Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When does the main story force you to start doing Mementos again? Was it the 3rd Palace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think it's like P3, you aren't forced to any Mementos until the very end.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, huh. I thought P5 had some cases where you had to venture into Mementos to find out information about your main story targets but I guess I was wrong.

Guess I'll delay my Mementos adventuring till one of my non-Moon confidants require me to go in, then.

Can I stack Moon Requests and do them all at once or do I need to do one request to unlock another?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Oh, huh. I thought P5 had some cases where you had to venture into Mementos to find out information about your main story targets but I guess I was wrong.

Guess I'll delay my Mementos adventuring till one of my non-Moon confidants require me to go in, then.

Can I stack Moon Requests and do them all at once or do I need to do one request to unlock another?

You have do one moon request to unlock the next one.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC you want to do Mementos on rainy/pollen days, because rainy days slow down the Shadow spawns and pollen makes rare Shadows like treasure demons more common.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kay kay, thanks for the info! I guess I'll hafta get off my rear end and do some Mementos on a pollen day.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just finished up Okumura's palace and man it's kinda incredible how even after being dramatically shortened in Royal from the vanilla version, it's still way too goddamn long.

I'm enjoying the replay overall but man there are some palaces where I'm just getting absolutely fed up with the padding and blitzing them with no care for stealth. Palace 3 was also just an absolute goddamn slog, I forgot how long the final vault section drags.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Sydin posted:

Just finished up Okumura's palace and man it's kinda incredible how even after being dramatically shortened in Royal from the vanilla version, it's still way too goddamn long.

I'm enjoying the replay overall but man there are some palaces where I'm just getting absolutely fed up with the padding and blitzing them with no care for stealth. Palace 3 was also just an absolute goddamn slog, I forgot how long the final vault section drags.

Keep in mind that, by design and narrative, the idea is not to blitz through the palaces in one go, but mixing your daily life with the incursions, there's a reason there's such a long list of checkpoints when you leave the palace and for Morgana to have an unique comment depending on which point you left it.

I know that's the most optimized way to play the game, but you have to understand you're forcing yourself to play as if action game players forced themselves to play with speedrunner strats or refusing to continue in a game that ranks one until they get an S rank in every stage.

I hope in future entries they acknowledge this balance problem. I think they straight up shouldn't reward the player for rushing the dungeons, just give the incursions their own time slot that doesn't take away the social ones and let them take their time (except maybe have the party members' SL unavailable when the deadline is close by, if only for narrative purposes). It'd be easy to justify by saying time flows differently in the dungeons (which is how it worked in P3 now that I think about it).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Yes as that gives you bonus confidant exp when interacting with them. Not all confidants need to have a matching persona when talking to them but there is only like 2 or so in the entire game.

Judgement, Moon, Sun, Magician, and Fool don't need personas for interaction. And as mentioned you only need Lovers, Chariot, Death, Hierophant (locks at rank 4), and Counsellor in the first couple of months. It really opens up in the third month - but at that point summoning new Personas from the velvet room is so cheap it really doesn't matter.

Oh god I'm starting to worry about stats, I just finished Palace 2 and I'm like 2 in every stat except 3 in Guts and Knowledge, that seems vastly understatted.

Remember the stats are out of 5 and you've got 8 months to get them there. You're honestly right on top of guide-based optimal. Other than Guts focus on confidants before your stats - and train only if you've nothing else to do.

And yeah, some palaces are too long. Okumura was the worst in Vanilla even if his boss battle got harder in Royal.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Petiso posted:

Keep in mind that, by design and narrative, the idea is not to blitz through the palaces in one go, but mixing your daily life with the incursions, there's a reason there's such a long list of checkpoints when you leave the palace and for Morgana to have an unique comment depending on which point you left it.

This is I feel a major difference between P5R Merciless and other difficulties/vanilla. When not on P5R merciless your key factor in dungeon diving outside boss battles is meant to be stamina management; you can win any fight you choose but you're going to run out of resources including SP and consumables. Running a dungeon in one night is meant to be a challenge and significant test of skill. Merciless on the other hand turns you and your enemies into glass cannons and makes every individual fight a test of skill where defeat is almost always on the table but the fights (and hence the dungeon) is shorter and SP recovery easier so endurance isn't really a thing.

