Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

gently caress's sake, Ivan Reitman just got MeTooed.

Let kill him

Oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you want to play silent hill 2 but havent yet then you should play the enhanced edition because it owns https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

I'm actually playing it right now on my Silent hill Collection 3-disk ps2 set (2 3 and 4 specifically). Just got the Hunting Rifle at the prison and found the hatch that I need to make a handle for. in the third major dungeon/area.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Pretty solid entry overall in the VHS series! I'd rank it as a solid 3.5/5 overall, as none of the segments were flat-out terrible imo. Flying Lotus and the Winters had the best shorts by far, both feeling fully realized as opposed to "fun set up with a spooky twist at the last 30 seconds".

Ranking:

1. To Hell and Back - The Winters are high on my directors-to-watch list after this and Headstream
2. Ozzy's Dungeon - Flying Lotus went wild on this. Probably the only short where I literally could not guess what was going to happen moment to moment
3. Shredders - Love the set up, as it kind of reminded me of
4. Suicide Bid - I see a lot of people calling this one boring, but I thought it was pretty good, though, in good ol' VHS fashion, the ending didn't quite hit
5. Gawkers - The only one I didn't really love. It was pretty obvious where it was going, and the actual reveal made me laugh. I guess it was neat to see a greek myth figure in one of these lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's been ages since I was there, but at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago they had an exhibit that was a 1900s street. Part of it was a cinema where you paid a nickle to get in and it was a steady loop of a newsreel, some cartoons and silent films with a guy on piano playing the music. There were no showtimes of what was when, you just went in and sat for as long as you wanted. If they were showing a silent horror, my parents weren't getting me out of there even with a promise to go to the ice cream soda parlor. Trivia bit, my Grandfather designed the heating/air conditioning for the parlor and exhibit.

Yeah I remember that. Unfortunately that exhibit is no longer there, you can still gointo the penny arcade but it doesn't show anything. You just sit down in a room and it doesn't play anything and there's also not a ice cream parlor there anymore. Not sure why they closed the exhibit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They actually announced loving 4 Silent Hill games at this thing, although details are sparse so far and they may not all be traditional games

2 Remake - what it says on the box
Towerfall - no info but it's made by the same people as Observation and Stories Untold, both of which were terrific
F- not much info but sounds like this the main new game in the series
Ascension- "whole new experience." “live, real-time interactive series" supposedly similar to Until Dawn

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

thatfuturekid posted:

Pretty solid entry overall in the VHS series! I'd rank it as a solid 3.5/5 overall, as none of the segments were flat-out terrible imo. Flying Lotus and the Winters had the best shorts by far, both feeling fully realized as opposed to "fun set up with a spooky twist at the last 30 seconds".

Ranking:

1. To Hell and Back - The Winters are high on my directors-to-watch list after this and Headstream
2. Ozzy's Dungeon - Flying Lotus went wild on this. Probably the only short where I literally could not guess what was going to happen moment to moment
3. Shredders - Love the set up, as it kind of reminded me of
4. Suicide Bid - I see a lot of people calling this one boring, but I thought it was pretty good, though, in good ol' VHS fashion, the ending didn't quite hit
5. Gawkers - The only one I didn't really love. It was pretty obvious where it was going, and the actual reveal made me laugh. I guess it was neat to see a greek myth figure in one of these lol

:agreed: completely, though I'd go for a 4/5. I at least liked every segment, pacing issues the only complaints about a few of them, and Ozzy's Dungeon was my personal fav but I love what the Winters have done this month between Headstream and this. Definitely ones worth keeping an eye on going forward in the genre

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Reminds me that Flying Lotus’ video for Coronus, the Terminator is basically a horror short

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4vLEBxIo4

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is that del Toro netflix series out yet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Pretty sure it's the 25th.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Not here in Canada at least.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Premieres next Tuesday, 2 episodes a day through that Friday

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks yall

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I listened to you giys; Night Shift is a drat good book

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the best part of VHS 99 is the wraparound

they get worse each time. Theyre still not BAD, but each movie in this franchise is worse and worse

that one segment doest even bother to explain how they got air in the casket

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 20, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The out there Halloween mega tape is fun

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i want a full movie of just the dude playin with the army guys tbh

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
If you're looking for something decent that you haven't seen before, try Found (2012).

There is a "movie within a movie" in Found, a fictional brutal horror movie from the 1970's. About 20 minutes of material was filmed for that. The director eventually decided to actually make that movie, which was released as a sequel in 2015, called Headless.

Unfortunately, the only way to watch this is on the Screambox app or website. While there is an Amazon Screambox channel, Headless is only available in certain regions. There is also a Blu-Ray, but it's out of print, rare, and expensive if you can find one on eBay.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Psycho could lose like 20 to 25 minutes of time. Its so loving slow in the beginning.

