Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Rings_of_Power#Critical_response That graph looks about right

The show has left New Zealand and started filming the second season in the U.K. on October 3 because they didn't want to pay to be within their nearly-zero-COVID pandemic restrictions and also "the Tolkien Estate [wanted] the series to be filmed in the UK since Tolkien was inspired by locations there for his books." I hope it resulted in the writers having more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

As Nero Danced posted:

I'm watching the last episode now, does it explain why he was floating around on a busted ship with a bunch of randos?

He couldn't forge the thing he wanted in the ice palace, got stabbed in the back by bad elf guy, to the point where bad elf thought that he was dead. Then he's on the boat - one could assume any number of things about how he got on it, where it was going (maybe there was a boat heading out of the northlands, to numenor or just down south), but it seems like he didn't have a plan. He had given up, but Galadriel kept pushing him until he found his grove again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe he was thinking about going to Valinor to repent

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

He got on some boat to get into Numenor then figured being picked up as refugees was the best option, then commanded the sea serpent to wreck it. Then when he picked up Galadriel he realized he needed to kill the witnesses so he called the sea serpent again and told her to knock Galadriel off so he could save her and she'd be indebted to him.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So Halbrand ended up being Sauron? Did they explain how/why at all?

Or is that a "coming in the next 5 seasons" thing?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

For everyone asking what Sauron's plan was on the raft, I thought his temptation scene with Galadriel indicated that at that point he had no plan. After having his previous body destroyed by Adar, he seemingly was despondent, temporarily giving up on his aspirations to "heal" middle earth, and is genuinely throwing in with refugees fleeing the southlands. I think when he tells Galadriel he'd given up until she pushed him to return to power, he means it.

It's a pretty huge departure, but I don't think he has a scheme at that point.

galenanorth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Rings_of_Power#Critical_response That graph looks about right

The show has left New Zealand and started filming the second season in the U.K. on October 3 because they didn't want to pay to be within their nearly-zero-COVID pandemic restrictions and also "the Tolkien Estate [wanted] the series to be filmed in the UK since Tolkien was inspired by locations there for his books." I hope it resulted in the writers having more time.

Interior sets are being shot in the UK, but landscape locations will still be shot in NZ.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Andor is no doubt good if you're one of the people who enjoyed Rogue One (I didn't personally) . I watched the first episode, found it extremely boring, will probably not bother with the rest.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I think all this buildup for the Andor Man character who stole Saulbrand's plans to build mount doom, the Morannon and Halbarad-Dur sounds like a lot of fanfic, honestly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I agree that probably the most likely thing was that he hooked up with the refugees in the hopes of arriving in Numenor with them so he wouldn't stand out too much, then try to finagle his way into the smithing guild so he could eventually work his way up to trying to complete the work he'd started in that icy-fortress from the first episode. Bumping into Galadriel like he did made him realize he could do away with the rest of the humans because if he shows up in Numenor with loving GALADRIEL then nobody is going to pay any attention to him.

The moment where he goes back and grabs the pouch I think really was a matter of him trying to figure out if he should stay in Numenor - he'd finagled his way into the smithing guild by that point, I think? - or go with them back to the Southlands where Adar was, and risk trying to get himself an in with Celebrimbor who he probably never could have imagined getting near until he fell into Galadriel's orbit.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So Halbrand ended up being Sauron? Did they explain how/why at all?

Or is that a "coming in the next 5 seasons" thing?

The answer to your question is contained in the show.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Also because he needed something to stuff his shrunken armor and mace in, and it had a long enough strap to fit around his neck in case he transformed into a really big troll or something.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

galenanorth posted:

This reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves with this show, they keep picking random bits of "pretty" geography in new zealand but it doesnt actually make sense in teh context of the books. Like in the 2nd to last episode they show the fleet leaving through a canyon??? in the anduin??? that doesnt exist

its just one of many examples and it shouldnt make me so mad but it does

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if sauron had given up and wanted to be incognito, why did he decide to make himself a king??? :thunk:

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Eau de MacGowan posted:

if sauron had given up and wanted to be incognito, why did he decide to make himself a king??? :thunk:

He didn't! Galadriel went into the Numenor archives and came back and said, hey the dead guy you said you took that pouch off of was a king! You're the king of the Southlands that just got usurped by some other guy by splitting him in two! No timestamps on this, but I'm pretty sure you're the rightful ruler of these people, even though they don't know who you are, where you rule from and don't actually have any kind of a government. So Sauron said "Ok".

