Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

do you have a volume up button

holla when you get a 'play movie' button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i wish you guys had a "post better" button

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
playing ultrasonic clicker noises on the zoom to turn on graph's zenith television

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
go to BED hbag

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

holla when you get a 'play movie' button

yeah it's on my harmony remote already

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i had a gorgeous 55" plasma that was taken out by an earthquake when i lived in berkeley. lost a bong, coffee table, and tv to that drat quake.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

it's extremely low effort to pick the version with a dts or ac3 or whatever track

i dont know what those are

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

codecs. not even once.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
theres ac4 now :wtc:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nudgenudgetilt posted:

codecs. not even once.

Beeftweeter posted:

looks like i made the correct decision

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Beeftweeter posted:

there's like nine assassins creed games at this point

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

i dont know what those are

and i'm not going to explain it to you because i know watching things from after 2000 is beneath you. dropping this now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
:rolleyes:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the modern era of searching the internet for info and having to sift through so much goddamn shittily written AI generated clickbait crap to find something written by a human can just gently caress off and end now, please

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

the modern era of searching the internet for info and having to sift through so much goddamn shittily written AI generated clickbait crap to find something written by a human can just gently caress off and end now, please

amen. it's the loving worst

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it’s wild how much more unreadable the internet is now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's really bad and search is unusable now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
we need webrings again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it's really gross that you have to choose between an AI mashup of wikipedia and ad copy, or a redditor's opinion

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I frequently get fed up and add "reddit" to the end of searches too and the results are not good but they at least occasionally exist

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the Zoomers use TikTok search more than Google lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

youtube is guaranteed to have some insane nerd who went out and bought 20 webcams or whatever and tested them side by side, so just do that and skip to the last 30 seconds

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

plutotv crushing appletv is amusing to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dioxazine posted:

plutotv crushing appletv is amusing to me

goddamn plutes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the current trick is just to add +reddit to every search that seems likely to turn up all that ai garbage. doesn't work for everything but it helps tremendously for product reviews etc.

e: beaten but yeah.

it's astounding how badly google has poo poo up what is supposed to be their untouchable flagship product.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
in my personal life 90% of my searches now start with Reddit. Otherwise you just get posting is a fun way to connect with friends. If you’ve been waiting for the latest news on posting, get ready because this article is all about posts. Post are usually found in threads, which are topics on a forum board where you can write (and read!) posts. The most recent update in 2022 about posts are they are a good way to connect with friends, in addition to fun!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Dropped a "per my last email" in disguise to someone who didn't realize I'd answered their question already two hours ago

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it's astounding how badly google has poo poo up what is supposed to be their untouchable flagship product.

i bet more people click on ads when the search results are garbage

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

jesus WEP posted:

youtube is guaranteed to have some insane nerd who went out and bought 20 webcams or whatever and tested them side by side, so just do that and skip to the last 30 seconds

lol bless those rich bastards

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

we need webrings again

i had a project started with this and it was pretty good but you still need hosting and no one has that any more

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i bet more people click on ads when the search results are garbage
Idk, I think they’ve just lost the battle for pagerank or don’t care enough anymore.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the lack of a common free hosting solution like geocities is one of the big problems with the internet in the 2020s

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that one elden ring meme was correct, gamefaqs was the apotheosis of accurate info online

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have a neocities site that ive not touched in like two years

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

and they just got bought lol

https://gamerant.com/fandom-acquires-gamefaqs-metacritic/

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

jesus WEP posted:

that one elden ring meme was correct, gamefaqs was the apotheosis of accurate info online

this makes sense, Reddit is basically the same but with a majority of dumbos mixed in who don’t actually have accurate answers. but Reddit has the highest concentration of people who are really into thing (text version - video version is youtube), you just have to wade through the Idk the answer but here’s my uninformed guess posts

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

we need webrings again

i'd be down with this. what i want is some good 'ol fashioned curation you know?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
basically, you get the best info from people driven by obsession or spite. gamefaqs had the first one covered

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i wonder if reddit will get consumed by ai generated posts. i guess the one thing it has going for it is a random reddit user can't make profit on other people reading their posts so there's less of an incentive to have a sketchy mixed up google result post.

but for product reviews or political things there's definitely an incentive to make real-sounding posts that are fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Enderzero posted:

Idk, I think they’ve just lost the battle for pagerank or don’t care enough anymore.

i can see that being true too, google as an organization seems to care about zero of their products and just seems to be coasting on inertia at this point

rotor posted:

the lack of a common free hosting solution like geocities is one of the big problems with the internet in the 2020s

definitely, facebook locked away a lot of that market/content