Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I definitely think it's something that the non-competitive, single-player-focused RTS games really should have copied more though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine how powerful
north korea would have been if they’d been allowed to play starcraft

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

they didnt even have any cheddar biscuits

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
cjs: finished the main story of assassins creed odyssey? i think??? its hard to tell what constitutes the main story as theres a bunch of past/future time travel stuff involving aliens guiding humans into enlightenment but i did some googling and it seems like the main storys conclusion is actually wrapped up in 4 dlc instalments? ive been playing the game via gamepass but that doesnt seem to include the dlc ending so it looks like the jokes on me for playing a 60 hour game with no ending

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 22, 2022

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
also the balls on ubisoft to release game knowing the ending will be dlc

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jenny Agutter posted:

I’ve been waiting for a new supreme commander for so long, hope this actually makes it to release

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1699050/Sanctuary_Shattered_Sun/

I hope this ones good too but if not forged alliance forever is still baller

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kuvo posted:

cjs: finished the main story of assassins creed odyssey? i think??? its hard to tell what constitutes the main story as theres a bunch of past/future time travel stuff involving aliens guiding humans into enlightenment but i did some googling and it seems like the main storys conclusion is actually wrapped up in 4 dlc instalments? ive been playing the game via gamepass but that doesnt seem to include the dlc ending so it looks like the jokes on me for playing a 60 hour game with no ending

I believe the "main story" of the game ends when you finally face off against your sibling, and kill them or you make a happy family again, although you can finish that without taking out all of the illuminati etc

I like the haunted illuminati music

its a pretty good game, that does overstay its welcome a bit but drat is it good looking.

I defo enjoy the RPG style rear end creed and I know the new one in kuwait or wherever is going away from that but hope they also do ones where they deeper dive

skyrim 2 : rimjob is going to be good I HOPE!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

restricted viewports in games like starcraft is an intentional limit to increase the APM ceiling by preventing the player from seeing too much at once.

i have the reaction speed of a drunk sloth, i'd like an rts geared towards really low apm. like have an AI doing most things and you give it strategic directions, or draw a plan up for it or something.

there's an incredibly grognardy game Command Ops 2 which sort of does this, but the UI is just so bad that it's hard to enjoy that much, despite the underlying model being really cool

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Theres a bit more of an Ending ending for your character in AC:Origins, but it is tucked away behind a lot of monster hunting

https://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-odyssey-ending-explained/

See Part 3 - the BETWEEN TWO WORLDS* ending

*forsooth, the taint

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

restricted viewports in games like starcraft is an intentional limit to increase the APM ceiling by preventing the player from seeing too much at once.

you can say that about a lot of the bad design decisions that went into StarCraft 2

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i decided to upgrade to ps+ extra for the rest of my subscription for <$20 due to the 25% off from the sale. ac odyssey is one of the catalog titles but i guess i'll get to that one a bit later on

first, deathloop and bloodstained

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I liked bits of Deathloop but the best mechanic was invading other people's games which meant someone else had to also be playing Deathloop :negative:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes: Quality Control working overtime.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

gently caress it
https://mega.nz/file/3NRg3RIC#KkgpXKyuoNZmkJczpuqUwER0xiTTPdlekl2OrtFet6c
this may be about as far as I get. it's fun to play around it. do so or not

I promised myself I would only hawk my game once in the games thread, and I was going to wait until it was ready but this is the closest it’s going to be. please
forgive me

so … please do feel free to ignore this but if you fancy playing my game you can. you use arrow keys and press shift for extra boost and all sorts of other keys do other things. have a bit of an explore
there are some things to find. if you choose to give it a go I hope you have fun and if you have a go at the loop timer share your best time

lol press R to reset everything and alt f4 quits

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it is summer in the eastern hemisphere, nmn

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

my computer has icicles on it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

my computer has icicles on it

now that's efficient cooling

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like the strategy games that are more like tactics games. World In Conflict, or Darwinia, or Army Men. Games where there are resources and some element of constructing an army, but without the base building and miniature economy. I don't really like that stuff. It just feels super repetitive after a while. Maybe you could put Homeworld in the tactics category too since the "base" part is quite simple.

On the other end of the spectrum there's stuff like Supreme Commander, which really is about strategy and economy and the battles kinda fight themselves. That works too although I don't like it as much as micromanaging tactics.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Company of Heros is foreverial the best balance of combat and economy in an rts. The combat is how you drive the economy and the base building is distilled down to pretty basic elements. Too bad the sequel didn't have the same feel

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
does anyone remember the scifi game that had rts, fps, and (i think?) like 5x or planetary exploration parts?

it was pretty fun but it definitely felt exactly like 3 games being swapped in and out every time the domain changed. I wonder if a new game in that genre could bridge the gaps a little better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
myth TFL permanently ruined strategy games for me. I don't want to build poo poo and watch peasants running around until the knight factory pops out a knight, I want the little maneuvers and formations I put the knights in to matter

Corla Plankun posted:

does anyone remember the scifi game that had rts, fps, and (i think?) like 5x or planetary exploration parts?

it was pretty fun but it definitely felt exactly like 3 games being swapped in and out every time the domain changed. I wonder if a new game in that genre could bridge the gaps a little better

spore?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
nah, I'll see if I can google for it. I think it was older than that

edit: holey gently caress google sucks so bad now, and also it looks like hybrid rts/fps took off as a genre in the last few years so even relevant results are trash.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 22, 2022

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

haveblue posted:

myth TFL permanently ruined strategy games for me. I don't want to build poo poo and watch peasants running around until the knight factory pops out a knight, I want the little maneuvers and formations I put the knights in to matter

yeah it's still one of my favorite games ever. there's project magma https://projectmagma.net/downloads/ that has updates to let it run on modern things too.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

i think i would love a game where i could build cities and armies and order the peasants around but then during battles could drop down into fps mode like a boss and be able to upgrade my god-emperor armor and weapons and such along with my omega palace

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

civ3 was the last good civ because that was the last one where you could build a palace

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/kocha8164/status/1594698507033640963

:eyepop:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i think it was called spore op, hope this helps

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Corla Plankun posted:

giants: citizen kabuto was scifi and had a rts cross-over element but dont think it had 5x mode in it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got cyberpunk 2077 on sale, let’s see how broken it still is

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

qirex posted:

I got cyberpunk 2077 on sale, let’s see how broken it still is

it's not so broken now, just reliably mediocre.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

not so broken now, just reliably mediocre.
#lifegoals :unsmith:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

i think it was called spore op, hope this helps

black and white

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

its time to buy rimworld gamers

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

there's no way that it is on sale

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just looked, it doesn't look like it or any of the DLC is on-sale on Steam. That said some third-party sellers will sometimes offer a discount. Maybe they do it by sacrificing their own cut and hoping you buy other stuff with it, I dunno.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/search?search=rimworld

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I bought oxygen not included, and I am very bad at it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
when is nintendo going to get off their collective rear end and sell some more wireless n64 controllers?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FMguru posted:

#lifegoals :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elder Postsman posted:

I bought oxygen not included, and I am very bad at it

i had a lot more fun messing with complicated heating, cooling etc. systems than actually loving around with the dupes or the colony lol

but seriously ONI allows for some pretty neat systems, like this petroleum boiler powered by an active volcano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YddtS8ZKbIE

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

President Beep posted:

when is nintendo going to get off their collective rear end and sell some more wireless n64 controllers?

many people are saying this