Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Usually common law you have to declare it anyway. If just living together for an extended period of time made you married then a whole lot of people would be accidentally married to their roommates.

Most civilized countries have defacto/ common law/ whatever after a reasonable amount of time spent living together (fair bit less than 7 years lol).

"You accidentally married your flatmate lol!!!1!!" sounds like one of those uniquely stupid talking points Americans like to constantly make up to stay as backwards as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Ups_rail posted:

and then someone drives around with a flipper/deauthor and have fun loving with your house.

I'm not super concerned - the only Z-wave security flaw I'm aware of is Z-shave (to downgrade S2 to S0 during initial pairing) and I trust my neighbours not to have done that (plus the hub says it's done the S2 setup) and deauth isn't a thing for Z-wave. I'm sure there's others but most burglars around here just try to smash a window (I also have laminate security glass).

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

God, I love these workers giving no fucks and telling it like it is.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Charles Ford posted:

I'm not super concerned - the only Z-wave security flaw I'm aware of is Z-shave (to downgrade S2 to S0 during initial pairing) and I trust my neighbours not to have done that (plus the hub says it's done the S2 setup) and deauth isn't a thing for Z-wave. I'm sure there's others but most burglars around here just try to smash a window (I also have laminate security glass).

You've put 1000x more thought than I have into "how do I stop people from breaking into my house, be it James-Bond-gizmo style or simple B&E?"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Elon giving real substitute teacher losing entire control of the classroom vibes

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

lol we should all post "as engineers at Twitter" to see if we can DDoS Elon's tiny brain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kingo Ligma posted:

Most civilized countries have defacto/ common law/ whatever after a reasonable amount of time spent living together (fair bit less than 7 years lol).

"You accidentally married your flatmate lol!!!1!!" sounds like one of those uniquely stupid talking points Americans like to constantly make up to stay as backwards as possible.

In Australia you basically become defacto immediately upon being a couple that lives together, and you get 99% of the married rights. It's to the point where it causes marriage rates to plummet because lots of people don't bother.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's the same in every way except the tax bill

:wrong:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

IIRC here in Canada while you can declare it any time after cohabiting for a year you still need to check the box on your tax return the next year that you consider yourself common law married or it's not counted.

But while there's tax benefits there's pretty big gaps compared to a standard registered marriage. No equal division of property on separation, zero rights to inheritance (and no legal standing to contest the will), IIRC depending on the province you don't have the same rights for healthcare decisions if your partner is incapacitated, etc...

It's a perfectly valid thing for some aspects of a regular marriage (taxes, some spousal support depending on the province, kids, etc...) but you definitely need to draw up an ironclad will and have an explicit document stating your common law partner is your substitute decision maker, that sort of thing.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 16, 2022

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://twitter.com/rlycalm/status/1590923733119954944?cxt=HHwWgMDTlZmtjJQsAAAA

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:mods: please fire her.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I will never get tired of this

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Tremendous posting. I really need more of the Elon stans getting baited by shitposting. Twitter deserves nothing less in its final days.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Charles Ford posted:

The stuff with Grimes - I've found Musk's general "personal relationships" pretty confusing. For a while he *did* seem to be doing the model-dating thing, I remember he was meant to be going out with British B-lister Talulah Riley. But then he just kind of ended up with Grimes and started having poorly named babies?

Not just going out with, he was married to Talulah twice (they divorced and remarried).

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

IIRC here in Canada while you can declare it any time after cohabiting for a year you still need to check the box on your tax return the next year that you consider yourself common law married or it's not counted.

But while there's tax benefits there's pretty big gaps compared to a standard registered marriage. No equal division of property on separation, zero rights to inheritance (and no legal standing to contest the will), IIRC depending on the province you don't have the same rights for healthcare decisions if your partner is incapacitated, etc...

It's a perfectly valid thing for some aspects of a regular marriage (taxes, some spousal support depending on the province, kids, etc...) but you definitely need to draw up an ironclad will and have an explicit document stating your common law partner is your substitute decision maker, that sort of thing.

IIRC in canada you can be considered common law in as little as 6 months, and you could divide assets if someone is bullheaded enough to bring a lawyer into it. If you can show you've been providing value to the household through paying off mortgage or providing childcare or pretty much anything, you can try and recoup that. Differs by province of course. They're maybe not gonna evenly split things down the middle but there'll be an attempt to split things evenly according to contribution, which leaves a lot of leeway for lawyers and spiteful ex's to be gigantic piece of poo poo.

