Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

~~~~~~~~~~~~
My question : There was a sci fi horror movie that one of the streaming services did set in the 50's. It's a bunch of nerds in highschool working at a radio station but then they get spoopy space signals? I think the thumbnail art was a very close close-up of a woman in cats eye glasses? Does this sound like anything?

The Vast of Night on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

worms butthole guy posted:

Also what are the good Horror TV shows? I love:

Scream Queens
Twin Peaks
Carnivale

But struggle to think of any others

In addition to all already mentioned: Tales from the Crypt

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watche'd Terrifier 1 to be interested and yeah it was so goofy in the gore it ended up being funny. Thinl my biggest complaint is this all happens to "good" people and not bad people. Can only imagine what Terrifier 2 is like.

Way funnier intentionally

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

The Vast of Night on Amazon

O thank you.

91 on the nugget. Perfect. Saved my sanity. I've been just googling "night 50's sci fi horror" and you can imagine how helpful that is.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Horror and horror adjacent:

American Gothic
Ash vs. the Evil Dead
Chucky
Creepshow
Evil
Hannibal
The Haunting of ____
Inside No. 9
Kolchak the Night Stalker
The League of Gentlemen
Lovecraft Country
Midnight Mass
Millennium
Night Gallery
The Outer Limits
The Shivering Truth
Tales From The Crypt
Tales From The Darkside
The Twilight Zone
The X-Files

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The vast of night is so good. One for he best alien movies imo

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a way to stream Tales from the Crypt

how is the Creepshow tv show?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Uneven, but a lot of fun. The bad episodes are dire, but the ones that are good are pretty enjoyable in a pulp horror kind of way.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Hot drat The Autopsy was great. Exactly what I was hoping for out the Cabinet of Curiosities. Gross monster and some horrific eye trauma too.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Interview with the Vampire show that's just started on AMC is astonishingly good

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: completely beat, but

CelticPredator posted:

The vast of night is so good. One for he best alien movies imo

It's a great UFO movie. I'm still not sure if I'd call it horror! I'd say it traffics in paranoia rather than dread, despite having a definite casualty list, if that makes any sense. It does have some good long one-shots and strong performances.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 27, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sold I’m gonna watch that tonight

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The autopsy not interview with a vampire. It looks so much not my thing at all

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

anyone have good "escape" horror movies The Black Phone and Chained are both kinda the vibe I'm looking for, less something like Saw or Escape Room where it's kinda a "game" and more like "someone is abducted by a serial killer and has to figure out how to escape"

Misery or Gerald’s game might do the trick for you.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gonna go see Terrifier 2 soon, will I be missing out on much not having seen 1?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I will also say that Santa Clarita Diet was FUN. It's incredibly uneven, very silly, and ended on a cliffhanger.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

You may miss some inside jokes/references but youll understand the plot 100%

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MariusLecter posted:

Art the Clown killed a bunch of poeple, and ate a ladies face, and that lady went on TV and then killed the TV host. Thats all you need.

Oh and he blew his own brains out and ended up in the morgue

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

let me see some love for the god drat X FILES

Yeah. Show was a mixed bag but had some of the best TV horror you’ll see.

Also Kolchak the Night Stalker

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Barbarian was fun, dug it a lot. Now to backread this thread’s three FBI-files-rear end pages I had to carefully skip over

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

E: completely beat, but

It's a great UFO movie. I'm still not sure if I'd call it horror! I'd say it traffics in paranoia rather than dread, despite having a definite casualty list, if that makes any sense. It does have some good long one-shots and strong performances.

holy poo poo this camera work

I'm only like a half an hour in (cigarette break), and so far I'm not exactly bowled over by the story which seems to be a pretty slow burn but JESUS this is well made. Like from a technical standpoint it's constantly doing backflips for no obvious reason besides it's a cool thing to do.

I don't think there's been a master shot yet, and it's not a true oner but there's been like 4 cuts total. Did they also give Aaron Sorkin a double-decker just to show they were really top dog at this?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Kolchak versus Kojak

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xiahou Dun posted:

holy poo poo this camera work

I'm only like a half an hour in (cigarette break), and so far I'm not exactly bowled over by the story which seems to be a pretty slow burn but JESUS this is well made. Like from a technical standpoint it's constantly doing backflips for no obvious reason besides it's a cool thing to do.

I don't think there's been a master shot yet, and it's not a true oner but there's been like 4 cuts total. Did they also give Aaron Sorkin a double-decker just to show they were really top dog at this?

The shots are so badass and so long. They really suck you into the story as if you're listening to someone talk to you. It's great.

I'd say its def spooky if you watch it in the night. It gave me the same feeling I got when I watched alien documentries as a kid.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm only like a half an hour in (cigarette break),

thats why you dip like me so u dont gotta pause the movie. i mean yeah its the most unnatractive thing ever but have u seen my posts i aint tryna attract people

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Uneven but good. It’s always fun seeing the Creep again.

My episode recommendations-
1.1 - Gray Matter/The House of the Head
1.3 - All Hallows’ Eve/The Man in the Suitcase
2.1 - Model Kid/Public Television of the Dead* - this segment is a must watch
2.3 - The Right Snuff/Sibling Rivalry
2.5 - Night of the Living Late Show
3.3 - The Last Tsuburaya/Okay I’ll Bite

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

As good as it is, can we at least acknowledge how messed up it is that Guillermo Del Toro is keeping all these directors in that cabinet?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

As good as it is, can we at least acknowledge how messed up it is that Guillermo Del Toro is keeping all these directors in that cabinet?

i mean all those directors u think hed at LEAST shell out for an armoire

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Monsters TV series deserves more love.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

The Munsters movie deserves more love.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Everyone should be watching Cabinet of Curiosities because it needs to be a huge success so we can get another season.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Everyone should be watching Cabinet of Curiosities because it needs to be a huge success so we can get another season.

Same but with terrifer 2

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Please, mighty Cthulhu!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

i mean all those directors u think hed at LEAST shell out for an armoire

Or a chest of drawers! You know Panos has slept in worse.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

thats why you dip like me so u dont gotta pause the movie. i mean yeah its the most unnatractive thing ever but have u seen my posts i aint tryna attract people

O no, see by myself I'm literally the worst person you could imagine trying to watch something with. I will always, always pause rather than miss the tiniest fraction of a movie, and I will indulge every mad whimsy that flies into my head. The first time I watched Dead Snow it took me 5 hours because I got distracted teaching myself Norwegian.

A cigarette break is nothing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

O no, see by myself I'm literally the worst person you could imagine trying to watch something with. I will always, always pause rather than miss the tiniest fraction of a movie, and I will indulge every mad whimsy that flies into my head. The first time I watched Dead Snow it took me 5 hours because I got distracted teaching myself Norwegian.

A cigarette break is nothing.

I totally feel you my friend I was the exact same way I still have to put in a conscious effort to like sit through movies without doing exactly what you described lmao, im still not perfect and its taking me years of work but i was like "drat i wish i could just watch a drat movie" so like dedicated myself to trying to sit through them without pausing/checking my phone etc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
sorry for the late report: frankenstein v mummy by the terrifier guy was not good!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

sorry for the late report: frankenstein v mummy by the terrifier guy was not good!

who won tho

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
doesnt matter i lost

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

doesnt matter i lost

im curious tho can u put it in spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
added tags for a movie from like 2015 that sucked frankenstein won by smashing mummys head with both fists. he was then promptly killed