Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

smdh trying to apply reason to the situation and starts out with the implicit assumption that zuck has human emotions and we should understand the situation in terms of what they might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
low_tech_love 24 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: FTX’s financial black hole leaves Binance balking ...

Whenever news like these are discussed here in HN I get flabbergasted by the amount of technical mumbo-jumbo you guys are able to throw around in the comments. It is genuinely impressive how much deep technical knowledge you have about this. I wonder if there is really no other place you could apply this? Like, what is the point of having all this deep technical knowledge about two hundred different fake coins (and their complex economic-engineering interplay) when there isn’t place in the real world even for the largest one?

jkepler 2 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> ... when there isn’t place in the real world even for the largest one?

Uh, go visit El Salvador. Every MacDonalds, every Starbucks, and tons of local businesses accept "the largest one." That's because bitcoin stands apart, in terms of its real decentralization, and therefore its independence and utility. Give it time, and it will become far more useful than it already is. The dollar may eventually refer not to a specific weight of gold (that's what the term 'dollar' originally meant), but to a specific number of satoshis.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 9, 2022

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr.Radar posted:

Uh, go visit El Salvador.

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Bitcoin maximalists shouldn't be sent to El Salvador, they should be sent to goddamned moon sans suit

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ask HN: Do top programmers look forward to staff cuts?
1 point by amichail 23 minutes ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 2 comments
Don't these staff cuts improve the average ability of the programmers left at the company thus making the work more rewarding for top programmers?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

Ask HN: Do top programmers look forward to staff cuts?
1 point by amichail 23 minutes ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 2 comments
Don't these staff cuts improve the average ability of the programmers left at the company thus making the work more rewarding for top programmers?

this is a getfiscal post

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah it makes you definitely more focused and mentally present, much like being chased by a big, large and angry wild animal that could kill or seriously hurt you

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

post hole digger posted:

this is a getfiscal post

I'd like to think so, they certainly have a number of those

[flagged] [dead] Ask HN: Why doesn't Elon sell Twitter to Google who can moderate automatically?
2 points by amichail 5 days ago | flag | vouch | hide | past | favorite | 3 comments
Google probably has the best algorithm and AI people for moderating content automatically.
They could probably do an excellent job of moderating Twitter.

[flagged] [dead] Ask HN: Could Elon use Tesla data (e.g., from car cameras) to enhance Twitter?
1 point by amichail 4 days ago | flag | vouch | hide | past | favorite
And would this be legal provided privacy is taken into account (e.g., no people in the photos/videos, etc.)?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
every single comment thread about layoffs on hn has different people expressing the idea that top performers should/are in favor of layoffs

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
WFHRenaissance 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: A Cypherpunk’s Manifesto (1993)
Piracy cannot be tolerated by any self-respecting regime.
Property rights are the cornerstone of Western democracies.
You either keep liberal democracy (and the market economy for culture and information), or embrace a free commons of information and demarketize culture/info.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fritz posted:

I'd like to think so, they certainly have a number of those

[flagged] [dead] Ask HN: Why doesn't Elon sell Twitter to Google who can moderate automatically?
2 points by amichail 5 days ago | flag | vouch | hide | past | favorite | 3 comments
Google probably has the best algorithm and AI people for moderating content automatically.
They could probably do an excellent job of moderating Twitter.

[flagged] [dead] Ask HN: Could Elon use Tesla data (e.g., from car cameras) to enhance Twitter?
1 point by amichail 4 days ago | flag | vouch | hide | past | favorite
And would this be legal provided privacy is taken into account (e.g., no people in the photos/videos, etc.)?

lmao

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Xik posted:

WFHRenaissance 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: A Cypherpunk’s Manifesto (1993)
Piracy cannot be tolerated by any self-respecting regime.
Property rights are the cornerstone of Western democracies.
You either keep liberal democracy (and the market economy for culture and information), or embrace a free commons of information and demarketize culture/info.

ok I choose demarketization.

or am i supposed to be aghast at that concept?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
yeah this demarketization idea sounds pretty rad

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
hner "accidently" declaring their piss fetish

bhaney 7 hours ago
There are a lot of these kinds of TLDs, and I always find it fun to skim through the root zone file to find more of them.
https://www.internic.net/domain/root.zone
Some other corporate/brand TLDs that exist are .allstate, .capitalone, .cookingchannel, .fedex, .honda, .lplfinancial, .marriott, .nike, .panasonic, .samsung, .statefarm, .toyota, and many more.

