Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just closed a mortgage loan on my house and have been inundated with URGENT: TIME SENSITIVE junk mail that looks like it's from the mortgage company telling me I'm eligible for a free life insurance policy. I finally called the lender because I got like 10 of these things and they assured me they don't offer life insurance. I don't know what the angle is but I assume it's trying to get me to give personal information and poo poo related to the money. Which is a serious red flag because obviously my lender knows just about anything there is to know about me, as anyone who's gone through that process can attest.

loving scammers man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I just closed a mortgage loan on my house and have been inundated with URGENT: TIME SENSITIVE junk mail that looks like it's from the mortgage company telling me I'm eligible for a free life insurance policy. I finally called the lender because I got like 10 of these things and they assured me they don't offer life insurance. I don't know what the angle is but I assume it's trying to get me to give personal information and poo poo related to the money. Which is a serious red flag because obviously my lender knows just about anything there is to know about me, as anyone who's gone through that process can attest.

loving scammers man.

Those aren't from your lender. They are from actual scummy life insurance companies trying to sell you whole life or some other really bad "mortgage protection" insurance. They are basically scams.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

loving scammers man.

they are 'real' companies that are trying to prey on you being a new homeowner who is worried about themselves/their family.

That are definitely scams, my realtor even warned me about them when we bought our house.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

remember you can get rid of any junk mailer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

using a loophole where legally you can stop anything that makes you too horny, and thanks to the supreme court's ruling, the first amendment says the government legally can't argue when you say something makes you horny

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

they are 'real' companies that are trying to prey on you being a new homeowner who is worried about themselves/their family.

That are definitely scams, my realtor even warned me about them when we bought our house.
Your deed transfer paperwork and your mortgage are public record in the US. So, you'll get home warranty, title and mortgage scams for a while after the sale.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bort posted:

Your deed transfer paperwork and your mortgage are public record in the US. So, you'll get home warranty, title and mortgage scams for a while after the sale.

Hell, it's been over a decade and lending tree is still trying to offer me a mortgage, it's bizarre.

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Tunicate posted:

remember you can get rid of any junk mailer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

using a loophole where legally you can stop anything that makes you too horny, and thanks to the supreme court's ruling, the first amendment says the government legally can't argue when you say something makes you horny

yeah, i'm not gonna argue that grocery store ads make me all horned up to the gov't.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Coward

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EndlessRagdoll posted:

yeah, i'm not gonna argue that grocery store ads make me all horned up to the gov't.

Nothing worthwhile without sacrifice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EndlessRagdoll posted:

"Your honor, they offered me a big eggplant."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Did you see those sausages? I rest my case."

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"I was eating peaches...for hours!"

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I have a question about a potential scam/shady situation.

Ten years ago, when I moved to a new area, I started to get mail that was for my address but was for someone else by name. I figured they were the previous apartment tenant and threw the mail out/sent it back with 'return to sender' attached. I didn't think much of it.

Then my wife and I moved after four years into my in-laws to save for a house. And within a few months we started getting mail at that address to the exact same name. At this point, I knew something was fishy, but we never saw any suspicious credit card charges, or loans taken out in our names, or credit report issues, so I ignored it.

Now, in our new house, I continue to occasionally get mail at our new address but to this exact same name, plus one other name occasionally (Different first name, same last name). Usually, it is debt collectors or some other type of agency mailing the mail. I never open it as it is not addressed to us, but is this some type of scam, or is it just someone who keeps using our address to hide from debt collectors? And how do they keep getting our next address?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 21, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you do any mail forwarding? That might be why the old names followed you.

I constantly get mail at a property I've lived at for 5 years for people who haven't been there fore at least 10 years, usually credit card offers and healthcare stuff.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
They only forward mail addressed to the names you specify.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Are phishing mails able to trigger the red flag status in outlook?

Mail looks to be coming from no-reply@microsoft.com

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Are phishing mails able to trigger the red flag status in outlook?

Mail looks to be coming from no-reply@microsoft.com

I thought you set the flag yourself?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
No idea, I didn't see those linked when I checked my microsoft logins, but I set up two factor authentication anyways. There were some failed autosynch attempts from China on my account for the past week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Usually the red ! is set by the sender marking an email as high importance, the red flag on the right is set by the recipient so they know they still have to deal with the email. Not sure if those can be set by anyone else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mini success story!

Friend is setting up a new rescue, and I saw on her wall she posted this... I didn't give it too much thought but wanted to help out so said I'm in.

