Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This is a remake of a free game that was pretty popular on some japanese freeware sites a while ago. It's a one man project made up of a lot of free art so it looks kind of janky, although a long-time Vanillaware artist has gone through and improved a bunch of it for the remake. Not really a metroidvania, it's very combat focused with a lot of rpg elements. Really reminds me of Ys 3 or Faxanadu. I've been having a blast with it since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

About an hour in and I like it so far. It's not a Blood clone at all: the influence is there, but it really is its own game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gedonia

quote:

Gedonia is a classic open world rpg, featuring a complete freedom of building your character, exploring a huge world and completing quests.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256782218/movie480_vp9.webm
90% positive based on ~1300 reviews.

Scorn

quote:

Scorn is an atmospheric first-person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256910565/movie480_vp9.webm
70% positive based on ~550 reviews.

Trifox

quote:

Trifox is a colourful and cartoonish action-adventure featuring a phenomenal fox with a multitude of talents! Choose from a trio of classes – Warrior, Mage, Engineer – or mix-and-match abilities to create a tailor-made hero! Inspired by the golden age of 3D platformers.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256907871/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wow, Scorn finally came out. It’s also on gamepass.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like how Scorn is sandwiched in between those two colorful games.

Trifox looks like dumb fun. I'm a sucker for the fun colors / somewhat minimalist/ isometric perspective. Deaths Door, Tunic etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I post games in the order Steam emails me about them.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

lets hang out posted:

although a long-time Vanillaware artist

I guess that explains the rapid jiggle boobs at 1:20

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

Wow, Scorn finally came out. It’s also on gamepass.

It’s also really loving awful.

The visuals are a treat (story is interesting as well) but god drat does the combat feel like a poorly aged PSX game. The devs sure love wasting the players time with unskippable cutscene that happen AFTER checkpoints.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I really don't know that the geiger environment/setting lends itself well to active gameplay.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The visuals are a treat (story is interesting as well) but god drat does the combat feel like a poorly aged PSX game. The devs sure love wasting the players time with unskippable cutscene that happen AFTER checkpoints.

It's also extremely difficult to work out what to do, since the game offers no narrative or information whatsoever, and the Giger rooms have a tendency to all look the same.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Terror_of_Hemasaurus just released. It's a modern Rampage remake with some physics-based destruction thrown in. Looks pretty neat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A Plague Tale: Requiem

quote:

Embark on a heartrending journey into a brutal, breathtaking world, and discover the cost of saving those you love in a desperate struggle for survival. Strike from the shadows or unleash hell with a variety of weapons, tools and unearthly powers.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256907951/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The first one was pretty good so I have high hopes.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

grate deceiver posted:

Terror_of_Hemasaurus just released. It's a modern Rampage remake with some physics-based destruction thrown in. Looks pretty neat.

Got 30 minutes into it, and it does what it says on the tin. Chucking cars into buildings is a lot of fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Communist Bear posted:

It's also extremely difficult to work out what to do, since the game offers no narrative or information whatsoever, and the Giger rooms have a tendency to all look the same.

I think it owns, love the commitment to the theme and art style. I feel like most games look underdeveloped and massively less visually pleasing in comparison. And I enjoy working out the puzzles with no handholding and kind of trying to create my own narrative for what's going on there. To each their own!

I admit that the combat can be kind of annoying, they could've done a much better job with that but it's still kind of fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256911308/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1666030664

quote:

You’ve inherited your uncle’s potion shop—and a huge debt. Better get brewing! Customize your store, hire heroes to gather ingredients, befriend (or romance) fellow vendors to learn new haggling strategies, and go head-to-head with competitors in this narrative-driven, deck-building shop simulator.
Very Positive reviews (91% out of 172)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/616040/Tales_of_the_Tiny_Planet/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256690476/movie480.webm?t=1500382201

quote:

Tales of the Tiny Planet tells the story of a separated group of planet friends who want to reunite. You have to assist them against the dangers of time and space.
91% positive out of 12 reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1921340/Fallen_Legion_Revenants/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256902264/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1661278544

quote:

Your choices will decide the fates of many! Manipulate the castle above and lead heroes into battle in the world below in this real-time action RPG!
5 positive, 1 negative. Not really my thing I don't think but I did misread a scene in the video as 'you must seize farts with your own hands' which at least made me laugh

Play fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 18, 2022

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

I think it owns, love the commitment to the theme and art style. I feel like most games look underdeveloped and massively less visually pleasing in comparison. And I enjoy working out the puzzles with no handholding and kind of trying to create my own narrative for what's going on there. To each their own!

