Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo i got my 70-210 lens today and it rules so hard. ms jones said it was clear last night at like 11pm so i'm hoping it'll be clear again tonight but a little earlier (i was asleep by then) so i can take moonpics

it's an FD lens with a $50 adapter so everything is manual. feels like taking pictures on my folks' old pentax as a kid, except there's no analogue light meter (indeed there is no light meter at all with this lens attached, just gotta eyeball it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
idk what camera that is but if it’s a little older it’s almost certainly using an inferior AF system when you do a “live view” with the LCD vs the viewfinder. always be usin that viewfinder

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

scottch posted:

idk what camera that is but if it’s a little older it’s almost certainly using an inferior AF system when you do a “live view” with the LCD vs the viewfinder. always be usin that viewfinder

yep, good point. he's got a digital rebel t7, which means that's absolutely the case

the "live view" also uses up a fuckton more power than a mirrorless ilc would and as a result the sensor might get kinda hot. not that it'll probably get damaged, just something to consider also

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m just about to meet up with someone to do a shoot

I have my camera set to aperture priority

let’s see if this doesn’t gently caress up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

protip: check what the shutter speed is before taking pictures, it's probably right there in the viewfinder or on the screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it’s taken some photos at 1/160 which is a ballsy decision by the camera, it looks good on camera screen but will wait and see if there’s any shake

i’ll admit it was good to have the camera push the shutter speed up when it was bright, but I might have to set a min shutter speed if it’s let me down

(which I dont want to because it’s a menu dive feature and I resent having to menu dive on a shoot but it may be necessary)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

There are a few photography threads in td fyi. I really like the landscape photography one.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i wanted to get good pictures of an american coot that just keeps coming back to the lake near where i work, but it was nowhere to be found. so i had hauled my 300mm lens around with me for almost no reason, until the last quarter of the loop around the lake

i find myself a LITTLE disappointed at the noise performance for the ruby-crowned kinglet, but i also have never gotten anywhere near that good a look at one, and i am at least pleased with the detail in the shot.

i've been stuck in 'trying to get my place of employment to process the financial documents necessary to buy macsbooks for people that don't need them' hell at work for the last week along with trying to get a couple of av installations going, so, to be totally honest, just going outside was really nice and who cares about the camera's noise floor. :unsmith:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you want to see a coot so bad just hit the power switch on your monitor

cool bird tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did a photoshoot, probably the nicest pic I ever took.

had the idea to do for a while and very pleased how it came out. also put the camera into enhanced highlight protection mode or whatever and it did a good job because that was taken in mid day and it didn’t clip any highlights. also used aperture priority and might concede that it worked fine, especially with auto iso

the 135mm does some glorious fuckin work tho. at times I’m tempted by shorter lenses but once again I prove to myself that using anything else would just leave me wishing I didn’t

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

that is a great picture, there is no taking away from that. you did great work, in camera and in processing!

i feel the same way about my 77 i think as you do your 135... if i don't let it down, it takes the pictures i tend to see in my mind. someday, i look forward to seeing its work on 36x24.

also, i'm glad you had a good time with Av mode! i'm sure the rest of us will be, too.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nurrwick posted:

that is a great picture, there is no taking away from that. you did great work, in camera and in processing!

i feel the same way about my 77 i think as you do your 135... if i don't let it down, it takes the pictures i tend to see in my mind. someday, i look forward to seeing its work on 36x24.

also, i'm glad you had a good time with Av mode! i'm sure the rest of us will be, too.

thankyou. yeah I think photos with this lens look so good big on a screen and it’s 30mp so I should do it justice and print it big

defo at a place tho where I’m not interested in mucking around getting experience with randoms tho. have a much stronger idea of my vision and even having self respect lol. there was a time I’d take any shoot for the experience but now.. I am going to value myself.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you have noisy birdpics just hit ‘en with topaz ai

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i should probably be shooting birds with a tighter aperture and a noisier sensitivity but noise feels so much harder to get a feel for than regular old exposure, and it's nigh impossible to judge on the lil camera screen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah birds you pretty much wanna shoot wide open

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh also this is great and i love the lines the material wound up tracing on her face, the little arch on her cheek and the bit that follows her nose and brow. 17/10 a++

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Please don't shoot birds :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

oh also this is great and i love the lines the material wound up tracing on her face, the little arch on her cheek and the bit that follows her nose and brow. 17/10 a++

thanks man, yeah it all came together for that one

it’s just some sackcloth lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

took some photos in the local park. not quite what i was going for but they’re alright

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
nice! that last one is beautiful

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

idk how you could have any complaints about that last one :drat:

but I can see what you mean about the bridge pics, the shapes are great and i think the angles and composition are good, but for some reason the bridges just don't cooperate. there's probably an art word for this that I wish i knew because "thing standing out too much/not enough" is my main beef when i'm trying to make a photo work in post, but i don't know anything about the domain so i'm just trying to learn by tinkering with knobs and masks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was going for a b&w street style of someone going over the bridge but didn't see any interesting people and the light never came

i got some good shots of light, and good shots of the bridge, but they never came together

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cool bird pics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

cool bird pics

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

cool bird pics

hell yeah peanut party

the last frame is great, but i also really like the framing of everything in this shot, nice work :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
used a camera to record a cloud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYaLpw_k5NY

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i ended up getting a copy of the 31mm, which was a pretty good way to offset how lovely it is to be in an office with no decoration starting last week. as i believe the chant goes, bo keh bo keh bo keh

my lens is possibly a pos: i found haze in the rear element group somewhere on my 77. taking it apart for cleaning is a no go. i did an aperture degreasing on an old manual focus lens once and that went fine, but the screws are torqued far enough (or loctited) that trying to remove them even with the appropriate JIS driver makes me uncomfortable. what's weird is that there is a swirl mark in the haze, like an incomplete wipedown of condensate on a front element. it almost looks like the haze came down on poor factory polishing... which if that's the case, i bought the lens in 2007 and I guess it doesn't matter at all in practice as i've loved the output of it the whole time it's been in my bag. that means i should just leave it alone/:justpost: right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just post

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

yeah fair enough! im heading out to my dad's for the winter break next week and will take and use it, we'll see if i'm finding myself disappointed in any way. ive had it for just shy of 15 years and it's probably my most frequently used lens, so it'd be unsurprising if it got jacked up in that process. it definitely has a bunch of dust inside but that's been the case for a while.

tax: here's a random shot from august with the lens. probably a bit unsaturated based on the butterfly weed colors, and i missed focus on the bee, but whatever. j u s t p o s t

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the quality is fine imo, I can’t see any problems and that’s knowing there are some (as far as you say)

nice colours

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

i don’t know why but these two really say something to me. i should probably talk to someone about that.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
defo a vibe

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey we have a photos thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

^^^ very good

have some phone pictures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

uwwwaaa

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

^^^ very good

have some phone pictures

Boy I love that second one especially.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot