Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All -- great thread, from what I've read (first few pages and then the latest ten or so, since the market changed so much from the time of the OP). It gives me hope that 2-3 randos might actually read my book someday.

My situation is this. I'm halfway through the second pass on my first novel, currently a 113K word fantasy work that I'm sure will come to redefine the genre, assuming anyone makes it past the second chapter.

All joking aside, when I do publish, it'll be a high-quality work, however long and however much work that takes. But because I have no name recognition and it's only the first book, it's not likely to move many units, so I want to keep the cost for the cover reasonable.

I also want to get a head start on the cover as I know that may take some time if I go down a custom route. I know Goonread is the bargain basement option, and actually had a couple of good, fitting, and catchy covers that have been taken :doom: Damonza doesn't have any budget covers that'll work, but I'll keep checking that page. Am I stuck at paying $400 for the cheap Damonza design option or is there a more reasonable option for me? I wouldn't know where to start finding a freelance artist, especially one who would come in under $400 while delivering quality work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Admiralty Flag posted:

All -- great thread, from what I've read (first few pages and then the latest ten or so, since the market changed so much from the time of the OP). It gives me hope that 2-3 randos might actually read my book someday.

My situation is this. I'm halfway through the second pass on my first novel, currently a 113K word fantasy work that I'm sure will come to redefine the genre, assuming anyone makes it past the second chapter.

All joking aside, when I do publish, it'll be a high-quality work, however long and however much work that takes. But because I have no name recognition and it's only the first book, it's not likely to move many units, so I want to keep the cost for the cover reasonable.

I also want to get a head start on the cover as I know that may take some time if I go down a custom route. I know Goonread is the bargain basement option, and actually had a couple of good, fitting, and catchy covers that have been taken :doom: Damonza doesn't have any budget covers that'll work, but I'll keep checking that page. Am I stuck at paying $400 for the cheap Damonza design option or is there a more reasonable option for me? I wouldn't know where to start finding a freelance artist, especially one who would come in under $400 while delivering quality work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Fiver, or goonwrite is great for covers.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Admiralty Flag posted:

answer there is: find a starving artist you know who's good and has the right stuff to do your cover, but is bad at getting work, $400 will be a delight to them.

frankly your cover will be your biggest expense, and it's absolutely worth it because 100% of readers judge a book by its cover.

helps if they're actually a graphic designer

I paid some truly miniscule sum for my first, but I was badly underpaying them and so I paid them much more for the second one.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

e: ^^ Thanks. Actually just remembered I have a graphic designer contact who's an artist back in Chicago. I'll reach out and see if they're interested but I'm not sure if they'll meet my budget-- but they may know someone who is.

DropTheAnvil posted:

Fiver, or goonwrite is great for covers.

Sorry, meant goonwrite when I typed goonread. Any specific fiverr recommendations that goons want to promote?

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 27, 2022

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Admiralty Flag posted:

Am I stuck at paying $400 for the cheap Damonza design option or is there a more reasonable option for me? I wouldn't know where to start finding a freelance artist, especially one who would come in under $400 while delivering quality work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

You could try Miblart (https://miblart.com/services/ebook-cover-design/) or their cheaper affiliated business, GetCovers, which is the ultimate budget option: https://getcovers.com/book-cover-design/

I haven't used either of them but I have heard them to be legit and reputable.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I knew my first cover was good when I posted it to my facebook and friends said "it doesn't look self-published", lol - that's the effect you want

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I know a very good cover artist that does anime style and they're quoting like $100 a cover.

https://twitter.com/FuyuDust?t=Fsq_z-cGeyn_afjy8c942Q&s=09

Twitter is fuyudust and they're active on discord.

This is my book and the cover was $600. Well worth

The Badger Company

Phylodox did the other cover and he is active on the forums:
Riverfolk Volume One
That wasn't as expensive by a long shot.

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 2, 2022

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
SelfPubCon 2022 is running a first line competition: https://selfpublishingadviceconference.com/first-line-competition/

No entry fee, all you need to do is submit an opening line, can be one that you've just made up on the spot or one from an already-published book.

