Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm going to start BotW on the Switch soon. I never played the DLC on the WiiU because I had moved on when it came out. Does it include stuff that I would want to have access to early on or is it all intended/available for later game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The bike is pretty cool but aren't you only able to do the dlc after all four divine beasts?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shiroc posted:

I'm going to start BotW on the Switch soon. I never played the DLC on the WiiU because I had moved on when it came out. Does it include stuff that I would want to have access to early on or is it all intended/available for later game?

There's some fun armor and horse stuff that are fun to play around with through the game, especially being able to freely call your horse from anywhere if you use the horses a lot. The best thing you can get (the bike) is unfortunately locked behind the Ballad of the Champions quest line though, which you can only start after beating all four main game dungeons.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Got it, so it is worth to buy when I start if I'm expecting to play it all but the real bulk won't come into play until later on.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There's optional gear you can get from the DLC, a lot of it is stuff from past Zeldas like Majora's Mask or Link's pajamas from Wind Waker. The 1st DLC is available right after you get the Master Sword and the 2nd DLC is available after all 4 Divine Beasts are completed. I personally think the reward for doing the Master Trials is much more worth it than the bike (the DLC horse armor basically invalidates it) but it's still really good content

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 20, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The heros journey map thing is the best dlc in the game. I think it's just on by default? I can't remember.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

External Organs posted:

The heros journey map thing is the best dlc in the game. I think it's just on by default? I can't remember.

Oh, that was added later? I'd forgotten, it's super useful and I can't imagine playing without it now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, that was added later? I'd forgotten, it's super useful and I can't imagine playing without it now.

I double checked and it was added with the master trials DLC

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol I totally forgot that Hero’s Journey was part of the DLC, that alone is worth getting the DLC from the start imo

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Anyone played Tunic and if so does it scratch the Zelda itch?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Murdstone posted:

It does, but go into it blind and remember to read the hell out of the manual pages you collect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Murdstone posted:

It scratches the Zelda itch for sure. Also, keep in mind that the game does offer an option to turn on invincibility if you get tired of the deliberate combat but still enjoy the rest of the game.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Murdstone posted:

It's good but it sort of fell flat for me at the very end because I expected an epic boss ending (probably from playing Death's Door right before). It's very much about the journey and exploration.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it's good to have the DLC installed early.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
The best thing about the DLC is the horse armor. The worst thing about the DLC is also the horse armor.

(trying to use a horse when you can't summon it after climbing a mountain in this, the mountain climbing game, is painful. However, it is ugly as sin.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Personally I think the most useful DLC item is the custom teleport marker. It's super nice to be able to set it e.g. right before you jump off a cliff or have to quickly visit a town to buy or cook something.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Zat posted:

Personally I think the most useful DLC item is the custom teleport marker. It's super nice to be able to set it e.g. right before you jump off a cliff or have to quickly visit a town to buy or cook something.

Yeah, this thing is invaluable.
Hero's Journey alone is worth it, but the travel medallion is such an improvement.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zat posted:

I didn't use it that much but it was great for the blood moon quest

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hero's journey easily gave me another 50+ hours of gameplay. Giving some direction to my mindless Korok hunting and chill exploration, reminding me of the nooks and crannies I'd skipped, was invaluable.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

On my infinite quality of life wishlist I'd like to have a second hero's path that can be reset like an odometer, because oh boy does my map get busy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I believe it does only track back so far in playtime, but I seem to recall the limit being absurdly high

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It also tracks your progress even if you don't have the DLC yet. I remember when the DLC came out, I got it and it already had my entire path up until that point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I believe it does only track back so far in playtime, but I seem to recall the limit being absurdly high

Yeah iirc it’s 200 hours

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty sure my 100%ed original save file only just started omitting my trip out of the shrine of resurrection by the time I moved on to a new one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the funniest part of hero's path is that it starts out as one long continuous line, and then once you've unlocked a fair amount of the map it just constantly flashes between warp points

also if you learn how to windbomb/boomie-zoomie, you go too fast and the line gets a little bit confused and skips a bit, which i enjoy

