Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

I still maintain that memory sticks were the ideal form factor for flash ram. Just big enough to be easy to hold and grasp, not bigger than they needed to be, satisfying click on insertion, just A+ industrial design

of course, everything else about them sucked dog balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
they were pretty much the same thing as og sd/mmc, but more rectangular. loved that click tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

they were pretty much the same thing as og sd/mmc, but more rectangular. loved that click tho

yeah the SD cards are too small imo. Memory sticks were the same width but like twice as long.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
then there was the infamous n-gage

supposedly inspired by goatse!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 15, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SUS MAX Scientific :amogus:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

palm pre

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

o7

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

webos was... something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
was? is!

i have a three week old television that runs webos.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

well this thread accelerated quickly into the present

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
before the iphone (and before itunes) phones (and mp3 playing softwares) could be so loving cool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

was? is!

lol aww lil baby tv running linux already

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my senior year of high school i had a cassiopeia be-300 as my mp3 player. hooked that beast up in my 79 monte carlo via cassette adapter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had one of the first 'smartphones' and its pretty well memory holed. neopoint np1000

i remember it being the coolest thing on earth that one night i was riding shotgun while my gf drove us down to fort smith and i got on the internet with a serial cable to my laptop from it!!!!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i remember it being the coolest thing on earth that one night i was riding shotgun while my gf drove us down to fort smith and i got on the internet with a serial cable to my laptop from it!!!!

i did this with some kyocera. we had a family vacation to florida and i was on irc from the back of the van any time we were on night/weekend billing. 14.4kilobits of fury

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it was also fun to roll up outside a friend's house and message them on icq to say you were outside. totally normal 17 year old rolling around town with a laptop, power inverter, and cell cables strung all over the passenger seat.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it was also fun to roll up outside a friend's house and message them on icq to say you were outside. totally normal 17 year old rolling around town with a laptop, power inverter, and cell cables strung all over the passenger seat.

*ahem* WarDriving :mmmhmm:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

*ahem* WarDriving :mmmhmm:

oh that came later. wifi was basically nonexistent anywhere i lived until college

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i had one of the first 'smartphones' and its pretty well memory holed. neopoint np1000

i remember seeing those in stores but i don't think i ever played with one. what did it run?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao kismet, netstumbler, and figuring out which pcmcia card was most compatible with your linux laptop. will you choose orinoco gold, orinoco silver, or a prism2 chipset?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

i remember seeing those in stores but i don't think i ever played with one. what did it run?

no clue. i think a palm fork. the best browsing you could get on it was WAP

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

no clue. i think a palm fork. the best browsing you could get on it was WAP

hmm interesting. i remember being so stoked i was able to set up a WAP proxy on the v60 lol

of course it was pretty much effectively useless. i used it a couple of times to get info to cheat in debates during school though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao kismet, netstumbler, and figuring out which pcmcia card was most compatible with your linux laptop. will you choose orinoco gold, orinoco silver, or a prism2 chipset?

airport cards were all orinocos :coal:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Trumpet Cumsock

S-tier username, shamefully overlooked.

Jonny 290 posted:

was? is!

TV...

Web...

WebTV!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

yeah the SD cards are too small imo. Memory sticks were the same width but like twice as long.

and they were purple, which increases their cyberpunk factor by like 300%

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

Beeftweeter posted:

airport cards were all orinocos :coal:

all airport cards were orinoco *golds*. also turns out the only difference between a silver and gold was firmware. also also turns out if you put a silver in an ibook's internal slot (by leaving the case off and finagling poo poo) you could run a firmware update that flashed it into an orinoco gold.

a department at my university saved a bunch of money buying silvers in bulk then had a student flashing them to gold on his ibook.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't believe this story because why would anyone ever willingly go to fort smith

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cause i was playin a ~~~~~~ house party ~~~~~~ there

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

rotor posted:

o7

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Jonny 290 posted:

ewww, cables? IR modem connection FTW!

just don’t move anything even a little or you’ll break line of sight

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Jonny 290 posted:

i once went to a lovely rave in the ft chaffee barracks, was that u jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell might have been

i played some parties out in the loving _sticks_

try drivin fayetteville to texarkana, playing a 2hr dnb set at 1am, and then just getting in the car and driving home. jfc so unsafe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

A PAJAMA JAMMY JAM!!

kaboofa
Sep 13, 2004
Kaboofa

This made me remember the AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN). Playing nethack and IRCing on the train through the SSH client was rad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

try drivin fayetteville to texarkana, playing a 2hr dnb set at 1am, and then just getting in the car and driving home. jfc so unsafe

giorgio moroder has some similar stories about driving like four hours for a 30 minute set on the other side of germany and then sleeping in his car afterwards.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
funy tech poo poo i just remembered: pioneer 600s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

A PAJAMA JAMMY JAM!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUFZYXrSr4&t=40s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Idk where Kid & Play are today but i hope theyre happy and healthy

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

lol god i had so many palmos devices starting with the pilot pro and ending with the m515, which is still around somewhere. i think the internal battery is dead though

loved that form factor

idk why i had them even, i didn't even really do much with em

hell yeah. still the best PIM ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bring back graffiti, i say