Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

but enough about the angels

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Why was he in the parade?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he grew up in houston so presumably is an astros fan

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
They charged the guy with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

lobster shirt posted:

he grew up in houston so presumably is an astros fan

He is very much not. He's just an opportunist that shows up to the championship games of any Texas team decked out in their gear.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sab0921 posted:

they should give him the key to the city

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

lobster shirt posted:

they should give him the key to the city

Yeah, chucking that at Ted Cruz would probably be harder to dodge than the can of beer

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Recovering from a massive hangover from yesterday's parade after parties. Jeremy Pena could have any woman in the city of Houston if he wanted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Marklar posted:

Why was he in the parade?

He's a Texas Senator who craves the spotlight.

He made a big deal of being at the Astros' home games in 2019 as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

speaking of which did NFTs just like, go away? I haven't heard about NFTs in forever
They’re very dead

For some reason we are still seeing some gaming companies trying to push NFTs like Square Enix, but other than them it’s dead. People quickly figured out that it was just a big pump and dump scam. The only ones who made money were the very early people who sold high to a bunch of rubes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sab0921 posted:

He's going to do more time than the guy who broke into Pelosi's home isn't he

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re very dead

For some reason we are still seeing some gaming companies trying to push NFTs like Square Enix, but other than them it’s dead. People quickly figured out that it was just a big pump and dump scam. The only ones who made money were the very early people who sold high to a bunch of rubes

Thank God. I hope you're right cause that whole thing was just a big WTF

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently both FOs agreed on a Willson for Urquidy deal with the Astros, but Astros ownership said no.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I got an email from MLB this weekend saying something like “Claim your Commemorative World Series Ticket!”, which I was excited about since Minute Maid doesn’t do paper tickets anymore. The excitement lasted about ten seconds before I opened the email and realized it was some stupid loving NFT thing MLB partnered with.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Thank God. I hope you're right cause that whole thing was just a big WTF
NFT trading is down like 90%+ since January

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Colts are giving out commemorative NFT tickets and I just.... Don't care

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is there actually a practical difference between a nft ticket and a non nft ticket? Like don’t you have to print out the latter? Can you not print the former? I recognize nfts are scams and worthless but so is memorabilia kinda. It seems about the same level as a commemorative plate. But I’m old so I have a specious grasp on this.

Or were you hoping the Astros would send you an old school ticket stub?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I got an email from MLB this weekend saying something like “Claim your Commemorative World Series Ticket!”, which I was excited about since Minute Maid doesn’t do paper tickets anymore. The excitement lasted about ten seconds before I opened the email and realized it was some stupid loving NFT thing MLB partnered with.

Me too, but I DID get a program while I was there which is cooler and harder to lose than a ticket stub.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Apparently both FOs agreed on a Willson for Urquidy deal with the Astros, but Astros ownership said no.

That would have been a horrible trade for the Astros and a brilliant one for the Cubs. Crick is lucky Crane overruled him.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The NYGiants did that for two games. I clicked on the link once to see WTF it was and it was just a dumb animated logo.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

STAC Goat posted:

Is there actually a practical difference between a nft ticket and a non nft ticket? Like don’t you have to print out the latter? Can you not print the former? I recognize nfts are scams and worthless but so is memorabilia kinda. It seems about the same level as a commemorative plate. But I’m old so I have a specious grasp on this.

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but I haven't been to a pro sporting event that still accepts paper tickets in like... a couple years at this point

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

He is very much not. He's just an opportunist that shows up to the championship games of any Texas team decked out in their gear.

unlike the rest of the clowns at that parade, I’m sure

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Some Numbers posted:

He's a Texas Senator who craves the spotlight.

He made a big deal of being at the Astros' home games in 2019 as well.

No that I understand. But why would they let him in? I guess that is rhetorical.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

camoseven posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but I haven't been to a pro sporting event that still accepts paper tickets in like... a couple years at this point

That’s what I meant. If the Astros offer you a commemorative old school ticket… and they don’t make them anymore… then what’s the difference if it’s a nft? It’s fair to just think it’s not worth paying for or to have preferred the team send you one of those old paper tickets that they just fabricate as memorabilia. But either way it’s just some memorabilia being made to be sold. So i guess the difference between a nft and not nft is whether there’s a physical item sent to you?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1589998224613732352?s=20&t=4Sz3ieq78QL6RKH8d8Agfw

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Marklar posted:

No that I understand. But why would they let him in? I guess that is rhetorical.

I assume that’s like a decision of the city of Houston? Whoever organized the parade? I guess that could be the organization and they just got permits? But I think it’s usually a city thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do wonder if Click gets fired if they don’t win the Series

It sounded like Crane was ready to pull the trigger but the Astros’ success nixed his plans

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That makes it sound like a one year extension. If that's all winning the world series gets you then Crane is making it a pretty unappealing job

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Good, it never really made sense to not keep Click and I'm fine with Dusty staying as we kinda have a roster that doesn't need much managing right now

Dunno what he has against Click frankly

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Didn't mention this before Id on't think but somehow Davis/Smoltz made me miss Buck/McCarver

fast cars loose anus posted:

Good, it never really made sense to not keep Click and I'm fine with Dusty staying as we kinda have a roster that doesn't need much managing right now

Dunno what he has against Click frankly

Supposedly Crane likes big splashy moves like Lunhow used to do. Click, being from the Rays front office, doesn't know what a big splashy move even is

e:Smoltz especially has zero clue how to let a moment breathe

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kirios posted:

That would have been a horrible trade for the Astros and a brilliant one for the Cubs. Crick is lucky Crane overruled him.

Horrible? Willson's WAR for the past 2 years is 8. Urquidy is a little over 3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

Horrible? Willson's WAR for the past 2 years is 8. Urquidy is a little over 3.

Urquidy has three more years of team control, Willson would have been a two month rental

Im honestly a little surprised to see Dusty coming back. I thought for sure he'd retire

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

That’s what I meant. If the Astros offer you a commemorative old school ticket… and they don’t make them anymore… then what’s the difference if it’s a nft? It’s fair to just think it’s not worth paying for or to have preferred the team send you one of those old paper tickets that they just fabricate as memorabilia. But either way it’s just some memorabilia being made to be sold. So i guess the difference between a nft and not nft is whether there’s a physical item sent to you?

The difference is you have to admit you own an NFT.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

camoseven posted:

What if I walk up to the ticket office at the stadium 15 minutes before the first pitch and buy a seat and say I have no smartphone?

Intruder posted:

Urquidy has three more years of team control, Willson would have been a two month rental

Im honestly a little surprised to see Dusty coming back. I thought for sure he'd retire

Ohhhh, huge difference, got it.

I get why Dusty would stay - great paycheck and he honestly doesn't have to do a ton of work.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Red posted:

What if I walk up to the ticket office at the stadium 15 minutes before the first pitch and buy a seat and say I have no smartphone?
They’ll give you a printed out pdf ticket on an 8x11 sheet of office paper

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

it'll be a sheet from a dot matrix printer and you can remove the things on the sides

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Intruder posted:

it'll be a sheet from a dot matrix printer and you can remove the things on the sides

With a sweet ASCII logo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You hold up the ticket scanning line for 15 minutes as the worker has to call over their manager from the other side of the stadium because they don't know how to handle your print out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The print out has the same QR code you scan on your phone, they don’t care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Didn’t realize wanting a physical ticket as a souvenir would be such a hot take.

STAC Goat posted:

I have a bunch of framed postseason tickets from prior games I’ve attended, including 2017 :yikes:, and I just thought it would be cool to add this year’s ticket to it. :shrug: