Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
^^^ this

I love goons and all but c’mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Way to show your whole rear end.

I believe thats what they do on onlyfans, yes.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

but the lack of transparancy and hostility to any questions about where the money is going is a big red flag lol

:emptyquote:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Proposal: A community fund to help goons in need

Reality: Someone spends a hundred dollars on reds in a vtuber chat to hear their name

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's weird how our government has provided a regulated (not brilliantly well, but the regulation exists) system by which people can set up charities that collect money and distribute it according to some kind of charter or ethos, supervised by a small group of people, with public records and requirements for transparency (and tax advantaged status!), and yet taking advantage of this system is never even remotely on the table when someone sets up a "goon" "charity" because that might impede their grift it'd be too much work

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Goongape.org

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

It's weird how our government has provided a regulated (not brilliantly well, but the regulation exists) system by which people can set up charities that collect money and distribute it according to some kind of charter or ethos, supervised by a small group of people, with public records and requirements for transparency (and tax advantaged status!), and yet taking advantage of this system is never even remotely on the table when someone sets up a "goon" "charity" because that might impede their grift it'd be too much work

I don't know if Patreon keeps track of total funds, but the amount from Goon Fund has to be at least $50k by this point, likely closer to $100k depending on when the donations started pouring in.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've never read that thread but is it really true that there's literally no transparency? An unknown amount of money about $3500 USD a month goes in and an unknown amount of money come out and nobody save the owner of the Patraon account knows to whom it was sent? Who decided who money gets sent to?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 15, 2022

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This might be a controversial statement, but I don't think these Centralized Goon Charity Fund setups should be allowed on the forums. They inevitably end in tears.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
PM sent.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Kins posted:

This might be a controversial statement, but I don't think these Centralized Goon Charity Fund setups should be allowed on the forums. They inevitably end in tears.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never read that thread but is it really true that there's literally no transparency? An unknown amount of money about $3500 USD a month goes in and an unknown amount of money come out and nobody save the owner of the Patraon account knows to whom it was sent? Who decided who money gets sent to?

Yes, it was part of the OP about the entire purpose of the fund

Plinkey posted:

Here's the deal, there's a lot of our cspam fellow posters that sometimes can't make ends meet and they end up needing maybe $30 or $40 to get through the week/end of month to buy some food, or some paper to whipe their rear end.

Well, we had a pretty great system going until it burned down into a pile of embers, but rising from that fire is this thread...the goon fund paetron.

I know, you're all thinking who the gently caress is Plinkey, and what are they going to do with my $5 a month donation?

Well, you'll never know, that's the thing, because I'm not going to call out goons that are hard up and need an extra $50 to not get kicked out of their apartment.

I will post no tesitimonials, or PM quotes, if you want to endorse this thing or not, it's up to you.

https://www.patreon.com/goonfood

Fund has been running for almost 3 years at this point.

Again, 0 transparency but

Plinkey posted:

So yes, it's a new month, but it was running short last month, and 250 or 500 bucks as a time is not what this fund was designed for. I'm sorry, that's not sustainable, its for like 50-100 bucks for food and stuff to feed yourself or your family.

Plinkey posted:

i think i got you

also please donate, the fund runs out by like the 25th most months

So what the gently caress is this?

Aerofallosov posted:

Thank you. May I request the usual monthly? And have fun with the video patreon.

Plinkey posted:

like i told you before, yes, but the amount you've asked for is like over a grand

And uh....what?

smarxist posted:

i know first hand Plinkey takes a pretty decent hit to his own income to run the GoonFund, turning it into a charity apparently would have cost more in the long term, so everything that comes in hits his own personal taxes, also he goes into the red pretty much every month and covers people

would it be cool if it was some fukken perfectly ran thing yeah i guess, but as it stands, it's probably doing the most good it can without turning into someone's 20+ hour a week job

Sorry, what the gently caress? What even is going on? At this point there needs to be a mod intervention for Plinkey if he's taking in $30-40k a year in donations and having to pay taxes on it out of pocket. How in the hell would setting up an actual charity be more expensive then the current situation?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 15, 2022

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: ^^^ That's loving insane. Goons are dumb as hell

Let me check Charity Navigator...