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My Hero's Path is just a solid block over the Tabantha Tundra 'cuz hunting in that area is a part of the game that will never, ever get old for me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Maroon Hawk posted:

My Hero's Path is just a solid block over the Tabantha Tundra 'cuz hunting in that area is a part of the game that will never, ever get old for me

it’s definitely one of my favorite areas in the game

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I always get bored or run out of animals too quickly. Think you could share your procedure?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Winifred Madgers posted:

I have to say though, I'm pretty impressed with him. I did do the rune trials so he could get off the plateau, and I got him to a few of the towers, but other than that he mostly plays on his own. Lately 90% of his time is just hanging around Hateno Village, but he is completely fluent with the controls and the menu despite not knowing how to read yet.

This is something I noticed with one of my client's kids (home mental health worker). Five years old, can't read, completely fluent in Fortnite menus. Wish I could telepathically tell some forty-year old men that just got killed in Fortnite by a five-year old girl.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

This is something I noticed with one of my client's kids (home mental health worker). Five years old, can't read, completely fluent in Fortnite menus. Wish I could telepathically tell some forty-year old men that just got killed in Fortnite by a five-year old girl.

I was playing super mario bros U tonight with a friend's 10 year old and that kid had boss timings down for mercing them as soon as they were vulnerable. felt like i was watching a fukken speed runner. he even said "i'm like speed running!" at one point.

good kid!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I made the mistake of selling some items for him, at his request, so he could buy the soldier's armor. One time was all it took. Now whenever he gets anything, he sells it, and when he has nothing but money he buys things in order to sell them at a loss until he ends up penniless, weaponless, running around without a stitch of clothing on. Whatever rolls your boat, kid.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Winifred Madgers posted:

I made the mistake of selling some items for him, at his request, so he could buy the soldier's armor. One time was all it took. Now whenever he gets anything, he sells it, and when he has nothing but money he buys things in order to sell them at a loss until he ends up penniless, weaponless, running around without a stitch of clothing on. Whatever rolls your boat, kid.

lmao

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hustle mindset

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Have there been any rumors of a GameCube addition to Switch Online? I’m starting to think that’s the only way we’ll get WW and TP rereleases.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's mighty weird that Nintendo's back catalog has been stuck at the N64 since loving 2006.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Vookatos posted:

Here's a thing I wish for with BotW2 that the original massively overlooked:

Give me a good staff roll.

Completely agreed. My favourite vidcon ending of all time is https://youtu.be/vyz2-PjeDDM for this exact reason. What a perfect sendoff to the SNES.

Without planning it, I've been on a massive Zelda kick lately. Apologies for the megapost:

Zelda Game & Watch

What an absolutely fantastic way to play these games. I've wanted to properly beat Zelda 1 & 2 for ages, and they lend themselves so well to "play for 20-30 mins, pause, pick up where you left off.". No idea how my contemporaries ever beat these on original hardware, what a ballache.

Zelda 1 I'll always have a massive soft spot for, although turns out I completely suck at it. Final death count of 185 😬. I think I actually triggered a glitch, where every time I died I started coming back with full health instead of just 3 hearts, once I hit the 170 mark or so. Found the combat throughout exasperating but exploration exhilarating. I only had to use an FAQ once, level 7 in the second quest. If anyone ever found that on their own, I'd be surprised. Absolutely love drawing out my map on graph paper IRL, I love doing real-world poo poo in support of vid enjoyment.

Zelda 2 deserves its legacy. Reminds me a lot of Skyward Sword: excellent music, tons of padding, infuriating combat mechanics. Glad I've played it, but won't be going back. Like the spells concept. Like the levelup concept, although losing all your EXP on game over is bollocks. Two areas where I got completely stuck: one is finding the cabin in the woods near the start (was there a hint I missed?) The other, and I've never seen others complain about this: to unlock Thunder magic, you need all the magic container upgrades. The hidden one in the mazey bit near the 4th dungeon: how the gently caress was I meant to find that?

Link's Awakening: thrilled it's the original GBC version, as that's my favourite game of all time. I can't fault it.