Contest is being run by ALLi in conjunction with Kobo Writing Life (Kobo's self-pub platform) so this is a legit contest, not one of those scam ones. It is also not a popularity contest—entries are being judged by a panel consistent of: Orna Ross, ALLi Director, Kayleigh Brindley, SelfPubCon Manager, and Tara Cremin, Director, Kobo Writing Life. Winners will be announced by Tara Cremin on October 30th live at SelfPubCon.

4 prizes up for grabs:
* 3x 1-1 virtual meeting with a member of the Kobo Writing Life team and a copy of Creative Self-Publishing by Orna Ross
* Grand prize of: 1-1 meeting with KWL, a Kobo Elipsa eReader pack (value £349.99), and a choice of ten ALLi self-publishing guidebooks to upload to the eReader, a “Get It Published” self-publishing services package consisting of free products and services, across the seven stages of publishing, from a variety of approved ALLi Partner Members (further details TBA)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*sends in his Lyttle Lytton submission*

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
A friend of mine is dipping his toe into these waters and it's been nice to have someone to yak to about that stuff. He sent me his paperback ARC via KDP Print and I was darn impressed with the quality—I guess it'd been a while since I'd held a book in my hands that I knew to be print-on-demand, but honestly, I wouldn't have guessed.

My own output has slowed to a crawl, but I did do another one of my odd li'l stories this year. In hindsight it may amuse writers more than a general audience, but who knows. Free through Sunday October 16th!

---

Flailing twentysomething Riley is overworked, underpaid and crashing on her brother’s couch, perpetually glued to her laptop and phone to keep up with her meaningless work. She’s unhappy. She’s stressed. But the other Rileys aren’t.

Riley’s started noticing pictures of girls who look exactly like her. Everywhere she turns she finds a version of herself in an ad, on a screen, different jobs, different lifestyles, always smiling. As she keeps running into Riley after Riley, she wonders if there’s more to what she’s seeing beyond a simple set of stock photos. The answer is a multiverse away.

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Adam Bertocci has been praised by Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, The New Republic, GQ, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Back Stage, Broadway World, E!, Maxim, IGN, Wired, Film Threat and more. In this short story, he celebrates a decade of dabbling in prose by exploring the infinite.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0BHRLN8YC/

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 14, 2022

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Contact artists you like that you might assume would be out of your price range. Thats what I did and my first choice actually was available. Nowadays he's too busy to do art for indies because he works on big titles like special editions of "Howl's Moving Castle", but there's a lot of great illustrators out there.

You could also try doing a cover with AI, but...

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ccs posted:

You could also try doing a cover with AI, but...

On that subject, for anyone who missed it when I accidentally derailed the SFF book barn thread, an imprint of a Big 5 publisher (Penguin Random House no less) used AI art on a new release for a pretty big fantasy property:
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/440306/forge-of-the-high-mage-by-esslemont-ian-c/9781787632554

If you don't want to wade through Twitter and Reddit for the general reactions, I have a summary for you here:
https://youtu.be/ACQZvQ_Qwwk

TL;DR: AI covers are here to stay. If you're gonna use one, be prepared for reputational risk you're taking though also know that readers seem to generally cut self pub authors some slack, and most probably won't care (though the vocal minority who will generate visible buzz for you probably will). Decide if you're gonna use it based on your own situation and personal values and if you are gonna use it, disclose it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What would be the thread's opinion on using an AI cover, and then replacing the cover with a proper one once you have the money to pay an artist?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leng posted:

On that subject, for anyone who missed it when I accidentally derailed the SFF book barn thread, an imprint of a Big 5 publisher (Penguin Random House no less) used AI art on a new release for a pretty big fantasy property:
https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/440306/forge-of-the-high-mage-by-esslemont-ian-c/9781787632554

If you don't want to wade through Twitter and Reddit for the general reactions, I have a summary for you here:
https://youtu.be/ACQZvQ_Qwwk

TL;DR: AI covers are here to stay. If you're gonna use one, be prepared for reputational risk you're taking though also know that readers seem to generally cut self pub authors some slack, and most probably won't care (though the vocal minority who will generate visible buzz for you probably will). Decide if you're gonna use it based on your own situation and personal values and if you are gonna use it, disclose it.

