Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
youtuber Greg Salazar has been running a series on his channel he calls "Fix or Flop", where he takes broken/defective systems sent in to him by viewers and tries to fix them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_5aGf0G9Q

in February of this year, one of the systems he dealt with was using an MSI AIO, and the problem was that the inside of the cold-plate was completely stuffed up with gunk, which meant the system was clogged and the AIO was basically useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RvIsMAhz14

in April, he found another one just like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-XA2cnca4

he found another one in May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7uBkjehgQk

in September, he was helping viewers with their RMA requests to MSI, and found out that there was an on-going recall of MSI for their AIOs under certain serial numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az2GZEZWi10

in this latest video, he talks about how MSI has an "advanced RMA" program, whereby users in the North America region, if their AIO serial number falls within a certain range, can have a replacement immediately shipped-out to them, rather than the traditional process of needing to send in your current unit first, and then needing it to be inspected, and only weeks later would you get a replacement, if the company judges the product to be approved for an RMA

what Greg is taking issue with here is that despite the AIO issue being known and widespread enough that there's a dedicated landing page for it, and an automated serial-number checker for all affected products, the "advanced RMA" offer only applies to North America, despite him having received viewer reports about such issues all across the world

he feels strongly enough about this that he's saying here that he's going to be blacklisting MSI, because it's the only leverage he has left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Combat Pretzel posted:

LTTStore.com shoelaces. Trying to milk the audience pretty hard, eh?

They have been able to sell LTT branded underwear quite well for a while now. Not sure if you can milk your audience more than that.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

The only thing left to sell is LTT branded jugs of milk.

On the subject of AiOs getting clogged up it seems like that's happened to a bunch of different manufacturers in the past few years. First one I remember hearing about was the Enermax one that GN liked for threadripper that turned out to get full of gunk. And then the Arctic Liquid Freezer II(which I have), who sent out replacement gaskets to fix the problem for anyone affected. I got the kit in the mail a few weeks ago but I haven't gotten around to actually installing the fix.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can someone explain this thing about a pump design patent that apparently dominates the space and how people are trying to get around it?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

can someone explain this thing about a pump design patent that apparently dominates the space and how people are trying to get around it?
IIRC the patent is simply for putting the pump on top of the CPU, which happens to be the only really convenient place to put it

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Llamadeus posted:

IIRC the patent is simply for putting the pump on top of the CPU, which happens to be the only really convenient place to put it

It's this yes. The other common design is in the radiator where it will be covered with a fan hub which looks goofy but works fine because it's not like you were getting airflow through there as it was.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Llamadeus posted:

I think there's slightly more nuance than that. Arctic somehow managed to circumvent it despite having the pump in the same housing as the waterblock on their AIOs. Other companies have been putting them in the radiator or tubing though, which is usually less optimal or convenient in some way.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Danish company Asetek holds US patent 8245764 as well as a bunch of other patents that basically covers most elements of AIO liquid cooler design. Most of this is probably unenforceable because it's too trivial, but Asetek is highly litigious and have won lawsuits specifically related to the pump-in-block claim before, earning them royalties on a bunch of AIO's made by other companies. More recently however they lost a patent infringement case against CoolerMaster in the EU a couple of years ago, in part due to prior art and in part due to the claims being too trivial. This ruling was upheld in the Supreme Court of the Netherlands in December 2020, which also resolved a couple of other related EU lawsuits against other companies that were waiting for the higher court to come to a decision in this case. Immediately prior to that, in November 2020, Asetek were threatening Arctic with a patent infringement lawsuit for basically the same thing, but their loss in the NL court probably made them drop that threat (I don't think Arctic circumvented the patents at all, really).

Even more recently (early October), Asetek settled out of court with CoolIT and Corsair in a California patent infringement lawsuit, even though their CEO said they totally could've won it. :rolleyes:
e: they also lost another lawsuit against CoolIT around the same time.
Since the patents in question were going to expire in 2025 anyway I think we've finally seen the end of this patent trolling nonsense, for now.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 24, 2022

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kramjacks posted:

The only thing left to sell is LTT branded jugs of milk.

LTT is Canadian so that would be branded bags of milk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

No, LTT is in BC and they use jugs out there. Bags are a Central Canada (Ontario) thing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

TheFluff posted:

Danish company Asetek holds US patent 8245764 as well as a bunch of other patents that basically covers most elements of AIO liquid cooler design. Most of this is probably unenforceable because it's too trivial, but Asetek is highly litigious and have won lawsuits specifically related to the pump-in-block claim before, earning them royalties on a bunch of AIO's made by other companies. More recently however they lost a patent infringement case against CoolerMaster in the EU a couple of years ago, in part due to prior art and in part due to the claims being too trivial. This ruling was upheld in the Supreme Court of the Netherlands in December 2020, which also resolved a couple of other related EU lawsuits against other companies that were waiting for the higher court to come to a decision in this case. Immediately prior to that, in November 2020, Asetek were threatening Arctic with a patent infringement lawsuit for basically the same thing, but their loss in the NL court probably made them drop that threat (I don't think Arctic circumvented the patents at all, really).

