Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
where are the mealworms?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

makes me want to read a stack of old GamePros

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The best console, living on

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I can't believe I missed 9/9 this year

I never went back and finished my replay of grandia 2 either

I'm a bad friend, I'm sorry dreamcast

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To this artist: Sorry for kicking your rear end with Accel over and over again in Powerstone 2

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played? Regardless if it was 30 years ago or last month.
My first memory is Rambo first blood part ii (Sega master system)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WITYnVFbroI
It came out the year of my birth 1986

We had master system, genesis and Saturn, my dad was pissed most of the Saturn games were not to his taste so we went playstation after that. Ps1 and forward

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely played that Rambo game at a guy's house that we visited when I was six.

That's actually probably my first Sega game too now that I think on it. We had a NES at home at the time but wouldn't get a Genesis for a few more years.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My first Genesis game was probably Sonic since it was the pack in title. Maybe Shining Force though, since that's the reason I got a Genesis in the first place. I honestly don't remember.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Pretty sure mine was Altered Beast, and then Revenge of Shinobi.
Bi-Mart had a demo unit for both the Genesis and the NES which were behind the counter in a glass display case. Depending on who was working on any given day it was either the younger really chill guy who would just give you the controller and go do whatever, or it could be the crotchety old guy who enforced the 10 minute trial period VERY strictly and would reset the machine on you also.

Then one day we marched in there with our $189 and bought the thing. It was the greatest day of my gaming life taking that thing home and plugging it in, cranking up Altered Beast and spending all night playing it.
Then a mere 4-6 weeks later we got our bonus controller and Ghouls n Ghosts. I still have both games though we gave that genesis and power base converter to a friend when my brother got a CDX years later.

I think I currently have 4 model 1 Genesis units, 1 model 1 sega cd, 1 32x, 2 saturns, 6 or 7 game gears, a nomad, and 2 dreamcasts.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think my Genesis came with both Altered Beast and Sonic 1.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I really kind of want to get a Mega Drive and a model II Genesis to complete the set.

edit: I just impulse purchased a Mega Jet.
in my defense it was only $207 shipped confirmed working.

otter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 13, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I am definitely a supreme late comer to Sega, didn't really play anything they made(aside from possibly some arcade stuff) till they made the switch to 3rd Party Developer and started putting their stuff on the GBA and GameCube

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just scored the hallmark Genesis tree ornament with the stupidly loud SEGA chime.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

otter posted:

edit: I just impulse purchased a Mega Jet.
in my defense it was only $207 shipped confirmed working.

Never even heard of or seen a Mega Jet before until this post :stare:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

katkillad2 posted:

Never even heard of or seen a Mega Jet before until this post :stare:

Same. Sega really went ham in the 90s when it came to weird hardware.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think my Genesis came with both Altered Beast and Sonic 1.

I played the poo poo out of Altered Beast. Not sure if it was a pack in or not, but it's one of my favorites.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Walla posted:

I played the poo poo out of Altered Beast. Not sure if it was a pack in or not, but it's one of my favorites.

It was the original pack in for the Genesis. It’s not a great game but I still enjoy it. I like the 3D port on 3DS since it lets you use different transformations in unintended levels.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Walla posted:

I got Altered Beast and Jewel Master - I was so sad I didn't get Sonic 1 :smith:

(if you haven't, you should all check out the OST for Jewel Master, and the composer's other work - he's loving good)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also look at Jewel Master's JP box art because it's gorgeous

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

It was the original pack in for the Genesis. It’s not a great game but I still enjoy it. I like the 3D port on 3DS since it lets you use different transformations in unintended levels.

I didn't get mine until '92. Sonic was firmly the mascot by then.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Walla posted:

I didn't get mine until '92. Sonic was firmly the mascot by then.

Same. I didn’t want a Genesis until Sonic. I was kinda shocked to learn years later that the system actually came out years before Sonic.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I know I got a Genesis II with Sonic 2 as the pack-in game, but I feel like I probably had played some games beforehand at friends’ houses and such. Pretty confident I played or saw Altered Beast before I had a Genesis of my own.

Skipped the Saturn, jumped from PSX to the Dreamcast at launch, which came after months of reading about it in EGM.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saturn is the only Sega console released in the US that I never had and I still regret it. I also never had a CD and 32X but those don’t count and I don’t regret it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Saturn is the only Sega console released in the US that I never had and I still regret it. I also never had a CD and 32X but those don’t count and I don’t regret it.

Mega everdrive pro will play all the sega cd games on your genesis without the cd hardware so that takes care of that. Saturn is a must own though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

otter posted:

Mega everdrive pro will play all the sega cd games on your genesis without the cd hardware so that takes care of that. Saturn is a must own though.

