Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's okay I'm not 17 yet so we can't be legally married. Go on dates, my weird tanuki friend.

Remains to be seen if Elan or Shaddiq is the bigger antagonist. Unless they pull a wild card twist Elan is setting up to be a betrayer. Shaddiq is his daddy's mole but smarter than he lets on. If Guel cools off those two are the likely candidates to take over being the immediate enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Shaddiq cannot possibly be evil on the sole basis that he looks like Klavier Gavin.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Shaddiq feels like he might end up antagonistic since his father seems to want to actually enforce the ban more than most of the group, but also likely not too bad personally since they also seem to be the reasonable ones in the corporate board scenes.

Or they'll secretly end up the absolute worst.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'll speculate that Guel's brother is being set up as a bigger antagonist, what with the whole not having the family's surname and being very insistent on this duel being for the family's sake and not just [title drop] Guel's pride.

EDIT: Suletta, leading a youthful rebellion of high school kids against extremely lovely parents should also be on your list

Traveller fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 17, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as things developing it'll be interesting if Suletta keeps getting more proposals because the various benerit group members are all gunning for Delling and they want the Aerial and a partnership with Shin Sei before they stage s coup

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really love that the show's not afraid to do subtle stuff too. Guel stroking his own cheek and clearly remembering his probably-dead/divorced Mom when Suletta's talking about her's is a real nice character moment.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Taking bets on who proposes to Suletta next. Vegas odds has Nika on top, but I think her enthusiasm around Suletta is directed more at Aerial than anyone else. I'm thinking Guel's brother but as some sort of plot or rivalry to get in between those two.

Traveller posted:

Oh my god Guel Jeturk.

Suletta is absolutely a treasure. Mio-Mio owns. And man, that was a really fun fight, caught myself rooting for both sides and I loved the crazy grappling hook bit bullshit they got up to.

Yeah, I was actually kind of hoping that Guel would pull through for a draw after he told his dad to gently caress off, and was even thinking he might even win. I was a bit iffy on the dueling school concept but if they can keep pulling off fights like that I'm all in. I'll actually be kind of sad now when the harsh reality of space war rears its ugly head, this way I can root for one side or another to win without worrying about the implications it might have.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
jesus christ that ruled so much

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love that the show's not afraid to do subtle stuff too. Guel stroking his own cheek and clearly remembering his probably-dead/divorced Mom when Suletta's talking about her's is a real nice character moment.

I think the cheek stroke was because his dad just slapped him there earlier.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I honestly think the kids will rebel against the adults.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There does seem to be a strong theme of chafing parents

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Of course it doesn't have Atra. It's going for romantic comedy complications, and those are much more difficult to set up when someone's aggressively trying to make sure everything works with nobody feeling left out.

Which is a weakness of romantic comedies as they could all benefit from characters deciding to share and get to know one another even if they are technically supposed to be opposite sides of the triangle.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

I honestly think the kids will rebel against the adults.

I somehow don't think Suletta winning over two of the most influential heirs to her side in her first two days through empathy and inherent niceness is precisely how Mom's Vengeance Plan is meant to play out either

Aerial is probably also going to have to decide it's mother kinda sucks

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Probably gonna come a moment when Prospera's plan hits a key milestone and produces effects that directly clash with Suletta's goals. Maybe she'll ruin her daughter's first date.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
With all the talk in-universe of drones and auto pilots and ai control systems I’m worried moms plan will involve an Evangelion dummy plug moment with poor Suletta trapped in the cockpit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hogama posted:

Probably gonna come a moment when Prospera's plan hits a key milestone and produces effects that directly clash with Suletta's goals. Maybe she'll ruin her daughter's first date.

She better find the right time to do evil schemes as at Suletta's current trajectory she is going to be dating half the school.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hogama posted:

The Spiderman Homecoming scene except it's Prospera telling Miorine/Guel/Elan/whoever to make sure to show Suletta a good time and not get in my way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

It's okay I'm not 17 yet so we can't be legally married. Go on dates, my weird tanuki friend.

Remains to be seen if Elan or Shaddiq is the bigger antagonist. Unless they pull a wild card twist Elan is setting up to be a betrayer. Shaddiq is his daddy's mole but smarter than he lets on. If Guel cools off those two are the likely candidates to take over being the immediate enemies.