andrewxdiamond 5 hours ago
My personal favorite is .diamonds, strictly because it gets me the best personal website domain ever:
https://andrew.diamonds
(My name is Andrew Diamond)

hobs 5 hours ago
Sorry to hear about that, because if you troll the zone files enough you'll find .diamonds is a favorite for piss fetishists

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Plorkyeran posted:

every single comment thread about layoffs on hn has different people expressing the idea that top performers should/are in favor of layoffs

lol what a miserable attitude

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr.Radar posted:

a specific number of satoshis.

ah yes

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
LinuxBender 43 minutes ago [–]

Out of curiosity, how does this compare to mixing diverse cultures of probiotics with short chained fatty acids and injecting them rectally?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: how does this compare to...injecting them rectally?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Uh, go visit El Salvador.

new thread title

mystes
May 31, 2006

DARPA posted:

LinuxBender 43 minutes ago [–]

Out of curiosity, how does this compare to mixing diverse cultures of probiotics with short chained fatty acids and injecting them rectally?

To be fair, when I read "mixing diverse cultures" I was not expecting it to go in that direction

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

cokeandpepsi 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Indigenous groups are using 3D technology to preserve ancient practices

my first thought is that thry could do well making NFTs of these things

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

karmakaze 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: The plague of emoji insertion in French docs

I didn't realize French was written with spaces before colons. It might be time to lose that space, similar to how we don't double space after period.

I'm not saying G.Docs or any editor should dictate how French is written, only being pragmatic if I have to choose between (no space): or unwanted emojis ending up in docs.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rogerkirkness 37 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Yes, absolutely. I have two kids under five at the moment, so the long hours in office requirement might not currently work. But I'd consider taking an engineering IC role in future. Elon is a wartime CEO. Tim Cook is probably the best peacetime CEO active. Working for either would be an extremely interesting experience.

skymast 1 minute ago | prev | next [–]

I would work for him, I would take a cut in pay to work for him. He is a visionary, and visionaries are not always easy to get along with, or anticipate but they do get things done.
would you have worked for Da Vinci? Or the original Tesla?
I would have worked for them for free.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Gravityloss 53 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: EVs are the least reliable vehicle type: Consumer Reports

I've seen the argument that "traditional auto makers" don't "get" how many people think - they concentrate on panel gaps or wind noise or door closing bump noise. Tesla isn't great there, but the Tesla software is good, and what some people call "kids" treat the car more like a smart phone. They don't care if your panel gaps are great - if your infotainment software is very laggy or crashes, it's a low quality car.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Gravityloss 53 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: EVs are the least reliable vehicle type: Consumer Reports

I've seen the argument that "traditional auto makers" don't "get" how many people think - they concentrate on panel gaps or wind noise or door closing bump noise. Tesla isn't great there, but the Tesla software is good, and what some people call "kids" treat the car more like a smart phone. They don't care if your panel gaps are great - if your infotainment software is very laggy or crashes, it's a low quality car.

LudwigNagasena 2 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Panel gaps don’t even matter from a pragmatic standpoint.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

A bad post, a good reply, and a galaxy-brained rebuttal:

birracerveza 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

IMO it's the future of finance because you own your coins. Nothing else aside from crypto allows me to do so in digital form. You are free to disagree, even if you think it's digital beanie babies or whatever. Luckily in this case you can vote with your wallet, as I did.

horsawlarway 1 hour ago | unvote | root | parent | next [–]

Real question - why do you believe that "owning" your own coins matters?
Further - why do you believe that ownership is related at all to the fact that you can keep ledger entry with your wallet on it?

Ownership !== ledger entries. Ownership is a shared concept enforced by social constructs. It is not a loving technical matter solved by a ledger.

EX: You sign a contract to send me 1 bitcoin in exchange for my car. I give you the car, but you never send me the bitcoin.

Who owns the coin? Because the ledger is going to let you spend it, but the courts are going to give me your poo poo. Same in reverse - I get your coin and then drive off with the car. Do I own the coin now? Because again - the ledger says yes, but our concept of ownership includes the idea of dispute and fraud - and the ledger doesn't loving know or care.

