Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Illusionis was on my short list so, ##vote Illusionis

2 days, 2 RWC votes a hair's breath away from deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Should've stuck with Maerlyn after all I'm thinking

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Illusionis (4): Voodoofly, Maerlyn, Rhymes With Clue, saladscooper
saladscooper (4): Maerlyn, Voodoofly, Cloacamazing!, Green Wing, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Maerlyn, Bifauxnen, Opopanax, Voodoofly
Green Wing (1): saladscooper, Illusionis, saladscooper
Maerlyn (0): Bifauxnen, Illusionis, Bifauxnen, Illusionis
Rhymes With Clue (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Cloacamazing! (0): Rhymes With Clue, Rhymes With Clue

Not Voting (2): CapitalistPig, Hyper Crab Tank

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 03rd, 2022 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 4 minutes.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Or RWC perhaps, yeah.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If my cool mason bud flips town I'm gonna be super mad at you jerks who wanted to save Salad but totally ignored him saying to lunch GW over illu

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
if anyone else is going to vote illu speak now or forever hold your democracy

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Bifauxnen posted:

Should've stuck with Maerlyn after all I'm thinking

Tell me why I'm scum the next day (if I'm alive). We can swap opinions!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Swapping back in a minute if this stays tied

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Or we'll discuss it privately, I have a mason spice still, lol

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

##vote salad

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Voodoofly posted:

##vote salad

don't gently caress this up town ##vote salad

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I lost my loving post :cry:

##vote salad

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: saladscooper...couldn't you have made better posts?

Votecount for Day 2
With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 03rd, 2022 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Maerlyn posted:

I lost my loving post :cry:

##vote salad

What...is...that...?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

saladscooper (7): Maerlyn, Voodoofly, Cloacamazing!, Green Wing, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Maerlyn, Bifauxnen, Opopanax, Voodoofly, Voodoofly, saladscooper, Maerlyn
Illusionis (1): Voodoofly, Maerlyn, Rhymes With Clue, saladscooper, Voodoofly, saladscooper, Maerlyn
Green Wing (1): saladscooper, Illusionis, saladscooper
Maerlyn (0): Bifauxnen, Illusionis, Bifauxnen, Illusionis
Rhymes With Clue (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Cloacamazing! (0): Rhymes With Clue, Rhymes With Clue

Not Voting (2): CapitalistPig, Hyper Crab Tank

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. The current deadline is November 03rd, 2022 at 10 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

saladscooper TOWN-aligned Never-Fail Chicken has been executed Day 2.

Never-Fail Chicken

This recipe is about as healthy as a heart attack, but about three times as tasty. It's greasy, crackly, salty comfort food for a cold winter's night. (Or a cold autumn's night, as the case may be.) It's an old family recipe, a phrase which here means "my dad makes it sometimes."

Never-Fail Chicken
Enough bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs to have leftovers
Canola oil, enough to cover the bottom of a stainless steel skillet, preferably one with a lid
2 cups rice
Frozen peas, or fresh peas, it really doesn't matter which
Seasoning to taste (salt and pepper at the very least, I also like paprika, garlic powder, and a little bit of lemon juice)

1) Begin cooking rice in the ordinary way you do. I am fortunate enough to have a rice cooker which makes this job easy.
2) About 15 minutes before the rice is done, place oil over medium-high heat (or high depending on your stove) in skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3) Place chicken skin-side down in skillet. Cook chicken until skin is brown and crispy, then flip chicken over. Add desired herbs/spices on chicken at this stage, then: cover pan with lid, turn heat to medium-low, and cook chicken to your liking.
4) Remove chicken onto serving platter. Dump rice into skillet and heat, seasoning to taste, in chicken fat and drippings.
5) Cook peas at some point??? idk
6) Serve hot.

Night is 24 hours, please get actions in promptly.

Night stays open for cooking and cooking related talk.

saladscooper's Never-Fail Chicken is worth 25 points.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Rhymes With Clue posted:

What...is...that...?

Looks like toad in the hole, yum

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Oh toad in the hole of course.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Oh toad in the hole of course.

Buttered slice of bread with a hole in it, that you crack an egg into and cook and toast the bread at the same time.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Rhymes With Clue posted:

What...is...that...?

Egg in a Basket! (I didn't know it had different regional names).

