Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

The junk collector posted:

Yeah Isekai loves to talk up magic systems as complex things requiring years of study then give the main character a spam magic button that makes him instantly super good and avoids the need to actually think about the magic system or how it interacts with the setting.

My favorite take on isekai magic is still "Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard". While everyone else is using some kind of JRPG system with mana pools and instant cast spells, the MC rocks up with with a D&D-based system complete with a house-ruled %5 failure chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Are we ever getting another volume of Magic User? Because I really liked that.

Favorite part is when he's in a hurry to leave but his dwarf buddies bully him into casting Make Wall first so they can quarry the rock.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

Favorite part is when he's in a hurry to leave but his dwarf buddies bully him into casting Make Wall first so they can quarry the rock.

Volume 4 now has a release date of 3/28/2023 so fingers crossed!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Guyver posted:

I've actually been enjoying minecraft reincarnation despite the uh... numerous fetishes going on

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is extremely horny but as extremely horny isekai goes it is on the upper tier.

Which really says more about the rest of the field.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Minecraft Isekai is strangely fun

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Do you need to know anything about Minecraft to enjoy it?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SpiderLink posted:

Do you need to know anything about Minecraft to enjoy it?

All you need to know is that the dude's superpower is he is a Minecraft and operates on Minecraft logic and rules in a normal fantasy world.

e: and also that he's really into master/slave fetish as the slave.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

All you need to know is that the dude's superpower is he is a Minecraft and operates on Minecraft logic and rules in a normal fantasy world.

e: and also that he's really into master/slave fetish as the slave.

Yeah it doesn't require deep knowledge of how Minecraft works, just basic stuff like "you make stuff by placing blocks", "blocks can be placed in mid-air", "there are achievements".

Edit: since we keep bringing it up, the actual title is Goshujin-sama to Yuku Isekai Survival! aka "Survival in Another World with My Mistress!".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think I'm really just a sucker for the "The things you do make no loving sense" trope

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for the clarifications and the title

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think I'm really just a sucker for the "The things you do make no loving sense" trope

Agreed, which is why I keep enjoying those dumb "we raised the MC wrong, as a joke" mangas where the MC thinks they're weak but are actually a god.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

Agreed, which is why I keep enjoying those dumb "we raised the MC wrong, as a joke" mangas where the MC thinks they're weak but are actually a god.

i also like the "we raised everyone else in the world wrong as a joke" premise where the MC is a completely normal person but everyone else assumes they're some unstoppable cosmic force that can shatter continents

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm with you there too. That's why I like the ones where the protagonist comes in with a completely different powerset of their own than the rest of the population use. Like Magic User: Reborn in Another World as a Max Level Wizard that Nemo recommended at the top of the page. Or the Red Ranger one where even his status page doesn't have normal stats like you'd expect an RPG status screen to.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The death god isekai one is funny and it's riffing on every isekai setup at the same time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah the Minecraft one in isolation needs to go to horny jail but the mc might be into that. Still, it is almost sweet in a genre that has some dude gently caress his house.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah the Minecraft one in isolation needs to go to horny jail but the mc might be into that. Still, it is almost sweet in a genre that has some dude gently caress his house.

The house loving manga is such a weird series. It just comes right out the gate with that, then it mostly drops all the horny for ages in favor of doing generic power fantasy stuff.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nemo2342 posted:

The house loving manga is such a weird series. It just comes right out the gate with that, then it mostly drops all the horny for ages in favor of doing generic power fantasy stuff.

I'd never think I would hear about a second piece of media where someone fucks their house. It was weird enough the first time. (The first one I heard about is in some webnovel called worth the candle).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Was a weird way for someone to get an expansion for their house.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

It does however dip into the piss fantasy several times

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Oh right, the one where every time the local princess witnesses MC housefucker using his overpowered magic she uncontrollably wets herself

skip

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It’s not hateful but it is bad. Just, like, badly written on every level, do not read.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

what the gently caress

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Spanish Matlock posted:

It does however dip into the piss fantasy several times

I've always felt it was more of a gross joke the author refuses to let go of, though that is a very fine line.