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Finally watched the Finale and glad to see I’m not the only one that hated the end credits song.

Bruceski posted:

Season 2: Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees

Unironically this (called Funny Little Things in the movie) and Down, Down to Goblin Town from the Rankin and Bass The Hobbit were my absolute favorites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Finally watched the Finale and glad to see I’m not the only one that hated the end credits song.

Unironically this (called Funny Little Things in the movie) and Down, Down to Goblin Town from the Rankin and Bass The Hobbit were my absolute favorites.

Yeah, Rankin/Bass had great music. My only gripe is that In the Valley didn't have the same melody as my dad made up when he read the book to me as a kid.

Know what it didn't have? The One Ring poem as a song.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mullitt posted:

I'm not saying it is impossible from a lore perspective. I don't care about the lore and don't know what any of it is outside of the movies. It is bad from a dramatic perspective, which is what I am watching the show for. I am not reading a wikipedia page.

Them changing details of the wikipedia page (Silmarillion et al.) for TV drama ("Galadriel holding back the truth! How will her pride affect the Elves in the future?", "The very metal that will save the Elves will awaken the evil that ends the Dwarves!") is what diminishes this show though why would you want more of it

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Eej posted:

Them changing details of the wikipedia page (Silmarillion et al.) for TV drama ("Galadriel holding back the truth! How will her pride affect the Elves in the future?", "The very metal that will save the Elves will awaken the evil that ends the Dwarves!") is what diminishes this show though why would you want more of it

This is an instance of that though, right? He’s just trying to explain how their bad writing could be justifiable from a lore perspective. I don’t believe that the raft thing happened in anything Tolkien wrote.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sorry if this is a repeated topic, I'm getting back to the show again after a few weeks break. But did we decide on salbrand, hauron, salron, or what

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Saulbrand is the best

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

YaketySass posted:

I have no doubt that Andor or Hot D are miles better than this but the fact they're about Targaryen politicking and more Rebels poo poo mean they're in "heh, maybe I'll check them out eventually" territory.

the dragon show sucks huge rear end and is boring as hell. this bezos lord of the rings show is a trillion times better than it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

covidstomper58 posted:

He got on some boat to get into Numenor then figured being picked up as refugees was the best option, then commanded the sea serpent to wreck it. Then when he picked up Galadriel he realized he needed to kill the witnesses so he called the sea serpent again and told her to knock Galadriel off so he could save her and she'd be indebted to him.

yep

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I guess Durin's brother will appear in the next season or they wouldn't have mentioned him in episode 7.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BoldFace posted:

I guess Durin's brother will appear in the next season or they wouldn't have mentioned him in episode 7.

Justified or not, I think Covid hurt the show more than anyone wanted to let on. Having inexperienced showrunners was obviously a big problem, but on top of that they had to deal with a unique work impact that really limited how many actors could be on set, etc.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
What was supposed to be my takeaway when they sail back to Numenor and the blind queen asks why people are quiet?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Tortilla Maker posted:

What was supposed to be my takeaway when they sail back to Numenor and the blind queen asks why people are quiet?

There were black flags everywhere and Elendil didn't have the heart to tell her that her father had died.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The cut from isildur's sister touching the palantir to the elf tower exploding was so drastic I thought the palantir exploded for some reason. Very weird shot.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The guardian has done a write up about the show.

They say it was poo poo
Can't really argue with anything in there

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Taear posted:

They say it was poo poo

I can, they're praising Morfydd Clark's acting when she was just awful most of the time. Whoever were playing Elrond and Durin were the only ones doing a halfway decent job.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Double Bill posted:

I can, they're praising Morfydd Clark's acting when she was just awful most of the time. Whoever were playing Elrond and Durin were the only ones doing a halfway decent job.

