Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

gooby pls posted:

Short circuit is non lethal and as you level up can drop people in one shot. Was pretty much a quick hack “stealth archer” for most of the game.

Dropping a contagion on an unsuspecting group and watching it spread and ping pong back and forth until a whole area has been dropped is my love language.

Yeah the peak of hacker builds for me was walking directly from the entrance to the objective while everyone just passed out around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tirranek posted:

Yeah the peak of hacker builds for me was walking directly from the entrance to the objective while everyone just passed out around you.

My favorite was a gig for the Padre which was to take out a guy so I just stood outside, hacked into a security camera and hit him with Suicide.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

My favorite was a gig for the Padre which was to take out a guy so I just stood outside, hacked into a security camera and hit him with Suicide.

Yeah same, it's real :stonklol: stuff. That's my usual go-to for all the Jotaro-related people, too.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

My favorite super hacker cyberdeck is the Tetratronic Rippler MK. 4.

quote:

"Ultimate quickhacks can spread once. Cost of ultimate quickhacks is reduced by 3. Upload time is reduced by 75%. All quickhacks have cooldown reduced by 45%."

This on top of a whole bunch of perks/cyberware and passive bonuses on epic quickhacks mean that nearly every quickhack restores a truckload of RAM, reduces the cost of my next quickhack, and shortens remaining cooldowns. I can just chain-fire Cyberpsychosis, Detonate Grenade, System Reset, Suicide, and maybe a Synapse Burnout everyone once in a while, and never have to wait for cooldowns or RAM recovery.

edit: More specifically, Legendary Synapse Burnout's passive effect is "Passive while equipped: defeating an enemy with any quickhack causes nearby enemies to panic.". Passive effect from Legendary Suicide is "Passive while equipped: Causing an enemy to panic reduces the RAM cost of your next Ultimate quickhack by 2".

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 5, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Sadly, there's no specific instant takedown attacks besides just grabbing people, which for the most part isn't affected by stats/gear at all. There are ways to take down enemies quietly, with silenced weapons or certain quickhacks, and even a perk that boosts melee stealth damage, but for melee weapons at least, there's no indicator of whether that'll actually kill them, and if you're that close, you might as well just do an grab takedown.

I don't mind having to one-hit them with massive damage for it to work, I just want to stay stealthed as I do so I can also nibble my way through the group. (I want to take a Kerez... or Sandi... sort of, but Distract Enemies is so helpful that even without doing a netrunner build it's very handy to have a cyberdeck equipped.)

It seems like stealth-revolver might be more effective than stealth-melee, since you can't headshot with a katana? Hmm, revolvers are like melee guns, right? You have to get real close to get good damage out of it...and there's a Comrade's Hammer out there, which is like a melee hammer sort of.

I think I'll see how far thrown knives will take me.

gooby pls posted:

Short circuit is non lethal and as you level up can drop people in one shot. Was pretty much a quick hack “stealth archer” for most of the game.

Dropping a contagion on an unsuspecting group and watching it spread and ping pong back and forth until a whole area has been dropped is my love language.

Oh man, on my last run I would barely leave my car in order to liquify some NCPD scanner job on my way to a quest location. And Short Circuit was one-shotting everything in Arasaka Tower other than Adam Smasher who I just fed shotgun shells periodically.

edit: More specifically, Legendary Synapse Burnout's passive effect is "Passive while equipped: defeating an enemy with any quickhack causes nearby enemies to panic.".

I never used Synapse Burnout, but I kept it equipped forever after I got it!

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Bonk

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Stealth silenced revolver is absolutely OP, you can just pop your way through everyone. But melee can pull off some decent stealth, even if a guy technically spots you, you can incapacitate him so fast that nobody is alerted. You can thread the needle with it just being patient and smart with your targets, or you can make it ridiculously easy by using sandevistan/kereznikov slowdown shenanigans

The cool perks for detection time are especially great, you'll need reflex if you do pistols or slowdown cyberware, and if you want to do blunt weapons you will need some strength. It's tough deciding what you want to do the first playthrough :(

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Stealth melee is kinda viable, especially with the blades perk that doubles damage against enemies at full health. The problem is you're never given the numbers to know whether your attack will actually do the trick until you try it. Anyway, the endgame of stealth melee is to pop an Arasaka mod into a high-level sandy and just go nuts. I can just sprint into a crowd of enemies, dismember half of them, and leave the rest alive, all without getting spotted.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Does the effect stack with the perk that allows quickhacks to spread further?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Philippe posted:

