Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

yeah, my SIL's roku, while convenient, runs like poo poo

i got a firestick for the lovely basement tv but we haven't used it thoroughly yet - setup seemed smooth tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jonny 290 posted:

ugh christ now i gotta re-download 630 movies cause i never thought i'd get a 4k so i only got 1080p rips max

rip your harddrive space

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dunno what gen mine is. Apple Store app says it’s an Apple TV 4K. idk if there are multiple generations of it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the one they just announced but isn't out yet is the third gen 4k. i'm picking up the 2nd cause i dont wanna wait and it doesnt have any new dealbreakers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dammit timb. nutted but he still skuing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

dammit timb. nutted but he still skuing

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't have a workspace (chair, desk, etc.) at home and also have a very hard time putting myself into "work mode" when at home

i mean, i learned the hard way over 14 months but i loving power thru poo poo during in-office days

Pile Of Garbage posted:

might finally get one, just need to get it from store to apartment

show up with your drivers lic and insurance card and home depot will give you a dump truck for $18/hour. i have done this several times

Jonny 290 posted:

ugh christ now i gotta re-download 630 movies cause i never thought i'd get a 4k so i only got 1080p rips max

i have never watched 4k content on my 4k tv and 1080 rips look fine

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
cjs: small earthquake so i went home, not gonna hang around a buncha tall buildings if i aint gotta

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the jump from 1080 to 4k isn't as impressive. not really worth it imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't seem to notice earthquakes most of the time but i did hear my shelves rattling, and i saw one of my students' camera views swaying a bit

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sounds like you noticed an earthquake

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
watching your first hockey game in 1080 from 480 :pwn:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Only quake I got to experience in the years I lived in SF was that one that hit at like 4 in the drat morning and mostly damaged Napa

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hbag posted:

sounds like you noticed an earthquake

yes, this time.

mostly i find out about them like the next day when people ask me if i felt the earthquake last night etc.

the two i remember most distinctly were one about 4 years ago where i stood up from my desk at the same moment it hit, and i immediately felt dizzy and stumbled, and thought "drat, i stood up way too fast"

and one about 7 years ago that woke me up in the night sounding like the neighbors upstairs were dragging furniture around.

e: yeah the second one was the napa quake. looks like it was 2014

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

graph posted:

it was tennis for me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
first thing i saw broadcast in 1080i was jay leno lmao :smithicide:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

jesus WEP posted:

it was tennis for me

Same

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

First time my parents got an hdtv I watched like 4 hours straight of tennis lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

yeah, i can't say ive been bothered by my tv being online

i use it to launch netflix, plex, prime and youtube

im sure whatever is being harvested is happening on the same as your apple tvs - i just cut out having another box

my concern is less someone knowing I'm watching Fury Road again and more RCEs leading to my tv being used as a botnet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

Only quake I got to experience in the years I lived in SF was that one that hit at like 4 in the drat morning and mostly damaged Napa

i was never scared about earthquakes until i owned a home. Then it went from "wheee surprise rollercoaster" to "I wonder if this is the day I lose half a million dollars"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

rotor posted:

my concern is less someone knowing I'm watching Fury Road again and more RCEs leading to my tv being used as a botnet

the soc would burn out before it does any appreciable damage lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

the soc would burn out before it does any appreciable damage lol

however, i am still left with a problem in this hypothetical situation

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

i was never scared about earthquakes until i owned a home. Then it went from "wheee surprise rollercoaster" to "I wonder if this is the day I lose half a million dollars"

sheesh why don't you just get earthquake insurance. careless

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

however, i am still left with a problem in this hypothetical situation

well yeah i guess someone might think its the parody "mad cats: furry road"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

sheesh why don't you just get earthquake insurance. careless

hahahaha

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Napa quake was fun because there was no "we will rebuild, SF Bay Strong!!" poo poo afterwards because it's fuckin' Napa they can afford it gently caress 'em

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

i have never watched 4k content on my 4k tv and 1080 rips look fine

ok?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah the jump from 1080 to 4k isn't as impressive. not really worth it imo

find me a 1080p oled and i'll take you up on this.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

4K on its own isn’t impressive compared to 1080, but with 120hz+ screens, hdr, oled backlighting, and no ghosting, it’s beyond noticeable and extremely worth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I was in Eureka during the Petrolia quake and it was a wild ride.

The best part about it was that this was before the days everyone had cameras in their pocket and the only place a camera was running near Petrolia was during Ferndale Frontier Days so the footage CNN ran was of like stagecoaches being dragged by panicked horses and ladies in big hoop skirts running around, it was great, if you looked close you could see my boss in costume

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

The best part about it was that this was before the days everyone had cameras in their pocket and the only place a camera was running near Petrolia was during Ferndale Frontier Days so the footage CNN ran was of like stagecoaches being dragged by panicked horses and ladies in big hoop skirts running around, it was great, if you looked close you could see my boss in costume

hahahah

<nyc dude voice> would ya look at that! it really is the wild west out there!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jesus WEP posted:

it was tennis for me

tennis channel loving owns

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I would keep your 1080ps and only grab any big 'showcase' movies at 4k, I've had this 50" 4k for a few years now and I have a tiny selection of 4k film files stored.

Mostly if I do watch a newer movie in 4k it's viewed once and deleted, no storing multiple 50gb+ files if I can help it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

graph posted:

it was "planet earth" for me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I would keep your 1080ps and only grab any big 'showcase' movies at 4k, I've had this 50" 4k for a few years now and I have a tiny selection of 4k film files stored.

thats honestly a decent play yeah. There aren't too many movies made in the 4k era that are really worth archiving. NMN the voice of sanity, as always

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

of all my things, watching Fleabag from Prime blew me away and that's a low bitrate cuase of streaming

i have yet to watch a 4k disc but im holding off until i get an OLED next year - i haven't bought physical media in a looooong time

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Mostly if I do watch a newer movie in 4k it's viewed once and deleted, no storing multiple 50gb+ files if I can help it.

This is a good strategy. I do a modified version where I always look for 4k but unless it's a real showcase/visual stunner of a movie I have it set to only look for encodings that come in under like 14GB/hr. Then a separate quality filter for the Gimme the Best movies.

Less than half the movies survive on the drive after watching, too.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

didn't feel the earthquake earlier, but i'm in north bay so i think i was too far away from it.

cjs: gotta write up my end of year review stuff and i hate it and i struggle to write anything nicer about myself than "is sufficiently mediocre"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

some low bitrate HEVC stuff is seriously impressive compression, but imo there's no comparison (and no, i don't own much physical media either, lol). from a distance it's definitely Good Enough but the 20 GB per hour poo poo is :discourse:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm still rocking my 2016 lg oled and I can't imagine needing to upgrade it anytime soon it's so perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

there's a happy medium in there somewhere i think, i've been seriously impressed with the HEVC 10-bit+ compression ratios. lots of them are roughly on par with h.264 at like 5x the size