What surprised me there was the combination of how poo poo the cover was and how notable a release they slapped it on.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What would be the thread's opinion on using an AI cover, and then replacing the cover with a proper one once you have the money to pay an artist?

I feel it's fine either way. Just own it and try to actually make a good one.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

What surprised me there was the combination of how poo poo the cover was and how notable a release they slapped it on.

Yep. It’s at about the same level as lovely Photoshop Cover from 2010.

newts fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 15, 2022

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So I did a book barbarian promo and it was a pretty small spike. I am guessing the equivalent of selling ~8 books with KENP combined with ebook sales. I wouldn't say that I have an opinion on it either way, but next I'll be trying some Facebook ads

The book barbarian ad was $60. I am going to try a run of Facebook ads.

https://davidgaughran.com/email-archive/
Is where I am going to try to learn his method for FB ads.

I did a week long promotional drop from 5.99 to 2.99 as a part of it. Also Germans love my book for some reason?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Comes down to your personal stance on using AI really.

Cover upgrades are normal. Fantasy covers don't tend to change except for special limited editions. John Bierce just redid all of the Mage Errant covers this year (he had premades for Books 1 through 4 before he earned enough to commission something for books 5 and 6). Kennedy Fox does romance and rebrands every series like...every 2-3 years or something like that, but romance is kind of an insane and different market.

If you're gonna do that though I would suggest sticking to ebook as your only format, because it kinda sucks for readers if you change covers halfway through a series and then you have the issue of non-matching covers. If you're publishing genre fiction, this probably won't hurt you because the majority of sales will be ebook anyway.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The first alpha reader has finished my book :freakout:, has come back with a lot of comments, said it was "engaging and enjoyable," and I'm just waiting for her to fill out the post-reading form. It's my wife, but fortunately she's blunt when I ask her to be, so I trust that she'll be honest. Still, I haven't been able to look at her comments yet. My perfectional rational presumption of what her assessment will be: :polls: Now just waiting on the rest of my first wave of alphas, who are at varying places in the book.

I finished another chapter in book two today, close to done with the first draft, but I can't write any more this morning. Maybe later today. Thought I'd do something else. I know it's a little early to do this but I wanted to float my blurb out there and see what people thought. I've been revising this incrementally for a couple of weeks now. All comments welcome.

I'm not fond of "It's derailing his plans!" but I want somehow to get across the frustration he feels in his perfect pre-planned life being upended by these unexpected events. Maybe just strike it?

quote:

The Mountain’s Call (The Melting of Magic: Book 1)

Durndan Shrivester is a wizard who enjoys peace and contentment: a steady job, a beautiful fiancé in the village, and a stable life that he’s planned out for himself. He’s happy and nothing could upset his world.

But then he starts exhibiting new magical powers – impossible powers. Why is this happening? It’s derailing his plans! With the help of his friends, he tries to keep everything on track, but then the elf-dreams start, pulling everything further off-kilter.

After a sinister discovery and a botched spell, Durndan has to flee everything he’s known. He must give up his old life and travel far, gathering companions both old and new to help overcome challenges and to fight off the Sage-Crafter Tercere, who would seize these new powers for himself – while Durndan desperately tries to master his new talents.

Will Durndan make it to the mountain called the Top of the World, where his elf-dreams say he will find the answers he needs? Or will he and his allies fall before the might of the Sage-Crafter?

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
^ I feel like I know what you're going for here, conjuring up a sort of hobbity, cozy fellow as your wizard, and I have a fondness for that stuff, so I've made an attempt.

The problems I see here are a couple of unnecessary details you perhaps don't need to tell people about right away, and a vagueness about the elf-dreams and why they're a problem. The adjectives I've chosen for your dreams may not be correct, but you get the idea. One thing I didn't take care of was 'new' coming up so much in the third paragraph, it didn't bother me at the time but now I'm not sure.

quote:

Durndan Shrivester is a wizard who enjoys peace and contentment: a steady job, a beautiful fiancé in the village, and a planned-out, stable, humdrum life, as magic goes.

