Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That sounds nice, I wonder what a deg is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

rndmnmbr posted:

I have one knee that I have banged up, broken, dislocated, and shredded ligaments in so many times that the last time I went to the doctor, she literally handed me the paperwork for social security disability and told me to look into it while I could still walk.

When I imagined myself at 42, it was not hobbling around on a cane wishing doctor still gave out opiates like candy.

Wife is 35 and right now her head is technically not attached to her spine :v: been told to expect her to be admitted to reinforce everything on Tuesday.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I worked with a guy who had removed a transmission's pan and was trying to pry out the output seal with a screwdriver and ended up punching the machined lip of the trans case. Severed the tendon of his middle finger at the knuckle. Had to have surgery to reattach it and was put on phone/customer service/estimate duty while healing. He was so useless at even that basic poo poo that he was fired. That guy was just a standard, run of the mill dumbass. I miss the comedic relief sometimes though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man we've all barked knuckles when the goddamn bolt finally breaks loose, but that really takes the cake.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Arrath posted:

Man we've all barked knuckles when the goddamn bolt finally breaks loose, but that really takes the cake.

I was just thinking the same thing, I'm minus a chunk of flesh right now at my first knuckle on my index finger from a similar injury, a really really annoying spot, but yeah no longer gonna complain about it. Ooof.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
...i should buy some more gloves, and not worry about getting them dirty like i normally do

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raluek posted:

...i should buy some more gloves, and not worry about getting them dirty like i normally do

I have like six pairs. Some I keep clean for stuff like moving furniture, others are nasty as hell for swapping tires. It's always worth buying a new pair if you need the protection.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They don't have the best dexterity, but I fuckin love welding gloves.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My job supplied some anti impact/crush gloves with big rear end plastic Cardassian neck ridges on the fingers and knuckles. Not very precise, but they do the job.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So this thread took a bit of a turn towards the :kstare:

Worst I've done is probably dropping a ratchet on my face and giving myself a fat lip.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

harbor freight has totally adequate mechanic's gloves for like 5 dollars a pair. buy a bunch of sets and just don't worry about ruining them.

https://www.harborfreight.com/safety/gloves/hi-vis-mechanics-gloves-large-64185.html

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Worst I've done is probably dropping a ratchet on my face and giving myself a fat lip.

[thousand yard stare]

. . .

[ten thousand yard stare]

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cursedshitbox posted:

[thousand yard stare]

. . .

I was under the front of the Nova turning... something. Hand slipped off the ratchet, ratchet fell off the nut, ratchet bounced off my face. Pretty good trick.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've set myself on fire a few times but like it was no big deal.

Just took a salt tablet and walked it off pretty much.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

NoWake posted:

My late 30's "oh, I guess this just hurts all the time now"

Well as part of my ongoing shitfight with employers regarding not putting me directly back in a role that injured me with zero modifications to said role, I had an appointment with an occupational GP regarding the bursitis in my left shoulder.

What he told me was that there’s a particular type of genetic condition in some people that means soft tissue injures just don’t heal- they’ll calm down and be less inflamed and irritated, but not ever fully heal. Most people with a bursitis will take it easy, do the physio, take the painkillers and within 6 months it’s all healed and gone.

We discussed me and when I mentioned that the left shoulder that developed a bursitis in 2019 was still a problem, the right shoulder that got a bursitis in 2016 was still a problem, the knees that I over extended and stretched the quadriceps tendons on falling down a cliff in 2008 still play up and lock up when it gets cold, plus my fathers shoulder bursitis that he got in 2012 hasn’t healed, his response was pretty much that I was one of the lucky ones with that genetic condition and this was it for the rest of my life. Realistically there’s not much more we can do medically for me- we can do physio to relieve the symptoms, corticosteroid injections if it gets really bad, there’s an option of surgery to ablate the bone and make more space for the bursitis to reduce the pressure off the tendons, but there’s a good chance of the bursitis just swelling into the new space made by the bone ablation and still impinging the tendon…

So basically the only way I can continue to work is to have the freedom to chop and change what I’m doing at a moments notice to suit what my shoulders are doing- i can do hard physical work like putting in a fence post with a shovel and crowbar, but I have to be able to say “ok, shoulder is not happy, I’m gonna go sit in the office doing computer work for a bit” or have the ability to take a day off physical work and just do office work or driving around etc to give the shoulder a rest, which is what my job as a ranger at forestry let me do.

