Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh boy, yeah, Lake Mungo is a great pick. One of the movies that still genuinely creeps me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Hell yea..

We are all going to the World's Fair is a great partner film to lake mungo

excellent double feature would also make a good triple with Broadcast Signal Intrusion

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The People Under the Stairs is a nice end cap to Twin Peaks season 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just to be clear, the Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File series goes 1-4, then Preface, then The Most Terrifying Movie in History, then Final Chapter?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't think The People Under the Stairs counts as a "home invasion" movie, even if a home is technically being invaded. The protagonist is the one invading a home and you're not exactly rooting for the villains or anything.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lake Mungo is fantastic. If you told someone who hadn't seen or heard of it that it was a documentary they'd believe it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Dashcam worth blind buying for $14?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Is Dashcam worth blind buying for $14?

Absolutely not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Absolutely not.

Thanks!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

For me personally, it was an endurance exercise in how long I could watch a movie before I attempted to throw something through my screen. Possibly the most irritating, irredeemable protagonist in a movie in the last 20 years. There's a few cool moments, but I don't think I'd watch it again for free, let alone own a copy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Was it Dashcam where it turned out the actor is exactly as lovely as the character and also a big weird chud or something?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm just remembering that godawful BBC/Netflix Dracula series from the Sherlock guy.

God drat that was bad.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He also did a largely forgotten (for very good loving reason, it's the absolute drizzling shits) Jekyll and Hyde adaptation. Ideally we'd stop giving him beloved fictional characters to ruin.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm just remembering that godawful BBC/Netflix Dracula series from the Sherlock guy.

God drat that was bad.

The worst thing about it was that the third part was so loving boring and inconsistent with its own rules.

If it was at least as dumb fun as the first part that'd be something.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was it Dashcam where it turned out the actor is exactly as lovely as the character and also a big weird chud or something?

Yep, it's the one where the actress defended the character by being like, 'I'm just playing myself, and anyone who doesn't like me can gently caress off,' and all of her Twitter posts are 'the libs went too left for me, a leftist, so that's why I support the fash'.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Should I watch the original Hausu for my haunted house film for tomorrow? I don't think I've ever seen it / can't recall seeing it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

Should I watch the original Hausu for my haunted house film for tomorrow? I don't think I've ever seen it / can't recall seeing it.

Absolutely, it's a great time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Absolutely, it's a great time

Yeah I honestly can't remember it I'm sure I must have seen it but I don't recall when and I have absolutely no memory of the movie whatsoever so I'mma count it as new to me. I don't even know what its about other than it being Japanese and weird.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 18, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yes, a thousand times yes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Here's a good one whats the best horror film that you've never seen, apparently for me its Hausu.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Here's a good one whats the best horror film that you've never seen, apparently for me its Hausu.

Apparently The Shining.

I refuse to see it on the principle of Stephen King hates it and he hates it for many legitimate reasons like Kubrick being a shithead.

The novel is awesome and that's enough for me. Besides, even from fans, all I've ever heard is the movie loses all the nuance of the characters.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 18, 2022

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently The Shining.

I refuse to see it on the principle of Stephen King hates it and he hates it for many legitimate reasons liek Kubrick being a shithead.

The novel is awesome and that's enough for me. Besides, even from fans, all I've ever heard is the movie loses all he nuance of the characters.

Watch The Shining.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently The Shining.

I refuse to see it on the principle of Stephen King hates it and he hates it for many legitimate reasons liek Kubrick being a shithead.

The novel is awesome and that's enough for me. Besides, even from fans, all I've ever heard is the movie loses all he nuance of the characters.

Hasn't King come around on it, at least somewhat? Say what you want about Flanagan and/or Doctor Sleep, but he was correct that the only way the movie was going to make people interested was if they tied it to the Kubrick version where they could (so, keeping the same sets for the Overlook in the third act, patterning the actors playing Wendy and Dick Hallorann after Shelley Duvall and Scatman Crothers, etc.), which King agreed with. So I'd have to imagine that he's at least made some amount of peace with that fact by now.