But then he starts exhibiting new powers – impossible ones. Worse yet, ones outside his plan. And that's before a mysterious series of prophetic elf-dreams set in, pulling everything further off-kilter.

Following a sinister discovery and one botched spell too many, Durndan is forced to flee everything he’s known. To master his strange new talents, he must give up his comfortable routine and travel far, alongside companions old and new – all while fending off the Sage-Crafter Tercere, who would seize these new powers for himself.

Will Durndan make it to the Top of the World, where his elf-dreams say his answers lie? Or will he fall before the might of the Sage-Crafter? And most importantly, when will life be humdrum again?

Icon-Cat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2022

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

First: the book sounds lovely and definitely something I’d pick up. Happy to be a beta reader in the next round :)

I agree with basically all of Icon-Cat’s changes, and especially like the new ending. “When will life be humdrum again” is a much better question that reinforces the character and the tone, and helps your blurb stand aside from every other “will they defeat the big bad etc” fantasy stakes.

Two remaining thoughts:

- Not a huge fan of “following a sinister discovery”. I feel you could cut this without losing anything from the setup. The inciting incident, as I read it, is currently “one botched spell too many” which sets up decent stakes in my mind; I’m already thinking, well, what did he do? Accidentally burn someone’s house down? Turn the village mayor into a chicken? Which are more interesting to consider than “what’s the sinister discovery”, which feels generic.
- What’s a Sage-Crafter? How does he know who Tercere is? Spitballing, as I obviously don’t know their relationship, but something like “all while fending off his old rival, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” or “all while fending off his fiancé’s ex, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” or “all while fending off his college fling, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” each add a layer of personal interest to the conflict. Maybe this isn’t supported by the text, and Tercere is just some guy — but if there’s any way to make him relate to Durndan’s character, I’d highlight this here.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Admiralty Flag posted:

I know it's a little early to do this but I wanted to float my blurb out there and see what people thought. I've been revising this incrementally for a couple of weeks now.

You're gonna kill it when you get to self-publishing; I wish I had been as forward thinking as this. It is never too early to draft the blurb!

rohan posted:

I agree with basically all of Icon-Cat’s changes, and especially like the new ending.

:same:

The only thing I'm missing is a bit more sense of what the antagonist's motivations are to help me get a better sense of the tone. It might be clearer if I understood what these "impossible new powers" are—like are we talking about communing with the dead, summoning dragons, or the ability to make buttered toast fall butter side up? And what would be the worst thing that could happen if Tercere got hold of those powers? Is he a Sage-Crafter because he literally crafts magical artifacts from the body parts of other wizards? Or is it because he's known for his garden of sage plants and thinks everybody should convert to a diet of 100% sage and Durndan's powers of teleportation makes that possible?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Thanks for all the comments! You three have given me a lot of homework!

Icon-Cat posted:

^ I feel like I know what you're going for here, conjuring up a sort of hobbity, cozy fellow as your wizard, and I have a fondness for that stuff, so I've made an attempt.

The problems I see here are a couple of unnecessary details you perhaps don't need to tell people about right away, and a vagueness about the elf-dreams and why they're a problem. The adjectives I've chosen for your dreams may not be correct, but you get the idea. One thing I didn't take care of was 'new' coming up so much in the third paragraph, it didn't bother me at the time but now I'm not sure.
I definitely need to rework the blurb because the tone is sending the wrong impression for the book. It's more along the lines of "talented young man has a comfortable life planned out for self, fate intervenes, has to leave regular life, can't easily return, forced to go on adventure of a lifetime, and whole world is turned upside down." drat it, I realize I just described Bilbo Baggins but the tone of the book is way different. Good pick on adjectives, BTW, and good catch on 'new' appearing so many times. I even read it out loud and didn't catch that.

rohan posted:

First: the book sounds lovely and definitely something I’d pick up. Happy to be a beta reader in the next round :)

I agree with basically all of Icon-Cat’s changes, and especially like the new ending. “When will life be humdrum again” is a much better question that reinforces the character and the tone, and helps your blurb stand aside from every other “will they defeat the big bad etc” fantasy stakes.