Now I’m fighting with the idiots at National Parks to get them to realise all of this and find me a role that gives me those abilities

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
My dad almost lost fingat with a wedding ring jumping a fence at work so once I started being around any kind of powered equipment I replaced my wedding band with a silicone one.

My favorite fingat story is not mine, but belongs to the man who did the tonsillectomy on both my brother and myself. He had no thumb on one hand. The way he explained it was that he was riding western with the bridle wrapped around his hand when he got thrown, horse took off, the usual. But it pulled his thumb off and literally every piece of connective tissue with it all the way to his shoulder. Like a whole little spooky bundle of tendons and nerves and poo poo just VWOOP across the field bouncing off his saddle.

drat good surgeon though, even with the little flipper baby hand.

mischief fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 12, 2022

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So this thread took a bit of a turn towards the :kstare:

i dropped a starter off a lifted truck directly onto my face. i thought there was one bolt still left and just let go, POW right in the schnozz. Only the 5th time i've broken it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

mischief posted:

My dad almost lost fingat with a wedding ring jumping a fence at work so once I started being around any kind of powered equipment I replaced my wedding band with a silicone one.

My favorite fingat story is not mine, but belongs to the man who did the tonsillectomy on both my brother and myself. He had no thumb on one hand. The way he explained it was that he was riding western with the bridle wrapped around his hand when he got thrown, horse took off, the usual. But it pulled his thumb off and literally every piece of connective tissue with it all the way to his shoulder. Like a whole little spooky bundle of tendons and nerves and poo poo just VWOOP across the field bouncing off his saddle.

Awwwwww hell naw

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

sharkytm posted:

:barf: huuuuah :barf:

Never look up "degloving injury" on image search.

That search gets extra spicy if you add the word "penoscrotal" :stonk:.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JoshGuitar posted:

That search gets extra spicy if you add the word "penoscrotal" :stonk:.
Misread that as "pentacostal", I think my brain was trying to save me.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
....but does it balance?

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

wrong thread — that’s awesome

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mischief posted:

I can’t wear rings on my fingers. I’ve seen electricians get burnt, machinists/wood workers loose fingers, mechanics drop them down an intake, welders shock/burn themselves. At this point I don’t even want this risk.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

On some Netflix show a couple got matching permenant bracelets. There's no clasp, the chain gets spot welded together. Gf asked me if I would consider getting something like that, and acted like I was being a worry wart when I explained how it was a safety hazard in my line of work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That sounds like a great idea that they thought long and hard about

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's only as permanent as the nearest pair of bolt cutters assuming neither of them work with machinery

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was under the front of the Nova turning... something. Hand slipped off the ratchet, ratchet fell off the nut, ratchet bounced off my face. Pretty good trick.

Re: non-horrific car-related injuries: I was once on my back under a car changing the oil when I had to sneeze. In my mind, I planned on sneezing and then continuing my work. I forgot the involuntary convulsion that's part of the whole sneeze experience; I bounced my forehead off the subframe, into the concrete floor, and then back into the subframe again like a ping-pong ball. Explaining the marks later elicited a bunch of giggles.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

cursedshitbox posted:

[thousand yard stare]

. . .

"ow gently caress" *walk away mad* *reconsider my choices in life* *get back to work*

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

wesleywillis posted:

I've set myself on fire a few times but like it was no big deal.

Just took a salt tablet and walked it off pretty much.

I did that once while welding. Put the brake cleaner soaked rag right next to me and lit that on fire and like the genius I am flailed around with it and lit my hair on fire. Not too bad but big adrenaline moment.