I think her performance was good for the Galadriel the showrunners wanted, they just wanted a really weird version of Galadriel. She was good with what she was given.

Elrond/Durin were just plain good, Durin pleading with his father not to doom the elves was the high point of pathos in the show for me.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think Morfydd Clark did fine considering they just didn't give her much to do other than be a cool elf badass hellbent on revenge. Her scene with the human kid in episode 7 was good.

Anyway I'm mad that Poppy didn't go with Nori and her Wizard Friend. More Poppy please. You gotta have at least two hobbits to properly play off a wizard.

I wonder if this show will get into the barrow downs. That stuff always creeped me out more than anything else as a kid.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i didn't like what the show did with galadriel, but i don't think the actress was the problem

it was quite the creative decision to have all male elves look like members of monty python

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
The show has been great. The meltdowns have been equally great. Roll on season 2!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

The main actors were all good imo. some are miscast but did fine otherwise, like celebrimbor. Like he gets across what he is supposed do but i cannot get over how inappropriate he looks as a master smith

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kliras posted:

i didn't like what the show did with galadriel, but i don't think the actress was the problem

it was quite the creative decision to have all male elves look like members of monty python

Ha, ouch but true

The show had a chance to come up with its own spin on "what makes Elves and Men visually different from one another". Jackson went for long hair and solemn expressions on classically beautiful, ageless faces. But despite Nori and Poppy specifically calling out that Elves are "ridiculously beautiful" or whatever the phrase was early on in the season, this show seems to have decided on "pointy ears" as their sole differentiator.

They were already stepping into new territory with the casting of POCs, and there's nothing wrong with their deciding that having short coiffed hair was just as textually supported as long straight locks. But by casting "just some dudes" instead of people who look ethereal or anciently wise or alien in any way, they punted on the idea of establishing a new visual look that encompassed all those new ideas and still made it plausible that you'd be able to look across a crowded room and go "oh that guy's an Elf" without being able to see his ears.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Taear posted:

They say it was poo poo

TV critic write something without comparing your subject to a bunch of other pop culture references challenge

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

External Organs posted:

The cut from isildur's sister touching the palantir to the elf tower exploding was so drastic I thought the palantir exploded for some reason. Very weird shot.

I noticed the explosion wasn't all the way at the top of the tower so my first thought was "what the hell, did Pharazon just blow up the dead king? Did the dead king explode?!"

If you're going to have a show take place all across a continent (and then some) it helps if you have a map. Hell, they have a map, one of the more famous fake maps of all time. Play the Peter Dinklage song and sweep along the map when you're gonna jump around like that.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Hi I'm one of the wisest and most respected elves and have been alive for thousands of years and hunting sauron for a lot of it.I definitely haven't seen him lately tho and we really shouldn't even bring him up anymore

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Ha, ouch but true

The show had a chance to come up with its own spin on "what makes Elves and Men visually different from one another". Jackson went for long hair and solemn expressions on classically beautiful, ageless faces. But despite Nori and Poppy specifically calling out that Elves are "ridiculously beautiful" or whatever the phrase was early on in the season, this show seems to have decided on "pointy ears" as their sole differentiator.

They were already stepping into new territory with the casting of POCs, and there's nothing wrong with their deciding that having short coiffed hair was just as textually supported as long straight locks. But by casting "just some dudes" instead of people who look ethereal or anciently wise or alien in any way, they punted on the idea of establishing a new visual look that encompassed all those new ideas and still made it plausible that you'd be able to look across a crowded room and go "oh that guy's an Elf" without being able to see his ears.

Arondir was by far the best elf so the POC/short hair part is entirely bunk. He loving rules in that role and that is the kind of thing i wanted the most out of this show. Use the blank slate of the second age to tell cool new stories set against the main events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Double Bill posted:

Morfydd Clark is clearly a capable actress to anyone who has seen Saint Maud, but problem here is that her character was written and directed as the same in almost every scene