Two remaining thoughts:

- Not a huge fan of “following a sinister discovery”. I feel you could cut this without losing anything from the setup. The inciting incident, as I read it, is currently “one botched spell too many” which sets up decent stakes in my mind; I’m already thinking, well, what did he do? Accidentally burn someone’s house down? Turn the village mayor into a chicken? Which are more interesting to consider than “what’s the sinister discovery”, which feels generic.
- What’s a Sage-Crafter? How does he know who Tercere is? Spitballing, as I obviously don’t know their relationship, but something like “all while fending off his old rival, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” or “all while fending off his fiancé’s ex, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” or “all while fending off his college fling, the Sage-Crafter Tercere” each add a layer of personal interest to the conflict. Maybe this isn’t supported by the text, and Tercere is just some guy — but if there’s any way to make him relate to Durndan’s character, I’d highlight this here.
I won't hold you to your promise until you read the revised blurb. Good notes, especially on the sinister discovery and reinforcing that it's not just one person misreading the tone of the blurb. Also, in this world, wizards are known as Crafters, and the Sage-Crafter is the king's closest advisor, but how the hell does someone reading my blurb know these things? Plus, I referred to Durndan as a wizard, not a Crafter in the first sentence, so why did I think that this would work???

Leng posted:

You're gonna kill it when you get to self-publishing; I wish I had been as forward thinking as this. It is never too early to draft the blurb!

:same:

The only thing I'm missing is a bit more sense of what the antagonist's motivations are to help me get a better sense of the tone. It might be clearer if I understood what these "impossible new powers" are—like are we talking about communing with the dead, summoning dragons, or the ability to make buttered toast fall butter side up? And what would be the worst thing that could happen if Tercere got hold of those powers? Is he a Sage-Crafter because he literally crafts magical artifacts from the body parts of other wizards? Or is it because he's known for his garden of sage plants and thinks everybody should convert to a diet of 100% sage and Durndan's powers of teleportation makes that possible?
Thanks for the compliment. I actually sent it off to my alpha readers to prime the pump for what they were going to read. Going to have to think about this critique...how to explain the powers without vomiting worldbuilding into the blurb? That'll be a challenge. You're right that clarifying why Tercere wants the powers will help with the tone. Plus, it can highlight the threat that he poses to the protagonist. The right few words here will do some heavy lifting for me.

Thanks again, you delightful goons!

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Based on what you've said here, I would revise your first paragraph to something like:

Serious-minded Durndan Shrivester is a wizard with a plan for his life: a steady job, a beautiful fiancé in the village, and a safe, stable future.

I am less concerned with defining Crafter or even Sage-Crafter, we know what a wizard is and that gets us through the back cover. Put another way, rohan and Leng both agree you could define your villain more, but I lean closer to rohan's view, better to say who he is to Durndan, not the world. (For what it's worth, I assumed Tercere was a wizard who also crafted artifacts, not a maker of wizards.)

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Admiralty Flag posted:

Going to have to think about this critique...how to explain the powers without vomiting worldbuilding into the blurb? That'll be a challenge. You're right that clarifying why Tercere wants the powers will help with the tone. Plus, it can highlight the threat that he poses to the protagonist. The right few words here will do some heavy lifting for me.

Icon-Cat posted:

I am less concerned with defining Crafter or even Sage-Crafter, we know what a wizard is and that gets us through the back cover. Put another way, rohan and Leng both agree you could define your villain more, but I lean closer to rohan's view, better to say who he is to Durndan, not the world.

This! The way you choose to define your antagonist shapes the understanding of the scope of your story. Defined in relation to the world (or the city) means you're leaning more towards epic fantasy, which you may or may not want. Basically, you want the scale of the stakes to be clear. Don't make my mistake, which was to get too focused on explaining things like backstory, the world, the magic system, etc.

