Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm glad that people are now realizing that Kamiya was always a piece of poo poo who calls people who posts in different languages insects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

no. however it seems strange that hale would agree to replace her given her vocal stance on unionisation and fair pay and her own unionised status. presumably she will be getting paid a much better rate. these things together would indicate thaht all of the information required to understand what exactly has happened is unavailable, and so taking an extremely strong stance on it would be unwise.

Unwise lmao? There's no stakes in speculating and posting about the reason why a worker was wronged but good worm instincts to instantly take the side of the childrens toy company

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youve understood the situation perfectly. fantastic thread as always.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't know enough about Japanese organizational culture, but if that was a factor then it's still a gently caress up. International businesses have HR and regional reps to avoid exactly this kind of situation.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

youve understood the situation perfectly. fantastic thread as always.

You post itt like a dnd nerd except instead of poo poo that matters its about video games, lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Terminal autist posted:

You post itt like a dnd nerd except instead of poo poo that matters its about video games, lmao

This is the thread for discussing serious industry-related news, op

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the working conditions and behaviors within the gaming industry do matter, and the subject deserves thoughtful and reasoned discussion

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If at any point you find yourself siding with a corporation over its employees without extremely clear cut evidence that the employee is actually in the wrong, you've hosed up bad.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Stux posted:

the working conditions and behaviors within the gaming industry do matter, and the subject deserves thoughtful and reasoned discussion

"Its about ethics in game journalism" stux 2015

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux posted:

if lowballing rather than outright firing is indeed a cultural difference that would make a difference. i think a more recognisable va would make sense if it was someone with a recognisable voice doing a different voice, rather than a va who isnt really a draw or sales pushing name doing the exact same voice. and the implication of hale, again an outspoken unionisation proponent, engaging in what could be considered scab work given the previous va is now calling for a boycott, would demand a level of sobriety and patience regarding the situation.

If it's a cultural product of japan's work culture, then it's toxic as gently caress and there's zero reason to respect it. It doesn't make a difference if it's "normal in japan" because it shouldn't be. Workers rights are more important than respecting capitalist culture at their expense. There's also no reason to think Hale was aware of the situation at all, we have no idea what the circumstances were around her hiring and there's certainly the possibility she would not have taken the job if she knew what had happened.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i did not side with anyone. i understand that again my desire for discussion is counter to the impulse for being morally righteous but i would ask that you at least read what my posts say.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If it's a cultural product of japan's work culture, then it's toxic as gently caress and there's zero reason to respect it. It doesn't make a difference if it's "normal in japan" because it shouldn't be. Workers rights are more important than respecting capitalist culture at their expense. There's also no reason to think Hale was aware of the situation at all, we have no idea what the circumstances were around her hiring and there's certainly the possibility she would not have taken the job if she knew what had happened.

then it would perhaps be worth waiting to see what hales response is if anything, considering her stance.

as for the normality of different cultures, all we have to go on is incomplete information, again. so it seems rash to start throwing out attacks against an entire culture as it is being percieved in the current moment, when we have no idea what happened or why.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux posted:

we have no idea what happened or why.

We do have a video from the person who was lowballed detailing how she was lowballed, and she was clearly upset enough to blow up her career over it, and a tweet from kamiya saying "LIES ALL LIES also don't @ me about this or i'll block you"

that's not "no idea" that's "at least some idea" and is worth talking about.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

If at any point you find yourself siding with a corporation over its employees without extremely clear cut evidence that the employee is actually in the wrong, you've hosed up bad.

It doesn't sound like she was an employee, just someone they hired for VA work when they needed her for specific jobs, so I am not sure your rule applies here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think it’s fair to not yet be having a specific take about cultural differences based on what was originally posted in this thread as “word on the street”

Outside of that, I would be surprised if Hale comments, unless she also wants to break NDA. A proper journalist could dig in and uncover the full details and I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens, given that this story has gotten large enough to even be on TMZ’s radar.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Abhorrence posted:

It doesn't sound like she was an employee, just someone they hired for VA work when they needed her for specific jobs, so I am not sure your rule applies here.

So it's okay to lowball contract workers but not to underpay your actual employees? I don't think that makes any difference at all.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and she was replaced by another union worker whos outspoken about pay conditions who is presumably not taking the lowball offer. this would all be very clear if it was to kick out unionised workers and pull in people who would take poor pay and conditions instead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux posted:

and she was replaced by another union worker whos outspoken about pay conditions who is presumably not taking the lowball offer. this would all be very clear if it was to kick out unionised workers and pull in people who would take poor pay and conditions instead.