My money's on Shaddiq. But maybe they'll reveal that Elan is a cyborg and or AI or something at some point.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the cheek stroke was because his dad just slapped him there earlier.

That combined with his "A good parent?" line or whatever it was gave me similar vibes, because his dad sucks and he was probably reflecting on how poo poo his dad is.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

galagazombie posted:

With all the talk in-universe of drones and auto pilots and ai control systems I’m worried moms plan will involve an Evangelion dummy plug moment with poor Suletta trapped in the cockpit.

Unlike Gruel's lovely Gundam AI, Ariel's AI actually has a mind of her own and would side with Suletta over her mom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

God drat everything after Guel turns off the AI kicks so much rear end. I love that cockpit shot where he catches Aerial with the foot-hooks and spins around, the way she skips on the ground after cutting one loose, the final counterattack, all of it was awesome. I was worried that going back to beam weapons would make the action feel less meaty than IBO which only had melee and ballistic weapons, but it looks like I was getting worried over nothing.

Yeah, it's looking like it was a smart move to go with duels early on. Funnels really complicate fight dynamics, so having it be one-on-ones with clear win conditions means that the show can keep track of the various factors easier when storyboarding the fights.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao this episode owns

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it's looking like it was a smart move to go with duels early on. Funnels really complicate fight dynamics, so having it be one-on-ones with clear win conditions means that the show can keep track of the various factors easier when storyboarding the fights.

Actually that just made me realize something about the Earthican's status at the school; From what we've seen they're probably relegated to just Demi-Trainers seeing as the Houses have their own custom corporate grunt suits right?

If so then; They can't duel - The Demi-Trainer has no Horn to remove. Which makes Chu-Chu's custom one more noteworthy given it has one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Presumably if they want to duel they put a horn on the demi-trainer. Though it is good to point out that Chuchu's custom ride does indeed have a horn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potsticker posted:

Presumably if they want to duel they put a horn on the demi-trainer. Though it is good to point out that Chuchu's custom ride does indeed have a horn.

True, but given it's baked into the school's culture wouldn't be better to include one in the Demi-Trainer's design then?

To me, from what we've seen, it might say more about why Chu-Chu's got one and the other's don't given the inference that Earthicans are second-class citizens here, corporate sponsorship or no. They might have gotten in the front door, but they don't really get to participate in the local politics of the Houses. Especially if the Demi-Trainers probably can't stand up to any House grunts given the differences in designs/specs.

Chu-Chu customizing a Demi-Trainer into something that can Duel could potentially be something technically within the rules but how dare those Earthicans use the House's rules in their favour, if that makes sense?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, please don't get me wrong, your thinking does make perfect sense. As you say, the fact that the horns aren't standard on Demi-Trainers and they are presumably inferior technologically to the House Mobile Suits means many will never even entertain the idea of dueling. A psychological barrier without any need to codify the segregation in the rules themselves.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Oh, please don't get me wrong, your thinking does make perfect sense. As you say, the fact that the horns aren't standard on Demi-Trainers and they are presumably inferior technologically to the House Mobile Suits means many will never even entertain the idea of dueling. A psychological barrier without any need to codify the segregation in the rules themselves.

The model kit photos show that the Demi Trainer has an optional deployable horn, for whatever that's worth.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The model kit photos show that the Demi Trainer has an optional deployable horn, for whatever that's worth.

Right.

Potsticker posted:

Presumably if they want to duel they put a horn on the demi-trainer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Ahh, fair then :hmmyes:

Potsticker posted:

I reckon you've probably got the right read inbetween here. They can duel buuuut do you think you'll do well in your school-supplied Demi vs a Peil Industries top-of-the-line machine?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon you've probably got the right read inbetween here. They can duel buuuut do you think you'll do well in your school-supplied Demi vs a Peil Industries top-of-the-line machine?

Especially when blatant cheating is completely ignored if it favors the strong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the vibe that Shaddiq and Grassley are on the speediest collision course with Suletta right now, but it's not going to be an especially serious conflict - just sounding out her motivations and capabilities to see whether she's a threat or a potential ally. Elan and Pell are going to be a much more genuine conflict - he's the resident mysterious, tragic cyber-newtype figure, so they may have to put a lot of work in to rescue him and get him properly on their side (if they even can).