If you want a good resource for blurbs, I'd recommend Robert J. Ryan's Blurbs Unleashed. He writes and self-publishes epic fantasy, so I find it easier to digest his advice compared to others. (I've read one by a romance author talking about universal fantasies and while I'm sure it works, I can't for the life of me figure out how to translate it from the romance context over to fantasy, nor can I keep the difference between what she terms a universal fantasy vs a trope.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Leng posted:

If you want a good resource for blurbs, I'd recommend Robert J. Ryan's Blurbs Unleashed...
Gotten. Took a first pass through it, haven't digested it fully, but his approach seems to make a lot of sense at first blush. I'll post my reworked blurb after I digest the book, rewrite the blurb, and maybe see what a couple more alpha readers say. Again, I appreciate every bit of help & criticism offered.

Asking this question here instead of the Fiction Writing Thread as I figure that more people here will be (a) writing novels and (b) writing sequels to publish on Amazon. How much recap do you folks generally like to include in (e.g.) book 2 of a series?
  • Include the last chapter of the 1st book as a prologue
  • Rewind a little bit in time as you write your first scene
  • Pick up where you left off, gently reinforcing key concepts/people for a couple of chapters
  • Pick up where you left off, but go heavy on the reminders for the first few chapters
  • Write a glossary/appendix for reference
  • Start off with a 8000 word treatise recapping the history of the world, your Mary Sue and the other characters, the magic system, and the unique races you've made up for the book that definitely aren't just copied over from the D&D game you've been running for years
  • Or something else?
  • Oh wow, when you use [ list ] and [ * ], hitting return automatically puts a new [ * ] at the start of your next line when composing a post, thanks Astral!
The genre is epic fantasy with pretty light worldbuilding/magic rules/etc. I've got an opinion, fairly strongly held, but I wanted to see what people thought because what I think may not be what is the best practice.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Admiralty Flag posted:

How much recap do you folks generally like to include in (e.g.) book 2 of a series?

The genre is epic fantasy with pretty light worldbuilding/magic rules/etc.

I'm dealing with this now since I'm writing book 2. Alpha readers have told me that Chapter 1, which is a confrontation between two characters, provides a pretty decent reminder of what happened in book 1 without being repetitive and still covering new ground. That, in combination with a prologue (which they have not read yet), should cover most things.

Probably what I will also do is to write a chapter by chapter summary for my website and direct readers to that. But I don't like putting that in the book itself, mainly because I'd have to work harder on the summary, and also because it annoys me as a reader since I binge read books and series. If a summary is in the book, I never read it.

If you want epic fantasy reader opinions though, this is the video to watch:

https://youtu.be/WVp7tTYc08E

Also read the comments (and I'm saying this unironically).

Leng fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 19, 2022

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Well this thread, and the writing one, have been an enormous help over the last ten months as I pulled myself out of a years-long funk. Got the first draft of my book done in Sept. and have been compiling my disparate notes for the second since then. Planning on NaNoWriMoing as much of that first draft as I can in Nov. Then back to book 1 etc. I don't think I'd be at this stage without these two threads.

If it's cool, I'd like to hear what people think of my blurb for the first one. (Seeing Admiralty Flag's post reminded me I need to get one down!)

quote:

Vampire playboy Eddy Fry has spent years living it up, so to speak, in Las Vegas. In all those decades not once has he met another of his kind.

Until tonight.

Not only are there other vampires out there, this one is from an old and powerful Vampire House. If it wasn't bad enough that she’s dead-set on muscling in on his turf, she’s got a small army of supernatural creatures at her beck and call.

Out-gunned and out of his depth, Eddy will need to find his own allies. Allies who know their way around this whacked out supernatural world he’s been ignoring for so long. Otherwise he might just see his first sunrise in years…

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I like it! It’s a tiny bit short, but I’m not sure if that’s really a bad thing or a good thing.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

newts posted:

I like it! It’s a tiny bit short, but I’m not sure if that’s really a bad thing or a good thing.

