Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my only exposure to dune is the game dune 2 and also the movie tremors and tremors 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

my only exposure to dune is the game dune 2 and also the movie tremors and tremors 2

i was trying to explain to a co-worker who kevin bacon is

the guy from six degrees of kevin bacon, obviously

or the guy in tremors, it had reba mcentire as a gun nut and the guy from gently caress me i'm old

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

the guy from gently caress me i'm old

which guy is that? i only really clicked with the series after gently caress me i'm old 4: georgia gilfs

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Radio Paranoia posted:

which guy is that? i only really clicked with the series after gently caress me i'm old 4: georgia gilfs

yeah so it was strange but it was actually patrick swayze and i always want to spell his name "suaze" for some reason

he passed from steve jobs disease but did some great work in dance dance dawn: the dancening

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I thought it was kind of impressive that Villeneuve did all that setup and mini world building in a 3 minute scene that is then just never referenced again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the weird little asymmetrical blink that piter does right at the end of that clip, and a few more times in the move iirc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah so it was strange but it was actually patrick swayze and i always want to spell his name "suaze" for some reason

he passed from steve jobs disease but did some great work in dance dance dawn: the dancening

I tried to watch roadhouse (never seen it) in the last couple of years and god drat.. I actually couldn’t

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

I tried to watch roadhouse (never seen it) in the last couple of years and god drat.. I actually couldn’t

rifftrax has several versions of it if mike nelson (boo) and kevin murphy and bill corbett do it for you

it deserves mockery but is an entertaining joint and just a weird time capsule

likewise red dawn

the brat pack fight communism with well, it has to be seen with context

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
if you want to pm me i'll give you my plex contact info

i generously support those fools on patreon

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
and for anyone who doesn't know mike nelson is both chud adjacent and promoted rifftrax and such with lowtax and lowtax did the guest commentary on trolls 2: no trolls

https://www.rifftrax.com/troll-2

uh yeah

not a big fan of either of these guys but they got a chortle out of me

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
image for the image thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

it deserves mockery but is an entertaining joint and just a weird time capsule

suppose it was more just the casualisation of non-consent

like some drunk dude is hitting on some chick and she seems mega unhappy about it and patrick swayze is like when borat said “this is the town rapist naughty naughty”, which is just something I struggle to just put aside to watch the rest of it. I think

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

suppose it was more just the casualisation of non-consent

like some drunk dude is hitting on some chick and she seems mega unhappy about it and patrick swayze is like when borat said “this is the town rapist naughty naughty”, which is just something I struggle to just put aside to watch the rest of it. I think

oh yeah i was thinking you meant swayze but yeah there is probably a casual take on sexual assault that is mind blowing from any sane perspective

it's been a while since I've seen it but 80s movies just do that

good point

you could also say that about back to the future but it doesn't make it better

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
maybe i'm amayze, it's patrick swayze

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fuckin :c00l:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

image for the image thread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought it was kind of impressive that Villeneuve did all that setup and mini world building in a 3 minute scene that is then just never referenced again

that's what happens when you only film the first half of the book

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pity they left that bike gassed up for the robot that wasn't meant to be finished for another 20 years

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jay_mdbee/status/1580032739411398656

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yeah, i remember showing my wife a couple 80s movies and we always watch them then at some point i'm like "yikes i do not remember it going down like this".

like we watched trading places and we got to the train scene and i was like "oh drat i didn't remember this had blackface in it". or i was oblivious to it when i watched it as a tween or whatever.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

I will never log off.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

oh yeah i was thinking you meant swayze but yeah there is probably a casual take on sexual assault that is mind blowing from any sane perspective

good point

you could also say that about back to the future but it doesn't make it better

revenge of the nerds is super in that category of film. the increasingly worse implications "for laughs" are, i'm certain, responsible for irreparably poisoning a lot of dumbos that empathized with the nerds

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIJ2s_aT0k

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Agile Vector posted:

revenge of the nerds is super in that category of film. the increasingly worse implications "for laughs" are, i'm certain, responsible for irreparably poisoning a lot of dumbos that empathized with the nerds

i was about to post this one, or was it animal house, maybe both

i was on a huge "stereotypical american high school/college" movie kick some time back and those two i had to turn off half way

out of maybe 30 films

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

matti posted:

i was about to post this one, or was it animal house, maybe both

i was on a huge "stereotypical american high school/college" movie kick some time back and those two i had to turn off half way

out of maybe 30 films

do you mind if we dance with yo dates?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

Yeah, the last time I watched revenge of the nerds I was like drat. The jocks are right. These nerds are horrible and must be destroyed

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

matti
Mar 31, 2019

the Bring It On series was the best out of all I watched

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHKncwkXsyQ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I can't see kirstin dunst without thinking about that cringy "turning japanese" video she did

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor solidarity posting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that 2008 rambo is one of the most vicious, hateful, violent, pointless films i've ever watched

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

that 2008 rambo is one of the most vicious, hateful, violent, pointless films i've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3H2nnxQFLs

:911:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a few like that it seems lately. not my style but i am a completionist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also i looked up that anecdote. it's true lmao

although it didn't happen on 9/11, but still. i also found out that its 65 minutes long with 15 minutes of post-credits to make it feature length

and the villain is played by brent spiner

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

matti posted:

I wish I had for nerds. I think my memories of it were skewed by tv edits that cut out a fair number of the worst jokes, so it was especially hard to watch

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the last time I watched revenge of the nerds I was like drat. The jocks are right. These nerds are horrible and must be destroyed

Right?! If anything, they're doing the local community a service

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jonny 290 posted:

you should watch the 2019 one, it's even worse