Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ethanol posted:

I feel like on top of tanking your credit, if you file chapter 7 you'll end up with worse payments than in IDR, file chapter 11 and they're going to come take your stuff

People with private loans won't be able to get IDR. And IDR doesn't start until June 2023.

But, yes. Once IDR becomes a thing, there will be almost nobody who is in a position where it makes sense to go bankrupt for student loans. It's mostly just for people who are declaring bankruptcy anyway and have private loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Declaring bankruptcy was one of the best things I ever did. I wasted so many years trying to do the “right” thing but I was too far in debt to ever get out. Next month will be three years out and my credit score is already back over 700. I’m not saying it works for everyone but if you’re in a position where you don’t really need to worry about your credit score for a few years just do it. gently caress the banks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

People with private loans won't be able to get IDR. And IDR doesn't start until June 2023.

But, yes. Once IDR becomes a thing, there will be almost nobody who is in a position where it makes sense to go bankrupt for student loans. It's mostly just for people who are declaring bankruptcy anyway and have private loans.

well you don't get private loans forgiven anyways. but also various IDR plans have been around for like a decade or more. I think you're talking about the new plan.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That would probably be a bad strategy because you have to actually get approved for bankruptcy first. Everyone doing it at once would just create a huge line.

Student loans also are rarely discharged in bankruptcy. Prior to the 2005 bankruptcy bill, only about 4% of student loans were approved as discharged during bankruptcy. The bankruptcy bill made it even harder and now it is less than 1.5% get approved to be discharged.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4046&context=dlj

You're way overshooting it. it is .1 percent

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What if everyone just stopped paying their loans.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What if everyone just stopped paying their loans.

Amazon warehouses become Debtors' Prisons.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrong thread

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 18, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol wtf. this guy is a MIT educated engineer too. epic

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

EDIT: Never mind.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, this isn't the "general bag on GOP death-cult dumbasses thread." Kindly keep discussion defensibly on-topic or consequences will ensue.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

So simple. We can end world hunger and slow climate change at the same time. Just grow more food.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oops apologies I put that in wrong thread :(

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

That would probably be a bad strategy because you have to actually get approved for bankruptcy first. Everyone doing it at once would just create a huge line.

Student loans also are rarely discharged in bankruptcy. Prior to the 2005 bankruptcy bill, only about 4% of student loans were approved as discharged during bankruptcy. The bankruptcy bill made it even harder and now it is less than 1.5% get approved to be discharged.

Wouldn't this gently caress the entire economy because corporations would also be unable to get the bankruptcies they use?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Apparently the Biden administration has appealed to the Supreme Court to allow this to go through.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the supreme court will save america

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the supreme court will save america

They do seem like a trustworthy bunch.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Azuth0667 posted:

Wouldn't this gently caress the entire economy because corporations would also be unable to get the bankruptcies they use?

Sorry bud, Corporations don't get to be bankrupt, they get bailouts. Think of it as debt relief, but for evil.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
"gently caress it! Let's all just default together! They can't put us all into debtor's prisons!"

Narrator: "They did, and the government spent more on the contracts than full foregiveness would have cost the taxpayers."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks like I spoke too soon and Biden had the same idea.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1593355563781480450

That is the exact opposite of a good idea though. And applying for bankruptcy is not easy or cheap.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oops apologies I put that in wrong thread :(

To be fair, that post kinda fits this thread. I mean, these are the people who are making decisions for how to run and lead the country. It's no wonder things are such a mess, and why they think that student loan forgiveness means that everyone else will be paying for our loans.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Zil posted:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Zil posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

To make myself more painfully clear, don't shitpost in this thread or you will get probed. Posts like the last two will get probed if I see them, even if it's way after the fact.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I got an email about a half hour ago from what appears to be a legit source stating that I was approved for debt relief but they can't do anything because lawsuits. Has anyone else gotten an email like this?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

I got an email about a half hour ago from what appears to be a legit source stating that I was approved for debt relief but they can't do anything because lawsuits. Has anyone else gotten an email like this?

I got the same thing. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The reasons I thought there was a chance it might not be legit are 1) I'm just generally suspicious of everything about this whole thing, and 2) when I looked over the requirements/restrictions before applying, I was very sure that I wouldn't qualify.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Got that same email today.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Just got the email too. I hadn't signed up for alerts but when I put in the application I put in my email address so I think it's legit.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The email is legit.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yep. Just checked my inbox.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have not as yet received this email. :ohdear:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have not as yet received this email. :ohdear:

Neither have I.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I just now got mine, so it seems to be coming in waves

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Neither have I.

Same here, but then again I got an email from my servicer saying 'yeah you qualify, don't bother really' so maybe that has something to do with it?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Snugglecakes posted:

Just got the email too. I hadn't signed up for alerts but when I put in the application I put in my email address so I think it's legit.

I received one also

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have now received the email, too. At least they don't appear to be silently giving up, I guess.

Federal Student Aid posted:

From Secretary Cardona: Lawsuits are preventing the U.S. Department of Education from implementing its one-time student loan debt relief program; we are holding your approved application

CaptainSarcastic,

This email provides you with an update on the one-time Student Loan Debt Relief plan that President Biden and I announced on August 24th.

We reviewed your application and determined that you are eligible for loan relief under the Plan. We have sent this approval on to your loan servicer. You do not need to take any further action.

Unfortunately, a number of lawsuits have been filed challenging the program, which have blocked our ability to discharge your debt at present. We believe strongly that the lawsuits are meritless, and the Department of Justice has appealed on our behalf. Your application is complete and approved, and we will discharge your approved debt if and when we prevail in court. We will update you when there are new developments.

The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to helping borrowers as they recover from the pandemic.

Education is a great equalizer, and we will never stop fighting for you!

In Service,

Miguel A. Cardona

U.S. Secretary of Education

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 20, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I’m certainly hoping it’s not just optics and there’s actually some backup plan in place in the event it dies at the Supreme Court. I haven’t gotten the email yet but my friends did today.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I think even attempting to go through the Supreme Court shows they have absolutely no other plan. They’ve never shown the ability to fight anything that isn’t Bernie Sanders.

If history is any indicator, they’ll just tell you to vote and donate, while also doing absolutely nothing about Manchin, Sinema, the filibuster, or anything else that holds them back from helping people.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 20, 2022

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Considering the effect of the midterms, they may be prompted to do something to keep that part of the electorate energized. But I guess we shall see.

I would say 'just forgive everything and tell the GOP to go gently caress themselves,' but giving everybody another year of no interest forgiveness in response would do as well.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
They’ll just give you the slippery slope argument they whip out when talking about court packing. They are not going to forgive everyone’s loans. They can’t even forgive this means tested half rear end amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
"unfortunately, we spent all our political capital compromising with a party that openly declares that people who compromise are weak and losers, thus, we have entered into further debate with this opponent...."