Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Disco Pope posted:

Wasn't the flashbacks effectiveness hinted at by the Plagas not liking sunlight? I can't remember how I found out how good they were or how my brain made the connection though.

I think the closest thing would be that you don't see the first one until night but that feels more like an incidental stakes ramping than trying to hint at a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Medullah posted:

SH3 isn't a terrible port, but if you want to play Silent Hill 2 the absolute best way to play it now is on the PC with the fan Enhanced Edition mod. It's amazing.

There are also first person mods for SH1 and 2 which is a really neat way to play.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Shiroc posted:

I think the closest thing would be that you don't see the first one until night but that feels more like an incidental stakes ramping than trying to hint at a weapon.

I'm pretty sure one of the files mentions a sensitivity to light, but yeah that doesn't communicate "Flashbang = instant death" at all. I don't know how the devs intended you to figure it out, but for most of us it's "My buddy told me while I was complaining about getting axed in the face too many times."

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think you're just supposed to stumble onto it via sheer "you will probably use a flashbang when mobbed by enemies and at least one of these guys is present" dumb luck right?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Sorry I save all my flashbangs to throw at crows. They started a war and I'm here to end it :hellyeah:

Also please do not buy the SH HD collection. It is a bad buggy unfixed mess and the new voices are not good in comparison to the old (not a problem for SH2 because you can choose the old voices but not the case for SH3 where you're stuck with the new voices regardless).

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Thanks guys! I'll get the PC version.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno how viable the mine thrower is for regular use, but it's hella fun to play around with.

It's quite viable. If you roll with just the Mine Thrower and one or two other guns, the ammo drop rate will never let you run out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I maybe just retrospectively drew the sunlight/flash bang comparison. It's been a while!

in other news, I finished Shadow of Rose. It was good - pretty intense in places, but the second chapter outstayed it's welcome.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Momomo posted:

I don't use the TMP because single, strong shots are a lot more satisfying then a bunch of weak ones. The Mine Thrower is the weapon I need to try out one of these days. From what I've seen people say, the description of it is awful compared to what it actually does.

The mine thrower is eh until you gets it's final upgrade and it turns into the most insane weapon in an RE game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks guys! I'll get the PC version.

If you want to play the Enhanced Edition of SH2 on PC, you can send me a PM or email (username @gmail.com) and I can help you set it up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The general horror games thread in here has been pretty hot on various Silent Hill discussions lately too, it's a good place if you want to chat more about the game.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Medullah posted:

If you want to play the Enhanced Edition of SH2 on PC, you can send me a PM or email (username @gmail.com) and I can help you set it up.

I already got it running. I'll definitely hit you up if I run into an issue with the mod. Thanks buddy.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The general horror games thread in here has been pretty hot on various Silent Hill discussions lately too, it's a good place if you want to chat more about the game.

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The first time I used the Mine Thrower in the original RE3, it hit Nemesis mid charge and then exploded at the exact same frame as he punched me, loving my whole poo poo up.

The Mine Thrower rules.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Regular mercenaries in re 8 did not click with me at all but Chris and Dimitrescu (havent even played Karl yet) are super fun and I'm having an easier time with them S ranking than I ever did Ethan. Third person mode is also a fun appetite whet for Re4make and I thought i was hot poo poo for getting the infinite ammo stake magnum before factory but soldats still take 2 shots to the weak spot to down. Still a lot easier than Madhouse though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

At factory shot soldat

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

thebardyspoon posted:

I think you're just supposed to stumble onto it via sheer "you will probably use a flashbang when mobbed by enemies and at least one of these guys is present" dumb luck right?

The cabin fight is basically this

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TMP is cool for kneecapping enemies and shooting down treasures. But it is quite satisfying emptying a full clip into a floored ganado.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

"Hmm, today I think I will try the RE4 randomizer."

:stonklol:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WaltherFeng posted:

Signalis is coming to consoles tomorrow and it looks like RE style of fun. Apparently it's gotten really good reviews too. (I read a Destructoid review that gave it 9.5).
Thanks for mentioning this, though I'd say it's at least equal parts Silent Hill in theme and style. Great either way.

It's free on gamepass though, so no reason to not give it a shot if you're on the fence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

"Hmm, today I think I will try the RE4 randomizer."

:stonklol:

Can't a woman just do some simple forestry work in peace? Smh, Leon

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
There's this part in the first chapter of RE4 where you try to get back to the village, and a bunch of villagers and one of the chainsaw dudes come running up to you.

You also have a variety of grenades.

I feel like this entire setpiece was designed for players to use some of those grenades, and learn the power of the flashbang.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont you still get TMP ammo even if you aren't carrying it? I feel like in 5 you dont get ammo for guns you aren't carrying, but I didn't think thats how it was in 4. I never carry the TMP as I much prefer precise, more damaging shots but seems like I remember finding the ammo anyway. Or are there set world spawns but then you only get drops from enemies for weapons you have on you?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

codo27 posted:

Dont you still get TMP ammo even if you aren't carrying it? I feel like in 5 you dont get ammo for guns you aren't carrying, but I didn't think thats how it was in 4. I never carry the TMP as I much prefer precise, more damaging shots but seems like I remember finding the ammo anyway. Or are there set world spawns but then you only get drops from enemies for weapons you have on you?

