Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I hope this game never comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, this is fun. I managed to deal with some overly expensive imports by buying artillery and small arms from both Britain and Prussia, which caused import prices to drop.

Then there was a tool shortage, which I first overcorrected until Hannover was flooded with tools, now it's back to a more sane one unproductive route (we need the tools, but we're losing money buying them, great).

Even after slashing wages of our administration and military, the economy is still bad and in freefall. My current plan is to build an iron mine, then use it and our expanded university to fill a new steel mill, followed by hopefully turning all of this into a home-grown tool production. Or at least allow me to export whatever we're producing on the way to that goal to shore up finances, before our bad economy drains our entire global reserves. Which will happen in 1-2 years on our current trajectory.

Also since we're so dependent on imports, I've started researching frigates, we need better ships to protect trade routes.

I'm probably messing things up horribly, but it's a lot of fun! OK, time to switch to a per-capita tax to get more money into the Staatskasse. (Tooltip: Enrages trade unions? Eh, how bad can that be.)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm having fun clicking buttons to make numbers go up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does "Productive trade" just mean tariffs or secondary effect? Seems like sometimes you'd want to run subsidized imports just to drive down prices

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's 1839 and I've just abolished slavery in the USA, kind of by accident. Planters hate me, but every other interest group is somehow 10+ approval.

I tried to do the "nicer" Trail of Tears option and but I've still got native tribes rising up (fair). Luckily, they seem about as easy as native tribes in late game EU4 so far.

Traxis posted:

I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm having fun clicking buttons to make numbers go up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This poo poo is about to kick off.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Vichan posted:

Oh dear...

Literally a petite bourgeois

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Vichan posted:

Oh dear...

"Culture: Flemish" is wrong in so many ways, too

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have no idea what is happening but I am exporting assloads of tobacco from Haiti and running a profit despite paying France a CRIPPLING £2000 per period.

The game is simultaneously mad at me for not having enough paper and importing paper at a loss.

Haiti does not start with Napoleonic infantry.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Vichan posted:

Oh dear...

I mean, if anyone deserves to be portrayed like an old, angry, ugly baby it's Leopold II. Could Paradox maybe add some demons repeatedly chopping his hands off as he burns in hell if you look at his portrait after he snuffs it?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am like 7 years in as Sweden and have loans for half a million. I am starting to suspect I expanded my industries too quickly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Wait how do you conquer decentralised nations?

Playing as Chile I'm sure I had no option to conquer or annex the decentralised nations to my South and East, so I was painstakingly colonising them one province at a time.

But then the USA swept in and somehow did an "annex" diplomatic play and grabbed the whole thing in one go??

What am I missing?

I'm gonna end up restarting tomorrow.

Great game.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I will preface with: I am a moron,

but like it seemed really hard to figure out what boats were in my admirals fleet lmao.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I have found the most boring flag in the world.

(It's Oman's)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the corpses along the london bridge barricades are lined in heaps three deep... behind them the redcoats are rallying in their tattered uniforms for the next charge of the vile frank. 'The midlands may burn, the Thames fill with bodies, but we shall have Benin!'

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

fuf posted:

Wait how do you conquer decentralised nations?

Playing as Chile I'm sure I had no option to conquer or annex the decentralised nations to my South and East, so I was painstakingly colonising them one province at a time.

But then the USA swept in and somehow did an "annex" diplomatic play and grabbed the whole thing in one go??

What am I missing?

I'm gonna end up restarting tomorrow.

Great game.

You have to be colonizing them, if they rebel against you and then you win the war you take the entire territory.

I've managed to get Cape Colony to equal rights for everyone and a rapidly expanding economy, only really two issues left. I really need some more autonomy from the British but I guess there isn't a way besides independence? But I really don't want to be out of their market. And I've been colonizing at a steady pace, but I need to actually incorporate these states and it takes 20 years per lol.

I've barely been engaging with any of the systems this game but it's still incredibly engrossing.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
So I clicked around for a few hours tonight trying as Sweden. I might be dumb but in the expand GDP journal entry, is that where I just start trying to play?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Its 1862 in my Sweden tutorial run and my king, along with every other king in Europe, is immortal. Dudes like 94.

Springtime of Nations never sprung.

Honestly having a blast so far though. I'm gonna enjoy sinking my teeth in and figuring out how this poo poo works.

Dirk Pitt posted:

So I clicked around for a few hours tonight trying as Sweden. I might be dumb but in the expand GDP journal entry, is that where I just start trying to play?

Pretty much. From that point you're in the try poo poo out part of the adaptive tutorial.

Its not a great tutorial.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Zeron posted:

You have to be colonizing them, if they rebel against you and then you win the war you take the entire territory.

That's the only way? This was definitely a diplomatic play that the USA started somehow.

I was colonising them the whole time and I never got anything about rebellion. Can I force it somehow?

There's a colonisation policy law that slows down tension decrease, I guess I should have tried that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm having an issue as the US trying to war with Mexico. France keeps jumping in and stalling everything out to an annoying degree. Also, I banned slavery, changed the police to dedicated police, and enacted multiculturalism with barely a peep. Then I tried to give women rights and the entire loving country lost their minds over it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Why is my offensive and defensive rating so crap? Is it only determined by tech?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's now 1838 and I managed to save the Kingdom of Hannover from economical implosion.

Turns out trying to fill all the shortages in your tiny country is a bad idea if your bureaucracy can't handle a trillion trade routes operating all at once!