The worst pain I've probably inflicted on myself was smashing my fingernail hammering something on the IH. I hit it so hard it instantly turned purple. I couldn't speak for a few minutes. The throbbing didn't stop until I drilled a hole in my nail and let the blood fly, shot out from all the pressure. Immediately felt better though.

I wish I never read that horse thumb ripping off story, that's gonna ruin a day or two for me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
This topic comin about eh?

My first rover cut my right hand on the top side across the right two metacarpals down to the metacarpals and back to the carpal bones. That scar is still there.
Same hand. like 15 ish. Cleaning a life. Old timer told me not to slip. I slipped. Cut it down to the bone. Severed a bunch of important poo poo. Took a few years before it was working anywhere near correctly. That scar is still there.

Same. loving. Hand. I'm surprised I didn't lose a couple fingers when someone helping me load a F350 frame I bought from them, dropped the engine crane's cylinder without telling me. Pinching said hand between the front half and back half of the frame. That. Hurt.

Lefty! Drilling out the mounting bolt holes for some brake modifications on the truck without a vise. I was holding the brake part in one hand, drilling with the other. Drill caught the part, pulled my thumb into the bit. hosed up the nail and cuticle. I went out and bought yet another lovely HF vise despite continuing to break the things its safer than that bullshit. The cuticle is still messed up but the nail is ok.

Helping some toolbag out. Dropped a scissor jack on my foot. Lost the toenail on my big toe. Trephinated it with a soldering iron. Wear proper loving boots. The nail never did regrow correctly.

The loving truck almost took out one of my eyes last year doing a road side engine swap when it dropped an engine mount bolt into my face at night so I didn't see the bolt falling off the magnetic plate it was in. Had a nice shiner for like a week. Wear loving safety glasses.

Welding fires? yeah that's common. Setting hair on fire? yeah that's also common. Why do you think I'm bald now?

Bashed knuckle scars have bashed knuckle scars on them.

I bang my knees, elbows, and head on so much poo poo I get raised eyebrows from doctors about 'self harm'. No you loving putz, my mental physical form is like 4'10" and I'm very much more than a foot loving bigger than that in every dimension and three times as heavy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I can't even finish reading that post

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Anyway, we're hiking and come across a shallow ravine with a log fallen across it. That's some storybook poo poo, you have to walk across the log, right? So we did. Friend with the katana plants it in the ground to use as leverage when he steps up onto the log, but his planted foot slips in the mud and he slides down.

When I got to this part, I thought he was going to have one leg come down on either side of it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

cursedshitbox posted:

…last year doing a road side engine swap…

I did not think I would read these words together ever

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This thread went 0-100 real quick :wtf:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Work smarter not hurter

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

namlosh posted:

For a short while I worked at a pallet warehouse operated by a company that used to be a trucking company. One story by the old workers that stuck was a head gasket repair done in the middle of Kazakhstan desert. A suitable head gasket material was cardboard box, lasted until the next bigger town.

The company rec room still had posters from their glory stays, like modern European trucks on a road in a Kazakh desert. A "road" being the tire tracks in the desert sand.

The weirdest feature of the warehouse was all the floor space taken by a bunch of fancy leather furniture between the stacks of pallets. The company was storing the furniture for the US embassy in Moscow. In Helsinki. I guess that is the closest to Russia you would dare to leave that kind of furniture unattended.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrath posted:

On some Netflix show a couple got matching permenant bracelets. There's no clasp, the chain gets spot welded together. Gf asked me if I would consider getting something like that, and acted like I was being a worry wart when I explained how it was a safety hazard in my line of work.

They're delicate enough to cut with scissors. I have one and it could definitely be popped off with less effort than an event wristband.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

namlosh posted:

whomst amongst us hasnt done something like that? lol

well, for me it was in a cul de sac behind my aunt and uncle's house, but it was still done in the street so imo it counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Raluek posted:

whomst amongst us hasnt done something like that? lol

well, for me it was in a cul de sac behind my aunt and uncle's house, but it was still done in the street so imo it counts

i haven't done a full blown engine swap on the side of the road, but i have replaced a trans, driveshaft and rear axle (all at the same time) on the interstate in Florida about 20 years ago