If Hale knew about the lowball, why would she take the job? If she didn't know about the lowball, how does that mitigate the circumstances at all? And why would Taylor blow up her own career over this if it's just some corporate misunderstanding?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Worth keeping in mind that when people say 'cultural thing' a lot of the time people think of something like, deeply ingrained or understood by all, but in reality a lot of this stuff is seen as dumb things old people do over there, too. Spend five minutes with some random Japanese office worker, buy him a beer or two, and he'll spend the entire time bitching about that exact kind of 'understood, cultural' thing.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So it's okay to lowball contract workers but not to underpay your actual employees?

Where did I say that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So it's okay to lowball contract workers but not to underpay your actual employees? I don't think that makes any difference at all.

there is a difference between giving someone a lowball "go away" job offer, and actually systematically underpaying a ton of contract employees a la Nintendo QA. most notably someone is actually getting underpaid in the latter scenario

doing this would be extremely insulting but this isn't like, say, the anime VOs literally getting paid $150

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If Hale knew about the lowball, why would she take the job? If she didn't know about the lowball, how does that mitigate the circumstances at all? And why would Taylor blow up her own career over this if it's just some corporate misunderstanding?

yeah its crazy its like we have no idea whats going on

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

when she was approached for bayo 3 she was given an extremely low offer (presumably lower than she got for bayo 1 and 2). she complained. they came back to her with a higher but still low offer. she turned it down. they then got someone else.

What it sounds like is that the work increased more than the salary. Apparently in Bayo 3 they wanted her to voice 5+ characters for that rate (which might be comparable to her previous wage.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway this is assuming that a "go away offer" was actually the reason for them quoting an insultingly low rate which I'm almost positive we don't know either

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stux posted:

yeah its crazy its like we have no idea whats going on

Taylor posted a video with a pretty extensive explanation of what happened, is there a reason you don't believe her?

e: vvv yeah it's this, but way to blow up my socratic method posting, jerk

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 16, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To say "we don't know enough about the situation to comment" is to say "I don't trust this woman who told us exactly what went on from her own perspective."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no, because i think there's a pretty big difference in the moral culpability of PG actually thinking they could get an entire game recorded for $4000 and them just wanting Hale for some reason and going about that in an insulting way. i don't think anyone is actually contesting the facts that she stated.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

she said she was lowballed, presumably because they did not want her back. we do not know why she was not wanted back in the role however she was replaced with a prolific union worker who likely demands a higher pay check than the person who does not do other va work at this point. thats literally all of the information available currently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jennifer Fail

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't actually care why they did it? How does that change the fact that they got rid of the classic VA in an insulting way and then publicly lied about what happened?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Clarste posted:

I don't actually care why they did it? How does that change the fact that they got rid of the classic VA in an insulting way and then publicly lied about what happened?

because however bad you think that is, i think it would be much worse if they legitimately thought $4K was a fair offer for that role.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What would have been a fair wage?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

because however bad you think that is, i think it would be much worse if they legitimately thought $4K was a fair offer for that role.

This is a difference without a distinction imo.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

what is known is hosed up and there's no special cultural sensitivity rationale that will make what is known justifiable and cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

the union rates were posted upthread. unless they expected Taylor to run through all her lines in around 9 hours, while counting all the “alternate” bayonettas as the same role, a flat 4k wouldn’t have been close

a flat fee was illicit to begin with, SAG-AFTRA rates are hourly

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Hard to know without knowing exactly how much work was involved.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This is a difference without a distinction imo.

its actually a gigantic distinction lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think either way just because she was the VA for however many years doesn’t automatically give her the future rolls till the end of time.

If they wanted to move on from her they should have just said that but whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hello thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MarcusSA posted:

I think either way just because she was the VA for however many years doesn’t automatically give her the future rolls till the end of time.

If they wanted to move on from her they should have just said that but whatever.

Depends on if her previous contracts for the role also gave her right of first refusal or something

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And why would Taylor blow up her own career over this if it's just some corporate misunderstanding?

Because she doesn't have a voice acting "career" other than Bayonetta so she has nothing to lose

mutata posted:

Hello thread

hi :)