Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol why tf would they disable sleep mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

that may not have been it. some update on my home pc stopped it from ever automatically going to sleep despite the setting being turned on. i have just been manually doing it as a result.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can we all just agree that it departments that gently caress around with system settings and then lock them down suck? my password is just fine, I don't need to change it every month, thx.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

since we started using 2fa (lol duo) we no longer have password expirations. as a result i have memorized the 21 character auto-generated gibberish that my password generator made for my work stuff.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

we also have password expiry but somehow it doesn't apply correctly on my account and my password stays the same in all but a few of our online services, crucially including VPN/SSO/Git/Domain user

I keep very quiet about this

Chris Knight posted:

ah yes the registry, famously being very open to changes by regular users and not locked down by admins at all

actually we can get local admin for a day or two by filling out a quick form, it's just that there is a program that forces us to do a policy check before connecting to the VPN

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 12, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
PowerShell code:
clear

$user = get-aduser "<username goes here>"

set-aduser $user -ChangePasswordAtLogon:$true
set-aduser $user -ChangePasswordAtLogon:$false
a fun lil script to reset the password expiration timer of a user while leaving password expiry enabled for the user so it doesnt get flagged in checkbox audits.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We've started using 2FA because some professor got scammed last year through their university account, and I don't mind it in concept, but the Duo implementation is just complete loving garbage. I have to do it at least half a dozen times every day because seemingly none of the systems talk to each other. Login to VPN, duo push. Login to email, Duo push. Log into class website, Duo push. Log into student advising portal, Duo push. All on the same laptop within 2 minutes. Repeat all of this an hour later if I go to class and want to use the teaching station instead of my laptop. gently caress oooooffffff

Also someone please tell me why I have to do a Duo login that pushes to my phone when I am accessing one of these sites on my phone? What is being accomplished there?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

seemingly none of the systems talk to each other

theres your problem, my university's sso implementation remembers sign-ons in the same browser session and i often dont have to re-enter my credentials if signing in to a different system, let alone another duo push

also duo push to apple watch is great, seems like a small difference compared to picking up phone but it is quite a bit nicer in practice

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

We've started using 2FA because some professor got scammed last year through their university account, and I don't mind it in concept, but the Duo implementation is just complete loving garbage. I have to do it at least half a dozen times every day because seemingly none of the systems talk to each other. Login to VPN, duo push. Login to email, Duo push. Log into class website, Duo push. Log into student advising portal, Duo push. All on the same laptop within 2 minutes. Repeat all of this an hour later if I go to class and want to use the teaching station instead of my laptop. gently caress oooooffffff

Also someone please tell me why I have to do a Duo login that pushes to my phone when I am accessing one of these sites on my phone? What is being accomplished there?

this would literally jokerfy me

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
is that personal laptop? i have to use my okta a couple times a month on my work laptop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Perplx posted:

is that personal laptop? i have to use my okta a couple times a month on my work laptop

It's everything. Personal laptop, phone, work laptop, desktop computer in a classroom, doesn't matter. Separate 2FAs for each university system you log into. Even poo poo like Zoom and Box.

You can set a cookie to stay logged in on each one you do, but it expires after 12 hours (and doesn't seem to work reliably anyway). So even in the best case you're doing the whole cycle again every morning

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yep. My best guess on why the IT department hasn't been tarred and feathered for it is that a lot of the professors are old fossils who just don't use their computers that much.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

can we all just agree that it departments that gently caress around with system settings and then lock them down suck? my password is just fine, I don't need to change it every month, thx.
thankfully they changed our password expiry to like 3 or more months when the whole COVID/wfh situation happened.

my biggest beef remains that Edge does alt-tab to switch tabs for some goddamn loving unknown reason and that setting is locked out by IT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

thankfully they changed our password expiry to like 3 or more months when the whole COVID/wfh situation happened.

my biggest beef remains that Edge does alt-tab to switch tabs for some goddamn loving unknown reason and that setting is locked out by IT

I loving hated that "innovation" and was so glad when I found how to disable it. Why would IT lock that one down???

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

that may not have been it. some update on my home pc stopped it from ever automatically going to sleep despite the setting being turned on. i have just been manually doing it as a result.

this happened to my home win10 desktop except its the setting that turns the monitors off automatically. have to press the power buttons manually all the time and it sucks. the “turn your monitor on” jokes are even more brutal to me because of this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
owned

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my mom tried to email herself some photos from ios and she couldn’t open the heic files in windows, and it prompted her to download the codec from the ms store, but it cost a buck 30 lmao get hosed M$

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I thought those codecs were free, but it might be some pro tiered/included with other hardware licenses deal which is pretty lol considering it comes on every other operating system for $0