Thank you! Short in that I should tease with a bit more information? Or just be a bit more descriptive of what I am already teasing?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like it. It's short and punchy. Has good setting in the first paragraph, tension in "until tonight," and stakes are stated and then raised in the last two paragraphs

Quick notes:

1. Because it is short and you have the space for it, consider a brief, bolded tagline to kick it off.
2. If you're going to call out the play on words with "living it up," change "dead-set" to something else.
3. What sort of turf does Eddy have if he's been ignoring the supernatural world for so long?
4. Will your audience know what a Vampire House is? (Honest question; I don't read that much urban fantasy; I know it through osmosis with RPGs. You might consider changing it to something like "vampire bloodline" if it won't be obvious to almost all of your readers.) Also, unless you really feel the need to keep the caps, decapitalize it. FInally, if you capitalize it in your text or talk about vampire houses in your text, that doesn't mean you have to follow the same rules in your blurb.
5. What do you think about rearranging the turf/beck & call sentence? You state the stakes, but then they're sort of lost in the paragraph by the tension of her power at the end, which is a weaker construction, I believe. I think it would read better if you established her power with the beasties and then wham! stakes! (No pun intended.)
6. I took a crack at minor edits, mostly commas and a hyphen, with one change in your second full paragraph where there was some confusion around number. Didn't make any of the above changes. I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd have bolded them.

eta: about whether short is good, according to Blurbs Unleashed, you want to keep it under 225 words, and preferably around 150. (On mobile so can't count.) For my personal opinion, as to how long a blurb should be, it's like that old joke about a man's legs: long enough to reach the ground, or in the case of blurbs, long enough to grab the prospective reader's eye without turning them off. If I were into urban fantasy, I imagine that this blurb would grab me pretty firmly, and I'm not sure adding much to it would improve that. But I'm not your target audience, so I can't say that definitively.

quote:

Vampire playboy Eddy Fry has spent years living it up, so to speak, in Las Vegas. In all those decades, not once has he met another of his kind.

Until tonight.

Not only are there other vampires out there, the one after him is from an old and powerful Vampire House. If it wasn't bad enough that she’s dead-set on muscling in on his turf, she’s got a small army of supernatural creatures at her beck and call.

Out-gunned and out of his depth, Eddy will need to find his own allies, allies who know their way around this whacked-out supernatural world he’s been ignoring for so long. Otherwise, he might just see his first sunrise in years…

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 26, 2022

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well this thread, and the writing one, have been an enormous help over the last ten months as I pulled myself out of a years-long funk. Got the first draft of my book done in Sept. and have been compiling my disparate notes for the second since then. Planning on NaNoWriMoing as much of that first draft as I can in Nov. Then back to book 1 etc. I don't think I'd be at this stage without these two threads.

If it's cool, I'd like to hear what people think of my blurb for the first one. (Seeing Admiralty Flag's post reminded me I need to get one down!)

This seems quite good to me, it's simple, direct and has a strong hook.

One thing that tripped me up slightly is the question of: how can a vampire have never met any other vampires? Traditionally, you'd have to get bit by a vampire to become a vampire. If you answered this question or pointed towards it, that might give us more about what makes Eddy, and the story, unique.

To up the stakes a bit more, you could clarify why "muscling in on his turf" is causing problems for Eddy. If he just hangs out and parties all the time, why can't he and the other vampire coexist?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I dug in to the Admiral's comments, incorporated his punctuation suggestions and am trying out a tag line for the opener.

Viy, the question you raised is one of the mysteries in the plot that gets revealed quite late in the book. I was hoping the wtf-ness of the statement in the blurb would function more as a hook than as a deterrent.
I hopefully did adress the "turf" question from you and the Admiral with this version:

quote:

What dies in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Vampire playboy Eddy Fry has spent years living it up, so to speak, in Las Vegas. In all those decades, not once has he met another of his kind.

Until tonight.