I massively prefer the Merciless game - but they are different games in many ways.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Persona as the devs meant it to be played is a resource management game that happens to have life sim and dungeon crawling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah the big problem in Royal especially is that you can get so many SP items that you don't get the soft cap of SP running out that the base game has at least sometimes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I get that you're not supposed to do the palaces in one day, but it's a timed game. The "15 days until game over" tells me to press on, even if the game and my party are telling me it's ok to turn back. Because I wasted the whole day on this I'm going to get a whole day's worthy of exploration in!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also dang, Makoto following you around is really dorky and cute, I don't think I noticed it in my P5 playthrough. Might not have noticed without this thread, so thanks, whoever posted about it a page or 2 ago!

What made it funnier is she looks like she's trying to hide behind a copy of Shonen Jump, naturally making me think she's secretly a huge shonen battle dork (which is probably a valid read). Given her love of violent movies I like to think she's a big Chainsaw Man fan.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I get that you're not supposed to do the palaces in one day, but it's a timed game. The "15 days until game over" tells me to press on, even if the game and my party are telling me it's ok to turn back. Because I wasted the whole day on this I'm going to get a whole day's worthy of exploration in!

At the very least in Royal it's easier than ever to explore as much as you're allowed in one day.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I'd really like to see more of the P3 Slink mechanics come back, like having to hang out with the slinks your leveling regularly or else they reverse, ability to break links, etc. I just think those mechanics are neat

But I do think they should move back to the P3 style "adventuring/dungeon crawling dedicated time slot" rather than it taking an entire day away from you. I also really liked how spending too much time in tartarus in one session would run the risk of your people getting overly exhausted and ultimately sick, which meant they wouldn't be available for subsequent nights or your stats would be lower until you recovered.

Both of those things probably wouldn't be popular moves though, I've definitely heard people online talking about how they hate that there's a time limit at all in P5R, so making it so that you have to balance your social calendar and not overuse people in dungeons or you get penalized would probably be even more frustrating :v:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So what are the best strats for easy money?

I went into Mementos shortly before the third palace, walked out with about 300k, finally got everyone’s gear updated to the best stuff from the shop—still not sure if this was actually worth it—trying to get Temperance up as fast as possible, ditto Sun, but after fusing and buying stuff, I’m back below 100k. Need at least that for Fortune.

When I did Mementos, I had like six or so requests and knocked all those out in a go.

I’m guessing if I need another cash infusion, I’ll have to go back into Mementos, but I wanted to avoid that trip if possible, since now there’s so many confidants the time management is starting to feel actually restrictive. Anything else I can do other than fish for big money negotiations in Mementos? I’d have preferred to build up more requests before going back. I’m on 7/5 I believe.

Also, all social stats at 3 and change. I feel like this is on track. Death needs Charm 4 to go up again, Hanged needs guts 4 I believe.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

I went into Mementos shortly before the third palace, walked out with about 300k, finally got everyone’s gear updated to the best stuff from the shop—still not sure if this was actually worth it—trying to get Temperance up as fast as possible, ditto Sun, but after fusing and buying stuff, I’m back below 100k. Need at least that for Fortune.

When I did Mementos, I had like six or so requests and knocked all those out in a go.

I’m guessing if I need another cash infusion, I’ll have to go back into Mementos, but I wanted to avoid that trip if possible, since now there’s so many confidants the time management is starting to feel actually restrictive. Anything else I can do other than fish for big money negotiations in Mementos? I’d have preferred to build up more requests before going back. I’m on 7/5 I believe.

Also, all social stats at 3 and change. I feel like this is on track. Death needs Charm 4 to go up again, Hanged needs guts 4 I believe.

