Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lmao jealous of x11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

just noticed the update also vomited a bunch of poo poo like roblox and whatnot all over my start menu

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did you know there's a linux version of windows defender? I didn't until I fixed a production outage by uninstalling it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mystes posted:

why is there a shortcut key for that lmao

I have to use this on my work laptop after I switch from my main pc using a displayport kvm. I'm glad it exists lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Private Speech posted:

just noticed the update also vomited a bunch of poo poo like roblox and whatnot all over my start menu

oh good, microsoft is still randomly resetting the "don't do awful things to me" toggles on OS updates

this one is in the start menu settings. it's called something like "show exciting new apps that will make my life more fulfilling"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that paraphrasing? plz tell me that’s verbatim

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can't fukkin wait for roblox!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Did you know there's a linux version of windows defender? I didn't until I fixed a production outage by uninstalling it.

lol no, amazing. what did it fix?

CACHE MANIFEST
Sep 17, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/training/modules/describe-azure-identity-access-security/6-role-based-access-control posted:

Microsoft Defender for servers brings threat detection and advanced defenses to your Windows and Linux EC2 instances."

:choco:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/0xalexei/status/1583242886401126400

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Uhh you’re supposed to ifdef that part out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so it appears that at some point after the win11 22h2 update but before the october cumulative update microsoft finally added back audio output device switching in the system tray (that they removed that feature pissed me off because i often switch between my TV audio and headphones):

https://i.imgur.com/O1DIb9a.mp4

also in the october cumulative update they added tabs to file explorer which they originally promised in the 22h2 update but apparently it was too hard. gotta say it sucks and is clearly hacked-on as there's a big delay from when you click the new-tab button to one appearing, presumably because it has to spin up a separate explorer.exe process in a tree outside of the parent but also linked to it or some poo poo idk

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

there's a big delay when you do ANYTHING in explorer in windows 11

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nice military desktop, western tankie

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ty for the trip report. will stay on windows 10.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

might upgrade to win11 this weekend and see what breaks. gonna probably build a 13700K machine later this year and iirc win10 never got a fully functional big.little scheduler

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tabbed explorer opens fine on an i9 9900k, but i can't drag a tab out to a new window and i'm not sure if it's ms ineptitude, that all explorer windows are their own instances (maybe that's default, now?), or both

i want to say the first one, because vscode doesn't have a tab-to-new-window pattern, either

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also, i normally want two windows so this is a useless feature chasing after something useless finder did years ago. give me split panel views, you cowards :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the paradigm where you’re constantly moving windows around and having to care which order you select them so that you can move files .. sucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the paradigm where you’re constantly moving windows around and having to care which order you select them so that you can move files .. sucks

Huh?

Drag the file from your desktop or wherever onto the target window's taskbar spot, and hold it there for a second. The window will pop to the front even if it's minimized. You can then drop the file into the target.

Also you can cut and paste files from one place to another with the usual shortcuts.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i want to say the first one, because vscode doesn't have a tab-to-new-window pattern, either

this is really annoying

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i'm still mad that clicking the audio icon doesn't open the mixer anymore

and that there isn't even a setting to change it back

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sagebrush posted:

Drag the file from your desktop or wherever onto the target window's taskbar spot, and hold it there for a second. The window will pop to the front even if it's minimized. You can then drop the file into the target.

they got rid of this feature in Win11

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lomarf. welp yet another reason i'm sticking with 10 i guess.

xp good
vista sucked
7 good
8 sucked
10 good
11 sucks

maybe 12 will continue the cycle

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apparently win10 does have a big.little aware scheduler so I won't need to upgrade if I do end up buying a 13700K

phew

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

burning swine posted:

~Coxy posted:

they got rid of this feature in Win11

actual lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

apparently win10 does have a big.little aware scheduler so I won't need to upgrade if I do end up buying a 13700K

phew

huh? everything I’ve read says it doesn’t know how to effectively use the new e cores

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but i'll again say: the ways in which windows 11 are bad is so dumb that it is very high comedy, unforced messing stuff up for no reason. *but*, it's not broken or daily infuriating like a windows vista or anything. there's no real reason to wring ones hands about getting hardware for which the support is better on 11, just upgrade, it'll work out and you'll get to add content to this thread when you find microsoft being pointlessly dumb in yet another way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

probably a wslg fuckup, tried a simple 'wsl --update' to make sure you're on the latest? have had that happen too, but not in a bit.

e: iirc win+ctrl+shift+b (which restarts the gpu driver) might also be a workaround if its the same issue. obviously a bit garbage that is happens at all, but then wslg is simultaneously amazing and very alpha-software-feeling.