"To the finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye..."

I've said the "scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye" in conversation, and had people ask me what poem it's from 😆😆😆

When I was a kid my parents took us to Hawaii to celebrate the transition from Elementary School to High School. I was an ungrateful little poo poo, who HATED them at the time because all my friends were going to the lovely run down high school on the bad side of town, and I was going alone to the newer, well-funded school in a nice neighbourhood. So I spent the entire trip ignoring them and the once-in-a-lifetime trip I was on, and focused purely on Koholint Island instead. Playing it on a tropical island though, with the humid temperature, the smells of the sea and the tropical food: all of those sense memories seeped into the gameplay, and the outside setting and the game are forever linked for me.

Skyward Sword

Playing the Wii version as I'm a "purist" 😆

I remember glowing reviews when this released, specifically from IGN. Always been interested in playing.

loving hell, this is rough going.

The game feels aggressively childish to me, much more so than Wind Waker. The Wing Festival? Zelda being all "uwu, maybe I'll kiss you"? The intro section takes AGES, with rescuing the cat etc. Skyloft itself feels underpopulated, and the character designs are almost as unappealing as TP's mutants. Also, I hate to say because many in this thread love him: I don't get Groose. I find him an annoying boring bully stereotype, and even his redemption has fallen flat for me. Not to my taste. The sky is awful, with nothing to do or discover.

But all of that pales for me, to the controls. I've never played ANY game, let alone a Zelda, that felt so much like the controls were against me. And not even just the motion controls! I've accidently fallen off Skyloft like 20 times, and every time you get the dialogue string with the Knights warning you to be careful. I'm constantly pressing + to try and access inventory, having the map so high up on the controller is weird to me. Holding B to select items doesn't feel intuitive to me. I'm getting used to it at 20 hours in, but I've never experienced this before. Also, minor quibble: I hate how if you run indoors, you barely increase your speed but your gauge still goes down.

And the motion controls: woof. Flying the bird is dreadful, I don't think I've ever landed an attack first try. Having to jerk the remote up to flap sucks. Something I haven't heard mentioned much: the SWIMMING controls, good grief. Nailing the jumps out of the water has been a nightmare. The swordplay isn't terrible for the 8-way slashes, but I do find that thrusting (like with the spiders) is a total crapshoot. This is just me: all the motion controls make it impossible for me to play the game with my cat on my lap, as I'm worried I'll bop her & never forgive myself.

The music is gorgeous, the locations are pleasant, I like the impressionist filter trick for faraway objects. But so far I would rank this bottom of my list with Zelda 2. I keep thinking, if this game was like a branded Teddy Ruxpin game or something instead of Zelda, it would not be positively remembered.

Link's Awakening Switch

Playing at the same time as the G&W, some notes:

Gorgeous art style and music remixes.

The frame rate drops, I notice every time. It should be minor, but for a relatively uncomplicated game, not really excusable. Pulls me out of it every time.

I was always going to unfairly compare any changes, but:
- I don't like the new Roc's feather physics. It felt satisfying to jump on GB, here I'm nervous I'll not land it properly each time.
- Don't like how fish respawn in the fish pond, let me have the satisfaction of a nice clean pond.
- This is an odd one: it's too easy to oversave your game. I was ~6 hours into a no-death Hero mode run, died, and saved when I wanted to load. Never done that before in any game, gutted.
- I don't like the new map. I get they wanted free-flowing, but I much prefer the tiled approach, where I can make sure I've seen every screen. Wish there was an option to have the old screen panning back.
- Too many owl statues, and tips like "Maybe you should align the bricks?" I'm all for accessibility in games, but wish this was only in a babby mode or something.

I still want to beat it (I'm only past 3rd dungeon), but I'll be sticking to the original for any future play-throughs.

BOTW

I could write for pages more on how much I loved BOTW, but I'll just mention one thing:

My wife loved watching me play through it (or at least she said she did 😆), but every time she played she'd get up to an enemy and get flustered by the controls and die. She said, and I totally agree: there should be an enemy-less mode, where you just play as a nature photographer, discovering beautiful new areas, meeting interesting NPCs, and just using the same engine as a chill-out space. I totally agree with her, I've never felt "I want to live in this world instead of the real one" before BOTW.