Even more recently (early October), Asetek settled out of court with CoolIT and Corsair in a California patent infringement lawsuit, even though their CEO said they totally could've won it. :rolleyes:
e: they also lost another lawsuit against CoolIT around the same time.
Since the patents in question were going to expire in 2025 anyway I think we've finally seen the end of this patent trolling nonsense, for now.

This is actually really interesting to me because the first AIO cooler I became aware of and actually bought was a CoolIT that had a very basic LCD screen on the pump/CPU block combo back in maybe 2006 or 2007? This was around the time that AIO water coolers were becoming a thing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Charles Leclerc posted:

This is actually really interesting to me because the first AIO cooler I became aware of and actually bought was a CoolIT that had a very basic LCD screen on the pump/CPU block combo back in maybe 2006 or 2007? This was around the time that AIO water coolers were becoming a thing.

Most of Asetek's extremely broad AIO patents were filed in like 2004-2005 and only approved 5-7 years later; the one in the EU CoolerMaster lawsuit was approved as late as 2015. There's absolutely no merit to these, but that doesn't stop a patent troll.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Resolution of the Newegg 4090 in the new Hardware News, apparently it was just a straight up theft at some point in the chain. Also its Newegg's policy is to lock a customer's account if they ask for a refund? That feels like asking for trouble.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Resolution of the Newegg 4090 in the new Hardware News, apparently it was just a straight up theft at some point in the chain. Also its Newegg's policy is to lock a customer's account if they ask for a refund? That feels like asking for trouble.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1585199037405630464

looks like they're pulling the video because there might be some further developments???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1585199037405630464

looks like they're pulling the video because there might be some further developments???

drat what the gently caress steve what is this, ethics or some poo poo like that

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arivia posted:

No, LTT is in BC and they use jugs out there. Bags are a Central Canada (Ontario) thing.

I was joking, but that said bagged milk used to be more common outside of Ontario and the Maritimes in the 70s. I'm an old Canadian so I remember poo poo like bags of milk and 300 baud modems and Peter Puck cartoons.

Now we have Linus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They tried to make bagged milk a thing in the UK in the mid-2000s. It didn’t work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We had bagged milk at school in western NY. gently caress you Canada you don’t get to claim this.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Tiny Timbs posted:

We had bagged milk at school in western NY. gently caress you Canada you don’t get to claim this.

Call us when your bags are 1333 mL

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My bags are 1337 ml

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Text me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

InfiniteZero posted:

bags are for gas >:(

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the igor-to-jay speculation pipeline is alive and well

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why does he get so many views

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

why does he get so many views

Clickbait titles and thumbnails get views.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

not 900k, not off of those 2 things.

never watched Jay, maybe his content is better as of late or something?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

forest spirit posted:

not 900k, not off of those 2 things.

never watched Jay, maybe his content is better as of late or something?

lol it's worse than it's ever been

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I had assumed he made a change after a bunch of tech YouTubers came out and said COVID production issues around the world killed the enthusiast builder space discussion online to the point where channel views are dropping like something Linus would drop

zing gottem

but yeah seeing big numbers had me think he did something to weather the drought but it seems he just has momentum

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

Clickbait titles and thumbnails get views.

oh word?

everybody does that

Jay is entertaining and has personality, his stuff is more fun to watch than the guy who talks over graphs. It's worse by every other measure, but even his talking head vids have more charisma than Steve or HUB or whatever. That's why he has twice the subs as GN. And back when he did build videos he made actually good content.

forest spirit posted:

but yeah seeing big numbers had me think he did something to weather the drought but it seems he just has momentum

He's good at feeding the youtube algo, which is how you keep views high.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Jay is way worse in the clickbait department than Gamers Nexus, it's not even a comparison. But apparently, people like vague titles where you don't know what you're going to watch.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
big difference between gn thumbnails and jay making videos with titles so vague it's often impossible to know what the video is going to be about: "This is such a rip off!!", "DON'T Do this with your GPU!" etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
also unlike jay, steve doesn't talk about wanting to kill BLM protestors

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I appreciate GN's clickbait thumbnails for almost always just letting you skip the video if you really wanted to because they're just a one-phrase summary of the conclusion. But I'm not gonna judge any youtube channel for playing the game so to speak.

I will judge Jay for his insane racist bullshit, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
To be clear, I am not suggesting that everyone go watch Jay. (For one thing, his information is generally worse, unless he's recapping something from someone else.) I'm simply saying there's a reason that Jay and LTT gets far more views than GN, and it's not just clickbait.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You don't need to tell us that people want unchallenging slop over researched information, we're alive in 2022

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

also unlike jay, steve doesn't talk about wanting to kill BLM protestors

That's quite the accusation lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

I don’t have the links to his old tweets at hand but they’re in the thread somewhere if you want them. Plenty of people here will back me up, I’m sure.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
He's been doing some Castle doctrine style "shitposting" during BLM, because some of the protestors were acting a little spicy. But since goons never forgive any faux-pas, he's persona non-grata to the heat death of the universe.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Charles Leclerc posted:

You'd have to go back far into the thread but yeah, it was basically him panicking about BLM breaking into his house and how he's armed and ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tbh one of the things i just like about gn is that they didn't spend most their tech channel making sex jokes in just about every single video