Thanks, I tried this but it still fucks up. I even tried editing .wslconf or whatever and removing the stuff I had in there (like memory limits under Win10) and leaving everything defaults, then after your tip doing the WSLg disable. No effect unfortunately.

Win11 is spectactularly bad for me... between my work laptop pegging CPU with Vmmem.exe coming out of sleep, and my desktop keeps doing this thing where it makes sounds, keyboard and mouse work, etc. but the screen doesn't wake up. I can RDP into it and everything is there, but it refuses to light up my display. RTX 2080.

It's a POS!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but i'll again say: the ways in which windows 11 are bad is so dumb that it is very high comedy, unforced messing stuff up for no reason. *but*, it's not broken or daily infuriating like a windows vista or anything.

The stupid interface changes that are going to ruin my workflow are the same as it being broken.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah installing bad software "ironically" on a main device doesn't seem like a great decision. i will wait until they iron out win 11 a bit more.

its actually kind of nice that they left win 10 behind because there's less of a chance MS will mess up its interface via an update now that their eyes are on win 11.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 22, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

its actually kind of nice that they left win10 behind because there's less of a chance MS will mess up its interface via an update now that their eyes are on win 11.
this is an interesting point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm gonna run win10 at work until 2025 if i can

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

yeah installing bad software "ironically" on a main device doesn't seem like a great decision. i will wait until they iron out win 11 a bit more.

there's nothing ironic about it, the point is that it is worse and dumber in ways *mostly* irrelevant, so if you gain any material advantage from the "upgrade" (e.g. your chosen cpu works, wslg, if it works for you) it's mostly nbd. it is genuinely, even in use, more funny than problematic.

runaway wslg issues aside, no suggestions on that but that's for sure a real problem. somehow went away for me, but no idea why.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

huh? everything I’ve read says it doesn’t know how to effectively use the new e cores

yeah, i don't think they backported the part of the scheduler that reads the thread director so it's just less efficient

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088749/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's nothing ironic about it, the point is that it is worse and dumber in ways *mostly* irrelevant

arbitrarily changing the interface of something i use every day professionally is not an irrelevant change.

imagine if you took your car in for service and they were like "guess what! as part of your warranty, we've upgraded you to the newest version of our driver interface. we've moved all the AC controls around and there's a joystick instead of a steering wheel and there's no button to roll the windows down anymore -- just swipe on the edge of the touchscreen. we think you're going to love it!"

you simply do not gently caress around with a system that people rely on day to day. it was less of an issue in the past, because you could just stay with the old version forever, but now with everything as a ~cloud service~ and forced updates all the time it's become a serious problem. boy i love starting up photoshop and finding that they've reset my interface customizations and changed a bunch of keyboard shortcuts overnight! gently caress you

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

imagine if you took your car in for service and they were like "guess what! as part of your warranty, we've upgraded you to the newest version of our driver interface
Tesla has got you covered

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i expect you're right for your case. for me and, i think, many other people, engaging with windows' os level keybinds and interfaces is a very small part of my day, to the point that i am not sure what changes are messing with it up for you.

like the kind of stupid things i am faced with is the old right-click menu in explorer being a submenu down, changing audio outputs being an additional click, which are both monstrously dumb, but have cost me maybe 30 seconds of productivity over the last 6 months, where wslg has saved me some hours in a much more sensitive workflow loop.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

at least they prepared me for the start menu being unusable by already making it mostly unusable in 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

burning swine posted:

if you have the Xbox overlay running you can hit win+g and it has a mixer pane, I actually find it to be really useful