Now our country exports iron from our new iron mine, and exports furniture, fed by our local logging, and not much else. Also I had to downsize the military considerably to solve the "our guns are too expensive, help" problem without overtaxing our bureaucracy by ordering more imports to suppress the local price. Now our military doesn't need so many guns in the first place, another problem solved. :smug:

Politically, we're still struggling to implement a simple tax reform: Industrialists and Intelligentsia are all for it, Landowners and Middle Classes fight tooth and nails against it. Then I shot myself in the foot by accidentally gifting my landowners with extra political power when I encouraged grain exports. Ouch. Now the reform reset back to 0% progress. :shepface:

GOTY

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Waifu Radia posted:

yes and I want to build my new farms where there’s a dummy number of peasants so they go work there instead

Will try this when off work, Ty!

The peasants column tells what you want I think.

Has anyone come up with a better strategy than sorting the market details by price (to get the % over/under base price) for deciding what to build next?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Party In My Diapee posted:

Why is my offensive and defensive rating so crap? Is it only determined by tech?

You might have to actually upgrade your units in the same way you upgrade buildings. Just unlocking the techs isn't enough.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Can you form the Kalmar Union? I somehow defeated Denmark as Sweden and I'm trying to figure it out.

EDIT: I found it! It's the Scandinavian Empire and it's hidden under cultures??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The USA seems to always colonize those Canadian tribes resulting in hideous borders. Paradox plz fix

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
game good

Texan war of independence isn't actually very hard if my first run is representative, just parked Sam Houston on defense, won two battles handily, and triggered an event to capture Santa Anna

Texan economy is, well, it technically exists

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
having a great time as chile, have a chronic worker shortage (very little migration, quasi-regressive laws not helping) but i have an insanely high gdp and standard of living from prioritizing mining.

just got hit by a massive earthquake that put my second biggest state at 99 devastation, first real setback of the game. budget usually isn't like this lol

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Libluini posted:

It's now 1838 and I managed to save the Kingdom of Hannover from economical implosion.

Turns out trying to fill all the shortages in your tiny country is a bad idea if your bureaucracy can't handle a trillion trade routes operating all at once!

Now our country exports iron from our new iron mine, and exports furniture, fed by our local logging, and not much else. Also I had to downsize the military considerably to solve the "our guns are too expensive, help" problem without overtaxing our bureaucracy by ordering more imports to suppress the local price. Now our military doesn't need so many guns in the first place, another problem solved. :smug:

Politically, we're still struggling to implement a simple tax reform: Industrialists and Intelligentsia are all for it, Landowners and Middle Classes fight tooth and nails against it. Then I shot myself in the foot by accidentally gifting my landowners with extra political power when I encouraged grain exports. Ouch. Now the reform reset back to 0% progress. :shepface:

GOTY

I’m having a lot of similar trouble with Portugal’s starting situation. Is this a case where I should cancel all their traderoutes to get bureaucracy under control and from there try to expand trade as I can, making some money by importing the most needful products through tariffs?

What about exports? I feel cancelling all exports would make a lot of Portugal’s overseas productions crash.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I'm trying to win the opium war and failing so very, very badly.

After dinner, I'll restart for the third time and THIS time I think I understand what to do to kickstart the economy (I'm pretty sure the tool tip saying that additional government offices won't make money is a lie.)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was very impressed with how well this game ran on my garbage old PC, it's smoother than Imperator.

Is there a good way to bootstrap demand for tools without also needing other industrial products? I started out as Persia so I can't just import stuff because I don't have trade access to Europe yet.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

RabidWeasel posted:

I was very impressed with how well this game ran on my garbage old PC, it's smoother than Imperator.

Is there a good way to bootstrap demand for tools without also needing other industrial products? I started out as Persia so I can't just import stuff because I don't have trade access to Europe yet.

saw mills, then use the wood for furniture or paper.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do I de-mobilize an army? I had a native uprising and hired a general and sent my massive army of 3 divisions in. The war almost instantly ended but I constantly have a warning saying I have an idle army now. I can't figure out how to turn them off????

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm also having trouble understanding the army interface. The Ottomans start with ten units "in reserve", which sounds like a bad state of affairs, but I can't work out how to assign them to a general. Maybe there's something in the help files somewhere.

I'm trying to come up with the best start for the Ottomans. At the moment I'm trying using taxes on liquor and tobacco to fund expanding their construction industry to about 20, then focusing on producing paper and weapons as those are needed by bureaucrats and soldiers, and the Ottomans need to modernise those to remove some really nasty penalties. Tech-wise I'll bee-line Currency Standards and try to move to Appointed Bureaucrats, Land Voting, and Per-Capita Taxation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
for some reason I can't add colorado to my wargoals in my war against Mexico as the US

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah, just switch some lumber yards to use the production method that requires tools. Then use the extra wood to make tools. This cycle should be self-sustaining, but you can add iron into the mix and make metal tools.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

creamcorn posted:

saw mills, then use the wood for furniture or paper.

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Wood seems to be a big bottleneck so that'll kill two birds with one stone.

It occurs to me that since Persia starts with interventionism that might have also let me use subsidies just to get things off the ground, didn't check.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Two questions, the first which might be too early to tell:

1) are there any bugs/glitches which are serious/numerous enough to warrant waiting on, or is this a polished-by-paradox-standards release?

2) does this run well on Linux/Proton?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I have very, very little idea what I'm doing but I'm having a great time doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

creamcorn posted:

having a great time as chile, have a chronic worker shortage (very little migration, quasi-regressive laws not helping) but i have an insanely high gdp and standard of living from prioritizing mining.

just got hit by a massive earthquake that put my second biggest state at 99 devastation, first real setback of the game. budget usually isn't like this lol

Those are some suspiciously green trees for Mordor.