New cooking post coming.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

When saladscooper said "don't worry it's not health food" I was just on the verge of asking "Is it...peas?" and now I wish I had.
(That was one of my favorite Ellen Degeneres jokes)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I was preparing my post in the vote kerfuffle and then copied over it, hence the random image and vote.

Grandi told me to post it properly so lets try this again:

What you need:
Bread (we usually use english muffin bread, I was in a hurry so just used sandwich bread), an egg per slice of bread, butter, a pan and something to cut a hole with - we use a biscuit cutter.

Cut hole (apparently you do this before buttering? I've never made this before, you'll soon see that):

Skip this step if you're feeling brave - crack the egg in a small dish to ensure the yolk hasn't broken

Butter bread:

I thought I'd experiment and only butter one side, instead melting a large pat of butter and placing the unbuttered side face down in the pan then adding egg:

Pray to whatever deity you believe in that you can flip this fucker without breaking the yolk.........success!

Flip it around a few more times, it should be more toasty and this is feeling soft...didn't use a good "toasting" pan. Also yolk should still be runny so you can dip the toasted bread in the yolk...

DAMMIT! It's more of an over medium, and the bread is more reminiscent of grilled cheese. Still tasty. Also sorry for the night mode pics, I was eating this in a dark kitchen while SIL was trying to get the baby to sleep.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

So the rest of the story. I did say there was blood.

My first action in making eggs Benedict was to cut the dickens out of my finger!

Old SNL reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxv6IGBgFQ

While slicing an English muffin. I had to throw that one out.

Now we've got the blood out of the way, the secret of my eggs B and the only reason I can even do it is my recipe (actually my mother's) for 3-2-1 Hollandaise, Hollandaise in the microwave in 3 minutes! You need 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon is how it usually works out) and 1 stick of butter (1/4 pound).

Oh wait, it actually takes 33 minutes, because first, you take the eggs out of the fridge and separate them, and you take the butter out of the fridge and set it on the counter, then go back to bed for 30 minute while things warm up to room temperature. And slice the butter up into approximately tablespoon-sized slices.

Then you get up and beat the eggs with the lemon juice, and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Take it out, whisk it.

Then you plop in some butter, about a third of it. Pop it back in the microwave.

Take it out, whisk in the now melted butter. Then do that again, with another third (approximately) of the butter. Then one last time.

At this point you've got Hollandaise. I added a bit of cayenne.

This recipe has never failed me yet.

The downside is between these 30-second bursts I'm also poaching eggs and toasting English muffins, but it's okay, I set a 5-minute timer for the muffins/Canadian bacon/smoked salmon so I didn't burn them.

Meat on toast, egg on meat

Pour on that creamy instant Hollandaise and top

The black dots are pepper, I don't have white pepper. And the result cut into has already been posted. That egg might have been a bit overdone but was still runny enough to provide some contrast with the Hollandaise.

I can't believe I took all these pictures, because I had plastic glove on the finger with the bandaid adn I had to keep taking it off otherwise my phone camera wouldn't work!

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

Maerlyn posted:

DAMMIT! It's more of an over medium, and the bread is more reminiscent of grilled cheese. Still tasty. Also sorry for the night mode pics, I was eating this in a dark kitchen while SIL was trying to get the baby to sleep.

Ah, that looks pretty good actually. But it looks like a bit more trouble than simple egg on toast, which is a common breakfast for me, or used to be. But more elegant. (But not too elegant.)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Rhymes With Clue posted:

Ah, that looks pretty good actually. But it looks like a bit more trouble than simple egg on toast, which is a common breakfast for me, or used to be. But more elegant. (But not too elegant.)

If I hadn't had someone looking over my shoulder telling me what I should be doing I would have just ripped a circle in the middle, slapped some melted butter on it and cracked the egg in, then flipped and buttered that side. I am definitely a lazy cook (sometimes the longer process can be fun but if I see a shortcut I will take it).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh god I have so many groceries, this weekend is going to be insane

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You went and got it in my head

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I can't see myself turning never-fail chicken into something vegetarian so no points from that for me, but I think I have a way of having a crack at chicken parm, finally!

I thought these egg things were called 'eggs in a nest'.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Opopanax posted:

Looks like toad in the hole, yum

Pretty sure toad in the hole is sausages in yorkshire pudding innit.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Opopanax posted:

You went and got it in my head

That looks great, I also failed to add any seasoning to mine

I think a trip to the store is in order today, got a lot of stuff to cook. Am I the only one who is making ANs actual recipe?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Pretty sure toad in the hole is sausages in yorkshire pudding innit.