It is mementos and yeah that is the best approach to it. Just wait until you have a lot piled up or it is rainy day and there is nothing else to do to just go ham on it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I really liked how Royal gave Mementos a few more music tracks and they're all bangers

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the big problem in Royal especially is that you can get so many SP items that you don't get the soft cap of SP running out that the base game has at least sometimes

This is why the SP Adhesive 3 is the most important item in the base game. In Royal if you're sharp and careful you can one-shot a dungeon without even using SP boosting items at all. A solid sweep at Baton Pass 3 using just first tier attack powers costs the first person 4SP, the second 2, the third 0, and gains 6SP for whoever does the sweep. If you have the right party therefore the total SP cost is low - and then you get a little back to all party members when you find a Will Seed. Throw in guns and your average fight should cost the average non-Joker party member almost nothing. And if Joker has Heat Up he's more than fine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Persona 3 was the best game at treating your dungeon crawling as another activity that you needed to schedule your life around like school clubs and your social life but I think people don't really like the actual social life mechanics like backsliding links in practice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

neonchameleon posted:

This is why the SP Adhesive 3 is the most important item in the base game. In Royal if you're sharp and careful you can one-shot a dungeon without even using SP boosting items at all. A solid sweep at Baton Pass 3 using just first tier attack powers costs the first person 4SP, the second 2, the third 0, and gains 6SP for whoever does the sweep. If you have the right party therefore the total SP cost is low - and then you get a little back to all party members when you find a Will Seed. Throw in guns and your average fight should cost the average non-Joker party member almost nothing. And if Joker has Heat Up he's more than fine.

or you can just boost your mementos item drop rate to 10x and get like 10 Snuff Souls from the ticket machine drop lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Petiso posted:

I know that's the most optimized way to play the game, but you have to understand you're forcing yourself to play as if action game players forced themselves to play with speedrunner strats or refusing to continue in a game that ranks one until they get an S rank in every stage.

I hope in future entries they acknowledge this balance problem. I think they straight up shouldn't reward the player for rushing the dungeons, just give the incursions their own time slot that doesn't take away the social ones and let them take their time (except maybe have the party members' SL unavailable when the deadline is close by, if only for narrative purposes). It'd be easy to justify by saying time flows differently in the dungeons (which is how it worked in P3 now that I think about it).

Eh, I agree that vanilla P5 was setup that way, but Royal absolutely threw a ton more stuff in to make blasting through palaces in a day extremely easy to the point that it feels tacitly encouraged. Will Seeds, way more plentiful SP items, the overhauls to the baton pass and gun ammo mechanics, etc.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'd really like to see more of the P3 Slink mechanics come back, like having to hang out with the slinks your leveling regularly or else they reverse, ability to break links, etc. I just think those mechanics are neat

But I do think they should move back to the P3 style "adventuring/dungeon crawling dedicated time slot" rather than it taking an entire day away from you. I also really liked how spending too much time in tartarus in one session would run the risk of your people getting overly exhausted and ultimately sick, which meant they wouldn't be available for subsequent nights or your stats would be lower until you recovered.

Both of those things probably wouldn't be popular moves though, I've definitely heard people online talking about how they hate that there's a time limit at all in P5R, so making it so that you have to balance your social calendar and not overuse people in dungeons or you get penalized would probably be even more frustrating :v:

Yeah all stuff mentioned here would be cool but I doubt we'll ever see it again aside from the dedicated adventure slot.

BurningBeard posted:

Get Ryuji to rank 7 which unlocks the ability to insta-kill mementos shadows with a green aura by fast driving into them, use stamps with Jose to increase money earned from mementos battles, and rank Fortune up to rank 3 for Money reading. Ryuji's insta-kill counts as an all out attack for the purposes of triggering bonus money from the reading, so you can just go nuts driving into shadows and rack up stupid amounts of money with little hassle.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Best money strat is Mementos but that 100,000 Yen to Fortune is the last time money is remotely relevant unless you're really determined to always have the best fusion personas.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The problem with the "too much time" mechanics is that they are essentially buying an anti-lottery ticket. It's not fun to have a random chance of a debuff. Instead I'd like stamina meters for all the party members to encourage you to not just stick with a core team; they get a buff when fresh and their performance and even the S-link degrades at high levels.