Basically - your idea of "ownership" being limited to "my wallet, my coins" is both limited, childish, and insufficient.

birracerveza 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

You're still bound by meat-space and the rules of the universe. If someone gets in your house and beats you with a $5 wrench until you give him your seed phrase, you're still relying on the police to catch the thief, ledger or not.

However, you're also not bound by arbitrary rules by arbitrary people that may or may not hold their end of the deal. YOU own your Bitcoin, and until YOU send it to someone it's YOURS. On the other hand, money in the bank is "yours", but they can freeze your money anytime for whatever reason, or change the terms because whatever.

"It doesn't happen", sure. Until it does. And fyi "then it means you deserved it" is an excuse that reeks of first-world privilege.

Even if Bitcoin won't become the world currency, the concept of "ownership" can be useful elsewhere, especially games. Lots of games have "gems" or whatever currency the game uses. But you don't "own" these "gems", they're just a number on a database that you paid the company for. Not unlike Bitcoin, yes, but you have the added bonus of being able to exchange them freely. It's a net upgrade. The same applies to skins: you pay Epic Games for a Fortnite skin but... it's stuck there. You cannot trade it because you don't "own" it. With NFTs you do. I'd spend $10 on a skin if they gave me an NFT that I could eventually sell instead of a database entry. Out of the two options, the Postgres database is more of a scam if you think about it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

automatic6131 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

>I literally _just_ got my captital out this morning. That. was. close.

There can be clawbacks for anyone getting their money back within 90 days of bankruptcy filings. I wouldn't spend it all just yet.

exabrial 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Then I'll pull it out as cash and they can fight me for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr.Radar posted:

exabrial 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

Then I'll pull it out as cash and they can fight me for it.

narrator:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"What are they gonna do, sue me?" -- quote from man sued

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

doph 8 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Give the voice controls a try! It's the only way I adjust my mirrors.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: musk summoning remaining employees to hq on short notice

jmeister 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

No your comment shows how coddled techies are. Lawyers, bankers, consultants keep themselves available for such calls over any major client/deal, leave alone a singular event in company history.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

danielmarkbruce 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Exec who cleaned up Enron calls FTX mess 'unpreced...

I don't think he's been involved in a startup. Usually people like this get involved in big bankruptcies. Usually startups aren't big bankruptcies.

Most startups work like this(minus the fraud). It is what it is. Approving things via chat is completely valid, for example. Several bot products have flows for approving expenses etc. All kinds of things are approved via chat these days.

danielmarkbruce 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Exec who cleaned up Enron calls FTX mess 'unpreced...

What does "follow the basic rules of accounting" mean? Have rigorous systems in place such that you can close your books within a day? See a real time view of your financial position at any minute? Show a set of financials which meet GAAP requirements but are hand done in excel and complete 8 weeks after qtr end? Get audited?

Are you in the finance function at your startup? I'll guess no, and if you go ask someone there if it feels rigorous they'll laugh.

danielmarkbruce 2 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> Yes, I am. I'm in engineering but I have to work closely with our accounting team to make sure all the numbers add up and, importantly, that everything is auditable, and I built the systems to do this.

Then you are almost certainly an outlier, and it's nice to see. If I may ask, how old is the company? While the accounting situation at FTX appears to have been a disaster, it just doesn't seem out of the ordinary for a 2 year old company.

What does negative $8 billion mean in the context of double entry? Matt says clever sounding things that don't add up sometimes..

danielmarkbruce 2 hours ago | parent | next [–]

> The word "startup" should not serve as a general-purpose "get out of responsibility free" card.

Mostly agree with the "should". But the guy saying it's "unprecedented" is miles off. There is plenty of precedent at young companies, he's just not aware of them, and they (almost?) all had a smaller balance sheet.

yes, I'm sure an exchange holding tens of billions of dollars of customer funds (from the general public) should be held the to same standard as the latest fart app company that got a few million in vc cash thrown at them

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 18, 2022

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

DrankSinatra fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 18, 2022

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
hello hn, let me tell you how a startup works:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
it's a start up! with 20 years of tech debt. and no knowledge transfer. and you don't get equity. anyhow have fun

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Ask HN: Why do some people not communicate clearly?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol, thank you, this made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn distilled.