(not my pic, but similar text so I'm sure you can see where this is going. The one I saw mentioned you'd get 6-36 gifts and I initially thought it was something she'd arranged with vendors etc)

She then messaged me the instructions, which was to reshare the text and then send the message out to everyone who responds but to change one of the addresses for my own. Of course the sirens in my head went off instantly as I now realised it wasn't something she was running from scratch herself and was a pyramid scheme, so I told her I'd have to bail due to that and sent a link to a .gov site that named this specific scheme and she said thanks. Thought that was the usual 'well I don't care I'm running with it anyway' thing, but lo and behold she pulled down the post and maybe spoke to others.

Always nice to kill a branch of these things before more people get scammed, especially when it comes from respected people in the community who are just victims themselves and not trying to perpetuate a scam.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 7, 2022

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mini success story!

Friend is setting up a new rescue, and I saw on her wall she posted this... I didn't give it too much thought but wanted to help out so said I'm in.

(not my pic, but similar text so I'm sure you can see where this is going. The one I saw mentioned you'd get 6-36 gifts and I initially thought it was something she'd arranged with vendors etc)

She then messaged me the instructions, which was to reshare the text and then send the message out to everyone who responds but to change one of the addresses for my own. Of course the sirens in my head went off instantly as I now realised it wasn't something she was running from scratch herself and was a pyramid scheme, so I told her I'd have to bail due to that and sent a link to a .gov site that named this specific scheme and she said thanks. Thought that was the usual 'well I don't care I'm running with it anyway' thing, but lo and behold she pulled down the post and maybe spoke to others.

Always nice to kill a branch of these things before more people get scammed, especially when it comes from respected people in the community who are just victims themselves and not trying to perpetuate a scam.

A few years ago a friend posted a book version. As well as telling them how it was a scam, I made sure to send a couple of books their way because if I have some disposable income I'm always happy to buy a friend a book or two.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
A friend of mine just posted something similar on FB yesterday, but it was a Holiday Whiskey/Bourbon/Tequila exchange.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So, the person at the top of the pyramid never has to buy dog toys again? Did I miss something or is there no cash involved.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
If that’s true then what’s the “scam” part?

namlosh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 7, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

namlosh posted:

So, the person at the top of the pyramid never has to buy dog toys again? Did I miss something or is there no cash involved.

I think you change one of the addresses to yours and move the other one down so it would be removed entirely on the next tier, but man I wouldn't doubt someone changes the system to make it so they keep getting sent stuff and hope nobody catches on.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

namlosh posted:

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
If that’s true then what’s the “scam” part?

These things mathematically cannot go on forever so there will at some point be a load of people who buy gifts and never receive anything themselves while the person who started it never buys anything and gets a full suite of gifts. In this particular instance, sounds like people in the middle aren't getting scammed but are obviously playing a part in someone further down the line getting screwed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The latest iteration of the Chain Letter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I feel like if someone says 'it's really not a scam!' unprompted that is um well a bit of a :ussr:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrNemo posted:

These things mathematically cannot go on forever so there will at some point be a load of people who buy gifts and never receive anything themselves while the person who started it never buys anything and gets a full suite of gifts. In this particular instance, sounds like people in the middle aren't getting scammed but are obviously playing a part in someone further down the line getting screwed.

Yup, usual pyramid stuff where the person who thinks of it/the people right at the top of the chain get out fine then dozens/hundreds of people below can get hosed.

There's a bunch of infographics that show just how fast these things can spiral beyond 'a few people' to 'the entire population of the world' kinda things.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks so much for the replies.

I get pyramid schemes and such, I think in my head scam has a connotation (wrongly) that money is made at the top. The fact that it was just dog toys made my brain see it as less harmful compared to something like Bernie Sanders. It may be less harmful, but it’s a scam all the same. Got it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Whoever starts those things is probably mostly interested in getting people to post their addresses and other PII, not getting a boatload of pet toys.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

namlosh posted:

...see it as less harmful compared to something like Bernie Sanders. It may be less harmful, but it’s a scam all the same. Got it

Lol do you mean Madoff?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Parallelwoody posted:

Lol do you mean Madoff?

No

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Parallelwoody posted:

Lol do you mean Madoff?
Oooppss
Lmao, yup

Leaving it cause it’s funny. He was at the top of the mitten pyramid

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I am once again asking you to take a second helping, you're a growing country and you need it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Has anyone brought up towing companies yet?

