Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

Can anyone identify this bird? A little over a foot tall.

They live by my office building (San Francisco) and came up to the balcony during a meeting yesterday, waddled up to the open door and looked at the people for awhile, then squeezed under the railing and glided off after a bit

Looks like a young Red-tailed Hawk. I'm guessing this is a phone photo but if you happen to have a high-res photo you might be able to get enough info on the leg bands to find out more about this individual's history. Given you're in SF this could be a recent capture from the Marin Headlands by Golden Gate Raptor Observatory, although it's also possible it's a bird that was taken to a wildlife rehabilitation place and released. Also possible it was banded in the nest as part of a research study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

red-tailed hawk

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Thanks. Either them or a bird that looks the same has lived around here for a few years, so seems like they're doing well for themselves.

It's a very big bird to be coming up 5ft away from you with nothing in between

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

Thanks. Either them or a bird that looks the same has lived around here for a few years, so seems like they're doing well for themselves.

It's a very big bird to be coming up 5ft away from you with nothing in between

No doubt! Now just imagine you were a squirrel.

Where in the city are you? I was going to ask in a FB group to see if there are some likely candidates. A 5 second google search only pulled up the nest in the Presidio but there could be more in different parts of the city.

This particular bird probably hatched this year. But if there is a nest nearby it could be you've had parents and multiple years of youngsters visiting your balcony.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Near where candlestick park used to be

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple of folks in a local birding forum are pretty sure it's a GGRO bird, so a young red-tail migrating through that got captured and banded in Marin on its way south. If I get confirmation I'll post it here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In a world going to pot, a bit of good news:

https://twitter.com/GoughIsland/status/1584826076886597633c

cognitios
Dec 21, 2019
I'm about to go birding for the first time, I had some of the local park rangers tell me a good area and time to search for Bald Eagles. I'm going to get some cheap binoculars to look, any other tips?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

cognitios posted:

I'm about to go birding for the first time, I had some of the local park rangers tell me a good area and time to search for Bald Eagles. I'm going to get some cheap binoculars to look, any other tips?

Wear a hat

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

A couple of folks in a local birding forum are pretty sure it's a GGRO bird, so a young red-tail migrating through that got captured and banded in Marin on its way south. If I get confirmation I'll post it here.
They were back today and someone got a side view picture. The color band colors are ones GGRO uses. I think there's supposed to be a letter above the number that's lost in the fluff though.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cognitios posted:

The Merlin app is very good and helpful for identifying stuff

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cognitios posted:

Eagles are huge so look for big lumps on trees near the shore or big rear end birds flying around. It helps if you learn what a soaring Turkey Vulture looks like (shallow V and teetering a bit when soaring, usually don't sustain flapping flight for more than a few wingbeats).

This may sound obvious but make sure you adjust your bins for your eyes. Most models have some eyecup adjustment to get the distance from your eye to the lens optimal, and that distance is pretty different for glasses-wearers compared to non-glasses wearers. There's also a diopter adjustment for differences in focal distance for each eye. Usually you close one eye, focus using the normal focus knob, then use the other eye and adjust the diopter knob to get the best focus there. It's not that you can't see anything without doing these two steps but it's a lot more pleasant to have your bins set up properly.

Other than that, I'd say use your ears as much as your eyes. Even if you can't ID birds by sound yet, focusing on sounds tells you where something is.

you can explore birding hotspots using eBird. This tells you the recent lists of birds that other people saw there and you can also get seasonal bar-charts of what's common and what's unusual your time of year.

Have fun!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also the Audobon app, which is good; and I recently was introduced to the app by Cornell U called "Merlin" by another birder, and it's capable of identifying a bird from its song (you record a bit).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cognitios posted:

Look at something with your eyes, try to note a reference point, and without moving your eyea/head raise your binoculars to your eyes. Try to point them in the same direction you are looking, but otherwise find your reference. Be patient with yourself.

Tree trunk, left, thick branch is a good sort of reference point for fine tuning where you are looking.

Eyes see movement and patterns. Look for movement or a break in the pattern.

Be patient.

Get up earlier than you expect.

They sound like a pathetic whistling noise. TV bald eagle sounds are a red tailed hawk.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
As someone who both enjoys birds and has terrible color vision, don't underestimate how much you'll use your ears. It can be really helpful to be patient and stay still and just listen for songs and calls to guide you. Especially when so much birding in the US is looking for slightly different little brown birds. For binoculars I have these and I'm happy with them as a relatively new bird looker - https://www.celestron.com.au/products/nature-dx-8x42-binoculars

VacaGrande fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 28, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Foxfire_ posted:

They were back today and someone got a side view picture. The color band colors are ones GGRO uses. I think there's supposed to be a letter above the number that's lost in the fluff though.