Yup, fair enough! :) There's definitely going to be people who enjoy this, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Cross-posting from the Adventure Game thread:

Lucy Dreaming just released today on Steam. It's a charming homage to classic adventure games with lots of references that those who grew up in the late 80's/early 90's will spot.

quote:

Discover a dark family secret and rid a young girl of her nightmares in this splendidly British point & click comedy adventure. Playing as sharp-witted Lucy, explore both dreams and reality to meet all the colourful characters who'll help you solve puzzles, gather clues and find a murderer.

Ride your bike around the small British town of Figgington to meet its sardonic residents. Use your map to explore every corner, from its run-down town centre to the local pub as you discover the town's deepest, darkest secrets.

It's a point-and-click with your basic four commands (Look at, Pick up, Talk to (or sometimes use mouth), Use (also your use inventory item with...) There's full (charmingly British) voice acting - and there's a lot of it, even for such silly things like "Talk to Fan". There's a bunch of quality of life features, like a hotspot indicator key by holding space, double-clicking exits for immediate scene transitions, you can use A/D to change the active command, and W/S to change the current inventory item.

I've only barely started, I still haven't accomplished the first main objective (only a bunch of sub-objectives), and I'm having a blast.

The game has a demo, which is a different scenario from the actual game and has different puzzles and dialogue (it seems to take place slightly before the start of the game), but it should give a good idea what the game is like.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 18, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LIGHT:Black Cat & Amnesia Girl

quote:

"Light" is a 3D adventure puzzle game, in which you play as a cat. You will help a little girl who has lost her memory escape by leading her through four-level mazes with different style.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256909618/movie480_vp9.webm
90% positive based on 41 reviews.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Play posted:

I admit that the combat can be kind of annoying, they could've done a much better job with that but it's still kind of fun.

I believe I saw a Scorn artbook on my Amazon feed if people dig that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's something to the idea of walking around a 3D rendition of a Hey Really Giger painting, but the gameplay doesn't work.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Potionomics is extremely good. Check it out.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Eschatos posted:

How much dating sim/vn stuff is in it? That's really not my bag.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eschatos posted:

Shame it doesn’t have better Deck controls, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
building relationships with other vendors gives your more cards for the STS haggling proportions and eventually discounts on their services. you raise this by doing the harvest moon/rune factory thing of giving gifts, and then the occasional events. romance is separated from this and involves just picking the flirty actions.

you spend much more time on the management/life sim mechanics than reading stuff. its basically atelier with less story and no jrpg bits. its good.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Snooze Cruise posted:

building relationships with other vendors gives your more cards for the STS haggling proportions and eventually discounts on their services. you raise this by doing the harvest moon/rune factory thing of giving gifts, and then the occasional events. romance is separated from this and involves just picking the flirty actions.

you spend much more time on the management/life sim mechanics than reading stuff. its basically atelier with less story and no jrpg bits. its good.

It's basically Persona social links. You can spend time/give gifts with people to rank up their relationship for bonuses.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1766100/The_Last_Hero_of_Nostalgaia/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256911753/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1666198025

quote:

The Last Hero of Nostalgaia is a satirical action-adventure, driven by a dark story, set in an incredibly rich and complex world.

Nostalgaia, the world of videogames, is collapsing backwards into a mysterious pixelation, with every particle of fidelity bleeding away. Oblivion seemingly awaits even our most cherished gaming memories. But as the lighting dims and frames diminish, with the world on the brink of extinction, hope emerges to fight back.

As the most hideous pixelated hero to ever spawn in Nostalgaia, you must fight through an army of its mindless inhabitants, while being jeered by a cynical narrator who despises your very existence.

Featuring hard but fair combat that fans of the genre will relish, along with *full character customization, unique battle armor and engaging narrative mechanics rich in lore, The Last Hero of Nostalgaia’s twisted and wicked tale is prepared to send you headfirst into almost certain death around its every vertex.

I played the demo, I liked it quite a bit so far, although it's only about 30 minutes long for the demo. It immediately feels a lot like the original Dark Souls, although the demo didn't have any parry to speak of. Attacks were a pretty basic one-two or one-two-three combo, the included boss fight could chunk half a health bar but also didn't get overwhelming with stupid-rear end combos. I never felt good enough for DSIII or some of the crazy boss combos I see in Elden Ring, so this seems geared right up my alley. The narrator is a bit much though, I'd be enjoying myself just as much if there was no overarching "YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE, GROSS UGLY PIXEL MAN" being spouted the entire time.

