Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you think will win the 2022 MLB World Series?
This poll is closed.
Mariners 32 20.65%
Blue Jays 13 8.39%
Rays 2 1.29%
Guardians 9 5.81%
Yankees 13 8.39%
Astros 12 7.74%
Phillies 10 6.45%
Braves 13 8.39%
Dodgers 22 14.19%
Padres 12 7.74%
Mets 10 6.45%
Cardinals 7 4.52%
Total: 155 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Anyway don't worry Astros posters, I'm pretty sure I read one of you saying the Astros have never won G1 of the WS? Save the panic for later on.

Also if at any point you go down 3-1 I will unironically root for you to come back and win it because we need to add to the 3-1 legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

I was very surprised to tune in late and see that both Nola and Verlander were left in long enough to give up five runs. You better believe if it was the Dodgers in there the starter would have been yanked after three runs allowed max, even if it were Kershaw in early innings.

Granted I guess it's game one with plenty of WS left to play so might as well hope your ace rights the ship vs torching your pen early on.

And the Dodgers are not in the World Series, so fart

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
We already sent the Yankees back to hell, I’m genuinely okay with losing this WS. Nothing’s going to top sweeping the ALCS.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Most accurate ump call I've ever heard :cawg:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

Anyway don't worry Astros posters, I'm pretty sure I read one of you saying the Astros have never won G1 of the WS? Save the panic for later on.

I mean we have a 1-3 record in the WS with that being the case so it's not exactly a good thing, but yeah it's not insurmountable.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
there's already no excuse for a pticher the calibre of JV blowing a 5 run lead

he did it with less than a full inning's worth of outs

I'm very envious of Phillies fans. You already know you've won the series and get to enjoy it. Even the one year (even not knowing about the bangs) we got to win it was a nailbiter the whole way

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I was very surprised to tune in late and see that both Nola and Verlander were left in long enough to give up five runs. You better believe if it was the Dodgers in there the starter would have been yanked after three runs allowed max, even if it were Kershaw in early innings.

Granted I guess it's game one with plenty of WS left to play so might as well hope your ace rights the ship vs torching your pen early on.

The thing is its goddamn near impossible to torch our pen the way it's set up right now. The hook should be lightning quick

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I'm very envious of Phillies fans. You already know you've won the series and get to enjoy it. Even the one year (even not knowing about the bangs) we got to win it was a nailbiter the whole way

Careful you're approaching dangerous levels of mcmagic posting here. Like this is a solid 7.5 on the mcmagic scale. Maybe even an 8.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intruder posted:

I look forward to this week of you and I going back and forth over who is more firmly convinced their team is completely and utterly hosed

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
come on intruder, its one game lol

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

illcendiary posted:

Astros have never won a WS game 1 lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

come on intruder, its one game lol

It's one game and it was almost expected given how bad JV has been in the WS

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

It was Game 1 with a JV start, man. Patience.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was Game 1 with a JV start, man. Patience.

It was game 1 with a 5 run lead that lasted less than 3 runs

Just because it was game 1 doesn't mean it doesn't matter

Games 3 and 4 and arguably Astros favored but that doesn't change the fact that this should have been a win

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/iam_johnw/status/1586217263912271872

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The thing to be worried about as an Astros fan is that their offense has been in a kinda mediocre boom-or-bust malaise for most all of these playoffs which has been masked by winning all the close games they played in prior to tonight and by the Yankees offense being even worse. The pitching outside of JV hasn't been a problem at all.

The Astros should be able to outslug a team like the Phillies with the quality of pitching they have. Then again, that's what the Braves and Padres thought too.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
JV needs to go to an NL contender next year so he can face the Yankee lineup in the World Series. The resulting paradox will rip a hole in the space time continuum and transport us all to the Good Timeline.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Well Played Mauer posted:

JV needs to go to an NL contender next year so he can face the Yankee lineup in the World Series. The resulting paradox will rip a hole in the space time continuum and transport us all to the Good Timeline.
It'll be a restoration of the '98 offensive environment. At once deadball and dinger chase.

Kershaw and Verlander to the Friars. Redemption arc for the choking aces as they lead the Padres to their first title.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

honestly feels like the same people who'd say "how do you pull Cole?" are the ones asking how you leavre Verlander in

he's in because he was the best starting pitcher in the league this season. and he blew it. that's baseball

now the Phillies haver a huge, huge advantage. and if they win tomorrow the series is just about over. but you stick with who brung ya I guess. it does make sense. two of the runs he allowed were on a weird bloop. but gently caress. in hindsight? gently caress

sigh

p surew the Phillies are going to win the series

e: feelin' sad

just.... sad. the lead got me in a happy mood and now... feels like a lost cause

just another reason to not put so much stock in how a local sports team does

e2: and yes I was one of those "gently caress verlander he sucks" people

yeah. baseball

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 29, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

I mean the main argument for automatic strike zone is that it’s nearly impossible for any human to call balls and strikes by the letter of the law consistently.

It would also help if the umps had an ounce of humility and weren’t gigantic dicks about always being right.
The funny thing is that umps are arguably more accurate than ever at calling balls and strikes. What the league really needs is the ability to get rid of umpires that are just blatantly, openly confrontational and incompetent. I know...binding union contracts and all that, but as far as I'm concerned the MLBPA should be able to send Manfred and Co. a document about an umpire like Angel Hernandez that says "We took a vote and 97% of players have no confidence in his ability to do his job at a professional level anymore, so starting one week from today we're going to refuse to take part in any games in which he's part of the officiating crew".

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The team with the player that won america taco's has won the last 5 world series

congrats phillies!!!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What is this taco thing

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Asproigerosis posted:

What is this taco thing

stolen base in world series game gets everyone a taco bell taco https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-schwarber-wins-americans-free-031244214.html

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

triple sulk posted:

Mr. Kyle Schwarber

This year you have to sign up for the app though, before you could just go through the drive thru and they'd give you one (with another purchase)

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The loving Phillies won? We really are in the worst timeline.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

davecrazy posted:

The loving Phillies won? We really are in the best timeline.

i agree, op :smuggo:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They still do 2-3-2? That's dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We already sent the Yankees back to hell, I’m genuinely okay with losing this WS. Nothing’s going to top sweeping the ALCS.

Copium.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Intruder posted:

I'm very envious of Phillies fans. You already know you've won the series and get to enjoy it.
Hi have you ever met us

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

This guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUp1dvZHFJU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/mleif/status/1586340416101781504

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

he tucked around and found out

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

davecrazy posted:

The loving Phillies won? We really are in the worst timeline.

nah this is good op

go phillies

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

mcmagic posted:

He doesn't miss.

You absolutely do not have to hand it to him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

You absolutely do not have to hand it to him.

You kinda do... He shitposted his way into being literally the president lol

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

mcmagic posted:

You kinda do... He shitposted his way into being literally the president lol

And will again in 2 years thanks to Elon Musk buying Twitter... BUT ANYWAY.

Baseball. A hell of a drug.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the saddest loving thing I've read in a long time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My favorite thing about the playoffs continues to be the weirdly hostile posting.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

if the Astros lose then 'can't win without the cans' is going to ramp up to 11 again and I am already tired of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bees x1000 posted:

if the Astros lose then 'can't win without the cans' is going to ramp up to 11 again and I am already tired of it

it's good actually