Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

when is nintendo going to get off their collective rear end and sell some more wireless n64 controllers?

my uncle is getting me one for christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
BF2042 is on game pass now, but aside from some bug fixes and a handful of new maps/guns/micro-transactionsoperators its unchanged since launch. Its total poo poo and not worth downloading.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

BF2042 is on game pass now, but aside from some bug fixes and a handful of new maps/guns/micro-transactionsoperators its unchanged since launch. Its total poo poo and not worth downloading.

it was so bad I ended up buying MWII and even its battlefield-lite mode is miles better

at least the game loving works

congrats to DICE for making a battlefield so bad that I bought a fuckin call of duty game in 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I started playing grim dawn tonight. it's really fun.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

post hole digger posted:

I started playing grim dawn tonight. it's really fun.
its good

probably my favorite diablo2-alike

(sorry path of exile)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FMguru posted:

its good

probably my favorite diablo2-alike

(sorry path of exile)

path of exile has an assumption that you've been grinding all diablo alikes since forever and you know all of the bullshit mechanisms that have built up for decades

grim dawn is a little bit better in that you can make a gunslinger that just blasts fools

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

path of exile has an assumption that you've been grinding all diablo alikes since forever and you know all of the bullshit mechanisms that have built up for decades

grim dawn is a little bit better in that you can make a gunslinger that just blasts fools
i really wanted to like poe but after a while you cant make any progress unless you learn how to min/max all the nodes on that giant sprawling skill web (and then do that all over again every 12 months when they rebalance/rearrange the skill web) and i just wasnt willing to make that level of commitment. too bad because i really admired the publishing model (ethically free to play, the only thing spending money got you was cosmetic upgrades) and i liked some of the art design and game design choices

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FMguru posted:

i really wanted to like poe but after a while you cant make any progress unless you learn how to min/max all the nodes on that giant sprawling skill web (and then do that all over again every 12 months when they rebalance/rearrange the skill web) and i just wasnt willing to make that level of commitment. too bad because i really admired the publishing model (ethically free to play, the only thing spending money got you was cosmetic upgrades) and i liked some of the art design and game design choices

yeah they make a good game and if you like reading it has a sprawling story as well

just a lot of commitment, as you say

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

it was so bad I ended up buying MWII and even its battlefield-lite mode is miles better

congrats to DICE for making a battlefield so bad that I bought a fuckin call of duty game in 2022

2042 "works" its just a bad game

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

midnight fight express is on sale and i'm really thinking about it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

dioxazine posted:

:suspense:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dioxazine posted:

Whoa i have never heard of this before and it looks like it rules

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

Company of Heros is foreverial the best balance of combat and economy in an rts. The combat is how you drive the economy and the base building is distilled down to pretty basic elements. Too bad the sequel didn't have the same feel

none of the 40k spin offs quite worked either, despite it being a seemingly perfect setting. i think they might have leaned into unit stats mattering too much, rather than capacities (i.e. an anti tank gun should work well against a tank if it's positioned well/gets an ambush off, not get trashed anyway because it was a special mega tank).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

also the original CoH factions had a top tier level of asymmetry. everything was just so smooth and created some really exciting moments and gameplay. you could come up with and execute neat little pushes and react defensively in an incredibly legible way.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

disco elysium is on sale for $10 normally $40

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

I went the other way and got Squad

it’s so much better than BF, even BF4, it’s unreal. some of the most fun I’ve had in video games

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i was one of the fools that bought bf2042 on launch along with a friend because we wanted a team shooter to binge over the winter seasons. and god it was so bad. they eventually fixed most of the bugs but it felt like they mostly abandoned it after that. never bothered with the new maps. the game never even had a score board for months. that said in typical battlefield fashion, some of the vehicles were so over powered and broken we had a lot of fun coordinating over the phone (no squad voice chat either) and completely trolling the other side sometimes

edit:

the honest trailer sums it up pretty well, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKGIaCoPz-0

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 23, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

talkiung about other games in the rimworld thread :whitewater:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sorry

last night i finished pt1 of the archonexus ending

all of the pawns i chose to take with me had totally tricked out genes and bionic legs, arms, and eyes, plus reprocessor stomachs to offset the added hunger from the godlike genes i gave them. the new tile I chose has a cool monolith on it that i'm supposed to study for the next part

they made it way easier to acquire advanced components and other previously rare items like luciferium. I think before you could only occasionally find another faction selling 1 or 2 advanced components, and you had to craft the rest yourself, but I was able to buy them in bulk, sometimes up to 10-12 at a time. it was expensive but i had a nice little business going selling masterwork devilstrand dusters to the empire

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 23, 2022

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

disco elysium is on sale for $10 normally $40

is it good for a hard core casual gamer like me?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve not actually played it, but I know a lot of folks itt loved it

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

disco elysium is fun and casual, there's absolutely no combat or skill involved, just a lot of listening/reading dialog and making choices. you could easily finish it in a weekend if you had no other obligations. i restarted it 2 or 3 times after changing my mind about my starting stats, but never had a desire to beat it again after finishing it the first time. you could spend $10 on much worse

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep posted:

If you like the role playing parts of RPGs you'll probably really enjoy it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

President Beep posted:

do u like rpgs and/or leftism

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there is no skill component whatsoever, your speed and reflexes and perception and thumb coordination and etc will not be tested. everything is text and picking from menus, including action scenes. vast volumes of text and all extremely well written (not just by gaming standards). it's probably the game closest to a real-life pen and paper RPG session

the main character will talk about politics at every opportunity and is also an enormous fuckup who destroyed his own life, so of course goons love him

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AnimeIsTrash posted:

has babby Ciaphas grown up / died yet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

quiggy posted:

do u like rpgs and/or leftism

whoa, i think i might!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cool. it’s on switch too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

speaking of casual games, for a dad gamer such as yours truly, I really wish the folks who made ftl (neat) and into the breach (awesome) would release more stuff.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm more in the gunpoint and heat signature camp. i am hoping for tactical breach wizards to release soon

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

what's the yospos opinion on the FF7 remake? I:
* Liked the original
* Liked 12, which I believe has a similar combat system?
* do not normally like anime

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i havent played it (yet) but the combat system is I believe closer to xv/kh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

cool. it’s on switch too
it runs like rear end on switch fyi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

god dammit

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

jesus WEP posted:

didn't some patches improve this

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

speaking of casual games, for a dad gamer such as yours truly, I really wish the folks who made ftl (neat) and into the breach (awesome) would release more stuff.

have you tried chroma squad?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

President Beep posted:

it's boring.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

The Fool posted:

have you tried chroma squad?

no because “chroma” sounds too much like “troma”.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

susan b buffering posted:

didn't some patches improve this
idk, maybe. i did a switch playthrough around feb/march

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

President Beep posted:

no because “chroma” sounds too much like “troma”.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251130/Chroma_Squad/