Correct! Sometimes made into simple "a sausage cooked in pastry" by southern fools and pub chains.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Green Wing posted:

I can't see myself turning never-fail chicken into something vegetarian so no points from that for me, but I think I have a way of having a crack at chicken parm, finally!

I thought these egg things were called 'eggs in a nest'.

Are you vegetarian? I'd like to see an attempt at fried "chicken" although I guess that's covered by the chicken parm

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Maerlyn posted:

Are you vegetarian? I'd like to see an attempt at fried "chicken" although I guess that's covered by the chicken parm

Yeah. I do try to eat vegan but recently I'm lapsed back into vegetarianism, the coward's option.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Green Wing posted:

Yeah. I do try to eat vegan but recently I'm lapsed back into vegetarianism, the coward's option.

as evidenced by my merry consumption of eggs in this very thread!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I, too, made chickpeas in spinach. I forgot to take a picture of all the ingredients lined up, but:

Bread and garlic in a pan, spinach on the right. I'm sorry, every Spanish grandmother, it's frozen spinach.

Forgot to comment on both this and Illu's posts but those are some good looking spinach! It's quite fun and a bit heartwarming to see a common, beloved local recipe cooked in Cookfia, lol.

Also, frozen spinach are very very commonly used here too, they are really convenient. So no grandma would bat an eye, really, lol

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I know I made fun of my husband with the chicken last time, so it's only fair to say that since I was stuck at work until late today, he made these delicious Chickpeas in Spinach from a German summary of Shell's English recipe that was translated from Spanish. I'm glad to report that it did not suffer much in translation. He also faithfully documented his cooking so that I could get internet points. He's the best.

Here's the spinach.

And the delicious garlic bread.

He would like to point out that this is not a paste, it's clearly crumbs. Me translating it as puree did not help matters.

Now everything's cooked.

And more delicious garlic bread is fried.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Green Wing posted:

eggplant or zucchini? goes well fried with some added spices, though the recipes I am familiar with do egg+bread it first. And hey, honey or molasses or a honey/mustard sauce goes well with both fried chicken and zucchini :V

I want to take a crack at chicken but I don't see myself cooking too much this weekend, so we shall see. Family has expressed a desire to rest from chickpea cooking, tho, we've had a lot of them somehow as of late. OTOH, got the hominy, so may try the soup with it too! It's turning into something resembling pozole over several days, lol

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I think I am caught back up with spice purchases and blends, if you think I haven't resolved something in that realm, let me know!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This was dinner tonight.

Sous vide beef roast sliced with mashed potatoes and a cucumber quick pickle.

The beef was from Costco, you can buy like an already cooked sous vide steak.

I took a big skillet and sauteed mushrooms, 3 types of onions (scallions, white onion flakes, and fresh diced red onion seasoned with salt , pepper, garlic (minced and jarred), ground mustard, red chili flakes, truffle oil, and smoked paprika. deglazed the pan with a splash of red wine and then set it aside.

Cooked the potatoes by peeling them and then dicing it into cubes and boiling it in salted water. After it was cooked I drained it (just leaving like a tablespoon of the starchy liquid), and added salt, pepper, butter, and heavy cream and mashed it up real good.

In the skillet from earlier I heated up the pan till it was really hot and emptied the pack of steak into the pan and cooked it in there just enough to get it hot but not make it all tough and well done. Quickly removed it and arranged it on our plates,

Then I plated the mash.

Then, quickly made the gravy, with the leftover drippings in the skillet I added butter and let it brown a little and then added about a half a cup of red wine and let it cook down, then I added about 1/4 cup of cornstarch slurry (made with beef broth not water) and let it thicken, added back the mushroom mixture we set aside earlier and let it thicken a bit more and then took it away from the heat tasted it, adjusted seasoning, and served it over the potatoes and meat.

The cucumbers were peeled and then sliced into matchsticks last night and put in a jar with rice wine vinegar salt and sugar.

Not a points recipe but thought I'd share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

Not Voting (10): Bifauxnen, CapitalistPig, Cloacamazing!, Green Wing, Hyper Crab Tank, Illusionis, Maerlyn, Opopanax, Rhymes With Clue, Voodoofly

With 10 alive, it's 6 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.