Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

PlushCow posted:

:hmmyes:

It will be hard to top all the obvious love and care and time that went into making Stardew, though I hope someone does. I'm about to start my first replay and lots has been added since I first played, I'm looking forward to it.

If you are looking for mods the automate mod makes using the machines so much more pleasant. For example you can drop a chest with copper ore and some coal in front of the furnace and it will automatically pull materials from the chest and drop the bars back into the chest until you run out of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Signalis is, indeed, very good. Very memorable start to finish.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

On Horizon's Gate it doesn't work on the deck by default. When I launch it just goes to a black screen and never does anything. I've heard if you tinker with proton settings or some such it'll work but I've never bothered to figure that stuff out.

Harvestella: is the story any better than RF5? I just don't have the patience for meandering jrpg writing but my wife likes it well enough when the story is good enough but RF5 was below her threshold.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

do you eventually get a module that speeds up your energy recharge rate? missiles are the only thing that really hurt it but i run out of juice too fast

Not that I've found, but I've only found about half the modules so it's entirely possible I just missed it. Stuff is actually pretty reasonably well hidden in this game.

FuzzySlippers posted:

On Horizon's Gate it doesn't work on the deck by default. When I launch it just goes to a black screen and never does anything. I've heard if you tinker with proton settings or some such it'll work but I've never bothered to figure that stuff out.

Harvestella: is the story any better than RF5? I just don't have the patience for meandering jrpg writing but my wife likes it well enough when the story is good enough but RF5 was below her threshold.

The story is about the only redeeming feature of Harvestella, it's genuinely kind of weird and intriguing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

i haven't tried on deck yet and i haven't changed from the default proton. ask the experts here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973713&perpage=40&pagenumber=340#pti32

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

secretly best girl posted:

I did not expect that me getting owned was gonna be thread title-worthy but I deserve this

To be clear I wasn’t really trying to dunk on you more than I was genuinely curious how anyone could rack up time in that game because to my recollection it’s like a ten minute affair with very little influence on your part or variation to it. I literally gifted it to friends back in the day as a joke.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Excellent. I've really been looking forward to this one, but the steam reviews were making me nervous.

The Steam reviews are a bunch of wank. Some legitimate stuff being complained about like the lack of settings options but then there's also nerds complaining about there being no dodge (there is, its a fighter skill but it has no i-frames). Or there being no social mechanics (there are, they unlock after chapter 2). Or no romances (apparently getting married is locked until after finishing the main story according to the only actual review I could find). That said I don't want to commit to calling it good because so far I've only progressed to immediately after where the switch demo ended so I dunno. I am enjoying it for now though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m really enjoying Ghost Song’s dialogue. souls-influenced games are usually terse, but this has a playful baroqueness that reminds me of Fallen London

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Failboattootoot posted:

The Steam reviews are a bunch of wank. Some legitimate stuff being complained about like the lack of settings options but then there's also nerds complaining about there being no dodge (there is, its a fighter skill but it has no i-frames). Or there being no social mechanics (there are, they unlock after chapter 2). Or no romances (apparently getting married is locked until after finishing the main story according to the only actual review I could find). That said I don't want to commit to calling it good because so far I've only progressed to immediately after where the switch demo ended so I dunno. I am enjoying it for now though.

i think like half of the negative steam reviews also include whining about not being able to play as a big tough masculine manly man

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

If you are looking for mods the automate mod makes using the machines so much more pleasant. For example you can drop a chest with copper ore and some coal in front of the furnace and it will automatically pull materials from the chest and drop the bars back into the chest until you run out of resources.

It does sound nice, I don’t think mods were even an option when I first played

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

I’m really enjoying Ghost Song’s dialogue. souls-influenced games are usually terse, but this has a playful baroqueness that reminds me of Fallen London

It's fun trying to order everyone in your head in terms of weirdness, except for Roper who is just like, a dude lol

Bill too I guess

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

i think like half of the negative steam reviews also include whining about not being able to play as a big tough masculine manly man

The character “creator”’is pretty fuckin whack OP.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

MarcusSA posted:

The character “creator”’is pretty fuckin whack OP.

thank you for proving how weak you are

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the japanese can not be forgiven for forcing me to play as a twink

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

thank you for proving how weak you are

lol

ShadowMar posted:

the japanese can not be forgiven for forcing me to play as a twink

Also lol

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ShadowMar posted:

The salt over that brings me great joy. But on the other hand, it really is a terrible character creator in terms of body, face, and hair options.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i genuinely dont understand where people got the idea that this game would have some sort of in-depth character customization when they basically did not mention anything about it beyond "you can be male/female/non-binary"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i just wish more games had a detailed facemaker like mteal gear solid v

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For an alternate take on Wartales, I thought the combat was so bad and poorly designed that it would never be fun. All the world immersion/interaction stuff is neat but the combat had several key design problems that made it far too easily "solved", like:

