Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The_Franz posted:

Fun fact: the Chex Quest CDs were pressed for free by AOL, because they were allowed to include their 50 free hour demo on them

The days when you could practically build a house out of all of those "10/20/30/40/50 free hours" AOL disks and CDs. I'd love to know just how many cubic meters of landfill are consumed by all of that e-waste that will probably never decompose. At least you could reuse the floppy disks, the CDs just went straight into the trash or were destroyed in creative ways (drill, hammer, targets, etc…)

i would often just ask a store if i could have their little display case on the counter full of 20 or 30 sleeves and a handful of places let me just have 'em. pretty fun to fling around / use as coasters / impromptu mirrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i still have this. you could play it on xbox and xbox 360, poo poo was ahead of its time

it was better than it had any right to be

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
BBS's were the poo poo back in the day. I forget how I found my very first one, but eventually ended up finding about warez scene stuff on them. Found some boards that required you to know what a bunch of scene group acronyms were to apply, and one even called to verify I wasn't a cop which was funny since I was like 12, tho I have always had a deep voice. Playing door games like LoRD and big multiplayer games of Doom and stuff through them with friends was so amazing before everyone had access to the internet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

freshman year of college we cleaned compusa's entire stockpile of aol cds out for a midnight hallway disc war in the engineering building.

that group of friends destroyed a *lot* of hardware at school. in retrospect the janitors must have hated us because there's no way we got all the bits of electronics that flew

our floor of engineers my freshman year did like 5000$ of damage to the dorm according to our ra.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The_Franz posted:

I'd love to know just how many cubic meters of landfill are consumed by all of that e-waste that will probably never decompose. At least you could reuse the floppy disks, the CDs just went straight into the trash or were destroyed in creative ways (drill, hammer, targets, etc…)

lol my first job in the local press was on the photo desk, but having some small knowledge of 'online' I was shifted role to their new 'Internet' department for the local paper in maybe 1996? The place had a large staff, and the word got around we were starting 'Internet' for the paper and a lot of folks got the idea that the 'Free Internet Hours' CDs you got shoved through your home mailbox etc every day would be of use to us; we ended up with a double stack of CDs floor to ceiling in a corner of the office.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i was too young and too dumb to understand bbses, but i spent way too much time in aol chatrooms at way too young an age

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

is there a yospos bbs? seems like a project that would have minor interest for a few months until we all get bored and get really into emulating transistor radios or everyone gets their ham license or whatever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there's a yosbbs thread for the one jony put up a while back.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Midjack posted:

there's a yosbbs thread for the one jony put up a while back.

serves me right for never leaving my bookmarks, then. thanks. :tipshat:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

is there a yosbbs that’s actually live though?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Zamujasa posted:

i would often just ask a store if i could have their little display case on the counter full of 20 or 30 sleeves and a handful of places let me just have 'em. pretty fun to fling around / use as coasters / impromptu mirrors

when you're being hunted by medusa

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I haven't had a board up in a couple of years. it usually turns into LoRD hosting, we all beat it and gently caress Violet and then it peters out

one iteration i tuned so much that you could actually browse yospos and read and post straight from the board under your SA username

anyways BBSes were great once you got on the QWK packet train. you'd dial in after school or whatever, play your turns on the games, then download a zipped pack of all the new messages since your last visit. You'd then hang up and read everything and compose replies in your qwk reader program, zip up your replies and either dial back in to upload them, or just wait for the next day when you'd do another upload/download cycle.

it made for more thoughtful conversations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKCifxEBLHY&t=455s

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The_Franz posted:

The days when you could practically build a house out of all of those "10/20/30/40/50 free hours" AOL disks and CDs. I'd love to know just how many cubic meters of landfill are consumed by all of that e-waste that will probably never decompose. At least you could reuse the floppy disks, the CDs just went straight into the trash or were destroyed in creative ways (drill, hammer, targets, etc…)

they gave those away in college, while we had campus internet (???), so we used them to decorate dorm doors

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 13, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A fun thread:

https://twitter.com/GerryMcBride/status/1591907714208518145

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Had one of these. It fuckin ruled

e: the nokia not the sony

https://twitter.com/GerryMcBride/status/1592138322360549377?s=20&t=UcauGnJAdlvm5XL2RCA08w

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

most of those owned hard

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

most of those owned hard

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i had that nokia -- 3650, I think.

keypad was total bullshit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

most of those owned hard

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i had that nokia -- 3650, I think.

keypad was total bullshit.

I got good enough with it that I could no-look T9 text with it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i traded mine for an sony ericsson t610. now that was the loving peak of cell phone design

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
had a sony w580 and it whipped rear end

peak 2000s phone. java games. funky (yet really well made) slider mech. cloying proprietary adapters everywhere. still huge battery life

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i traded mine for an sony ericsson t610. now that was the loving peak of cell phone design

i had this phone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nudgenudgetilt posted:

:colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i used one of those until 2007 and only dropped it because verizon wouldn't let me use it any more

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

peak 2000s phone. java games. funky (yet really well made) slider mech. cloying proprietary adapters everywhere. still huge battery life

hell yes

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i carried that t610 with a sony clie for years, doing hscsd dialup to a local isp. eventually switched to a treo and felt way less cool, only having one device on me.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

god, that thing was sick in its time

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isync over usb and bluetooth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

god, that thing was sick in its time

it should surprise no one that i have several of these. Honestly to me the sony clies were the best non-phone palm devices

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol god i had so many palmos devices starting with the pilot pro and ending with the m515, which is still around somewhere. i think the internal battery is dead though

loved that form factor

idk why i had them even, i didn't even really do much with em

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

it should surprise no one that i have several of these. Honestly to me the sony clies were the best non-phone palm devices

unquestionably, i had some handspring poo poo when palm was flailing around and i was always jealous of my buddies with clies

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Expandable memory! Via Sony Memory Sticks!

And the proprietary headphone adapter (YEARS ahead of Apple) would fail after six months, every time, guaranteed.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

And the proprietary headphone adapter (YEARS ahead of Apple) would fail after six months, every time, guaranteed.

hey, there's precisely two mobile phone breakthroughs i will give apple 100% credit for: they put a 3.5mm jack on their mass-market phone at a time when that was otherwise incredibly niche, and they made a mobile web browser that worked. everything else i can take or leave, but they get credit for those.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hey, there's precisely two mobile phone breakthroughs i will give apple 100% credit for: they put a 3.5mm jack on their mass-market phone at a time when that was otherwise incredibly niche, and they made a mobile web browser that worked. everything else i can take or leave, but they get credit for those.

wild that apple bet so hard on webapps initially. probably the only reason a decent mobile browser exists today.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think a working web browser in your pocket was and is the real killer app for smartphones though. from there everything else flows.

i also as always note that the headphone jack rapidly disappeared when they were into iphones without jobs input. beginning of the end.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Doom Mathematic posted:

I still maintain that memory sticks were the ideal form factor for flash ram. Just big enough to be easy to hold and grasp, not bigger than they needed to be, satisfying click on insertion, just A+ industrial design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i had a motorola l2 slvr for like 3 yrs. no camera, but the thing was an absolute fuckin tank. i stg i dropped that thing almost daily, but it didn't see more than a few scratches.

before that, i had a Nokia 3300b that i bought on ebay, but it never quite worked right with my cell carrier at the time, and i was a teenager who didn't know how to fix that kinda stuff. i bought it so i could listen to music, but it only fit like five songs lol. i was v disappointed, but i wish i still had it. it was kinda rad looking!