This is a bonkers opinion imo. It would feel like some poverty row trash movie without that expert build up of tension, it’s the whole point of the movie!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bula Vinaka posted:

There is also a Blu-Ray, but it's out of print, rare, and expensive if you can find one on eBay.

I didnt even kno these were so expensive and I have one on my shelf lmao i might have to sell it now

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Found has one insane loving ending. I think when it premiered here the director said two different child actors dropped out of the movie after their parents read the script.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've always wondered how they get child actors not to freak out during wicked intense horror scenes. Like I'm sure they reassure them it's fake and all that but still some scenes (like the one in Found mentioned above) are pretty brutal for kids to act in

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

also the V/H/S movies all tend to have one absolute banger per entry, imo the Ozzy TV show segment was the best. The show part reminded me of those shows I watched as a kid like Legends of the Hidden Temple and the basement part reminded me of a PG-13 August Underground (and yet it somehow worked really well?)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

:hmmyes:

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's been ages since I was there, but at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago they had an exhibit that was a 1900s street. Part of it was a cinema where you paid a nickle to get in and it was a steady loop of a newsreel, some cartoons and silent films with a guy on piano playing the music. There were no showtimes of what was when, you just went in and sat for as long as you wanted. If they were showing a silent horror, my parents weren't getting me out of there even with a promise to go to the ice cream soda parlor. Trivia bit, my Grandfather designed the heating/air conditioning for the parlor and exhibit.

Holy poo poo, I remember this! I think it was my first encounter with Chaplin.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kvlt! posted:

I've always wondered how they get child actors not to freak out during wicked intense horror scenes. Like I'm sure they reassure them it's fake and all that but still some scenes (like the one in Found mentioned above) are pretty brutal for kids to act in

I know Sig Haig did make the kid during the "Don't we make you laugh?" scene in Devil's Rejects cry, and felt so bad about it he went and bought the kid an ice cream to make up for it.

I guess I need to watch V/H/S99 because "PG-13 August Underground" is a hell of a pitch.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 20, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For some scenes they're probably fine, like any scene in which a kid gets brutally murdered is probably fun to play for some kids because they get to put on cool makeup and do a fairly intense scene. Scenes based more on tension or emotional abuse are probably a lot harder for them though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From what I've heard actors and directors say over the years, the big thing seems to be the overall atmosphere on the set. You want to maintain a light jokey feel where everyone is being goofy and having a good time. That way when you do the scene the kids see it as just an extension of the fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Kids love horror, and they're mostly able to tell the difference between reality and fiction - especially when they've seen a script telling them what will happen. When a child actor drops out of a movie after their parents read the script, it's frequently not the kid who has the problem with it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I'm going to beat Silent Hill 2 for the first time tonight, just at the final savepoint.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I'm going to beat Silent Hill 2 for the first time tonight, just at the final savepoint.

SH2 a great time. One of those more surreal games that zaps your mind as a kid. same with eternal darkness and MGS1 Psycho Mantis fight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also tell us which ending you got. There's one that's the Correct one and I will fight that fact.

In Water.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Last Rung on the Ladder is my favourite story. Absolutely devastating. The Ledge and Quitters Inc are bangers as well. I need to watch Cat's Eye again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like that the hotel is relatively nice at first, most places are all weird and hosed up but the hotel is just dark, because James feels relatively safe there due to only having happy memories with Mary. Then after the reveal makes him face reality, the hotel completely collapses and becomes more dilapidated and miserable than even the dark hospital, and it's not in the same way. The hospital is scary, the hotel is just sad. The hospital was his invented memory of the evil disease that took Mary from him, so became something hostile in the otherworld, but the Hotel is just empty, because it's his depression caused by the real memory of what he did.

Similarly in his inteactions with the other characters, that depression gives him the context to stop obsessing over his own poo poo as much. Mary's gone and he's not going to find her, so in his last meeting with Angela instead of being all wrapped up in himself and getting defensive when accused of being just like her father, he's finally able to see the otherworld from her perspective and start saying what she needed to hear all along. That nothing was her fault and her parents were the problem. Unfortunately it's too little too late, and she's too far gone for his perspective to matter anymore.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ozzy Dungeon :aaa:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Quitters, Inc. is ill, it's like the quintessential King story IMO.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

dorium posted:

SH2 a great time. One of those more surreal games that zaps your mind as a kid. same with eternal darkness and MGS1 Psycho Mantis fight.

Eternal Darkness was so good. That one jump scare in the bathtub is maybe the most a jump scare has gotten me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finished the game now. The ending I got was "Leave".

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Someone un discord said the dog ending to SH has the same music as the silver shamrock theme and I can't u hear it now.

I've only played like a hour of SH1. I should check out the others soemtime

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Someone un discord said the dog ending to SH has the same music as the silver shamrock theme and I can't u hear it now.

I've only played like a hour of SH1. I should check out the others soemtime

I mean, the tune is just London Bridge isn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
...I never realized that.

Has anyone watched the Jeruselems Lot t. Show, Chapelwaithe? Is it any good