One of the main appeals of building a mister for me is Saturn compatibility. I’ll get on it someday.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It wasn't my Mega Drive, but at the time (circa 1991), this friend got one with two packed in carts: Sonic 1 and a three-in-one compilation with Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Revenge of Shinobi. Having only been exposed to fami-clone and ZX Spectrum output before, I had never seen something as beautiful as all of those games were.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
shinobi iii return of the ninja master and streets of rage 2 are probably some of my most frequently played games besides rocket league which I am now approaching 1000 hours in.

I traded Shinobi iii to my neighbor for alisia dragoon and always kind of regretted that, not that it's a bad game... Shinobi just slapped and I can about speed run a 100% secret item run.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I called Toys R Us every day for like 2 months to see if Genesis came in yet. Finally one day they said it did, was still on the truck, I came in and got it. This is of course before there were set release dates, at least that I would've known of. Things trickle in to your area whenever they do, just like any other 'toy'.

Pretty sure I was first in my metro region to get it. So my first Genesis was Altered Beast, which i played A LOT. Next was probably Thunder Force II?

(I had a master system prior)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you decide to sell here, dibs on the Nomad!

How much would a nomad sell for? I have one and have always hated it because I wanted a playstation.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

kntfkr posted:

How much would a nomad sell for? I have one and have always hated it because I wanted a playstation.

About $30. Do you want Venmo, or PayPal?

I can’t even remember what I paid for mine? $120 or $150 it was $200 with the AA battery pack.

otter fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 18, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I bought a Nomad off of my mom's coworker's kid, along with all his games, in...maybe 2002, 2003? I had been saying "Hey, if he ever wants to sell this, I'm in the market" for years at that point; finally I think I quoted a number that was too rich for him to pass up - IIRC I was flush with summer job cash and went up to something like $125. But I walked away with the Nomad, the carrying case, the battery pack and like a dozen games. I still have pretty much all of it (recently sold a couple of the games for a lot more than I expected to get) and intend to mod the hardware someday, though I saw recently that the carrying case alone can fetch $150 on eBay. That might not stick around much longer.

Speaking of, I'm about to put my Sega CD console in the mail after a very quick eBay sale (It was listed for maybe 12 hours.) My youth group leader gave it to me around the same time that I bought the Nomad. He had picked it up secondhand from a friend who was disappointed with it, basically never touched it, and figured he might as well unload it on the kid he knew who was into games. I don't know that I ever hooked it up before two weeks ago when I checked to see that it worked (I can tell you from recent experience that Sewer Shark is not a good game.) Thanks, Steve, you effectively gave me a high-yield 20 year bond.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JethroMcB posted:

(I can tell you from recent experience that Sewer Shark is not a good game.)

BOGEYS INCOMING

LEFT DOWN RIGHT

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Despite owning a cib copy of sewer shark I think I played it for Ike an hour in 1998. I remember not being able to really make out what was happening on screen. I really should give it another shot some time. Or they could remaster it no put it on the switch. Then I could buy it not ever even launch it like I did with night trap and double switch.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I will forever associate Sewer Shark with playing it at a kiosk at Babbages in some mall in Daytona.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

otter posted:

Despite owning a cib copy of sewer shark I think I played it for Ike an hour in 1998. I remember not being able to really make out what was happening on screen. I really should give it another shot some time. Or they could remaster it no put it on the switch. Then I could buy it not ever even launch it like I did with night trap and double switch.

A friend of mine had a mega cd that someone gave him and a ton of games like Sewer Shark, Ground Zero Texas, and Night Trap. Even in the mid 90s we knew these FMV games sucked once the novelty of horribly compressed video wore off.

I thought sega cd was a poo poo add on until recently I decided to play Snatcher. Even that is pretty much a graphic novel but it’s a lot of fun and has good style if you like Hideo Kojima.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
i played snatcher recently as well and it was pretty fun and i enjoyed the story more than i thought i would. i need to get around to policenauts next

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Booted up the MD2 Mini yesterday. This is a rather unique selection of games compared to previous MD game compilations for sure, including obviously the first MD Mini.

The included controller has a pretty good D-Pad, as all my special inputs on Fatal Fury 2 worked without missing a move. Thankfully it's the 6 buttons one this time. Unfortunately "just" six buttons probably means it won't be very useful outside the MD itself, since everything I can imagine on PC these days require L+R buttons

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I taught myself basic soldering so I could swap out the buttons and levers in my green goblins. I know it's frowned upon to hack these things up but the upgraded controls make it actually fun to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I taught myself basic soldering so I could swap out the buttons and levers in my green goblins. I know it's frowned upon to hack these things up but the upgraded controls make it actually fun to use.

I've always wanted one of those. I have a different stick for the DC which is fine and all, but the buttons are slightly mushy and I could probably disassemble and sand everything to a nicer glide but instead I started building my own DC stick. I should take some pictures and maybe even finish it. I really just need to break out my router and do some finish work and it will be complete-ish.