It doesn't really matter though, it's a middling series that just plods along once you get past the early "wtf, he hosed the house" chapters so I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. I feel like the only reason I haven't dropped it yet is because the chapters are ~10 pages long so I've finished them before my brain has time to question why I still follow it.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'd never think I would hear about a second piece of media where someone fucks their house. It was weird enough the first time. (The first one I heard about is in some webnovel called worth the candle).

I think one of the Silent Hill games revolves around preventing a man from loving his house

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think one of the Silent Hill games revolves around preventing a man from loving his house

More like dumb-dumb ritualistic murder man figures out how to cheat death but thinks his mom is an apartment. Which is roughly the same tier of odd.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nemo2342 posted:

I've always felt it was more of a gross joke the author refuses to let go of, though that is a very fine line.

Between that and the character with jumbo breasts, that's a lot of gross jokes. I mean, I guess it could be done . . .

surc
Aug 17, 2004

wdarkk posted:

A VRMMO anime focused on streamer culture might be interesting.

It's not quite VRMMO but I've been really enjoying this 'dungeon tower appears on earth' style one where part of the system is people higher in the tower are watching and basically twitch chat for people below them. also mc knew everything in advance because of magic prophecy videos, but whatcha gonna do
https://asura.gg/manga/the-newbie-is-too-strong/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are an awful lot of webnovels where people reading twitch chat in real time is somehow important. often, the spectators are mythological figures with a vague pseudonym as their chat username.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

SexyBlindfold posted:

off topic but: where/when did you get your redtext. a custom title for not capitalizing is a serious throwback

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nemo2342 posted:

That's what people said about Lynn Okamoto

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are an awful lot of webnovels where people reading twitch chat in real time is somehow important. often, the spectators are mythological figures with a vague pseudonym as their chat username.

BOFareesNUTZ: hydra is poggers
xxdrZ3USSxx: lol get rekt mortals ⚡
hotinhera has joined
69STYXLORD69: pog
herkleZ: hyrda too op nerf hydsr
xxdrZ3USSxx: pog
broseidon: 🐍HYDRAtion is key
hotinhera has left
charybdischarybdat: lmao pog

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's what people said about Lynn Okamoto

That's just a full blown fetish and not even a concealed one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

surc posted:

It's not quite VRMMO but I've been really enjoying this 'dungeon tower appears on earth' style one where part of the system is people higher in the tower are watching and basically twitch chat for people below them. also mc knew everything in advance because of magic prophecy videos, but whatcha gonna do
https://asura.gg/manga/the-newbie-is-too-strong/

That was a fun little binge, and blessedly light on the sociopathy up until the end.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Stexils posted:

off topic but: where/when did you get your redtext. a custom title for not capitalizing is a serious throwback

c-spam? maybe d&d? it must have been some 8 years ago or so. I haven't changed it because I am, after all, laid back an nice

e: actually more like 10 years, drat. probably by the same people who kept probating me for it? oh well

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lovely Chinese webnovels love to have some expert come into the chat and just endlessly praise how awesome the protagonist is.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I watched a promo recap thingy on Uncle From Another World. I was charmed by the idea of waking up from a 17 year coma/Isekai and asking your nephew for a status report on the console wars. I was smitten when he cried for the loss of Sega in his absence.

Is it good? How do I find... Anime?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

I watched a promo recap thingy on Uncle From Another World. I was charmed by the idea of waking up from a 17 year coma/Isekai and asking your nephew for a status report on the console wars. I was smitten when he cried for the loss of Sega in his absence.

Is it good? How do I find... Anime?

Its good. the anime is on Netflix (and not the netflix jail). Unfortunately the studio first got hit by COVID, and the production was already having massive problems so it got delayed for a really long time. It should hopefully be coming back on the 24th.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Uncle, when asked what happened to his highschool and middle school friends