Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
opening a Word file and doing nothing else but printing it will trigger a "Save changes?" dialog box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

opening a Word file and doing nothing else but printing it will trigger a "Save changes?" dialog box
IIRC the layout/pagination is somehow affected by the print driver so maybe this isn't surprising. I don't know why microsoft hasn't tried to abstract this away at least in files created in newer versions of word because it's dumb

The word safe mode is completely useless since it's not even that practical to view documents in it. I want to say you can't even search within a document in safe mode. If you really don't trust the document you're probably better off opening it in the web version of word

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

reminder that windows used to do font rendering in the kernel

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

using code from Adobe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
software...bad?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
adobe type manager :allears:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

beuges posted:

Word makes you leave the safe mode sandbox in order to print also. I’m guessing accessing a printer isn’t allowed in the low integrity space maybe

if your org enforces information classification or w/e in microsoft 365 then you have to select a classification for every doc you open that doesn't have one so if you're opening a lot of old docs then it's just a shitshow, especially if you're trying to do so via sharepoint.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

yes, I modded a ton of og xbox's

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if I have to review a word document, I just print to pdf and use a pdf viewer. Takes up less RAM and the document opens up more quickly for later reference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I’m pretty sure that with the way the NT kernel (or rather, executive) is setup there’s no way around doing at least some of that?

anyway that’s why trusted fonts are a thing - OS fonts are all but drivers from one point of view.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

there’s a metadata field in every .docx for last print time so at least there’s a reason for that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m pretty sure that with the way the NT kernel (or rather, executive) is setup there’s no way around doing at least some of that?

yeah but now at least it's under microsoft's control, pre-NT adobe would just monkeypatch their way in

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

if you can raster a document to the screen buffer why can’t it just be sent to the printer as an image. idgi

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

mystes posted:

I prefer to use journalctl (the j is pronounced with a y sound)

incorrect CRUD grants in the journalDB

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pendragon posted:

thanks, I’ll never forget it

dpkg chopra posted:

I keep getting dns collisions with that

Chris Knight posted:

that'll stop after the first two

:drat:

4lokos basilisk posted:

this makes sense. no matter what: a toilet is always safe to log in

Fellow forums poster 4lokos basilisk, we both know that some toilets are flooded with log in attempts even after it's clear that it won't work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Have your plumber install fail2ban

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
log2js

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

IIRC the layout/pagination is somehow affected by the print driver so maybe this isn't surprising. I don't know why microsoft hasn't tried to abstract this away at least in files created in newer versions of word because it's dumb

The word safe mode is completely useless since it's not even that practical to view documents in it. I want to say you can't even search within a document in safe mode. If you really don't trust the document you're probably better off opening it in the web version of word

because corporations print and buy windows and they will not buy windows if the printer stops working

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

anyway that’s why trusted fonts are a thing - OS fonts are all but drivers from one point of view.

they put it in some kind of userland container in one of the big Win10 update. Creators update or something.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

don't talk to me or my userland containers again!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you can raster a document to the screen buffer why can’t it just be sent to the printer as an image. idgi

that's exactly what apple airprint does and it's slow as gently caress

because to render text nicely you need at least 300 dpi

a 300dpi rgb image with no compression is like 25 MB. i guess you could compress that but since it has to be lossless it makes printing a full color image pretty slow

mystes
May 31, 2006

wow 25 whole megabytes?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
have you ever worked with printers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

have you ever worked with printers

no. lets keep it that way

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I had an employee tell me printing was slow just last week so I looked at the document and it was 6.4GB :prepop: of completely raw uncompressed detailed blueprints being sent to a wide format printer with PS driver.

It was taking her like 2 hours to print lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I fell like on a modern network 25MB is not going to be the bottleneck unless you’re using a serious office printer

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

go play outside Skyler posted:

that's exactly what apple airprint does and it's slow as gently caress

because to render text nicely you need at least 300 dpi

a 300dpi rgb image with no compression is like 25 MB. i guess you could compress that but since it has to be lossless it makes printing a full color image pretty slow

okay but why is this better in the kernel. what is it about having access to supervisor instructions that makes it possible to do this incrementally

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Achmed Jones posted:

no. lets keep it that way

you just wait until you see a 1mb pdf turn into 380mb in the print queue

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

prettty sure most printers have the slowest possible network interface combined with the slowest possible ram which means printing a 10-page text-only document become a 15-minute thing because you're sending it 250 megabytes of bitmap data

i guess what i'm trying to say is airprint sucks

but having postscript/fonts run in the kernel is equally bad if not worse

it's been 50 years since we invented printers and they still suck

except for you, my brother dcp 9010, you're a fine little fella

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

they put it in some kind of userland container in one of the big Win10 update. Creators update or something.

that’s actually an option and trusted (ie, default) fonts still use the kernel mode GDI+ or whatever it’s called path because otherwise it’d break in essence all windows applications in some way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

this was historically way too slow and today is… well impossible but annoying

I like using this CUPS block diagram at a couple different jobs now when someone vaguely asks “for printer support” in an embedded device:

I think it sums up the clusterfuck that the vague task called “printing” is actually under the covers.

edit: transparent svg doesn’t play nicely with yospos, at least in awful.app

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chris Knight posted:

is this a machine-generated document?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

rjmccall posted:

okay but why is this better in the kernel. what is it about having access to supervisor instructions that makes it possible to do this incrementally

iirc a lot of the odd stuff that sat in the windows kernel was only put there for performance and not because they needed supervisor instructions. and then once performance improved so that the benefit of having those functions in the kernel was no longer necessary, they were so deeply nested that it took a long time to refactor it all out into user land.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jenny Agutter posted:

there’s a metadata field in every .docx for last print time so at least there’s a reason for that

Isn't "last print time" entirely useless if I'm going to just press "no" to "save changes" for fear I unintentionally changed something in the document?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pile Of Garbage posted:

quick question re yubikeys: if i've hooked up a bunch of poo poo to a yubikey with an unset FIDO2 PIN and then set a PIN will that break the existing associations?

Since nobody real answered, adding a pin will not effect existing associations, only require an extra step to validate the log on.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Since nobody real answered, adding a pin will not effect existing associations, only require an extra step to validate the log on.

im real as a player beleedat

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Xakura posted:

Isn't "last print time" entirely useless if I'm going to just press "no" to "save changes" for fear I unintentionally changed something in the document?

yes

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
my time in enterprise software tells me that this mechanism means the bug report can be closed easily as WORKSASDESIGNED which is something more important to the Office team than not having a bewildering user experience

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i designed and landed a feature used by x million people. it saves them y minutes per day on average. this implies a savings of approximately z engineering hours throughout our organization

result: promotion

note that whether the feature was actually good idea is not mentioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

whoever invented the ribbon in the office pack (and added it to explorer), ought to have their ide taken away from them by force
because they sure as gently caress aren't up to anything good