Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Laser cutter's kerf is enough for tabs and box joints and the like.

Whatever you can work quickly in and outputs in a format your laser software can understand is the best program for the job, i tend to just use 2D CAD for laser designs since imo figuring out my own joints manually is less hassle than dealing with Fusion's interface but it seems like you've taken to it, so you're probably golden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Made a thing at work. Got a production job, at least for us, and designed and made a pyramid to run 3 parts at once. It didn't crash and I'm very happy.

It used 100% of the machine travel. A axis can do -110 to +30 so it's setup at a 20 degree angle to allow 90 degrees on the back side.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Hell yes. We’re getting our vf2 with the trt rotary axis on Thursday and I have a stack of 5th axis vises ready to mount up to it. We’re 100% prototypes in our shop though, so I never get to actually optimize a toolpath/setup for 100% efficiency.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's 99% one offs here too so this is a fun one.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Thanks guys! I guess since i'm picking up fusion pretty well i'll stick with it. I've gotten this far, im really happy:

my google search history is like an afternoon of "how do i do x in fusion360" lol. now that im kinda getting into it though it all makes sense. CAD is really neat.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

Made a thing at work. Got a production job, at least for us, and designed and made a pyramid to run 3 parts at once. It didn't crash and I'm very happy.

It used 100% of the machine travel. A axis can do -110 to +30 so it's setup at a 20 degree angle to allow 90 degrees on the back side.

That's awesome. Those trunnion tables are really cool.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

queeb posted:

Thanks guys! I guess since i'm picking up fusion pretty well i'll stick with it. I've gotten this far, im really happy:

my google search history is like an afternoon of "how do i do x in fusion360" lol. now that im kinda getting into it though it all makes sense. CAD is really neat.

Hell yeah! It’s coming along great. Awesome work for your first time in.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

my google search history is like an afternoon of "how do i do x in fusion360" lol

Don't tell anyone but I've been using solidworks for like 10 years and I still do that at least every couple days.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Don't tell anyone but I've been using solidworks for like 10 years and I still do that at least every couple days.

software engineering 101

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sorry if this is unrelated, im just having tons of fun messing around in this.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Share that project!! I think most everyone in this thread is doing work stuff. All I’ve been doing in SOLIDWORKS lately is prepping for an Advanced Part Modeling class I’m running next week :v:

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

queeb posted:

That outer layer really makes this look nice.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

queeb posted:

owns.

if you want it to look really fancy, get a couple contrasting colors of thin wood stock or the like to make those layers out of

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

queeb posted:

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I’ve been using AutoCAD since r14 and I’m still learning how to do new and better things. Google makes it way easier.

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 4, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Process question in Fusion. I've got an assembly with about 100 different components. There are a few mounting plates that have evolved as the design has, but the plates are still present. Maybe they have a new notch, or a hole, or whatever. But certain things, like a bearing block, were inserted when it was still design 0.1, it's now design 336. I just changed a hole size that was referenced off that bearing inserted at design 0.1 and Fusion flips the gently caress out, re-renders back to design 0.1, then has to rebuild everything once I finish. There's a cascade of warnings as a bunch of poo poo isn't there anymore.

It feels wonky and like I'm doing something wrong. Am I missing something?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Kinda hard to tell from the post alone. One of the big issues is replacing a feature. If you delete the sketch geometry that created a hole and draw it somewhere else everything referenced to it breaks. It was say hole 01 and now it's hole 02 and ????? Warning time.

Change dimensions or delete constraints it remembers it makes hole 01 and everything's cool.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hey friends all my loving around produced this and im really happy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

queeb posted:

hey friends all my loving around produced this and im really happy.