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 20, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Speaking of Potionomics,I understand that you manage your time in order to make good enough potions for some kind of competition - what happens if you fail the various stages of this competition? Do you get rewound a few days and have to start over or something?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of Potionomics,I understand that you manage your time in order to make good enough potions for some kind of competition - what happens if you fail the various stages of this competition? Do you get rewound a few days and have to start over or something?

its best 2 out of 3. game over if you fail 2. you reload a save then, the game keeps a quicksave for the morning every day. you will straight up win a competition if your potion ends up being a higher price than your opponents, if not you do the card minigame.

the time management is def going to give people brainworms but it feels fine to me.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 20, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/959860/The_Valiant/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256911479/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1666198017

quote:

Embark on a journey of brotherhood and redemption in The Valiant, a squad-based RTS set in 13th Century Europe and the Middle East. Command and level-up your medieval knights as you fight through an epic SP campaign, then take your skills online in both cooperative and competitive MP modes.
Mixed reviews with complaints of game modes not working and it being similar but worse to Ancestor's Legacy.

Also it looks like Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves (which is either Uncharted 4 and a DLC or Uncharted 4 and another Uncharted game, not sure since I've never played them) came out on steam.

Also I do enjoy Potionomics so far. Good characters and an engaging but mostly relaxing gameplay loop. I don't trip about time too much since it seems pretty easy to keep your coffers topped up potions sell for a whole lot more than ingredients cost. The animated character portraits remind me of that MOBA netflix show in both good and bad ways.

Unfortunately I've got like a million games to finish plus am about to start on the new Plague Tail

Play fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 20, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

its best 2 out of 3. game over if you fail 2. you reload a save then, the game keeps a quicksave for the morning every day. you will straight up win a competition if your potion ends up being a higher price than your opponents, if not you do the card minigame.

the time management is def going to give people brainworms but it feels fine to me.

I guess my question is, is it possible to put yourself in a situation where you absolutely hosed up and can't win, or will that card game always give you a chance (albeit low sometimes) to win it

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It is absolutely possible to gently caress up and not win it, and have to go back days in saves to do better.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

This is awesome, thanks!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
The person responsible for that Zelda OoT Sudoku from back in 2020 made it into a full game with more features.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1806960/Mythos_Sudoku/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256910862/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

A WHOLE NEW WAY TO SUDOKU
It's more than just a grid: simultaneously solve multiple puzzles and uncover magical items that will help you along the way. Discover up to 9 themed sudoku variants, each with its own environment and a unique set of rules to match. With completely randomly generated puzzles, you'll get a new experience every time.

I played through it the last few days (~12 hours total) and it was very chill if you like sudoku. Some of the variants are wild and it's all randomly generated. The final boss in particular had a really cool twist.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

skeleton warrior posted:

It is absolutely possible to gently caress up and not win it, and have to go back days in saves to do better.

With potionomics I'd point out the game is quite buggy. There is an issue with loading saves, especially if you had press escape to go to the title menu.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2004110/DYSMANTLE_Underworld/

Ooh, an expansion to this fun relaxed game!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh nice, hope it comes to playstation soon. Really quite liked that game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Warhammer 40,000: Shootas, Blood & Teef

quote:

From the developers of the Guns, Gore and Cannoli franchise comes a new 2D run & gun platformer: Warhammer 40,000: Shootas, Blood & TEEF! Spearhead an Ork invasion, destroy the hive city and kill your warboss! ‘Ere we go!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256911645/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet, but if you played Guns, Gore and Cannoli you probably know what you're getting into here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vampire Survivors

quote:

Mow down thousands of night creatures and survive until dawn! Vampire Survivors is a gothic horror casual game with rogue-lite elements, where your choices can allow you to quickly snowball against the hundreds of monsters that get thrown at you.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256911886/movie480_vp9.webm
98% positive based on 120k reviews, spawned an entire genre, etc., etc.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If someone in this thread has somehow avoided Vampire Survivors until now you should probably get it. Also, I mean, it's $4. What else are you going to spend it on, half a burger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bremen posted:

If someone in this thread has somehow avoided Vampire Survivors until now you should probably get it. Also, I mean, it's $4. What else are you going to spend it on, half a burger?

Thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991144

Seriously it's the best $4 you'll spend on any game that isn't Binding of Isaac.