It's made it impossible for me to assassinate a single target without someone on the next floor getting hit, so probably. It does not, however, stack with the Legendary Contagion passive, that lets spreading quickhacks hit more targets. Though the fast upload speed buff makes Contagion much funnier to watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to wonder if River walks the way he does because his animation skeleton is rigged to the game's fat guy walk cycle. He's incapable of lowering his arms further than 80 degrees.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Tirranek posted:

This on top of a whole bunch of perks/cyberware and passive bonuses on epic quickhacks mean that nearly every quickhack restores a truckload of RAM, reduces the cost of my next quickhack, and shortens remaining cooldowns. I can just chain-fire Cyberpsychosis, Detonate Grenade, System Reset, Suicide, and maybe a Synapse Burnout everyone once in a while, and never have to wait for cooldowns or RAM recovery.

edit: More specifically, Legendary Synapse Burnout's passive effect is "Passive while equipped: defeating an enemy with any quickhack causes nearby enemies to panic.". Passive effect from Legendary Suicide is "Passive while equipped: Causing an enemy to panic reduces the RAM cost of your next Ultimate quickhack by 2".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VozHU2KaVSY

:unsmigghh:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
What's the preferred/recommended way to intstall mods? Doesn't look as straightforward as 'drop files in mod folder and let MO2 handle it'.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Philippe posted:

I've been using the NetWatch Netdriver Mk.5, and as far as I can tell it does with that one. Short circuit will take out clusters of enemies now and contagion will wipe an entire floor indoors.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

nexus6 posted:

What's the preferred/recommended way to intstall mods? Doesn't look as straightforward as 'drop files in mod folder and let MO2 handle it'.

Just drop the folders into your game folder. Installation and uninstallation seems pretty headache-free, compared to your Bethesda games and such.

infernal machines posted:

I've been using the NetWatch Netdriver Mk.5, and as far as I can tell it does with that one. Short circuit will take out clusters of enemies now and contagion will wipe an entire floor indoors.

Holy poo poo, that sounds mega-broken (netrunning is broken as it is, but come on). I love it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

infernal machines posted:

:hmmyes:

I enjoyed the Rippler but not being able to single-target ultimates was a problem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

vaguely reminds me of my run with high-end tech weapons where I just killed everything through walls before it could engage me. very effective, but, doesn't seem fun?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It isn't, like my first playthrough revolver "build" which one-shot melons from level 4 to the end game wasn't fun either.

shooting fish in a barrel has nothing on night city

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that’s why I want to do low-Body stealth melee so I have to solve the line-of-sight puzzles.

Is there any non-cyberdeck way to distract enemies or get them to move around? Maybe there’s a mod?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shoot a silenced bullet/throw a knife into a wall.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
This might be useful for folks (like me) new to the game

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that’s why I want to do low-Body stealth melee so I have to solve the line-of-sight puzzles.

Is there any non-cyberdeck way to distract enemies or get them to move around? Maybe there’s a mod?

I've been using throwing knives or silenced pistols to get people to move in my very dumb very loud gorilla arms shotgun man build. There are just some gigs that I just have to finish in stealth even if there is no consequences for it there is one Padre thievery gig in a velentino bar where one of the guards is Jackie's friend and he buys you drinks. I could not get myself to kill anyone or be stealing form them.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

nexus6 posted:

This might be useful for folks (like me) new to the game

If you're thinking about any comabt-related gameplay mods at some point, the one that I've found the least intrusive has been Damage Floor. Basically it makes it so that the minumum damage you inflict will always have a notable effect, so while higher level enemies are still suitably dangerous, you're not gated by levels nearly as much.

If you use it and make any tweaks to the settings, though, I recommend turning off the 'Edgrunner Drone' setting. It makes them much tougher and breaks some sections of the game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got a new graphics card and figured I’d give this another go. Got a few hundred hours into it at launch. Got to say the game feels much more polished and the wardrobe feature is awesome. Also looks incredible with max settings.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Subjunctive posted:

You can manually activate "distract" on floodlights and the like by walking up to them I believe.

forest spirit posted:

It isn't, like my first playthrough revolver "build" which one-shot melons from level 4 to the end game wasn't fun either.

shooting fish in a barrel has nothing on night city

Honestly any build becomes drat near invincible by mid to end game, even "What's 'stealth' mean? YOLO, charge!!" (which honestly was far more broken than my netrunner build this playthrough has been, at least on the current one I tend to apply some observation and planning instead of walking in and punching the whole place unconscious).

ughhhh posted:

I've been using throwing knives or silenced pistols to get people to move in my very dumb very loud gorilla arms shotgun man build. There are just some gigs that I just have to finish in stealth even if there is no consequences for it there is one Padre thievery gig in a velentino bar where one of the guards is Jackie's friend and he buys you drinks. I could not get myself to kill anyone or be stealing form them.