I heard from the banding coordinator at Golden Gate Raptor Observatory. She was really excited to get the info and there's enough from the 2 photos you posted to get an ID on the bird. It is indeed a bird caught in Marin and she was excited to learn about where it ended up.

She'd love to hear from you directly to get more detail on the location of the bird and how long its been there. Her contact Teresa Ely, tely@parksconservancy.org

additionally, she was hoping you could report this to the national bird banding database. All* banded birds get a uniquely-numbered aluminum band provided by the US Geological Survey, but those are almost impossible to read unless the bird is found dead or injured or recaptured at a bird banding station. In the GGRO project they've added unique colored bands to the other leg and with the two photos we can tell it's
a Lavender band with "P 66" on the left leg. You can report this to reportband.gov and it will become real data and (I think they still do this) you get a certificate indicating the history of the band.

*a few game birds get state-issued bands, and pet/hobby birds like racing pigeons have their own independent system

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hello bird people

i think i have become bird people

my wife (a long-time insane bird person) and i recently stumbled into all the sandhill cranes overwintering in southern new mexico. quite the experience.

she has a pair of good 8x42 binoculars, and i want to buy her/us another pair for christmas. i was thinking a pair of 10x50 or 12x50 vortex diamondbacks, to give us more reach sometimes. that seem okay? Or should I bother with IS (...that's a lot more expensive)

here is a bird (a lesser sandhill crane)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Have you considered a spotting scope to compliment binoculars, rather than than duplication bins? A scope and modest tripod provides much more usable high magnification than bins.

https://www.audubon.org/gear/scope-guide

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 22, 2022

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Have you considered a spotting scope to compliment binoculars, rather than than duplication bins? A scope and modest tripod provides much more usable high magnification than bins.

https://www.audubon.org/gear/scope-guide

I was going to suggest this too. Scopes really open up waterfowl/shorebird opportunities.

If you stick with binoculars, i probably wouldn’t worry about IS unless you have really unstable hands.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i bought a scope, but didn't really like using it, and my wife especially didn't like it. centering the image in the eyepiece was a little hard on the one i bought. maybe in the future. i looked through a Swarovski scope years ago in yellowstone. this was not that experience.

i returned it. ~$350 is the most i can really spend, and uh, seems like that's not enough to get a spotting scope that doesn't make me hate it.

thank you for the IS note though, i've never used binoculars with IS, it just seemed nice?? but neither of us have a problem keeping binoculars still.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
350 bux isn't a lot for optics and won't get you a decent scope even used, I reckon. I'd just spend it on decent standard birding bins, magnification 8 or 10. 12x50 might be great for shorebirds and birds of prey but unwieldy for most other uses

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
On that subject, my wife wants something cheap and compact she can put in her purse for those times she sees some bird while out and about. We already have car-noculars and a nice pair of Nikon binoculars. This is something whose primary characteristic is small, it doesn't need to be hyper magnifying or have crystal clear optical characteristics. Monocular is fine. Does such a thing exist in a price point that isn't $lol?

My wife is uh... brutal on optics/glass.

Seconding that IS is nice but not at all necessary. Used a friend's high end canon IS binoculars and while very nice wasn't worth the $ to me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

On that subject, my wife wants something cheap and compact she can put in her purse for those times she sees some bird while out and about. We already have car-noculars and a nice pair of Nikon binoculars. This is something whose primary characteristic is small, it doesn't need to be hyper magnifying or have crystal clear optical characteristics. Monocular is fine. Does such a thing exist in a price point that isn't $lol?

My wife is uh... brutal on optics/glass.

Seconding that IS is nice but not at all necessary. Used a friend's high end canon IS binoculars and while very nice wasn't worth the $ to me.

As far as I know compact binoculars (and I guess monoculars) scale about like normal-sized binoculars. I have something like these (can't find them at the moment to confirm the brand lol). I haven't used them much recently but they used to ride around in my backpack on my commute. Just keep them in their case and they should be fine.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!
Seems like a good time/place to ask - I've been warned against leaving binoculars in the car because high temperatures can damage them. I'd love to have mine available on a whim but I don't want to mess up a (relatively) high-dollar trinket. How real is this concern? I do live somewhere with pretty intense sun, although they would live in the console out of the sun, the car is garaged most of the time, and it has pretty dark tint.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VacaGrande posted:

Seems like a good time/place to ask - I've been warned against leaving binoculars in the car because high temperatures can damage them. I'd love to have mine available on a whim but I don't want to mess up a (relatively) high-dollar trinket. How real is this concern? I do live somewhere with pretty intense sun, although they would live in the console out of the sun, the car is garaged most of the time, and it has pretty dark tint.

