Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

im gonna romance the potions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Who knew that Factory Town is actually a re implementation of Satisfactory

:)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Also Autonauts got a huge update making it way more accessible. They've also added a 300 bot limit achievement, which was much needed because really the solution to any issue in the game was to add more bots. You can disable the achievement if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqPANH6R14

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new RimWorld expansion is out now, for anyone who missed the announcement!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

There's an oglaf for everything, isn't there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If all you talk about is sex, yes.

For the other topics there's xkcd or the simpsons.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anyone got any opinions on Cartel Tycoon? It's currently %30 off.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's on my GOTY, a real sleeper hit. It's a very interesting game in that it kinda subverts a lot of expectations coming in; if anything, it almost feels like a puzzle game where you're expected to micromanage at times in order to maximize gains or minimize danger, particularly when you're doing the survival gauntlet mode where it is expected that you will lose capos and assets in your race to earn the required cash.

The logistics model can be somewhat esoteric but once you understand it, it makes sense and gives you a good amount of leeway for optimization. The update that just came out also greatly improved load-balancing logic so as long as you're not expecting things to do what they are literally not designed to do, they'll usually work fine on automatic. And of course, if anything goes wrong, you usually always have a character who can do correcting deliveries on hand.

The update also added goals to the sandbox mode so you'll have something to aim for. If there's things I can criticize the game for, it's that rival gangs are way too easy to game right now, and thus your main threats are accidentally slipping up and letting the cops get an opening on you that might lead to a death spiral. Hopefully they'll keep working on the game so there's more actual content to rival gangs eventually.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cartel Tycoon is one of the better supply chain and logistics for money games out there. The biggest strike is it quickly turns into print all the money you want with a few basic steps to ensure the foundation of your supply chains and territory. Higher difficulty/the challenge campaign sort of fixes that by making there just be one true way of approaching it that may be fun or frustrating if you approach it without a guide. And much of the territory control comes with narrative quest lines that are constant through replays. The narrative stuff overall is not great but not bad and I think elevates the simple supply chain and logistics stuff enough to get a campaign playthrough and maybe some sandbox tinkering out of before you run out of steam.

Still waiting for a good logistics em up after Patrician/Port Royale went downhill and no one chasing the capitalism industry tycoon dragon has struck gold - I have a lot of the same complaints about Rise of Industry that it quickly becomes slap down templates and it doesn't have quest content to carry it like Cartel Tycoon does. All I want is Capitalism Lab combined with Factorio or production line, is that so much to ask? (yes)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wish Capitalism Lab had an excel/powerBI plugin/ODBC. Excuse me I'm trying to run a business here, I need my drill down dashboards!

Like I went to college and was taught kinda how to do poo poo like this, but I mostly can't because the data isn't presented very clearly and is kinda rudimentary. This is the one game that should be a spreadsheet game, where are my spreadsheets!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volmarias posted:

There's an oglaf for everything, isn't there.

It's like dril tweets

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Any hot takes on Sphere - Flying Cities?
I've not really found any reviews of the 1.0 version outside of some fairly mixed steam reviews.

Watching streams/video of people playing just makes me want to buy the game because they're clearly playing wrong and I can surely do better, and that kind of messes with my 'is this fun?' instincts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

Who knew that Factory Town is actually a re implementation of Satisfactory

:)

Oh yeah Factory Town is great because it starts so mundane and then you get to do crazy stuff and it becomes some bonkers Satisfactory mess by the end. Only you've gone past technology and straight into literal auto-magical transmutation.

In the meantime I finally just beat the Valvaldian Rainforest in Urbek. That map/ruleset is rough. Starts chill and then you go: Oh I need iron! Well iron comes from...wood. Yup, an "iron mine" actually converts 25 wood a month into 5 iron. And you don't get miners houses. Still kind of nice it doesn't produce pollution so you can slap a few anywhere. Well then you need power which comes from...wood! You're either turning firewood to wood, spending wood repairing your watermills on the river, or burning it into coal (at least wood to charcoal makes sense) for your eventual coal plant(s). But it all costs wood. Well maybe you're tired of using your dinky lumberjacks, even the upgraded ones you get for placing them near cities aren't doing their job. Time for sawmills! Oh wait those need 4 warehouses which each cost one iron for upkeep! Which means each sawmill you set down uses up nearly the entirety of one iron mine for enough wood to supply 2 iron mines.

