Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it's almost like a gag. "Now, I have to be very precise to pull this off, do an absolutely flawless performance and work harder than I've ever worked, even as a master of my craft."
*immediately bashes head on the door frame* "AH gently caress, I'M SCYTALE AND I HURT MY FACE-DANCER FACE!"

There's that amazing Tleilaxu in Heretics who has secret dart throwers in his sleeves that are bathed in radiation baths at absolute zero to render them completely undetectable to scanners, and then the Bene Gesserit immediately think "hmm, why does this idiot keep pointing his sleeve at me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's that amazing Tleilaxu in Heretics who has secret dart throwers in his sleeves that are bathed in radiation baths at absolute zero to render them completely undetectable to scanners, and then the Bene Gesserit immediately think "hmm, why does this idiot keep pointing his sleeve at me?"
They truly are witches capable of magic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Trying to fool a precognitive is kind of a dumb idea in general.

Even when he's actively trying to get himself assassinated, the best Leto II can do is spend ten thousand years making everyone in the galaxy including his inner circle and the guy he keeps cloning every time he dies desperately want to kill him until someone finally manages it through a ludicrous scheme. Even moreso than the laza tigers.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

AnEdgelord posted:

God Emperor will be made into a full hollywood production and if it isn't Villeneuve is a coward

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also feels like it makes sense that the Tleilaxu and probably Ixians are extremely STEM-brained.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
While they may be the absolute worst at ever pulling off their schemes, the Tleilaxu definitely have one of the coolest names in all of scifi. Funny since Dune is so full of bizarrely normal names like Paul or Jessica.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jeeves posted:

While they may be the absolute worst at ever pulling off their schemes, the Tleilaxu definitely have one of the coolest names in all of scifi. Funny since Dune is so full of bizarrely normal names like Paul or Jessica.

I feel it's a thing with the Biblical themes. Paul being quite the important name in that after all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

jeeves posted:

You're welcome to your opinion and I support you in that, but I don't understand it in the slightest : that name is very clearly just pressing buttons on a keyboard and reads as B''llS'he-eet FanToSy Neim to me.

Herbert accidentally made that one word sound like it could be Nahuatl, but I haven't seen any evidence it was intentional and there's a lot of evidence gesturing to that not being the case.

I have an incredibly low bar for my nerd-fiction names, because that's just the genre, but this doesn't even clear that and would fit just as well in Black Library book.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Axlotl tanks always gives me a chuckle. The bio horror cloning system has a name derived from… axolotls? The cute little lizard guys?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bugblatter posted:

Axlotl tanks always gives me a chuckle. The bio horror cloning system has a name derived from… axolotls? The cute little lizard guys?

They're at least fascinating from a biological perspective in terms of neoteny and limb regeneration, so that one kinda works

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're welcome to your opinion and I support you in that, but I don't understand it in the slightest : that name is very clearly just pressing buttons on a keyboard and reads as B''llS'he-eet FanToSy Neim to me.

Herbert accidentally made that one word sound like it could be Nahuatl, but I haven't seen any evidence it was intentional and there's a lot of evidence gesturing to that not being the case.

I have an incredibly low bar for my nerd-fiction names, because that's just the genre, but this doesn't even clear that and would fit just as well in Black Library book.

What’s Black Library Book? Anyway OP is right that Bene Tleilax/Tleilaxu is one of the best names in Dune, and the whole series is a high water mark for SF names and terms (both the pulpy and the cool ones). I was slow on the uptake that the BT was a paper tiger because I thought there was no way they’d be so lame with a name that cool

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jewmanji posted:

What’s Black Library Book? Anyway OP is right that Bene Tleilax/Tleilaxu is one of the best names in Dune, and the whole series is a high water mark for SF names and terms (both the pulpy and the cool ones). I was slow on the uptake that the BT was a paper tiger because I thought there was no way they’d be so lame with a name that cool

I typo'd and forgot to put in a definite article there ; Black Library is Warhammer's semi-in house publishing arm that vomit 20 books a year about grizzle marines fighting for the emperor in a generically fascist-catholic way.

And you do you, but that name is garbage. It's trying to sound weird to English speakers but it's not actually weird so it's just boring and doesn't fit in with the setting.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ah well I've stayed clear of Warhammer so I can't speak to that. What are some examples you do like (inside out outside of Dune)?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Ah well I've stayed clear of Warhammer so I can't speak to that. What are some examples you do like (inside out outside of Dune)?

You don't miss much. I played Warhammer as a kid so I was adjacent to the books but not a fan and they're 99% shovelware.

Actual good fictional names usually ground their schemes in some real-world thoughts about language to get a consistent set of phonological characteristics. This means generally having a linguist on staff to make a fictional language or already caring enough about language to do that work yourself (hi, Tolkien). Although even then a lot of cowards still just go with "take real world language our audience doesn't speak, make up new words" approach ; Dothraki is just a mix of Turkic and Mongolian, Tolkien's Elvish is really just Finnish, etc.

Off the top of my head, my current top dog is The Expanse because they make some interesting and occasionally subtle world-building choices with the names, GRRM's Westeros is fundamentally a little derpy but I gotta give it 50 points for consistency, Na'vi of all loving things is actually pretty interesting*. Firefly, despite clearly not being planned out, is actually pretty consistent where Chinese is basically some kind of semi-liturgical language/Lingua Franca.

But this is ignoring the ultimate example : China Mieville's Embassytown, which actually has interesting aliens with a different approach to language and its plot does a bunch of cool, interesting things with it. There are major plot points based around the relationship between actual spoken language and the things they represent.