Not only are there other vampires out there, the one after him is is older and much more powerful than he is. And if that wasn't bad enough, she’s got a small army of supernatural creatures at her beck and call. Before he knows it she’s muscled him out of the casino he calls home and left him with an offer he can’t refuse.

Out-gunned and out of his depth, Eddy will need to find his own allies, allies who know their way around this whacked-out supernatural world he’s been ignoring for so long. Otherwise, he might just see his first sunrise in years…

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
Just in time for Halloween, I've self-pubbed the second instalment of the super spooky Urban Fantasy, Unit 13: Just a Wild Ghost Chase

quote:

When Tom signed up to the Unit to keep the world safe from paranormal threats, it was with the firm understanding that he would be working from the safety of his desk. But with a wave of ghosts sweeping the city, Tom is forced into the streets, tunnels and graveyards of London to face the terrors that haunt them.

Meanwhile, elderly witch Martha has the ability to exorcise the ghosts. But she has another issue to deal with: Tom's agency will happily arrest her as a magic user if they lay their hands on her.

Can the unlikely pair set aside their differences to combat the sinister power threatening the city?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BKLDWX65

and the first instalment is free for the next few days: https://www.amazon.com/Only-Ghouls-Horses-Dan-Harris-ebook/dp/B09W1QFRLF/

Both are on KU if that's your thing.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Kindlepreneur just dropped an article that explains some of the newer scams being run on Amazon:
https://kindlepreneur.com/amazon-printing-scams/

It's like playing whack-a-mole.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's almost as though automating these processes without human oversight is an inherently bad idea.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

It’s so strange that you can’t restrict who’s selling your product. I know Amazon has a reputation for counterfeits, didn’t expect it to extend to books…

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
For anyone who's in the market for a cover, Damonza.com is having a Black Friday sale that has been extended to 11:59 PM EST Tuesday because they were having some issues with their payment gateway. You can use code BF15 at checkout to get 15% off and it seems to work on packages and add-ons as well as pre-mades: https://damonza.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/BlackFriday22Banner2.jpg

If you have a premade that's CLOSE to what you want but the changes go beyond "acceptable minor changes", I highly suggest emailing them and asking them to quote on what the additional cost would be. They quoted me $70, which is still cheaper than me using the premade as the concept for a budget ebook design.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Draft2Digital is now distributing to Smashwords.

No word as yet on merging for those of us already going out through both.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I am so excited for that news, because I now have very little reason to set up anything directly on Smashwords where you CANNOT schedule price changes damnit.

Also this survey came out:
https://www.writtenwordmedia.com/how-authors-evolve-with-their-income/

My takeaway is read more, write more and make sure you write good.

Edit: also get good covers

Leng fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Goons,

I want to thank all of you who gave me advice and guidance along the way. Just a little bit earlier today, my first novel, Blessed with Power Unwanted, hit Amazon as an ebook (also available on Kindle Unlimited). From general encouragement to blurb editing, this thread has been a boon to me.

I hope no one minds if I throw in a pitch for it! Though it's book one in the series, (a) book two is already written and being edited, and I hope to have it out by the end of February, and (b) most everything is resolved in book one rather than leaving everything on a lazy cliffhanger. I hope some goons check it out and enjoy it!

Blessed with Power Unwanted (The Thawing of Magic: Book 1)

Breaking the rules of magic was never part of the plan…

Serious-minded Durndan Shrivester is a wizard with a blueprint for his life: a steady job, a beautiful fiancée in his village, and a safe, stable future. Then he starts exhibiting new powers – powers that break the rules of magic.

With the help of his friends, he tries to keep everything on track. But a mysterious series of prophetic elf-dreams begins, pulling his whole life further away from his plan.

Finally, a botched spell and a disgraceful scandal force Durndan to flee his comfortable existence. He must journey far, alongside companions old and new, while fending off the king’s wizard, who would seize these incredible new powers for himself by taking Durndan apart, piece by piece.

Can Durndan make it all the way to the Top of the World, where the elf-dreams say his answers await? Or will he fall before the sinister minions and overwhelming might of the king’s wizard?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPF5DVB...ps%2C132&sr=8-1