Anyway, apologies again for the length of this. Just love Zelda so much, been great going back to these worlds! This thread is amazing as well, love reading everyone's thoughts, memories and new experiences of Zelda. Brings back memories of Camp Hyrule 😆

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 6, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i honestly cannot believe preferring the original link's awakening over the remake.

the original is almost literally unplayable to me with how you need to open your menu 10 times per minute for item-swapping to do pretty much anything, and the constant repeated text boxes (wow! this looks incredibly heavy! you won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands!) slowing everything to a crawl even harder. they would've needed to screw up the remake incredibly hard to make it worse than that, and they thankfully didn't.

this is also why i'm waiting for remakes of the oracle games to happen like yesterday, please. i love them but i can't stand playing them anymore lol

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Mourning Due posted:

Zelda Game & Watch

What an absolutely fantastic way to play these games. I've wanted to properly beat Zelda 1 & 2 for ages, and they lend themselves so well to "play for 20-30 mins, pause, pick up where you left off.". No idea how my contemporaries ever beat these on original hardware, what a ballache.

Zelda 1 I'll always have a massive soft spot for, although turns out I completely suck at it. Final death count of 185 😬. I think I actually triggered a glitch, where every time I died I started coming back with full health instead of just 3 hearts, once I hit the 170 mark or so. Found the combat throughout exasperating but exploration exhilarating. I only had to use an FAQ once, level 7 in the second quest. If anyone ever found that on their own, I'd be surprised. Absolutely love drawing out my map on graph paper IRL, I love doing real-world poo poo in support of vid enjoyment.

I credit my then-60 year old grandpa for my love of Zelda. I remember when I was tiny watching him play the OG Zelda 1 on his Nintendo in the basement of their Brooklyn apartment when the game first came out. He knew all the secrets, taught me to always attack with A+B at the same time so I'd stun as well as hit, and for years I called it "Level Tree" and never even made the connection that it was the third dungeon because that's how he'd pronounce "three" in his thick Brooklyn Italian accent. Grandma would have to hide the controller from him when she got mad. It was great.

When the Wii came out we got it for him and made sure the OG Mario and Zelda games were on there for him and he still knew all the tricks.

Edit: In college a friend had a physical NES and the Zelda cart with a long dead battery, so no saving. He was amazed when I was able to sit down between classes and basically speedrun LoZ in one go, which I credit to him.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 6, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Amppelix posted:

i honestly cannot believe preferring the original link's awakening over the remake.

the original is almost literally unplayable to me with how you need to open your menu 10 times per minute for item-swapping to do pretty much anything, and the constant repeated text boxes (wow! this looks incredibly heavy! you won't be able to lift it with just your bare hands!) slowing everything to a crawl even harder. they would've needed to screw up the remake incredibly hard to make it worse than that, and they thankfully didn't.

this is also why i'm waiting for remakes of the oracle games to happen like yesterday, please. i love them but i can't stand playing them anymore lol

The original Link's Awakening (and to a lesser degree, DX) have an atmosphere and pacing designed for the pea-soup or grayscale monochrome and low, impressionistic resolution of the Game Boy. The balance of claustrophobic windows on an expansive world, the Twin Peaks-esque catalogue of strange and suspicious characters, the melodies arranged to the strength and limits of the Game Boy's punky little Z80, it's all tuned perfectly.

Yes, the menuing and interruptions are a slog. But it's a slog that's part of the holistic experience of Link's Awakening. Remakes like the Switch version are cute novelties, but treating them as definitive experiences is an act of cultural vandalism.

And don't get me started on Bluepoint's version of Shadow of the Colossus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I love the Switch version, but there's something special about the looks and sound on the GB/GBC versions. That said, I also appreciate the annoyance with the original menus for item switching (and which became even more pervasive on the Oracle games), so I pick one or the other to replay depending on my mood.