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

lol welcome to duo. because ios blocks third party cookies i can never get the "remember me for 30 days" to work on my iphone or ipad and am just resigned to hitting the push button every time i log into canvas or our admin site. thankfully it saves on my desktop browsers. i have to use it every time for vpn access to remote desktop, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

polyester concept posted:

my mom tried to email herself some photos from ios and she couldn’t open the heic files in windows, and it prompted her to download the codec from the ms store, but it cost a buck 30 lmao get hosed M$

there's a way to send them in jpeg format. i think if you have it email any size other than full size in emails it will convert it. there are other ways, too, but i don't deal with it enough to care.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think this is the setting she wants to switch to Automatic:

settings > photos > it's at the bottom

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I think you can still set the camera to save as jpg in settings as well, although it would only apply to photos taken after you changed the setting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

there are things you can turn off in the registry to prevent windows from taking your freedom away from you

it’s harder than ever to force windows to run without a password (so a restart takes it back to desktop) but it’s possible

you can have an account pw and also restart to desktop, you're always been able to

just run netplwiz

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle:

yes you’re right that’s how i’ve done it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for better or for worse I’ve managed to set up my computers in the requires-least-loving-around way so it’s been years since I did whatever I did so it doesn’t auto restart or requires password to log in etc, and I forget the details

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

I thought those codecs were free, but it might be some pro tiered/included with other hardware licenses deal which is pretty lol considering it comes on every other operating system for $0

part of the h265 lump of standard afaik, and it is by now thoroughly political since the licenses are quite pricey and the main beneficiaries contributed more patent-applying than they really codec-constructing. so it caused the av1 alliance to be created, and that made microsoft as one of the creators to be pretty unmotivated to foot a bill for the thing they're trying to stamp out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Every morning when I come in my WSL2 system is frozen (all terminals stopped in their tracks) and Vmmem.exe is using either 1, 15, or 832 MB of memory and pegging all the CPU it can.

Only a reboot seems to fix it. Very good software!

edit: I guess I can escalate and stop and start the vmcompute / Hyper-V host compute service. Maybe my IT should stop my computer from going to sleep! :imunfunny:

Hed fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 13, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hed posted:

Every morning when I come in my WSL2 system is frozen (all terminals stopped in their tracks) and Vmmem.exe is using either 1, 15, or 832 MB of memory and pegging all the CPU it can.

Only a reboot seems to fix it. Very good software!

edit: I guess I can escalate and stop and start the vmcompute / Hyper-V host compute service. Maybe my IT should stop my computer from going to sleep! :imunfunny:

probably a wslg fuckup, tried a simple 'wsl --update' to make sure you're on the latest? have had that happen too, but not in a bit.

e: iirc win+ctrl+shift+b (which restarts the gpu driver) might also be a workaround if its the same issue. obviously a bit garbage that is happens at all, but then wslg is simultaneously amazing and very alpha-software-feeling.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 14, 2022

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

part of the h265 lump of standard afaik, and it is by now thoroughly political since the licenses are quite pricey and the main beneficiaries contributed more patent-applying than they really codec-constructing. so it caused the av1 alliance to be created, and that made microsoft as one of the creators to be pretty unmotivated to foot a bill for the thing they're trying to stamp out.

ugh, that's even more tedious and dumb than i could have imagined

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

that's not really a 'system setting' as a network policy.

that said, monthly or even quarterly password resets are total bullshit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mine only has to be reset every 6 months, but fortunately they haven't done the "cannot contain part of your last password" thing yet (knock on wood) so it's just passwordA, passwordB, passwordC, etc.

as if it matters since i spend half my day doing 2FA prompts now. three times just in the last two hours of student advising!

oh, and if you forgot your phone and think "no problem, i'll just use a computer instead" think again, poo poo-for-brains! we're tying you to these stupid devices until the day you die!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was briefly in a situation where I had to keep entering 2FA codes a million times a day due to things being configured stupidly but TOTP was enabled as an option so I was able to make it a lot easier than pulling out my phone every time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that's not really a 'system setting' as a network policy.

that said, monthly or even quarterly password resets are total bullshit

there's not reason to ever make me change my password. I don't re-use them and they are fine as-is

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

I think this is the setting she wants to switch to Automatic:

settings > photos > it's at the bottom

ty

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mystes posted:

I was briefly in a situation where I had to keep entering 2FA codes a million times a day due to things being configured stupidly but TOTP was enabled as an option so I was able to make it a lot easier than pulling out my phone every time.

someone at my org made a python script that runs the soft token, scrapes the 6 digit out of it, and pastes it into the form and submit it
they then posted this on yammer for some reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yammer still exists??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yammer still exists??

why would you post a 2fa token on a beer pong table?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: iirc win+ctrl+shift+b (which restarts the gpu driver)
why is there a shortcut key for that lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mystes posted:

gotta do somethin :shrug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mystes posted:

the developer(s) got sick of restarting the relevant service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

redmond people jealous of ctrl+alt+backspace on x11 (ok, so they don't do quite the same thing, but mostly serve a kind of similar purpose for getting the windowing system unstuck if something gets screwed up enough).