Don't disagree about Kubrick being something of a shithead on the production of that film (and most of his films), or that the movie is a lot less nuanced with the characters than the book. But that second one is a complaint you're going to have with any book-to-film adaptation, and King was probably always going to be rubbed by that fact especially with "The Shining" because it's a much more personal book for him than most of his others (at least from that time period), whether it was Kubrick's style of adaption or not.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Hollismason posted:

Another good one from 2005:

Noroi
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0930083/reference/

I think it might have been shot on digital video as there's no HD version. I know it's on the Shudder channel, which is currently having issues on Roku, so you'll have to search for it, but it should be in there. It might be cropped to fit a 16:9 screen though, I have to try to find my DVD to see if it's in 4:3 (I can't remember.)

Edit - It's on Amazon AMC+/Shudder as well.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 18, 2022

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Honestly, if you have no memory at all of the movie Hausu, I can't imagine you've seen it. How the hell could anyone forget anything about that absolute roller-coaster?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

When it comes to The Shining, the written work and the adaption are two separate things. They do not invalidate one another. Faithful does not equate good- just watch the horrible, King approved, Shining TV movie. King’s insight on the cinematic adaptions of his films can be interesting but they aren’t the only thing worth considering.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest I’ve forgotten most of it except that it skeeved me out. I think there was a cat?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've honestly watched so much horror that I forget movies. I don't think I've ever seen it. I've consistently watched 50 to 100 horror movies a year for like a decade at least.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hausu is so loving out there and dreamlike that I've seen it twice and... like I can visualize moments from it but I can't mentally piece together the movie into anything coherent.

It's overdue for a rewatch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

When it comes to The Shining, the written work and the adaption are two separate things. They do not invalidate one another. Faithful does not equate good- just watch the horrible, King approved, Shining TV movie. King’s insight on the cinematic adaptions of his films can be interesting but they aren’t the only thing worth considering.

The Shining is a great movie. The problem with the adaption has just always been that Kubrick completely flipped the entire point of the book. And that was personal to King so obviously he was bothered by it. But fans get mad when an adaption dramatically changes a key element of the original work all the time. So the way that criticism of the Shining has always been dismissed out of hand and mocked has always seemed really lovely.

Which is without even bringing up Kubrick’s treatment of Shelly Long, how much her character was changed to strip away any agency, and how even Kubricks female co-writer found his handling of it sketchy.

Or the changes he makes to one black guy in the movie.

The Shining is still a top tier, all time, classic movie. But it’s not infallible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

You can just say what movie you haven't seen there's no need to dogpile on people for not watching something.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The Shining is a great movie. The problem with the adaption has just always been that Kubrick completely flipped the entire point of the book. And that was personal to King so obviously he was bothered by it. But fans get mad when an adaption dramatically changes a key element of the original work all the time. So the way that criticism of the Shining has always been dismissed out of hand and mocked has always seemed really lovely.

Which is without even bringing up Kubrick’s treatment of Shelly Long, how much her character was changed to strip away any agency, and how even Kubricks female co-writer found his handling of it sketchy.

The Shining is still a top tier, all time, classic movie. But it’s not infallible.

I agree, it’s not infallible. But I am not dismissing the entire idea of criticizing faithfulness to the source material, but as I said- it’s not the only thing worth considering and faithfulness is not the only way to address print-to-screen adaptations.

Hollismason posted:

You can just say what movie you haven't seen there's no need to dogpile on people for not watching something.

Is telling someone who hasn’t watched a great film that they should watch said film dog-pilling? That’s not my intention.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I hadn’t watched the original Halloween until this year, I am now unshamed tho

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

There are plenty of classic older horror movies I haven't seen. I haven't seen the Lugosi Dracula, or the original Lee Dracula, just Risen From the Grave (obviously). Haven't seen a lot of Hammer or Universal horror movies for that matter, and many of Hitchcock's movies like The Birds. My wheelhouse is mostly 70s and 80s horror, I'm not super interested in anything older than the 60s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WeaponX posted:

I agree, it’s not infallible. But I am not dismissing the entire idea of criticizing faithfulness to the source material, but as I said- it’s not the only thing worth considering and faithfulness is not the only way to address print-to-screen adaptations.