The latter. Stuff sitting on tables and cabinets and the like is set, stuff enemies drop is based on what you've got with you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I might be wrong but I think mooks will also drop standard handgun rounds regardless of whether you have a handgun or not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would not have noticed that, because I cannot conceive of playing the game without a handgun :ohdear:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sorry for asking a silly and perhaps frequent question, but after playing Signalis for a bit I'd like to try Resident Evil. I've never played any of them except for RE4 (Switch) for a bit. I'm not sure where to start particularly with all the remakes. What do you all suggest?

I have RE 1-3 as PSOne Classics, RE4 on Switch, all the Steam games that were in the Humble Bundle a few months ago (so 1-3 remakes, 4, Revelations, 0, 5-7, and Village). I also have "access" to the GC/Wii versions of 1-3 (or 4 for some reason) that I can play on my Deck.

As I understand, GC/Wii REmake is basically the same as the modern Steam version, but also effectively a polished version of the PSX game, while GC 2-3 are just ports of the PSX version (but still better to play?), and the modern 2-3 remakes are quite different games being much more influenced by the later shooter entries.

Would you say Steam REmake, GC 2-3, then 4, and maybe the modern 2-3 remakes? Other than novelty is there a reason to return to the PSX games?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

If you think you'd like old school better than the shooter influenced one's then that play order seems good. Re2 and 3 remakes are really good, but I like the A and B scenarios of the originals more

E: If you do end up liking the GameCube 2 and 3, give Code Veronica a shot too!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Are you planning to play every single game? Seems like a moot point if so.

If you want essential Resident Evil at its best, play the 2 remake. Otherwise there’s like half a dozen stone cold masterpiece games in the franchise, just play what looks cool.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
REMake 1, 2, 3, RE2R, RE3R, RE4, RE7 and RE8 are a good foundation. 5 is decent with a pal and kinda average otherwise. 6 is an experience for better or worse. There's also other games like Code Veronica which is technically the real bridge between RE2 and RE4 but one of the worst aged REs but I think it's fine if you enjoy the PSX ones, Revelations games which are hidden gems, and several other games you should do research on before parting with cash over them.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Other than novelty is there a reason to return to the PSX games?

RE2Remake and RE3R are entirely new games compared to the PSX games and both sets are good, so the reason is Playing Good Resident Evil Games.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 8, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Anonymous Robot posted:

Are you planning to play every single game?
Realistically I'd probably peter out then pick it up in another decade or so.

Doomykins posted:

RE2Remake and RE3R are entirely new games compared to the PSX games and both sets are good, so the reason is Playing Good Resident Evil Games.
Yeah I guess I'm trying to figure out how "different" the GC 2-3 are from the PSX and assuming you wouldn't realistically play both these days if there's a specific reason to return to the PSX ones.

Forgot about Code Veronica, good point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think the only major differences between PS1 and GC for RE2 and 3 are visual fidelity? So 240p vs 480i and 480p, which will make the models sharper and cleaner, but the backgrounds will still be pretty low res. RE2’s also all on one disk on GC if that’s important to you too.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Not to complicate things further for ya, but the Dreamcast versions of 2 and 3 are even better because they have built in model viewers!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As someone who at one point could have probably played RE2 blindfolded I think it’s worth playing at least once (meaning 4 times because of A/B).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think anyone new to the series that may have never dealt with tank controls should consider if that's a deal breaker.

If all you've played are games that came out in the last 10 or 15 years, it might be a problem playing the originals.

RE2make is probably the best of the bunch though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

BiggerBoat posted:

I think anyone new to the series that may have never dealt with tank controls should consider if that's a deal breaker.

If all you've played are games that came out in the last 10 or 15 years, it might be a problem playing the originals.

RE2make is probably the best of the bunch though.

And they might really like them :shobon:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tank controls are extremely simple and I trust someone who can type a post can also wrap their head around up=forward

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Everyone generalizes "tank controls" as the issue, but I think it's really "tank controls in a fixed camera with constantly reorienting angles" that make them iffy to return to. But definitely give them a shot, and just move to newer ones if they don't click.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Everyone generalizes "tank controls" as the issue, but I think it's really "tank controls in a fixed camera with constantly reorienting angles" that make them iffy to return to. But definitely give them a shot, and just move to newer ones if they don't click.

Its this. Up is forward is fine, until the camera changes and where up is taking you changes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's taking you in the direction your character is facing, just like before the camera angle changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crowetron posted:

It's taking you in the direction your character is facing, just like before the camera angle changed

Yeah, but it just fucks with my spatial awareness too much when the orientation is constantly changing. It's not objectively bad design, it's just something that doesn't work for everyone.