It's manageable but then you get to Steel which requires...MORE WOOD! The basic steel factory is hungry and devours 200 more wood/month for 20 steel in return! And that sucker again requires 8 logistics so you're spending 8 iron (i.e. nearly 2 iron mines) to place it. Hope you've been placing your warehouses so multiple buildings can use them.

Fortunately that's when you see the light at the end of the tunnel: your iron mines can upgrade. They're hungrier, chomping down 100 wood/month but they're more efficient and produce 32 iron in return! An improvement from 20% to 32% efficiency! It gets even better when your steel mill upgrades, taking a pittance of 20 iron instead of 200 wood to produce 60 steel/month. Suddenly you can breathe easy but you gotta get there first!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The big wall for me to scale in the Urbek rainforest map was completing the prerequisite to get tree farms. Until that I was having trouble keeping up wood cutting with requirements simply because I couldn't fit enough wood cutting buildings around the remaining forest area!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really wish Satisfactory's hoverpack unlocked much earlier. it's such a pain building big without it. :|

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really wish Satisfactory's hoverpack unlocked much earlier. it's such a pain building big without it. :|

Just install a mod to unlock that poo poo.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

I finished Phase 4 on a full vanilla run. The scale at which you have to build with the piss poor tools available to you is really, really rough. There was some fun in there, but I'm not certain I can say I'm glad I did it. I am certain that I'll never do a vanilla game again - hover/fly and either something to blueprint or the mod that adds the 10x input for 10x output recipes will be in there the next time I give it a go.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, you need mods because the satisfactory devs are very open about that being the intended experience

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Dyson Sphere Program has the best building experience of any of those style of games IMO with Factorio being a close second but not first because it's a 2D experience so it's just kinda that way by default.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

nielsm posted:

The big wall for me to scale in the Urbek rainforest map was completing the prerequisite to get tree farms. Until that I was having trouble keeping up wood cutting with requirements simply because I couldn't fit enough wood cutting buildings around the remaining forest area!

Hah, that's another dick move. Rainforest is all "Here's these red orchards! They're basically orchards that use unskilled labor and don't require you to have farm houses to manage them. Oh but you'll still need normal orchards to get the fruit processing centers to make the botany department you need to finally get breathing room."

Honestly I feel the real break-through moment was realizing that I could place Slash and Burns anywhere so I could start working on connecting distant open areas. I didn't have to chew my way towards them, I could have them chew towards me while the endless wall of lumberjacks pushed towards them. That and apparently...Heavy Sawmills don't abandon when they run out of forest nearby? The ones I had just kept chugging away forever.

RandomBlue posted:

Dyson Sphere Program has the best building experience of any of those style of games IMO with Factorio being a close second but not first because it's a 2D experience so it's just kinda that way by default.

Counterpoint: DSP is the worst for "Where the gently caress did I put that?" when you go interstellar.

But yeah the Satisfactory devs have made some decisions I really don't agree with. Putting stuff like the hover pack so far back, making bio-burners not set up to be automated, etc. It's their game and overall it's very lovely, but as said there's a few details that are just head scratchers. On the other hand they do keep coming up with stuff the players actually want (innate ceiling mounts, yaaas!)

I feel the solution before hoverpacks is to make a temporary lookout tower (or other tall building) to stand on a short ways away. Works good for me but is still annoying once you've tasted the joy that is hoverpack.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The lookout tower isnt really great because you've got limited mobility.

The other solution I can think of is to unlock the steel beam floors (not the glass floors) that you can see and build through, and just build a construction platform way above the area.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got a steam notification that Settlement Survival came out of EA: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1509510/Settlement_Survival/

Any thread thoughts on that? Looks neat. Apologies if it came up recently, all these townbuilder names blend together.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

I got a steam notification that Settlement Survival came out of EA: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1509510/Settlement_Survival/

Any thread thoughts on that? Looks neat. Apologies if it came up recently, all these townbuilder names blend together.

I haven't played much since EA launch but: it is heavily, heavily based on Banished with Colonial Charter/Megamod mods. There are slight differences like a research system and they have added things throughout EA, but it's basically a copy.

If you have not played Banished, I would recommend Banished instead. If you have played Banished and are looking for something that is more complex and has more stuff to play with, play Settlement Survival instead of installing a bunch of mods for Banished.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ultrachrist posted:

They just released an overhaul of the health and happiness system and did a bunch of balance changes for the recipes in case anyone that hasn't played it in a while wants to check it out. Basically health and happiness have been divided up into various different categories that give a max percentage that gets added to the total happiness. For example, having a proper burial place for your people gives you 10% health and there are also percentages for housingquality, food quality, logistics equipment, road quality, poo poo like that. Every 50 points you go up a level that adds on a buff or debuff, like moving faster or having more health. Of course it can also dip really low where people start moving slower or if your happiness really tanks they will refuse to procreate. Its not that hard to get to get to the baseline of 100% where there are no modifiers and it can go all the way up to 300%, but that requires a shitload of high quality things. I think the most I've reached is 250%, maybe.

