Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's a few scenes that are particularly funny in Barbarian but I didn't think it was that funny of a picture.

edit:

Spoilered for Barbarian

The loving cops not doing anything and just driving away is top tier and representative of what would actually happen

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We didn’t undersell it we put in the spoilers because it’s the best part of the movie to discover for yourself

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Post some Short films recommendations , I need to fill out a bingo card slot and I don't know any short films.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

First ep of del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosity was ok. Pretty good but nothing really special in terms of spooks, direction, or performances. Neither of these first 2 eps though is from one of the director’s i’m really watching for so hopefully there’s so more interesting stuff as we go on.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

GdT'sCoC is like the better episodes of Masters of Horror. Nothing amazing, but they're pretty OK for what they are so far.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m finally watching Barbarian and I did not expect to feel so thoroughly seen by a movie.

Only 20 minutes in, but that “ridiculous” way that Bill Skarsgard has for putting on a comforter cover? Yeah I don’t know how he stole my patented method.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Post some Short films recommendations , I need to fill out a bingo card slot and I don't know any short films.

I look around on Youtube. Crypt TV and ALTER are my first go tos, then I start looking over anything analog horror like Gemini Home Entertainment, Mister Manticore, Eventide Media Center, Bitesized Nightmares. There's more but that should be a start.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollismason posted:

Some pretty obvious ones:

The Black Tower (1987)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw6exAfUWMI
A ominous tower follows a man through London. Told almost entirely through off screen narration.

Curve (2016)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dD3Fawk4y0
A woman tries to survive trapped on a curved concrete surface above a seemingly bottomless pit.

Childer (2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCK3umiKQQ
A mother tries to protect her home and son from strange feral children.

Geometria (1987)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeAt-0Ub9
A student turns to black magic to try to gain an academic advantage.

Chainsaw Scumfuck (1988)
https://youtu.be/-fEVmiB9hgQ
Title self explanatory.

Also shameless self promotion my own short that all of you have probably already seen:

Necromancy Tutorial (2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSAtHSgNe4
A YouTube tutorial on raising the dead.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Rewatched Barbarian with my gf who hadn’t seen it and man it was so fun to see her go through all the steps of “what the gently caress is this movie?”

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Most of the British Ghost Story for Christmas tv films probably count as shorts and most of the older ones are great.

Especially Whistle and I'll Come to You, The Signalman, Lost Hearts, and Warning to the Curious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

First episode of Cabinet of Curiousities is pretty good and honestly its kind of charming to have Del Toro introduce each episodes along with naming the director of each episode. Its kind of nice.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Agreed, GdT is very charming as the Serling/Hitchcock narrator

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guillermo seems like a genuinely cool dude.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Honestly, in any other year Cabinet of Curiosities would be a huge landmark event, but we've been blessed with so much good horror this year that it's just another one for the pile.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm 2 mins into Deadstream and I can't wait for terrible things to happen to this guy

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think tomorrow and Friday will be the good eps.

Tomorrow we have David Prior (The Empty Man) with David S Goyer on script duty and then Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night)

Friday is Panos Cosmatos (Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow) followed by Jennifer Kent (Babadook)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm really looking forward to Pickmans Model and Dreams in the Witchhouse.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m finally watching Barbarian and I did not expect to feel so thoroughly seen by a movie.

Only 20 minutes in, but that “ridiculous” way that Bill Skarsgard has for putting on a comforter cover? Yeah I don’t know how he stole my patented method.

What the hell is the name of the movie where the two guys put on sleeping bags and dance around while singing "Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye", because for like ten whole seconds I expected Skarsgard to start doing that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

First episode of Cabinet of Curiousities is pretty good and honestly its kind of charming to have Del Toro introduce each episodes along with naming the director of each episode. Its kind of nice.

This is the correct opinion

e: It's definitely what I want out of a modern anthology show so far. Creepshow is fun and schlocky but extremely, extremely rough around the edges and falls on its face a lot. This has a bit of a less-schlocky Tales from the Crypt vibe.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

What the hell is the name of the movie where the two guys put on sleeping bags and dance around while singing "Johnny We Hardly Knew Ye", because for like ten whole seconds I expected Skarsgard to start doing that

Opinions like this are why I have to live alone. :(

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m watching Barbarian right now, this is some good poo poo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I’m watching Barbarian right now, this is some good poo poo

Having just finished, whooooooooo you guys weren’t kidding.
The longer it went on the more I liked it. gently caress.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax posted:

I'm 2 mins into Deadstream and I can't wait for terrible things to happen to this guy

That was terrible and I feel like you all pranked me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just finished Barbarian, it was dope. Hell yeah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Opopanax posted:

That was terrible and I feel like you all pranked me
Haha, I felt the same way. The main character was annoying as gently caress and I was rooting for him to die the whole time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Just finished Barbarian, it was dope. Hell yeah

I expected it to be good. I didn't expect it to be so narratively broad but also tight as a loving drum. There's not actual waste on that bone : yeah it gets slower, but that's counterpoint.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

FINALLY have a ticket booked for Terrifier 2

Very excited.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy poo poo Barbarian was amazing!!

Movies about hidden door ways and tunnels and rooms in a house are one of my favorite horror topics

Also had no idea where it was going

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 26, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Me neither. What an awesomely weird film that was.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that Reveal when Mother first comes out is an all timer

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I saw it a month ago and I'm wondering if a second viewing will lose its effect, because the unexpected way it plays out is a big part of why I liked it so much.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got around to watching Deadstream the other day. I liked it; i'd probably give it a B-. Veered into slightly campy Sam Raimi Evil Dead territory at times. The douchebag streamer became oddly likeable throughout the movie.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Opopanax posted:

I understand that he's supposed to be an annoying parody of a facile, attention-craving streamer, but you still have to spend 80 minutes with the guy and it was a trial for me. Most of the jokes don't land, either.

On the positive end, I caught Smile tonight and thought it was really good. The obligatory elevated horror psychological tropes don't really hit their mark, but it had some great scares and absolute top-notch music + sound editing

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Barbarian good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Terrifier 2 vs. Barbarian: Horror Thread Civil War

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Yeah that Reveal when Mother first comes out is an all timer

See I felt like the whole movie was like that.

Every loving decision seemed both entirely natural but also a complete surprise.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the only weird thing about Barbarian was nobody was like "why is there a single airbnb in this completely abandoned desolate neighborhood". Like both main characters were like "nothin sketchy bout that, ill take it!"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

But also ewww using an AirBnB in 2022. Stickin to hotels where I don’t have to pay a convenience fee for a cleaning or get charged because I left an empty spool of toilet paper on the roller.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kvlt! posted:

Terrifier 2 vs. Barbarian: Horror Thread Civil War

This is like choosing two children. I adore them both.

Both do excel at weird dark comedy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

But also ewww using an AirBnB in 2022. Stickin to hotels where I don’t have to pay a convenience fee for a cleaning or get charged because I left an empty spool of toilet paper on the roller.

agreed 100% ill take a cheap motel over an airbnb any day of the week. Also gently caress an uber I still use taxis lol.