Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
y'all got me wanting to get back into rimworld. any recommended youtubes to watch to learn to play good? I would always die and quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

highly recommend pete complete. rhadamant also has a very nice (if old) sea ice run

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ya Pete complete is good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I create custom scenario with 10 ppl because I lack patience and means you can get established somewhat quickly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

what else am i going to do, my job?

Lmao

don’t put those filthy words in my mouth!!!

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Pete Complete's voice is so soothing, ASMR Ice Sheet Tribal Challenge is already teaching me stuff. thanks for the recs!

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I enjoy watching streamers play Factorio more than I enjoy actually playing Factorio and I anticipate RimWorld being the same.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

I create custom scenario with 10 ppl because I lack patience and means you can get established somewhat quickly

hi echi, i hope you are enjoying rimworld

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I am

haven’t felt this drawn into wanting to play a game for such a long time

problem being when its 2am and I am having an internal temper tantrum about not wanting to go to bed lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

thought i would try an extreme desert colony in rimworld because the new impid race has high heat tolerance. rolled a planet with max temperature and lowest rainfall then picked a spot near the equator. starting temperature was 80C (176F) and they all died before they could construct a shelter

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

played darktide today. it's pretty good. ran out of ammo for my lasgun a lot though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

polyester concept posted:

thought i would try an extreme desert colony in rimworld because the new impid race has high heat tolerance. rolled a planet with max temperature and lowest rainfall then picked a spot near the equator. starting temperature was 80C (176F) and they all died before they could construct a shelter

:xcom: but for rimworld

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

yeah I am

haven’t felt this drawn into wanting to play a game for such a long time

problem being when its 2am and I am having an internal temper tantrum about not wanting to go to bed lol

If you want a sandbox area to play around with development mode is really good for just messing around.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of, got a new colonist. Welcome to the colony nudgenugetilt. :toot:

Also a boomalope went wild at the same time we got invaded by a bunch of manhunting squirrels and the squirrels have once against caused havoc in my colony.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it is really bonkers how fast a chicken farm will get completely out of hand

edit: thank god a bulk goods trader ship came within comms range - was able to sell 60 chickens at once

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 19, 2022

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah ive just started to realize i should keep chickens in a separate pen than other animals, have had one too many occurrences of the chickens reproducing to an unsustainable population level, its self correcting via mass starvation (or auto-slaughter of course, but the raw food freezer is already full of chicken corpses)

just need to have them separated so when they exhaust the food in the pen, they dont endanger other species too

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of, got a new colonist. Welcome to the colony nudgenugetilt. :toot:

Also a boomalope went wild at the same time we got invaded by a bunch of manhunting squirrels and the squirrels have once against caused havoc in my colony.

when did the monkey show up for all of this?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

was going to ask this

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
also i have just started large-scale organ harvesting of prisoners recently in both the tribal start and the single-colonist start, the tribe has a big head start, the Republic of Tanya is just getting going

anyone who attacks the colony, survives, and isnt a good candidate for recruitment, gets executed peacefully via removal of [1 lung, 2 kidneys] or [1 kidney, 2 lungs], it really comes in handy to have shelves full of spare organs for when one gets shot or stabbed out

and its even better when the colony's surgeon has Bloodlust and gets a mood bonus for removing organs and killing prisoners that way :stare:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

monkeys and squirrels aer basically the same thing

also what the heck the little sprites looked like squirrels -_-

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Oh yes the other major event is that Echi is now a Yeoman. I don't have the supplies to make a grand throne room so this is what we're working with.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you could at least give echi a couch

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Lysidas posted:

, gets executed peacefully via removal of [1 lung, 2 kidneys] or [1 kidney, 2 lungs],

jesus christ dude

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
im not letting a perfectly good set of lungs or kidneys go to waste by allowing an attacker to bleed out on the ground outside :colbert:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dioxazine posted:

Improving a bunch of my furniture is on my todo list, I just need to gather the resources. I wasn't paying attention to my cloth/leather stores and they ran out.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Lysidas posted:

im not letting a perfectly good set of lungs or kidneys go to waste by allowing an attacker to bleed out on the ground outside :colbert:

its the “peaceful” part im concerned about

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

not my left little toe!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

its the “peaceful” part im concerned about

there are much worse things you can do in rimworld if you are determined to do them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dioxazine posted:

please tell me I at least have a table to eat at

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have just arrived at work but I won’t lie all I want to do is play rimworld

at dinner last night I asked my partners kids if they’d played or heard of rimworld and the older one who is 16 just laughed I think at the name lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

at dinner last night I asked my partners kids if they’d played or heard of rimworld and the older one who is 16 just laughed I think at the name lol

i did and im even older than 16

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

echinopsis posted:

welcome

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

everyone goes through the steps of RimWorld:

1. Lol at the name the first time you hear it
2. Lol again but look at the steam page. Decide it looks lovely.
3. Keep hearing about it. Look at the steam page again read reviews, veto once more.
4. Wait for a sale.
5. Give up and buy it.
6. Your cryosleep pod crashes into a boomalope and you are awakened by immediately burning to death. Welcome to the rim

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
installed my first rimworld mod, blueprints, when i wanted to build a duplicate of a turret + barricade setup and figured "duplicating the layout by hand seems like a waste of time"

probably wont take me long to go down a rabbit hole of modding

and

dioxazine posted:

there are much worse things you can do in rimworld if you are determined to do them
yeah, its not like im capturing people for recruitment, removing their limbs to make prison break impossible, and offering bionic replacements only upon joining the colony, at least not yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I installed a mod that makes cold rooms have a mist

it’s actually good for noticing at a glance that your colon-ists have neglected to fill the generators with wood

perhaps this is a bad way to play but I’ve got their tasks set up so that hauling and cleaning is #1 priority for everyone, so that it’s always done

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

how do you set custom priorities? i thought that it was pre-set and you turned stuff off and on within that order

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there's a couple mods for fine grained control, but even in vanilla you can set manual priorities 1-5 or something like that

there should be a toggle on the job screen to turn that on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can click a button (top left of that window) that lets you assign individual priorities for each task

apparently there’s a mod that lets finer grained control too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

perhaps this is a bad way to play but I’ve got their tasks set up so that hauling and cleaning is #1 priority for everyone, so that it’s always done

this is fine but get a mod that lets you control the cleaning zone so your pawns aren't constantly sweeping dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it is kind of amusing that there is no skill associated with cleaning or hauling, so no matter how much they do it it takes the same amount of time

a really nice seasonal mod to have is Water Freezes. it just has progressive freezing and melting of water bodies over cold weather. fully traversible by pawns when frozen