Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

tbh one of the things i just like about gn is that they didn't spend most their tech channel making sex jokes in just about every single video

The "thanks Steve" cuts though is a joke that will never get old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

I don’t have the links to his old tweets at hand but they’re in the thread somewhere if you want them. Plenty of people here will back me up, I’m sure.

Pretty sure it was some very ill-advised "I will defend myself" posturing on twitter rather than Kyle Rittenhouse grade proud boy poo poo, but ok.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Just to be clear, Jay's latest video on AMD's new cards is irredeemable speculative garbage, but that should be enough to dislike him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah even if you don't care about the threatening to shoot protesters if they come near his house thing, his videos are also dogshit and he's constantly wrong about everything.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
SERIOUSLY?? Jay said THIS??

mewse
May 2, 2006

Criss-cross posted:

I'm clicking on this and it's not taking me anywhere

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Criss-cross posted:

Strong algo game friend

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

oh word?

This is actually accurate and not clickbaity though :confused:

Just because a thumbnail is entertaining doesn't make it clickbait.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the only acceptable thumbnail is the video title in black times new roman on a white background, otherwise it's clickbait and cringe

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

You'd have to go back far into the thread but yeah, it was basically him panicking about BLM breaking into his house and how he's armed and ready.
since i'm not american, perhaps i can shed light on how it's absolutely a loving bonkers take to arm yourself with a weapon that trivializes mowing down an entire crowd of people, as a response to protests against systemic issues of discrimination and racially motivated violence

no matter if he's an actual racist or just dumb, it's basically the worst reaction since it's impossible to distinguish between him being racist or him being dumb

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He invoked his willingness to kill to defend his home and that he had been prepared. He lives in a (possibly gated) white picket suburb.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

well why not posted:

He invoked his willingness to kill to defend his home and that he had been prepared. He lives in a (possibly gated) white picket suburb.

Everything about Jay makes perfect sense when I pieced together he's a navy brat Gen X'er/very elder millenial who lives in Orange County.

e. Not only his views that are sort of at the side of his professional work but even the way he organizes videos, the sort of humor he pulls, his other hobbies (car guy who loves classic pony cars).

There's a big audience that identifies with everything he puts out there and he knows his lane.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's stupid to compare Jay to GN. GN is primarily an informative technical channel. Jay is pure entertainment and hot takes that are usually bad and wrong.

More people go to YT for entertainment than serious content so more people look for what Jay makes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

since i'm not american, perhaps i can shed light on how it's absolutely a loving bonkers take to arm yourself with a weapon that trivializes mowing down an entire crowd of people, as a response to protests against systemic issues of discrimination and racially motivated violence

no matter if he's an actual racist or just dumb, it's basically the worst reaction since it's impossible to distinguish between him being racist or him being dumb

He's dumb. He could have easily just quietly had his murderous prosthetic dick ready to do some killing should someone come on his property. It wasn't enough. He had to announce his willingness to do some murder,publicly, to the world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More Youtubers should remind people every so often of the giant dildo bat THQ sent out to promote Saints Row 3.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of guns, the 8-bit Guy is talking about having an open house to repair VIC-20s at his house/studio. People are like "preserve your privacy don't allow stalkers or weirdos to come to your house" and I'm thinking "the weirdo is already in the house and no one wants to stalk that pasty middle-aged rear end"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is he actually talking about his house? I just assume all Youtubers of a certain size are working out of a studio or storage unit at this point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The studio is in his back yard iirc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The studio is in his back yard iirc

Yeah, he was discussing numbers of people he could host between his backyard studio and the actual house. Obviously he shouldn't do it, but it's still fun to poke at the man so scared he carried a rifle to Subway.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
but also lmao at anyone who takes a vic20 to him so he can attack it with a dremel

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Surprised he doesn't open carry when he walks onto his driveway :lol:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's dumb. He could have easily just quietly had his murderous prosthetic dick ready to do some killing should someone come on his property. It wasn't enough. He had to announce his willingness to do some murder,publicly, to the world.

it was also a suburban neighborhood BLM march that I'm absolutely sure had zero rioters, antifas, or anyone else that needed defending against

that's why it was so insane

heck, in Jay's neighborhood it probably didn't even have that many black people

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Remember that LTT video where they were pushing Nvidia's "8K gaming" talking point last gen? Now that they're no longer getting paid by Nvidia to talk about it they put out a new video debunking it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5jEK-72JQ

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Scraping the barrel to pull content out of something already intensely dumb.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
welp turns out nobody gives a poo poo other than those taking in the marketing $$$

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So he's practically admitting to be a PR shill and it still goes over smoothly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO92PSvqms

kinda goofy but whatever, mac address is the only thing from linus media group i can genuinely enjoy (unless the redhead host is some sort of monster)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buglord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO92PSvqms

kinda goofy but whatever, mac address is the only thing from linus media group i can genuinely enjoy (unless the redhead host is some sort of monster)

he's a canadian we're all monsters

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Linus has developed the rich person's problem where his moral compass points in the direction that makes him money. You can see people becoming frustrated trying to tell him he did something lovely while he defends himself that it couldn't have been because he profited from it. I stopped watching all of LMG channels a couple years ago when it became the "unbox things and install expensive stuff at Linus's house" show. Recently saw clips of him again and I think he's gotten even worse in his views and opinions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a point to be made about nvidia pulling our leg with hyping 8k gaming with the 3090 and then largely forgetting about it for the 4090, but that's like... one sentence to explain.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Nvidia marketing isn't particularly good

A colleague noted the launch marketing for the 4090s focused a lot on DLSS3 giving the impression that raster performance was weak. they should have just focused on raster and RT improvements leading to 2x performance over the 3090

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think the premise of the video is good. We should instill in consumers the idea that 8K is stupid and utterly pointless and they shouldn't want it, or else a game company might do something dumb and try to sell an "8K" console.

It's just a very funny video considering Linus' history of unabashedly shilling 8K as some revolutionary, transformative experience.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Everything about Jay makes perfect sense when I pieced together he's a navy brat Gen X'er/very elder millenial who lives in Orange County.

e. Not only his views that are sort of at the side of his professional work but even the way he organizes videos, the sort of humor he pulls, his other hobbies (car guy who loves classic pony cars).

There's a big audience that identifies with everything he puts out there and he knows his lane.

Yeah it's not a mystery why Jay is popular. There's a double whammy of striking it lucky by virtue of being an American Gen-Xer and THEN winning the youtube algorithm lottery enough to build up a channel, so there's a double dose of ''I know best" dumb baby energy. But people want someone they can agree with who is also more successful than them, so it's no surprise why the big idiot slab of computer nerd beef has a legion of fans.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve tests the 4090 cable alone in the office because everyone else is taking time off. Interesting that the adapters they have is different from the one Igor tested and behaved entirely differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIKjZ1djp8c

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

okay, now that's a clickbait thumbnail from GN lmao.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nvidia power cable sucked me off?!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

(This is a "reverse" AI art bot where you give it an image and it generates a prompt that would cause other bots to give you something close to the original image.)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

LTT put out a pretty good video debunking some audiophile garbage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFQ3YvR3Eo

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Mr.Radar posted:

It's a good video but I was expecting them to dremel out the epoxy and determine what caps they used but they just didn't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr.Radar posted:

He should debunk some of his older videos then, including the one about the headphones in the very first B-roll of the video quoted.