Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

it will disincentivize superteams and thereby suppress player salaries.
It will disincentivize superteams, but it won't necessarily suppress median player salaries if the number of franchises that are "just one piece away" from making as good a run as anybody else can is enlarged. Where we were was in a state where guys like Trout and Harper and soon Judge could make ridiculous sums of money and the "Hall of Good" guys were told that clearly there's nothing wrong with the system so shut up. The fact that the Padres didn't even need Tatis to eliminate the Dodgers is the kind of thing that could make middling teams like the Giants and Brewers keep at it rather than implode and firesale and turn into a glorified Triple-A team.

What the Bad Take Writers like Olbermann forget is that when the entire country stopped for the World Series it was partly because baseball wasn't on TV all the drat time. There's wasn't enough frequency and enough money behind special interest channels to carry every game from any franchise, let alone every franchise, on live TV. Having access to that kind of bandwidth took ownership with ties to media, which is how the Braves became America's Team or whatever.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t really think the playoff formate will really discourage super teams. At least any more than they already have been for 20 years or so. Building a team as strong as you can is still the best chance to make the playoffs and win it that’s your goal. Having your best team is the best protection to being knocked out in the first round. You can’t really build a team to finish at 90 wins. It’s not like the Twins are an organization everyone is copying. Maybe it means teams that have clinched won’t play out the season to win the division but we just saw the Mets lose the division late and get knocked out early. So I dunno.

If you wanna win enough you still improve your team. Any team that opts to cheap out is doing that for reasons other than the fear of being knocked out unceremoniously in the playoffs.

And yeah if the playoffs are more of a crapshoot then in theory it encourages borderline teams to compete even if they can’t match the super teams. Because that one ace or slugger might win you a short series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The top 5 payrolls all made the playoffs. 9 of the 12 playoff teams were in the top 12 in payroll

Only the Mariners, Rays and Guardians were low payroll teams that made the playoffs

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1581805861596340224

another L for ben verlander

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Josh Naylor is also now Ben Verlanders daddy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

a disgusting act!!!!!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sydin posted:

I mean if you personally feel that Yuli is still racist and his apology was insincere then that's your prerogative. I also cannot tell you that you don't deserve to be also feel hurt from it and I apologize if it came off that way, I really did not mean it that way at all. Was just trying to say that the posters trying to extrapolate it out to attack Astros fans ITT is dumb and makes this thread a chore to read at best.

No worries, I've also been extra sensitive recently because the amount of anti-Asian hate has gotten pretty extreme recently. Because of people blaming the Chinese for covid, I've gotten poo poo like bottles of urine thrown at my car at a grocery or the usual being told to go back to "my own country". I'm not even Chinese. I live in Seattle, too, so it's not exactly even a red state.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Baseball is bad again

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

ihatepants posted:

No worries, I've also been extra sensitive recently because the amount of anti-Asian hate has gotten pretty extreme recently. Because of people blaming the Chinese for covid, I've gotten poo poo like bottles of urine thrown at my car at a grocery or the usual being told to go back to "my own country". I'm not even Chinese. I live in Seattle, too, so it's not exactly even a red state.

this sucks, people are poo poo man

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bob costas

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lmao, Ben Verlander sucks so much

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Frank Stallone of Baseball

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ignore all of my posting for the past 24 hours tia.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I stand by all of my posting and the wild mood swings of playoff baseball

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if your team makes the playoffs and you don't spend all of your time melting down, then what is the point

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Idk, playoff chillposting is just so much easier. Plus then you get to laugh at mcmagic’s meltdowns without drawing comparisons to your own.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chillposting is the luxury of the fan whose team has already been owned

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

if your team makes the playoffs and you don't spend all of your time melting down, then what is the point

I mean listen this is on a constant loop in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nPfnNyouk

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

R.D. Mangles posted:

chillposting is the luxury of the fan whose team has already been owned

My team is resting comfortably, waiting to see who their next victims are :colbert:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just like to ride the highs and lows of being happy or sad for my team instead of getting aggressive to other people.

Except for the one guy who got pissy with me for smiling while taking a picture at the end of a late season, Mariners already eliminated Cleveland at Seattle game a few years ago. I'm glad that guy in particular had a bad day yesterday.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was definitely more invested in the 2015-2019 runs, but I haven’t split season tickets since then and I haven’t even had the personal time to watch that many games in the years since. Like I don’t think I’d quantify myself as a playoff poster, but any success the Astros (and Guardians) have is just gravy to me. Especially if it comes at the expense of a team like the Yanks.

The “I’m just here for the vibe” of postseason baseball, if you will.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Shiroc posted:

I stand by all of my posting and the wild mood swings of playoff baseball

:same:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean listen this is on a constant loop in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8nPfnNyouk

When I saw Puig Destroyer I thought it was going to refer to this wonderful moment in baseball history

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Scary_HOUrs_713/status/1581796651517513728

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Should have bubble wrapped it before he punched a wall :)

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Popete posted:

I like posting here and I like the posters

I lurked here from 2017 to 2021 without an account. Paid my tenbux in Sept 2021 when there was a "no viewing the forums without membership" period just as the postseason was about to begin.

I still lurk more than post, but... I wouldn't have bothered posting at all if I hadn't gotten to (mostly) enjoy the posters here during my 4 years of lurking.

(I've been reading multiple threads in D&D since just before the 2020 election but you won't find me posting there at all even with an account now, for comparison)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Welcome aboard LTFT - always good to see new faces around here.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

Welcome aboard LTFT - always good to see new faces around here.

Thanks!

So who's everybody got tomorrow?

My heart says CLE but my brain says NYY.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Has Nestor pitched on short rest before?

e: oh nvm Taillon is the announced starter

oh geez and the Guardians are going with Civale? Yankees win

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Has Nestor pitched on short rest before?

e: oh nvm Taillon is the announced starter

oh geez and the Guardians are going with Civale? Yankees win

Quite the decision to go with the worst guy possible in elimination on the road

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
My only complaint with this current format is the lack of scheduled travel days. There's simply too much baseball all the time.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

That is actually solid parenting advice from Ben because you should never run around carrying a baby like that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Thanks!

So who's everybody got tomorrow?

My heart says CLE but my brain says NYY.

Da Yankees!

Although I agree it’s baffling to start Taillon.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Taillon kind of sucks and the pen is gassed. First man up in the event of danger is Domingo German and well...

Gonna need to score some runs today

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Yankees are bums #bum but the guardians are luckily bigger bums #bigbum

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ihatepants posted:

Americans really are the loving worst.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RCarr posted:

Da Yankees!

Although I agree it’s baffling to start Taillon.

It's going to be Taillon or German. No good choices there. It's likely a bullpen game for both teams and they have the better bullpen right now. Yankee offense will need to win this game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Something besides Twitter I guess.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
dunno what the gently caress happened in this thread but you could extend that Braves-Phils series to 7, 9, however many games and Atlanta wasn’t winning it, like sending a dead horse out there at that point

just coming to grips with the increasingly likely reality that the Yankees will win the WS and continuing to try and detach myself from this and all other sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

elentar posted:

dunno what the gently caress happened in this thread but you could extend that Braves-Phils series to 7, 9, however many games and Atlanta wasn’t winning it, like sending a dead horse out there at that point

just coming to grips with the increasingly likely reality that the Yankees will win the WS and continuing to try and detach myself from this and all other sports

doubt it