That looks great! Congrats

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ok apologies for the photo, this is a... Photo of YouTube on TV of a print out of a cell phone photo of a computer screen

What is this software, and which view is he using

Kind of looks like fusion 360 but they all look the same to me

The actual item in question is a specialty go kart leaf sprung front axle if you're curious

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Ok apologies for the photo, this is a... Photo of YouTube on TV of a print out of a cell phone photo of a computer screen

What is this software, and which view is he using

Kind of looks like fusion 360 but they all look the same to me

The actual item in question is a specialty go kart leaf sprung front axle if you're curious

I think it's Autodesk Inventor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah that .iam file extension on the left, seems so.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hadlock posted:

Photo of YouTube on TV of a print out of a cell phone photo of a computer screen

:psyboom:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

More of the menus/buttons less the part and we can probably be sure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

looks to me like an older version of inventor

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Finished off my first CAD to laser project! Extremely happy with it for a first attempt. The tabs are a wee bit loose so I'll have to play around with tolerances but poo poo, im proud.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

looks to me like an older version of inventor

As someone unlucky enough to use inventor for work, yes, it's inventor.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

Finished off my first CAD to laser project! Extremely happy with it for a first attempt. The tabs are a wee bit loose so I'll have to play around with tolerances but poo poo, im proud.

[rad project pics]

That's a helluva first project!

And it's clearances you want to play around with. Tolerances are what makes clearances necessary.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Inventor is Autodesk's stab at competing with/against Solidworks? Interesting

My guess on why it's 2012 edition is either a) that's the last version that was fully crackable b) the version he gets his drawing from an oil and gas supplier (also maybe because of A) or both

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

So Inventor is Autodesk's stab at competing with/against Solidworks? Interesting

My guess on why it's 2012 edition is either a) that's the last version that was fully crackable b) the version he gets his drawing from an oil and gas supplier (also maybe because of A) or both

Yea it's the 3d modeling companion to AutoCAD.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

I really hope nobody has to inspect an actual part against that

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The guy designing is also the fabricator

I had another part from him where I ended up, uh, re-tapping a hole manually through an aluminum housing using a bolt with the same thread pitch

This is all micro batch stuff, I think he's sold like 200 of the front axles and they're designed to work with a wheel only manufactured in Thailand because internet

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

queeb posted:

Those details are GREAT! The shingles and wood grain are fantastic. Great work!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

NewFatMike posted:

Those details are GREAT! The shingles and wood grain are fantastic. Great work!
thanks so much. Actually proud of myself considering i am completely not artistic lol

im goin crazy with cad and my laser cutter now, im addicted.

(i dont have any scifi minis lol)

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

queeb posted:

thanks so much. Actually proud of myself considering i am completely not artistic lol

im goin crazy with cad and my laser cutter now, im addicted.

(i dont have any scifi minis lol)

What laser did you get?

I have been jonesing for one ever since about 2009 but the hobby ones never seemed worth it back then.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Glowforge basic, super happy with it so far, cuts 1/8 MDF like butter. If I can generate a decent amount of sales on MDF stuff I might look at an omtech for something more heavy duty and stronger

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Very nice clean cuts, I usually end up with a fair amount of scorching to clean off on MDF. Laser cutters definitely get addictive once you get a whiff of the sheer range of stuff they can be made to do

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

queeb posted:

Glowforge basic, super happy with it so far, cuts 1/8 MDF like butter. If I can generate a decent amount of sales on MDF stuff I might look at an omtech for something more heavy duty and stronger

Will it do acrylic? If you can do up to ~6mm/.25in you can do all sorts of fun stuff.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah it says it will so that definitely open the doors to stuff. my head is spinning with all the things i could do with this haha.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah I believe it’s a CO2 laser which should be able to do glass and acrylic fine.

There’s also the Flux Beam Box series which I’ve had my eye on for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Any thoughts or advice on textbooks or technical guides on GD&T, ISO fit classes and tolerances, and tolerancing in general? I've been stumbling my way through it with acceptable results for a while but tired of not quite knowing what I'm doing and wanting to actually learn to do it right.

I figure this is the place to ask but will probably crosspost in the blacksmithing/metalworking thread as well.