I really like the game and as the poster above me said its basically just Banished with better graphics and more systems in place. If you like that kind of city builder you could do a lot worse than Settlement Survival. The devs are usually pretty good about releasing patches and in general taking care of the game. You can even sign up for the alpha and beta versions of the game but they change enough it might break whatever current town you're working on. There are plenty of late game things to make and there are even some wonders that require a poo poo ton of resources but give some really good benefits.

There are also plenty of options when you start a map that can make it easier or harder. If you want to make it really hard turn Natural Disasters to frequent. Even on normal you can get wrecked by 2 tornados back to back that rip through the center of your town. Its also one of the more obvious fail states as having a huge, bustling town can suddenly lose half the population really quickly.

The research tree does give you some replayability even though I find I choose some of the same techs in the same order. The tech tree has also been reworked a bit from the one a month ago.

Trade is really important as well and there are different factions you can trade with and level up that lets you access some quasi broken buildings are perks for your villagers. Things like farms that produce twice as much as normal or new recipes that require lower tier resources for higher tier stuff. That's also the only way to get access to wonders.

There are some good mods for it but since the devs are Chinese (I think) a lot of the mods people have made are in Mandarin (I would guess).

If all of this sounds fun I would highly recommend it. I've been playing it and starting new towns pretty reliably for as long as its been in early access and still find it fun.

Edit: The devs will do seasonal events too. The ones I can remember off the top of my head are Chinese New Year and Easter. I think they have also done a Christmas one and a couple others I can't remember. When they do a seasonal event they add new recipes, animals, or maybe a building or 2. Once the seasonal event is done they remove those things from the game except for the random trader that comes. For example you can't make easter eggs anymore because they took out rabbits after Easter was done but you can srill buy easter eggs from the random trader. Same with Tisu(?) wine, dumplings, and some clothing.

I also forgot to mention there are random events that usually end with some kind of bonus to your city. Usually in the form of free supplies or an offer to buy supplies for cheap. That is something you can turn off if it feels broken. Sometimes the random events just happen and other times you need to notice something on the map and click on it. Things like a massive tree that is growing somewhere or if you notice a bear walking through your town.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2022

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Looking at Ubisoft right now, Anno 1800 "complete edition year 4" at 50% off to be exact. Worth $60? Or just grab the stan- never mind, the standard edition is also $60.

Worth grabbing? There's also the Gold Edition Year 4 for $79. There's a few more options than I was expecting.

Edit: looks like Gold only gets season pass 4 while Complete comes with 1-4

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can anyone recommend any management games where things stay nice looking? I know I've asked this before. I like everything about management games except the bits where you turn nice woodlands and forests into blasted wastes and stripmines.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Splicer posted:

Can anyone recommend any management games where things stay nice looking? I know I've asked this before. I like everything about management games except the bits where you turn nice woodlands and forests into blasted wastes and stripmines.

This is not exactly what you’re asking for (I’ll think on it a bit more) but the second thing that comes to mind is Terra Nil. The first thing is Timberborn, oddly enough. Although you get him by ugly droughts regularly, sustainability is important.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LordSloth posted:

This is not exactly what you’re asking for (I’ll think on it a bit more) but the second thing that comes to mind is Terra Nil. The first thing is Timberborn, oddly enough. Although you get him by ugly droughts regularly, sustainability is important.
I'm a big Terra Nil hype man. How much of the map in Timberborn ends up covered in houses? And as an aside how forgiving/chill is it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you have a conduct that you want to minimize urban splat and maximize areas of restored greenery you can literally build tall and build all your houses and workshops in a few vertical beaver arcologies.

For difficulty it has a 'trick' in that you need to nail base level sustainable water before the first drought and then you're basically in free form sandbox unless you dialed the difficulty up.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Other ideas:
Imagine Earth - can be quite destructive, but the more destructive you are, the more disasters will spawn. You have some incentive not to destroy everything, but you do have capitalism to deal with as well.
Terraformers - start with a dead planet, end up adding life. Scale's a bit different, and the game is turn-based, which in my opinion is a point in favor versus the pacing of Surviving Mars

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

If you have a conduct that you want to minimize urban splat and maximize areas of restored greenery you can literally build tall and build all your houses and workshops in a few vertical beaver arcologies.