Don't know the upper limit but under-seat or glove-box storage should be fine under most conditions. Most bins probably have warranties that would cover separated coatings regardless. But yeah, if you live in Phoenix and it's 117 maybe I wouldn't leave them in there if I were parking in the sun all afternoon?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I saw these two birds hanging out at the park just now. The bottom one is making a nest. Watched him dig in the hole he's made. The other one hopped over to another tree and was chowing on some bugs.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Finally getting my nocs for christmas. Birds better watch out if they dont want to be quietly observed from some distance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is this a good thread to ask questions about BirdNet Pi?

I just set one up and it's really cool but I'm curious how to get a cleaner audio signal with less of a noise floor.

It already picked up an owl this evening :3:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo that looks cool AF.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
There's a Bioacoustics Stack Exchange that would actually be perfect for that question: https://bioacoustics.stackexchange.com/

It's hard to give a good answer without way more info about your hardware though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is this a good thread to ask questions about BirdNet Pi?

I just set one up and it's really cool but I'm curious how to get a cleaner audio signal with less of a noise floor.

It already picked up an owl this evening :3:

Cool! Not sure if anyone here is an expert. A lot of things can potentially cause noisy recordings (wind or other environmental effects, electrical interference, microphone or pre-amp issues, bad filter...). Maybe there's a Cornell forum with some tech guidance?

can you post a photo of how you have it deployed?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I guess it was an open ended question but I didn't want to bog down an active bird thread with audio related questions.

My setup is very basic. I'm using an omnidirectional lapel mic with a usb sound card into a raspberry pi.

I've seen some people say that giving the rpi cleaner power will result in less hum on the microphone so that's the first thing I'm going to try. I'm just using the regular power supply but I saw a comment saying that using a laptop power supply with a usb port on it can give it the proper grounding it needs.

Another thing I'm going to try is a different brand usb sound card in case the one I have is introducing some kind of ground loop.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

withak posted:

Holy poo poo that looks cool AF.

It's not 24/7, but the Merlin app now does this in your phone, too. It's really neat - just turn it on during the dawn or evening chorus and let it figure out what's around.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah I guess it was an open ended question but I didn't want to bog down an active bird thread with audio related questions.

My setup is very basic. I'm using an omnidirectional lapel mic with a usb sound card into a raspberry pi.

I've seen some people say that giving the rpi cleaner power will result in less hum on the microphone so that's the first thing I'm going to try. I'm just using the regular power supply but I saw a comment saying that using a laptop power supply with a usb port on it can give it the proper grounding it needs.

Another thing I'm going to try is a different brand usb sound card in case the one I have is introducing some kind of ground loop.

Power supply to a lapel mic sounds like a possibility. Also check if there's any wind/low freq roll off settings on the mic or high-pass filter in the software that will cut the low noise.

I don't know if you have much recording experience but in case you don't, just make sure you temper your expectations of the recording quality you're going to get. And do everything you can to position the mic closer to where the birds are and away from any local sources of environmental noise. Just because your ears know something is there doesn't mean it will stand out in a recording.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If you're buying a power supply, it might also be a good idea to make sure you get one that has a ground pin on the plug. Most don't seem to.

Do you get the same hum when you use the same card with a computer?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
You can always try the 'ol ferrite ring on the power cord. Sometimes it can help with EM noise.

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I just had the most surreal experience. I was looking through a list of birds of NY and I've seen all of them(almost daily) except for one called the Cedar Waxwing. I've never heard about it or seen it before. I googled it and it looks like some loving AI generated poo poo that was just added to the matrix.

I really want to see this bird.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Look for large flocks of cardinal-shaped birds in trees and bushes, especially ones with berries like hollies. They're known for totally gorging themselves when they visit a tree. I also see them in flowering tulip poplars. They go to town on the flowers.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
They have a high pitched whistly call that can help you notice them too. Also, they are smaller than I always expected from just looking at pictures before I initially saw one in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

HungryHungryHobo posted:

I just had the most surreal experience. I was looking through a list of birds of NY and I've seen all of them(almost daily) except for one called the Cedar Waxwing. I've never heard about it or seen it before. I googled it and it looks like some loving AI generated poo poo that was just added to the matrix.

I really want to see this bird.

I have them where I live in Colorado, and they are beautiful! My wife took this picture at a nearby pond.