Cathedra are the real enemies, so I think we're currently at the stage where Suletta is accidentally bumbling her way into recruiting a team of pilots that can take them on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunt11 posted:

Especially when blatant cheating is completely ignored if it favors the strong.

I don't think it's a case of "favours the strong", but more they're probably trying to encourage tactical thinking and creativity in the field. Your enemy won't be honorable outside of a 1v1 duel, that sort of poo poo.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I expected Guel to fall for Sulleta, but not so fast :allears: .I hope we get a full school episode next, I want to see more of the other students, and to give Sulleta more of her SoL dreams>

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I would like to see a little more of the world this is all happening in to give us some context. Like we know that the MIC is powerful and that’s about it. Like who are the settings power blocs? Does space even have any government or is everything a company town? How far out in the system does humanity go? Jupiters about as far as any previous setting got but I don’t think any ever went inward to Venus and mercury before. Is space or earth the larger population?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think it's a case of "favours the strong", but more they're probably trying to encourage tactical thinking and creativity in the field. Your enemy won't be honorable outside of a 1v1 duel, that sort of poo poo.

No, it's "favours the dueling committee, who are the people who are in charge of the Duels and co-incidentally happen to be the best duelists."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

galagazombie posted:

I would like to see a little more of the world this is all happening in to give us some context. Like we know that the MIC is powerful and that’s about it. Like who are the settings power blocs? Does space even have any government or is everything a company town? How far out in the system does humanity go? Jupiters about as far as any previous setting got but I don’t think any ever went inward to Venus and mercury before. Is space or earth the larger population?

G-Reco went to Venus. Or at least, Venus orbit. We never even see Venus as a point in the sky so far as I remember, but Venus Globe is a colony in the Venusphere. I believe there's mention in the Iron Blooded Orphans supplementary material of it only being possible to produce Ahab reactors near stars too, which implies that Gjallarhorn had facilities around Mercury, even if it never came up.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 17, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

G-Reco went to Venus. Or at least, Venus orbit. We never even see Venus as a point in the sky so far as I remember, but Venus Globe is a colony in the Venusphere. I believe there's mention in the Iron Blooded Orphans supplementary material of it only being possible to produce Ahab reactors near stars too, which implies that Gjallarhorn had facilities around Mercury, even if it never came up.

The perpetually delayed IBO phone game is also set around Venus, which is colonized in the PD setting. (And the plants for Ahab reactors might be a space station even closer to the sun, since it doesn't mention Mercury, just "A plant near a fixed star".)

The furthest, though, might be G-Gundam, where the Space Patrol has stations out by Saturn, as we see in Andrew Graham's revenge flashback.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

galagazombie posted:

i think this show is likely saving this stuff for later in order to not drown the audience in lore from the jump like a lot of other gundam series

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also in terms of how deep series go, crossbone gundam mentions some exploratory attempts towards uranus and neptune towards the end. and i think one of the 00 manga has a bit to do with pluto?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, everyone is presently stuck in an extremely sheltered bubble, and that's the point. The 'real world' intruding on their high-school antics and ruthless intra-corporate power-plays will likely be dramatic and traumatic in the extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, everyone is presently stuck in an extremely sheltered bubble, and that's the point. The 'real world' intruding on their high-school antics and ruthless intra-corporate power-plays will likely be dramatic and traumatic in the extreme.

I don't think it's "everyone", it's just Suletta (and, thus, the audience). "I need to get to Earth" feels like a deliberately-ambiguous and vague goal, especially as Delling reckons he can grab his daughter down the line with little effort rather than getting ground-side being somehow out of his reach. There's also potentially something going on that's got demand sky-high for new high-spec military Mobile Suits, with fierce competition between entire conglomerates according to episode 2, and Earthicans are somehow universally-inferior but worthy of getting trained into combat pilots anyway on a dedicated school on an asteroid even if it's not on the House-made MS's on a corporate sponsorship. Even if they're doing squat in school politically/socially, they're still all graduating as certified combat pilots or support staff by the end of their time there.

So where are that many pilots and logistical staff, produced annually, going after graduation?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 17, 2022