What I think I also want is a "Mini-Memento" team hangout where you, Morgana, and a couple of party members of your choice go on what's intended to be a short Mementos dive essentially as a hangout activity.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Persona 3 was the best game at treating your dungeon crawling as another activity that you needed to schedule your life around like school clubs and your social life but I think people don't really like the actual social life mechanics like backsliding links in practice

I thought it was a cool mechanic :shobon: but yeah I think the wider audience that the game has at this point would absolutely hate that kind of stuff? It also makes the games WAY more strict to 100%, since you can't run every s.link at the same time without some of them reversing or breaking since you just don't have time to hang out with everyone regularly

At least it didn't include tokimeki bomb mechanics so a s.link slipping impacted the other ones. Although....

neonchameleon posted:

The problem with the "too much time" mechanics is that they are essentially buying an anti-lottery ticket. It's not fun to have a random chance of a debuff. Instead I'd like stamina meters for all the party members to encourage you to not just stick with a core team; they get a buff when fresh and their performance and even the S-link degrades at high levels.

What I think I also want is a "Mini-Memento" team hangout where you, Morgana, and a couple of party members of your choice go on what's intended to be a short Mementos dive essentially as a hangout activity.

Yeah that's true, changing it to be a stat you can actually track (and therefore swap people out so they can get some rest, or choose to press on knowing that it will impact you) would be a good QoL change for this hypothetical idea

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

What made it funnier is she looks like she's trying to hide behind a copy of Shonen Jump, naturally making me think she's secretly a huge shonen battle dork (which is probably a valid read). Given her love of violent movies I like to think she's a big Chainsaw Man fan.

Royal makes it clear she loves Fist of the North Star.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ImpAtom posted:

Royal makes it clear she loves Fist of the North Star.

We have already stolen your heart.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
She also asks you to come see a kung fu flick with her at one point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They already put crumbs on it, but segmenting the dungeons is probably how they're going to do future games. I think a lot of complaints about like Shido's dungeon is because the average person posting about persona 5 is more likely to one-shot it which is a bad time because it's definitely not meant to be one-shot length wise.

Re-designing Persona 5 to only do a quarter of the dungeon and adding a few more replacement days would've solved a lot of fatigue issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

She also asks you to come see a kung fu flick with her at one point.

Even better, a New Battles Without Honor or Humanity-style yakuza flick. I knew we'd get along then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Don't your party members refuse to hang out with you if it's getting close to the deadline? Always thought that was another thing that made people not want to do the dungeon over a few days.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I could be misremembering but I thought that was the case in 4 as well. If the investigation was on, party members were unavailable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Don't your party members refuse to hang out with you if it's getting close to the deadline? Always thought that was another thing that made people not want to do the dungeon over a few days.

Gradually but it takes a while. Like it isn't until the week of most stop showing up prior to that they just ask if you are *sure* we should be loving around in a Ramen Shop right now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly I don't think I ever left a palace for longer than a week, and once I had SP restorative accessories I just did them all in one run because there's not really a reason not to and it gives you more life sim days

They are kinda slogs though that way, either making it more segmented and integrated into the story, like for example you have to go on this specific day due to plot reasons, or giving it a separate time slot would do wonders for making it feel better to pace yourself

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My brother is playing this game now and all I can say is that I need Joker to change his heart to make him use multiple save slots in videogames.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Why do you need more than one for this game?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One reason is that he's mad about time limits because he doesn't want to miss anything. But making a safety save to go back to in case you mess up is beyond the pale I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always have two in case one file somehow breaks.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

One reason is that he's mad about time limits because he doesn't want to miss anything. But making a safety save to go back to in case you mess up is beyond the pale I guess.

He should just follow a guide then because it's reasonable strict enough that you need a pretty set schedule to get absolutely everything done

I still think the games are way more fun if you don't try to do everything in one go since you get to take your time and just enjoy what you do see :shrug:

Plus if you really like it it's not terrible on a new game+ since you don't have to build your stats and can just absolutely smash your way through combat with end game personas

I literally rotate 5 different saves and have on every RPG I've ever played though. I honestly don't think I've gone back more than like.. two saves at most but dang it, what if one breaks or I forgot something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Imagining having one save slot and accidentally proceeding when I only got one proficiency from making a lockpick, thereby setting in motion a chain of consequences which cannot be undone