Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Marching Powder posted:

sonny bill is an elite athlete and was one of the best rugby players on earth before switching to boxing. he fought a 48 year old mark hunt and unlike the paul / silva fight exactly what i thought would happen happened.

https://twitter.com/MMAPropagande/status/1588864640465133569

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
In Northern Hemisphere news Dmitry Bivol scored a clear win over the previously unbeaten Gilberto 'Zurdo' Ramirez. After Canelo announced he was having wrist surgery after the GGG fight it seemed likely that he would be out until next September but all indicatons are he will be ready to resume his "normal" schedule of fighting on Cinco De Mayo and Mexican Independence Day weekends.

The recently announced Caleb Plant - David Benavidez fight means there could be an easy challenger for his undisputed status at 168. There have also been talks that a rematch with Bivol would take place at 168 which is some bs but might end up happening that way just because

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Chopstix posted:

Best non-disappointing news heard in a long time, he was always my favorite fighter, and wikipedia prank’d me listing Sonny as the winner. Didn’t even have to brutally knock out his opponent, Sonny is just like, “Nope I lost”

I think Sonny ate a couple shots that would've put down a lot of other guys, good on him for deciding he didn't want to take more. I'm always happy to see Hunt win though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mark Hunt is the best. I remember Soa Palelei (another aussie MMA fighter) talking about being in the gym with Hunt all the time. They make him wear the 20oz in sparring even though everyone else wears 16oz because he just hits so god damned hard. He also knew he could take another fighter's worst shots because he "can't hit as hard as Mark."

I just thought about poor stefan sutoruvu after a fight with Hunt:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 9, 2022

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Rags to Liches posted:

I think Sonny ate a couple shots that would've put down a lot of other guys, good on him for deciding he didn't want to take more. I'm always happy to see Hunt win though

last thing anyone wants to do, win or lose, is take more mark hunt punches. thats not good

for your head

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Enjoy this compilation video of Mark Hunt KOing people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-I2qxrer_M

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/michaelbensonn/status/1590423623877419008?s=46&t=gylgcI2xB21OS55GBGNjHw

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Ruiz has fast hands but I do worry for him.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I think wilder ruiz will be fun. A lot of knockout potential

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
don't think Ruiz has the gas tank to keep out of Wilder's range for 12 rounds

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
But he could get a KO himself no?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I think that's his only hope, because a leaner Wilder won't exhaust the same way he did in the last two Fury fights.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

agreed, I don't think Ruiz can go the distance with Wilder but I think his hands are quick and powerful enough to catch him with something if Wilder misses a big shot

LobsterMobster posted:

last thing anyone wants to do, win or lose, is take more mark hunt punches. thats not good

for your head

exactly, even a single mark hunt punch is one mark hunt punch too many

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1590695975664111616

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
well jake paul should beat the poo poo out of him and i'll watch that in the most convenient way that costs me literally no money

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also the guy in the still image looks like the new persona you get when you fuse your 87 douchebag with your 33 pillar of masculinity with bottom energy

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Marching Powder posted:

also the guy in the still image looks like the new persona you get when you fuse your 87 douchebag with your 33 pillar of masculinity with bottom energy

I was/am 99 percent sure that's "The Situation" of Jersey Shore fame

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Ruiz has fast hands but I do worry for him.

Slow feet though. He will be stopped.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

I was/am 99 percent sure that's "The Situation" of Jersey Shore fame

i'm sorry i don't know if this is serious but wasn't jersey shore a solid decade ago? drat yall really liked that.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

i'm sorry i don't know if this is serious but wasn't jersey shore a solid decade ago? drat yall really liked that.

Jersey shore ruled.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i am very happy for the situation and anyone else still making money from being on one of the most rivetting train wrecks in television history

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Marching Powder posted:

i am very happy for the situation and anyone else still making money from being on one of the most rivetting train wrecks in television history

Wait until you see the UK spinoff Geordie Shore. Now that is a wreck

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

Wait until you see the UK spinoff Geordie Shore. Now that is a wreck

geordie shore is an insane disaster

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

ilmucche posted:

geordie shore is an insane disaster

The only way is Essex is somehow worse

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Can we please get Bivol vs Beterviev next year before the 38 year old Beterbiev gets old/too injured.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ben_damon/status/1591652227642707968

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Among freakshows, this one was particularly unenjoyable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGKBYYwTmM

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1592780073069084672

the hardcore history dude did a podcast where he and his guest argue that boxers of yesteryear can beat today's boxers.

bunch of old dude wankery imo.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

He wasn't quite at the pinnacle of his era but I would love to have seen a young Gerry Cooney fight some of today's heavyweights. The dude was huge and could throw.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

KidDynamite posted:

the hardcore history dude did a podcast where he and his guest argue that boxers of yesteryear can beat today's boxers.

I'm over here from the UFC thread but yeah it sucks. "The new kids don't have the heart, the toughness, the experience of fighting 300 bums a year to pad their record" etc

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I think all of the boxing greats could compete today, especially in heavy weight. That is why they are "great".

Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Ali, Fraser, Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, of course. Just your random average boxer of the 80's would still just be an average boxer of today.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Are we assuming that the old boxers would have access to modern sports science? Until like the 80’s people were basically guessing at what might make them stronger and have better cardio.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Whatever Marciano did sure worked. But yeah I think the hypothetical would be more fun with a few months of modern training.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How good was nazeem hamed? I vaguely remember him being huge when I was a kid

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
in the podcast they were pretty specific about the boxer pretty much stepping out of a time machine after prepping for an old-timey fight into the ring against a modern fighter. No talk about 'what if this guy's natural talent was given the benefit of modern science etc etc'

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jose posted:

How good was nazeem hamed? I vaguely remember him being huge when I was a kid

Almost as good as he thought he was. Until he ran into Barrera / broke his hands too many times

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
This is what losing so decisively to Barrera did to him:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

ccubed posted:

This is what losing so decisively to Barrera did to him:

Glad he’s enjoying retirement

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Nazeem was supremely arrogant, but then again he had a hell of a run where he could fight guys with his hands down and RJJ-style his way to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

KidDynamite posted:

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1592780073069084672

I haven't listened to the podcast, but he's not the only one making the argument. Boxing was for a very long time one of the absolute best ways for athletic, but underprivileged youngsters to make money. Being someone in boxing used to be huge. Other sports have caught up and surpassed boxing in later years with regards to money and prestige, leading to a decline in the available talent pool and subsequent decline in coaching resources etc. Now, I grant that today's knowledge of human physiology and especially nutrition is a big advantage for modern boxers, but the talent pool and technique may well belong to the old timers.