The poo poo they get up to is downright criminal, theft and is nothing short of extortion. In the town I grew up in, there was a company near the university that cut deals with business owners to give them kickbacks on the towing fees/fines and the company where you had to go get your car was like a fortified compound. The people that worked there acted like mobsters and would charge you basically whatever they wanted since there seemed to be no set amount on the fines.

There was no way for you to prove it or challenge it in cases where there was not a clearly marked sign either and the motherfuckers would tow you anyway even if you were present with your vehicle and before they even hooked it up. OFten, they'll just flat out refuse to release your vehicle unless you pay whatever made up amount they say you owe them, tack on exorbitant "storage fees" and, usually, the cops won't help you either. If you send your kid, a family member or your spouse to go get your car, they won't give it to them

Here's a little write up I found

https://medium.com/the-random-nerdi...es-29a7094be69a

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Has anyone brought up towing companies yet?

The poo poo they get up to is downright criminal, theft and is nothing short of extortion. In the town I grew up in, there was a company near the university that cut deals with business owners to give them kickbacks on the towing fees/fines and the company where you had to go get your car was like a fortified compound. The people that worked there acted like mobsters and would charge you basically whatever they wanted since there seemed to be no set amount on the fines.

There was no way for you to prove it or challenge it in cases where there was not a clearly marked sign either and the motherfuckers would tow you anyway even if you were present with your vehicle and before they even hooked it up. OFten, they'll just flat out refuse to release your vehicle unless you pay whatever made up amount they say you owe them, tack on exorbitant "storage fees" and, usually, the cops won't help you either. If you send your kid, a family member or your spouse to go get your car, they won't give it to them

Here's a little write up I found

https://medium.com/the-random-nerdi...es-29a7094be69a

I haunt r/legaladvice as sometimes there’s something neat to share in the r/r thread and holy gently caress, if a politician wants to make a career taking on something, towing companies are up there. There are some horror stories

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The towing/extortion companies are invariably well connected, which is why they feel free to extort whatever they want from you with the full power of the government backing them.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My sister's apartment complex gets kickbacks for snitching on their own residents parking with expired tags. Someone had a new car with the registration on the dashboard and it took a community intervention to get the driver to gently caress off. He said he could tow because the tag wasn't on the license plate. I'm sure you'll be shocked to know it's a low-income area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Eric the Mauve posted:

The towing/extortion companies are invariably well connected, which is why they feel free to extort whatever they want from you with the full power of the government backing them.
Yep.

Here's one case from a few years back in California: https://www.courthousenews.com/california-city-settles-towing-scam-for-1-2-million/

quote:

California City Settles Towing Scam for $1.2 Million

SAN FRANCISCO (CN) — King City, in California’s Salinas Valley, agreed to pay $1.2 million to victims of a car-towing scam carried out by corrupt police officers who victimized poor Latinos.

Hundreds of low-income Latinos had their cars illegally towed and impounded after being pulled over for minor traffic infractions in the sleepy agricultural town of 13,900, according to the civil lawsuit and investigation by the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office.

Latinos constitute 87.5 percent of the population of King City, 150 miles southwest of San Francisco, according to 2015 U.S. Census data.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler approved the $1.2 million settlement on Jan. 25. Roughly 229 victims will be paid about $3,902 apiece.

At least eight King City officers conspired with Bruce Miller, owner of Miller’s Towing, to haul away and impound vehicles of poor Latinos from 2009 to 2014, according to lead plaintiff Jesus Garcia’s lawsuit.

Miller and police made the victims pay excessive fees to retrieve their vehicles, took cars for their personal use, and sold some for profit and pocketed the proceeds.

Plaintiff David Gutierrez was forced to pay more than $2,700 to recover his automobile.

Plaintiff Sergio Munoz was told to bring a $200 money order to the police station and to leave the payee line blank — just to find out how to get his car back. Munoz had to pay another $300 to retrieve the car from Miller’s Towing, according to court documents.

The Monterey County District Attorney’s Office investigation led to charges of conspiracy, embezzlement and bribery against six officers, including the city’s acting and former police chiefs, in 2014.

The alleged mastermind of the plot, former police Sgt. Bobby Carrillo, was the last officer to be sentenced last year after pleading no-contest to bribery and perjury. He was sentenced to a year in the county jail. He was the only officer who was sentenced to jail.

The district attorney found Carillo had impounded more than 200 cars from March 2010 to November 2013, with 87 percent of them going to Miller’s Towing.