Oh wait it's just some anonymous person on the internet goons are giving money to.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Lmao that patreon brings in more per month than I do at work

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The single person running the Patreon decides if the person asking for money is sus or not. I assume most people don't ask for a ton of money, but it all seems stressful and draining. The Patreon host snapping at any mild questions about the money doesn't help, and people pushing back at any concern or negativity because one person was "brave enough" to shoulder that burden is a bit off for "communal funds." The guy doesn't seem inclined to run off with the money, but it's an awkward gray area of operation, imo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

To file with the IRS to be tax-exempt, you must file the 1023 form, which costs either $275 or $600 depending on which form you use. This means that filing costs in total will cost at least $350 - $675. This process will vary depending on your state and type of nonprofit.

What am I missing? Someone explain to me how for three years Plinkey has been reporting 10s of thousands of dollars as revenue, paying the taxes on it, and giving it out to goons is somehow cheaper then the above.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

pentyne posted:

What am I missing? Someone explain to me how for three years Plinkey has been reporting 10s of thousands of dollars as revenue, paying the taxes on it, and giving it out to goons is somehow cheaper then the above.

Somehow I don't think "I collect money and give it to random people that send me a private message on these forums I post on" will cut it as a tax exempt charity organization. And is more likely to get the OP investigated for money laundering.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

pentyne posted:

lol I call bullshit on the idea that he is claiming that as income and paying taxes not out of the fund. goons are so loving stupid

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Yeah there is like zero chance he's paying the taxes himself and anyone who sincerely believes he is must be a loving incredible rube

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
god drat i want some money so bad

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I got the tude now posted:

Somebody is getting a grand a month. Naturally they would be willing to share some of that with you, if you need it.

edit: makes you wonder how many recipients are Koala's March alts

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would buy a playstation 5 and all the games for it if i was given that much money

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Get a job

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
years of meditation have freed my mind of want for money and now i merely need money

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone is getting a g note each month, thats almost a third of the entire fund. Goons are donating to a community fund where a single person gets nearly a third of it to themselves.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Leal posted:

Someone is getting a g note each month, thats almost a third of the entire fund. Goons are donating to a community fund where a single person gets nearly a third of it to themselves.

they own a lot of hungry cats

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Send a PM then, you lazy so and so.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's a cool idea and the thread sounds like it has genuinely, seriously helped a lot of Goons out of tight spots. That's legitimately awesome! All the other stuff, however, is enough to say 'uh oh how's this going to end'

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they own a lot of hungry cats

It is apparently $1,000 a month for FOOD for one person.

And the Goonfund is also a monthly Patron to another Patreon for a video game streamer than the OP will not explain and he swears is not him.

ulmont posted:

Plinkey, I’m trusting your judgment here, but why did I just get a notice that goon fund is a patron of a video game streamer (aclee)?

Plinkey posted:

shut the gently caress up, im not acllee

I also just noticed one specific poster defending Plinkey for a recurring donation he set up to go to his own bank account that he "promises he will pay back each month" and not telling people what it was for:

50s girl groupon posted:

I know we’re basically past the whole oooOoodrama anyways but like do some of y’all really think when the goon fund gets depleted every month and some poor bastard is like can I have $10 for ramen that Plinks is out here like ohohoho peasant that is my streamer money! And not like opening his own drat wallet to feed a goon?

Sorry I am STILL disappointed in people about this.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone should send me $400 because I can't find the cash I took out the other day. Which is probably in the last pair of pants I wore, but, you know. Give me some money thanks.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m p sure the one dude is not getting a grand a month, I think he asked for over a grand over time in smaller chunks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dewgy posted:

I’m p sure the one dude is not getting a grand a month, I think he asked for over a grand over time in smaller chunks.

weirdly, none of us can really know by the deliberate nature of how the money is being managed

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

DaysBefore posted:

It's a cool idea and the thread sounds like it has genuinely, seriously helped a lot of Goons out of tight spots. That's legitimately awesome! All the other stuff, however, is enough to say 'uh oh how's this going to end'

I instinctively distrust anything smarxist says good things about.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I also just noticed one specific poster defending Plinkey for a recurring donation he set up to go to his own bank account that he "promises he will pay back each month" and not telling people what it was for:

Oh poo poo, saga crossover!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hungry...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i found this website about possible legal structures to explore in setting up your mutual aid fund: https://www.theselc.org/mutual_aid_toolkit one of the things it says is

quote:

At which point will incorporating be worth it for the organization?