I worked at a lawfirm a million years ago doin some random poo poo. It gives me zero authority on this obviously, but I saw a lot of fighting over the dumbest poo poo in terrible ways. Like a divorcing couple arguing for over a week through their lawyers about a silverware set. Probably cost 10,000 between them to snipe at each other and try to deny the other something.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Captain Hygiene posted:

:mods: please fire her.

I'm pushing the buttons but they are not working sorry

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

sebmojo posted:

drat, which microservice was that? Oh well I got fired anyways, lol and lmao

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Elon Musk can click my gizmo!

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Has musk ever taken a trip to space or even low orbit on his own private space yacht? You'd think it'd be the the first things you'd do as an eccentric billionaire.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Decon posted:

CEO said make racing game.

Some nerd said "but bald spots on tires".

Nerd got fired. CEO got called a smart, special boy with only good ideas.

And then a hundred Smarter Every Day wannabe tech YouTubers made videos about how awesome it is that Teslas have games installed. Rinse, repeat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Has musk ever taken a trip to space or even low orbit on his own private space yacht? You'd think it'd be the the first things you'd do as an eccentric billionaire.

Elon is on record as stating that low earth orbit would be too boring for him to bother with

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Glad to see she didn't get banned over the years.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Decon posted:

CEO said make racing game.

Some nerd said "but bald spots on tires".

Nerd got fired. CEO got called a smart, special boy with only good ideas.

The bald spots on tyres problem is in turn due to some heroic engineer that stopped TeslaOS from having a software call that disables steering wheel input.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There is sort of a mix of laws around this federal and provincial, but changing the designation of your return is for tax optimization stuff.

Legally, if you live together in a "marriage-like" relationship, 1 year, 2 years (depends), or have a kid anytime, it's automatic, you are common law and the rights and obligations are 100% the same as "real" marriage.

It's actually a good system I think, and is always funny when people don't know and are shocked to learn they are basically accidently married, just with a different name.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sebmojo posted:

that's because you're admin and not a mod... hehehe.....

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Normally I cheer any space news as an achievement for all of humanity, but watching SLS successfully launch right now has me thinking gently caress YOU MUSK HAHAHAHA

NASA BEAT YOU TO IT YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Trumps made his announcement and SLS is heading to the moon get ready for some stupid tweets

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scam Likely posted:

Normally I cheer any space news as an achievement for all of humanity, but watching SLS successfully launch right now has me thinking gently caress YOU MUSK HAHAHAHA

NASA BEAT YOU TO IT YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Yeah same, can't wait for the cope in addition to the awesomeness of going back to the Moon.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

gonna lmao if this results in Musk trying to play hardball with SpaceX or Starlink assets to "assert" himself against the "competition".

and then getting nationalized

lmao 2 if he tries to cut corners and just ruins spacex

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SRQ posted:

gonna lmao if this results in Musk trying to play hardball with SpaceX or Starlink assets to "assert" himself against the "competition".

and then getting nationalized

lmao 2 if he tries to cut corners and just ruins spacex

Space-X should absolutely be nationalized to help the Artemis Program.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Artrmis program will never change because SLS is just a pork barrel machine and they'll never divert to something else that isn't the existing pork.

NASA could have made a really good rocket and advanced rocketry like SpaceX did but even better if they weren't basically given a list of pork components by Congress and told to try to scrape it into a usable rocket. Space stuff isn't the reason NASA exists in the eyes of Congress anymore, it's just a thing to spend money in the right places, and in the meantime the people working there try their hardest to do some good science and engineering in between.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 16, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MikeJF posted:

The Artrmis program will never change because SLS is just a pork barrel machine and they'll never divert to something else that isn't the existing pork.

NASA could have made a really good rocket and advanced rocketry like SpaceX did but even better if they weren't basically given a list of pork components by Congress and told to try to scrape it into a usable rocket. Space stuff isn't the reason NASA exists in the eyes of Congress anymore, it's just a thing to spend money in the right places, and in the meantime the people working there try their hardest to do some good science and engineering in between.

:lol:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they lived in the same home and had children together

That’s not “married” in California, at least.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
You can tell Musk has nothing to do with Starlink because the satellites haven't taken themselves out of orbit and turned into missiles, yet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Subjunctive posted:

That’s not “married” in California, at least.
can't believe people's speech isn't conforming to the legal definitions of california. hosed up imo

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Elons dad thinks our only goal on earth is to reproduce as much as possible. He also knocked up (maybe twice) his second wife's daughter who became his stepdaughter when she was 4.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Elon "The Taint" Musk

Honestly has a better ring to it than Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Get that man into a singlet