1) Player and enemy operating under fundamentally different rules - when the enemy uses an AoE attack it spends a turn preparing it and shows you exactly where it's going to hit, and you can easily move all of your units out of the hit zone every time. When you use the exact same AoE attack, it's instant - you're already way ahead of the enemy in the power curve based on this one decision

2) The player has an action economy that is twice as effective as the enemy (enemy gets one action per turn, player gets two - a regular action and a Resolve ability) which, okay, just doubling down on catapulting you ahead on the power curve

3) The enemy units take their turns sequentially in a pre-determined order. The player can choose each of their units' places in the turn order on the fly. When the player gets a turn, it's just a turn for the player, and they can choose any of their unused units. This is just a joke by now, the enemy has no way to compete. For example, enemy archers are 100% useless because the way combat opens (all enemies and allies scattered in the same area) lets you just surgically pick and choose units that are next to the archers and engage them in melee, effectively removing them from the fight and making them kill themselves trying to move away from you, on the very first turn, with nothing the AI can do to stop you.

4) The way that itemization works is bad and totally flat. Weapons have no 'damage' stat, they add small amounts of Strength or Dexterity, and your damage is based on that. Each time you level up you get a random selection of stats that you can choose. But there's literally only ever one stat worth taking: Strength (or Dexterity for dex weapons). How useful a character is down the road is a matter of how many times they got to choose Strength or Dexterity during levelup. Similarly, Armor does nothing except add flat HP, and it adds absurd amounts of HP compared to the incredibly small gains you get from putting points in Constitution, doubling down on the fact that there's only one good stat.

5) Most critically and the thing that absolutely killed the game for me is that enemy difficulty is just a factor of their stats. Harder enemies have giant HP pools and bigger damage ranges. This forces you to take a pretty linear route around the map because you are hard-limited on when you can do various different counters based on your level. You cannot win a fight where the enemy is one level higher because their swings kill you in one hit and you do miniscule chip damage to them. If you outlevel them, you can go in virtually naked and they wouldn't be able to scratch you. Difficulty never comes from "tricky" or thoughtful enemies, just from bigger HP pools and higher levels. Since it's so easy to 'solve' everything else about the combat every battle felt pre-determined.

I haven't tried it again in a long time to see if any of that ever got fixed but I don't really want to because it had all the depth of an early 2000s Flash game. The fault may lie entirely with me for expecting it to be more of a Battle Brothers-like but :smith: it definitely wasn't one.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 6, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Protip to make your Harvestella experience infinitely better if you're playing with a controller. Go to the options and toggle the option to swap the Confirm/Cancel buttons first thing. Confirm defaults to B and Cancel is A by default.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 6, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Not that I've found, but I've only found about half the modules so it's entirely possible I just missed it. Stuff is actually pretty reasonably well hidden in this game.

coming back to this - the voice in the elevator sells a lot of modules, including an energy reductor. you have to take the elevator up and circle back around to the bottom of the shaft using the upper tunnels, then blast open the left-hand wall

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

For an alternate take on Wartales, I thought the combat was so bad and poorly designed that it would never be fun. All the world immersion/interaction stuff is neat but the combat had several key design problems that made it far too easily "solved", like:

1) Player and enemy operating under fundamentally different rules - when the enemy uses an AoE attack it spends a turn preparing it and shows you exactly where it's going to hit, and you can easily move all of your units out of the hit zone every time. When you use the exact same AoE attack, it's instant - you're already way ahead of the enemy in the power curve based on this one decision

2) The player has an action economy that is twice as effective as the enemy (enemy gets one action per turn, player gets two - a regular action and a Resolve ability) which, okay, just doubling down on catapulting you ahead on the power curve

3) The enemy units take their turns sequentially in a pre-determined order. The player can choose each of their units' places in the turn order on the fly. When the player gets a turn, it's just a turn for the player, and they can choose any of their unused units. This is just a joke by now, the enemy has no way to compete. For example, enemy archers are 100% useless because the way combat opens (all enemies and allies scattered in the same area) lets you just surgically pick and choose units that are next to the archers and engage them in melee, effectively removing them from the fight and making them kill themselves trying to move away from you, on the very first turn, with nothing the AI can do to stop you.

4) The way that itemization works is bad and totally flat. Weapons have no 'damage' stat, they add small amounts of Strength or Dexterity, and your damage is based on that. Each time you level up you get a random selection of stats that you can choose. But there's literally only ever one stat worth taking: Strength (or Dexterity for dex weapons). How useful a character is down the road is a matter of how many times they got to choose Strength or Dexterity during levelup. Similarly, Armor does nothing except add flat HP, and it adds absurd amounts of HP compared to the incredibly small gains you get from putting points in Constitution, doubling down on the fact that there's only one good stat.