Again, there’s no clear threshold, but here are some guidelines that may help:

Do you foresee yourself operating indefinitely?

Are you disbursing funds, and not just services and goods? If so, are you moving cash funds of more than $5,000?

Is your group or are your volunteers engaging in high risk activities, such as entering homes or distributing food on a large scale?

What is your level of risk tolerance: would you prefer to err on the side of abundant caution?

The more “Yes” responses you gave, the more complex your operation, and the more likelihood it is that some kind of entity formation discussion would be beneficial.

lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

pentyne posted:

weirdly, none of us can really know by the deliberate nature of how the money is being managed

might as well make wild unsubstantiated claims.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This person also got shouted down in the thread for this entirely reasonable post:

Tyson Tomko posted:

To put it bluntly, stealing from goons is a tale as old as time. Being careful and cautious about a purposely obscured $4k/month fund to a single dude is simply smart. The whole "don't donate if you don't trust it" is a true and wise statement but don't get me wrong I'm not choosing any side here but no need to be disappointed in anyone. I believe Plinkey has done some very helpful stuff to plenty of goons sure but nobody knows the truth but him and them, and it's all good.

-- I'm tired as gently caress and apparently reading dates horribly wrong in my control panel don't mind me, looks like I just rephrased what HelloSailorSign said weeks ago. Free advert for the cause I guess

And someone suggested allowing someone else to help screen the requests and the OP weirdly says he has way too much screening to do, but also nobody can help screen the requests:

my cat is norris posted:

Plinkey, is there any way for someone other than yourself to help out? Could someone volunteer to screen the inbox for scams?

Plinkey posted:

there are two people i would trust enough

To be fair, it does look like most of the $10 and $20 requests are being fulfilled.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
is plinkey actually tricking anyone into donating under the pretense that there is transparency? the op seems pretty explicit about just how much transparency there is (0%) and how much (100%) is just based on trusting that plinkey wont koalas march away despite the long history of that kind of thing happening. if people see that and donate anyway and it appears to be helping some goons (and their cats) who may or may not be eating like kings maybe just leave it be until it actually does blow up. it'll be a lot funnier by that point anyway. if you think this might be a good goon scam saga you're doing yourself a disservice trying to kill it before it really begins.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cuttlefush posted:

is plinkey actually tricking anyone into donating under the pretense that there is transparency? the op seems pretty explicit about just how much transparency there is (0%) and how much (100%) is just based on trusting that plinkey wont koalas march away despite the long history of that kind of thing happening. if people see that and donate anyway and it appears to be helping some goons (and their cats) who may or may not be eating like kings maybe just leave it be until it actually does blow up. it'll be a lot funnier by that point anyway. if you think this might be a good goon scam saga you're doing yourself a disservice trying to kill it before it really begins.

You're right that pretty much everyone is aware that they are signing up for something with 0 transparency. But, still pretty weird.

And a billion red flags.

Why is he allegedly paying thousands of dollars in taxes out of his own pocket instead of just filing to be a real charity for $225?

I guess it is better to be up front about the lack of transparency and promises to pay back what they take out of the fund than to do it under false pretenses. Not great, but better.

:shrug:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DaysBefore posted:

That's the thing. Say, only half of it is spent on helping goons, and the rest is pocketed. That would be just enough to have a steady stream of goons thanking you with no transparency at all how much they actually got from you. How is anyone to know?

I also don't understand what the deal is with total lack of any transparency being a feature. Sure, some people would probably prefer to remain anonymous, that's fair, but can't you at least post a list once in a while detailing who requested help, who got the money, and for what? How is this not the absolute minimum everyone participating would expect?

I'm a fairly trusting person, often to a fault, and it usually takes me some effort not to immediately come up with a dozen of reasonable explanations of why something shady is actually completely above board, but this is just ridiculous. Even if the person in charge has the best intentions, we are all people, and for the sake of their own personal wellbeing at the very least, there needs to be some accountability in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You're right that pretty much everyone is aware that they are signing up for something with 0 transparency. But, still pretty weird.

And a billion red flags.

Why is he allegedly paying thousands of dollars in taxes out of his own pocket instead of just filing to be a real charity for $225?

I guess it is better to be up front about the lack of transparency and promises to pay back what they take out of the fund than to do it under false pretenses. Not great, but better.

:shrug:

idk have you tried asking the guy?