I agree and there’s plenty of adaptions that do their own thing that I enjoy, sometimes even more than the original. But there’s nothing wrong with not watching it because the changes made affect it enough to turn you away. At the same time people on either side of the argument tend to get too nasty and defensive and act like their version is holy script. Watch what you like, discuss what you think matters, if it’s important enough to get heated so be it, but don’t turn it into a “raped my childhood” type thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

In case anybody else hasn't read about this
[https://www.slashfilm.com/726299/ho...y%20dehydrated.

quote:

The magnum opus of his cruelty toward Duvall came in the form of one of "The Shining's" most iconic scenes — the baseball bat confrontation on the stairs. Kubrick made Duvall and Nicholson shoot the scene in a record-setting 127 takes, something that horror fans love to spout off as a fun bit of trivia. The result of the constant takes were Duvall's hands were shredded raw from gripping the bat for such a prolonged period of time, her voice was hoarse from crying, her eyes became swollen, and she left the set completely dehydrated. The moments we see on screen of Duvall crying in pain, fear, and exhaustion were not acting, but an actor delivering lines while enduring a trauma response.

And you know, i can watch movies made with unscrupulous conditions. But it isn't like he changed Wendy in the pursuit of making her a better, more compelling character for a more compelling story. Quite the opposite.

King does hate Jack losing all sympathy and humanity for personal reasons but he also deplores what was done to Wendy
https://screen-queens.com/2014/06/04/king-vs-kubrick-the-shinings-wendy-torrance/

quote:

It’s no secret that Stephen King hates Stankley Kubrick’s version of “The Shining”. In a 2013 interview with BBC, Stephen King described Kubrick’s version of Wendy Torrance as “One of the most misogynistic characters ever put on film. She is basically just there to scream and be stupid and that’s not the woman that I wrote about."

[...]

Kubrick deliberately made Wendy Torrance ‘whiny and dense’ and chose Shelley Duvall for her against Hollywood-type looks. In a 1982 interview Kubrick said, “You certainly couldn’t have Jane Fonda play the part: you needed someone who is mousy and vulnerable. The novel pictures her as a reliant and attractive woman, but these qualities make you wonder why she has put up with Jack for so long Shelley seemed to be exactly the kind of woman that would marry Jack and be stuck with him.”

I understand an adaptation is not the original work and never can be, but if you wanna tell your own story, just make your own story, don't claim "based on a book."

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I agree and there’s plenty of adaptions that do their own thing that I enjoy, sometimes even more than the original. But there’s nothing wrong with not watching it because the changes made affect it enough to turn you away. At the same time people on either side of the argument tend to get too nasty and defensive and act like their version is holy script. Watch what you like, discuss what you think matters, if it’s important enough to get heated so be it, but don’t turn it into a “raped my childhood” type thing.

Ultimately I encourage people to check out an adaptation that took liberties because (and very much is in the case of The Shining) there may be so much more an adaptation brings to the table in other departments. Just the incredible visual intensity and beauty of The Shining film is worthwhile to witness, regardless of how you feel about it’s adaptation. But yes of course in the end- watch what you want to watch or not.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think that Kubrick's Shining is very much in conversation with the book though. The Shining is an an allegory for a lot of King's fears as an addict with the idea of a good man being corrupted, but Kubrick's adaptation questions the very concept of a "good man." The film's Native imagery, references to white supremacy, paint an image of Jack being corruption by his very notions of manhood, eventually turning on his family when his authority and power is questioned. I would compare it to Starship Troopers in that it's in some ways a response to the source material.

And you can still have movies that differ greatly from the source material, but get the spirit. Shelley and Whale's Frankenstein stories are very different, but they are also two outsiders who told stories about being outsiders just from a different lens.

But yeah, Kubrick was also a schmuck as opposed to King who for all his faults and challenges seems like a pretty decent guy.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've literally never read a King book. If you had to choose one....what one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

according to they shoot zombies don't they list for me its cabinet of dr caligari and then the omen