For difficulty it has a 'trick' in that you need to nail base level sustainable water before the first drought and then you're basically in free form sandbox unless you dialed the difficulty up.

You actually want to build vertical a bit, because farmland generally wants to be at-grade with the reservoirs (or below them, if you can manage that) to stay irrigated as much as possible, so sprawling over readily available flat land is generally going to cut into your wood and food growing territory, industry and housing wants to be clustered into big vertical areas or areas that are hard to farm.

And yes difficulty wise it depends on the settings, you can make it so the droughts get worse and worse (up to a cap) so you basically need to capture more and more of the river flow when it's running, and build deeper reservoirs to stop it all boiling off, which will often necessitate building out into new areas a bit, particularly up the river nearer to the source to build more reservloir tiers. But by default it's quite chill.

Trees and plants will actually slowly spread if you keep them irrigated, so you can certainly play it with that intent of keeping as much of the map as possible as green as possible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 25, 2022

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

LordSloth posted:

Looking at Ubisoft right now, Anno 1800 "complete edition year 4" at 50% off to be exact. Worth $60? Or just grab the stan- never mind, the standard edition is also $60.

Worth grabbing? There's also the Gold Edition Year 4 for $79. There's a few more options than I was expecting.

Edit: looks like Gold only gets season pass 4 while Complete comes with 1-4

Looks like a pretty nice deal to me, you could try consulting the Anno thread as well.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'm a big Terra Nil hype man. How much of the map in Timberborn ends up covered in houses? And as an aside how forgiving/chill is it?

Unless you play the super small map (literally called diorama), even by late game you'll have buildings on a small fraction of the map, like 10%. Hard mode can be pretty hard, but normal is nice and forgiving. Once you can make it through the first dry season, you'll be fine.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Splicer posted:

Surviving The Aftermath actually tends to make things better looking over time, as you're clearing out huge piles of trash and debris to make space. There's also an incentive to plant a bunch of trees, and move them from the sickly-looking-doesn't-grow-well areas to the grows-nice-and-looks-green areas. Of course, even the best buildings are still junky looking to fit with the whole post-apocalypse theme.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Mayveena posted:

Also Autonauts got a huge update making it way more accessible. They've also added a 300 bot limit achievement, which was much needed because really the solution to any issue in the game was to add more bots. You can disable the achievement if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqPANH6R14

I saw this game a while ago, thought "hey this looks pretty cool" and then promptly forgot about it. Will definitely be wishlisting it now.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

You actually want to build vertical a bit, because farmland generally wants to be at-grade with the reservoirs (or below them, if you can manage that) to stay irrigated as much as possible, so sprawling over readily available flat land is generally going to cut into your wood and food growing territory, industry and housing wants to be clustered into big vertical areas or areas that are hard to farm.

It feels slightly ironic that a good solution to the housing question in Timberborn is making a gigantic sky scraper dormitory building right next to your HQ (to maximize height since path length is finite!), while everything around is nice rolling farmlands and cultivated forests. Just smack some gigantic beaver statues on top of the Beaver Strip One and it's a cozy beaver brutalist dystopia home!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

floppyspud posted:

I saw this game a while ago, thought "hey this looks pretty cool" and then promptly forgot about it. Will definitely be wishlisting it now.

There are a lot of changes. No more recharging, less emphasis on research, more emphasis on what's needed to get to the next level. More programming options. Fewer bugs. Two big QOL improvements are machine saws are available much earlier as is the Bot database, making it much easier to create and manage bots. I'm 50 hours into my current save and am really enjoying it.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Mayveena posted:

There are a lot of changes. No more recharging, less emphasis on research, more emphasis on what's needed to get to the next level. More programming options. Fewer bugs. Two big QOL improvements are machine saws are available much earlier as is the Bot database, making it much easier to create and manage bots. I'm 50 hours into my current save and am really enjoying it.

Sounds great, and it's 50% off right now... hmm

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LordSloth posted:

Terraformers - start with a dead planet, end up adding life. Scale's a bit different, and the game is turn-based, which in my opinion is a point in favor versus the pacing of Surviving Mars

This is Planet Crafter, which I have just purchased and been playing to death. It's good, albeit early access. It's very cool to watch the environment transform over time as you change the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it as janky as Lets Game it Out makes it look?