5) Most critically and the thing that absolutely killed the game for me is that enemy difficulty is just a factor of their stats. Harder enemies have giant HP pools and bigger damage ranges. This forces you to take a pretty linear route around the map because you are hard-limited on when you can do various different counters based on whether you have gear to match the tier of the encounter. You cannot win a fight where you have gear of a lower tier than the enemy because their swings kill you in one hit and you do miniscule chip damage to them.

you should post this on r/wartales, that's the kind of feedback the devs need. but 1 isn't true. you and the enemies have the same weapons, i think you have a few more tho. i remember some of them did windup attacks in the beginning of my playthrough. those go away.
strength and dex are not your god stats. the criticals seem underwhelming for the base numbers, but IMO that's at least tied for best one. would you rather add 1-4 damage on level up, or boost the chances for one of those cool weapon special attacks/character skills to proc on crit?

can i ask what games of this genre you like? i think most people would not feel insulted by the difficulty level. i didn't. and if it's way too easy for you, i don't understand point 5. do you want a challenge or not? you absolutely can beat those enemies who can one-shot half your crew, that's what tanks are for. And poison and stuff. I assume you saw that there's an option to play with the enemies scaling?

I don't think the devs are hearing any of the criticism you and I are posting, and i reckon they'd listen. fans are fans, and they post fanny stuff. and steam reviewers usually post dumb critiques.

for me? i love tactical combat and i think most games do it wrong. wartales combat vibed with me, though.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

pentyne posted:

Kind of wish there was a common farming game mechanic where you can just hire other people to do the actual farming work for some % of the yield instead of having to do it all manually, especially for the adventure rpg style games. Or just tech/automation that helps speed up the basic processes.

Sakuna kept slowly introducing more advanced tech/equipment to help with the whole process but it was trickled out too slow to really get use out of it.

Maybe somebody could make a single player game where you pay real-money to Southeast Asians to farm for you, or act as NPCs

You can marry a 42-year old man named Ezekiel who plays the ditzy pharmacist in town

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Doing this late...

I'm so casual, I only play games until I roll credits, usually.

Would have 100 hours in Elden Ring on here but I got it on PS5.

When that Witcher 3 upgrade comes out I'm going in for a replay, then it'll probably top my numbers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1589057646883405824

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CHOP GOBLINS is such an incredible title for a video game that I am practically obligated to play it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Ghost Song at around 10 hours

slightly annoyed that i missed two trophies because of a single skipped conversation (you have to talk to the entire Gambler crew in every chapter, and sometimes they're foraging at the base camp's outskirts rather than at the camp itself) and the ending was something of a disappointment, but overall, fantastic metroid sendup. this was the first kickstarter project i saw that actually interested me and it's nice to see that it turned out well after all this time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

slightly annoyed that i missed two trophies because of a single skipped conversation (you have to talk to the entire Gambler crew in every chapter, and sometimes they're foraging at the base camp's outskirts rather than at the camp itself) and the ending was something of a disappointment, but overall, fantastic metroid sendup. this was the first kickstarter project i saw that actually interested me and it's nice to see that it turned out well after all this time

Oh good you can nudge me in the right direction then, what colour am I meant to go after for Part 2?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh good you can nudge me in the right direction then, what colour am I meant to go after for Part 2?

if you already returned the first ship part then it's a free-for-all, though i'd recommend saving the red part for last. i think my second grab was yellow

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I am still looking forward to playing Ghost Song, but since it's a brand new Metroid style game I would've probably liked to have seen some spoiler tags because I always want to go in this type of game completely blind about mechanics and functions.

Probably should take a break from Vintage story and play Ghost song now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

if you already returned the first ship part then it's a free-for-all, though i'd recommend saving the red part for last. i think my second grab was yellow

Aight, I'll give that a go

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Holy poo poo Roof Rage is awesome and only a buck fifty right now. It's a platform fighter that's heavy on platforming/juggling, feels less tryhard-y than Rivals, reminds me of beat-em-ups or maybe Street Fighter. Discovered this today while looking for a fighting game in the discount section on Steam, my son and I played it a bunch and it's rad.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/724300/Roof_Rage/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Has there been any new boomer shooters with campaign coop? I know Doom and some other old ones have it, but the new indie ones never seem to.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cicero posted:

Has there been any new boomer shooters with campaign coop? I know Doom and some other old ones have it, but the new indie ones never seem to.

Does Serious Sam 4 count?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah it's on Game Pass and so far I'm enjoying it

Only complaint so far is hitboxes are a little janky (I touched the first (mini) boss's last pixel of hair to die lmao, but got it in round 2). Though, I'm not sure it really needed the ol Dark Souls runback to your souls, but whatever

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cicero posted:

Doesn't Prodeus have?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

posting my shame :negative:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

The worst thing about Harvestella so far is that they don't list sell value anywhere so now I am having to keep my own spreadsheet of sell value. Also that prices are different in each town (for example, unionion seeds are 130 in Lethe but 105 in Nemea) so that complicates profit calculations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
Thanks for the recommendation Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well? How is it?