Think for that gig, when I do it the guy in the office always winds up taking a nap in the nearby closet, just do not want to take a chance with him turning his head at the worst time. Then again I've noted I have a definite tendency in stealth games to always choke out/nonlethally subdue everyone on general principle when possible. Some men just want to watch the world burn snore.

One thing I wonder for those of you doing multiple playthroughs; do you find there are some options you just never vary when doing quests? Like I don't think I'm ever not going to send Jackie to his mother now that I know it leads to the offrenda quest, and when I do that quest I always make it a point to invite Misty and insist Jackie's mother respect her. Ideally on multiple runs I try to see different things, but there's a bunch of options in this game where I'm just like "I can't play a V that does that."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MadDogMike posted:

One thing I wonder for those of you doing multiple playthroughs; do you find there are some options you just never vary when doing quests? Like I don't think I'm ever not going to send Jackie to his mother now that I know it leads to the offrenda quest, and when I do that quest I always make it a point to invite Misty and insist Jackie's mother respect her. Ideally on multiple runs I try to see different things, but there's a bunch of options in this game where I'm just like "I can't play a V that does that."

gently caress the Voodoo Boys, and gently caress Nash. Always.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Philippe posted:

gently caress the Voodoo Boys, and gently caress Nash. Always.

It's not even anything personal against Nash. You're just getting in good with a useful contractor, having a big loud fun firefight, and getting a cool gun. No downside!

It doesn't even impact your subsequent deal with 6th Street, because you and Panam murder them all so fast.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I don't even get why Rogue sends you a catty text about it tbh

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tenkaris posted:

Nash was still a merc working for Rogue. I'm guessing having mercs off each other while working for the same fixer isn't a great look, no matter the circumstances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

It is a bit unprofessional to delay a business deal so you can engage in a bit of gratuitous murder. It's just that both of you are too talented for it to matter.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Rogue also knew Nash was raffen, gently caress her

She's lucky they only jacked Panam tbh

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Photo dump.

My V really changes depending on the lighting.

This is one of my favourite generic NPCs:

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 5, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly any build becomes drat near invincible by mid to end game, even "What's 'stealth' mean? YOLO, charge!!" (which honestly was far more broken than my netrunner build this playthrough has been, at least on the current one I tend to apply some observation and planning instead of walking in and punching the whole place unconscious).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUqf_uUuHL0

V is from the beginning incredibly nimble, they spend the game as a cyber-wasp that can zip around the environment during a friday night firefight hitting crits. In slow-mo.

So with the AI expansion, CDPR will likely have made it so something can keep up. Likely psychos and maxtac. Beyond that it would be nice if there were more emphasis on items affecting movement like guts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also looks incredible with max settings.

It really does. It’s also amazing to me how well it runs on the Steam Deck. They did a lot of great work on this game post-release. I hope the team is even more proud of what it’s become than they were disappointed with the initial state of the game.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I've been deliberately walking around Night city this run instead of riding a car or using the fast travel and it amazing how different each neighborhood feels. It's sparse gameplay wise but you can tell there was direction towards making Haywood feel like a separate thing from Japan town etc. Lots of small alleyways and streets that players would never come across. It was a crime that CDPR didn't add a taxi system or a metro that players could use. The metro system mod is good but if only it was fully fleshed out...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ughhhh posted:

I've been deliberately walking around Night city this run instead of riding a car or using the fast travel

Please tell me you mean “sprinting around”. What’s your Athletics skill at by this point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Subjunctive posted:

Please tell me you mean “sprinting around”. What’s your Athletics skill at by this point?

After 90 hours on my current playthrough my Athletics skill is... 9.

Anyone who can get it up to 20 without cheering reloads has to be a little crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc getting the (essential) no stamina drain from running perk, stops all sprint athletics gain because that’s based on how much stamina you lose.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Iirc getting the (essential) no stamina drain from running perk, stops all sprint athletics gain because that’s based on how much stamina you lose.

If I recall that perk is also rendered unnecessary if you have the double-jump perk because if you time it right (which isn't hard) your stamina recovers after the first jump as you're in freefall and that's sufficient to avoid the fatigue if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I just thought of the simplest way to give enemy hackers something to do: have them scrub your pings.