*I don't care about Avatar, but they gave a linguist a lot of money and they had some fun taking a bunch of really, really cool and rare linguistic features and combining them, and I can't fault them because I would've done the same. Yeah let's have VOS word order and a tri-partite case morphology system and throw ejective consonants on top for fun.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I will not every get over Gurm having a character named Uncle Kevin in his dragons and tits show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I will not every get over Gurm having a character named Uncle Kevin in his dragons and tits show.

He literally has Moe, Curly and Larry in there along with half of Sesame Street.

Hence why it's "look it's consistent so technically good, but also I hate it."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

But this is ignoring the ultimate example : China Mieville's Embassytown, which actually has interesting aliens with a different approach to language and its plot does a bunch of cool, interesting things with it. There are major plot points based around the relationship between actual spoken language and the things they represent.

That was such a cool book

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That was such a cool book

Dude is hella divisive, but he legit has some bold ideas and he really takes them to their end points.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’ll add it to my reading list. He’s always been just outside of my reading orbit. Thanks!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Actual good fictional names usually ground their schemes in some real-world thoughts about language to get a consistent set of phonological characteristics. This means generally having a linguist on staff to make a fictional language or already caring enough about language to do that work yourself (hi, Tolkien). Although even then a lot of cowards still just go with "take real world language our audience doesn't speak, make up new words" approach ; Dothraki is just a mix of Turkic and Mongolian, Tolkien's Elvish is really just Finnish, etc.

I'd also throw in the Gene Wolfe approach in Book of the New Sun: have such a staggering vocabulary that it seems like you've made up a language when in fact almost every word is standard English.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Can we talk about how poo poo Richese is compared to IX?

The only thing they manufacture is disappointment.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Can we talk about how poo poo Richese is compared to IX?

The only thing they manufacture is disappointment.

I always assumed they were the children of Ixians who were putting on their parents’ clothes and playing grown up.

They’re like a galactic lemonade stand.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'd also throw in the Gene Wolfe approach in Book of the New Sun: have such a staggering vocabulary that it seems like you've made up a language when in fact almost every word is standard English.

also done by the Commonweal series

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
DUNC DONE
https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1602353509911105537?t=SAcF2K8nEa4D9YC8YbS_uw&s=19

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

That's the unmistakable look of someone about to commit galaxy-wide genocide.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think you mean DUNC DONC

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wafflecopper posted:

That's powerful, but the current title is so good......

Played the board game over the weekend, was some excellent wheels within wheels plotting, ended up with a canonical emperor/harkonnen v atreides/fremen alliance

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Played the board game over the weekend, was some excellent wheels within wheels plotting, ended up with a canonical emperor/harkonnen v atreides/fremen alliance

God I miss having people close to me who like games that are that cut-throat and can still be friends after.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Doot-oot-oot-oot ooooo, dunc donc doot-oot-oot-oot oooooo oooo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

You mean irl? sounds awesome

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

kalel posted:

You mean irl? sounds awesome

That game for real owns, when we first played it we were all sort of worried at first because it seems incredibly complex but after the first turn everything just flows so well and it does an amazing job working the plans within plans/alliances/loving people over stuff into what honestly can be a pretty fast paced game. Really impressive and I totally see why it has such a cult following.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Neo Rasa posted:

That game for real owns, when we first played it we were all sort of worried at first because it seems incredibly complex but after the first turn everything just flows so well and it does an amazing job working the plans within plans/alliances/loving people over stuff into what honestly can be a pretty fast paced game. Really impressive and I totally see why it has such a cult following.

Yeah I had a great time with it. I played as the spacer's guild and opened up by hotdropping a huge force onto Carthag which promptly got obliterated when it turned out the commander was in the Harkonnens' pocket. I recovered somewhat from that but despite being rich as gently caress (other players have to pay the guild every time they land troops from space), didn't have the manpower to dislodge the two strong alliances that were dominating the game. But I was able to bankroll two more-or-less elimated factions (including the Harkonnens) back into the game which were enough to stop any of the big players from achieving a victory condition before the final turn... and the spacer's guild wins if nobody else does by then :agesilaus::hf::homebrew:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would like to see Dune 3

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I would like to see Dune 3

Please.

DUN3, obviously.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DUUC

But with the U and N turned into a three.

Upside down also, apparently

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh great Padishah Emperor Paul Atreides, we gift you this ghola of your good friend Duncan, I present to you, Hayt Dunncann.

2NE MESSIAH

CHILDREN OF DUN3

GOD EMPER4 OF DUNE

HERETICS OF DUN5

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I had a great time with it. I played as the spacer's guild and opened up by hotdropping a huge force onto Carthag which promptly got obliterated when it turned out the commander was in the Harkonnens' pocket. I recovered somewhat from that but despite being rich as gently caress (other players have to pay the guild every time they land troops from space), didn't have the manpower to dislodge the two strong alliances that were dominating the game. But I was able to bankroll two more-or-less elimated factions (including the Harkonnens) back into the game which were enough to stop any of the big players from achieving a victory condition before the final turn... and the spacer's guild wins if nobody else does by then :agesilaus::hf::homebrew:

Hell yeah I love the Spacing Guild in it.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Neo Rasa posted:

2NE MESSIAH

CHILDREN OF DUN3

GOD EMPER4 OF DUNE

HERETICS OF DUN5

CHAPTERH6USE: DUNE

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!