Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mayveena posted:

By the way, the Factory Town dev is working on an idle version of Factory Town. Should be interesting!

Hmmmmm. Wonder what an idle version of Factorio would look like.

Infinite Jest is a book about a film so entertaining it's more effective than any drug and viewers lose all desire to do anything except watch repeatedly

We should be careful is all I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe something like this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250790/Crafting_Idle_Clicker/? Hopefully with less microtransactions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gimme the digital soma I need it

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Factorio idle mode exists already and it is called Seablock.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Another warning about the Floodland story mode.

It's possible to sequence break the campaign objectives. In my particular case, I built a medical tent too soon, and despite curing all my people, the objective didn't mark complete and advance to the next one until after I flipped my building to an isolation ward and back.

I kind of like the game, but I've got real reservations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jamsque posted:

Factorio idle mode exists already and it is called Seablock.

I was going to say this if someone else hadn't.

Seablock has had me run my computer when I was sleeping or going to work just to let resources build up so I could build for another hour or two when I got back. It eased up later but early on it is absolutely an idle game as you wait for resources to build up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alkydere posted:

I was going to say this if someone else hadn't.

Seablock has had me run my computer when I was sleeping or going to work just to let resources build up so I could build for another hour or two when I got back. It eased up later but early on it is absolutely an idle game as you wait for resources to build up.
My favourite production line type games are the ones where you're neither overly punished nor overly rewarded for just sitting back and watching what you've built for a while.

Remember gimmicky screensavers? I'd love a screensaver that was a procedurally generated production lines assembling itself. Like Pipes but conveyor belts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wipfmetz posted:

Yes, especially with larger towns where the walking distance hurts.

The point where I've abandoned the game was when I've tracked the source of near-constant starvations.
Well, I just followed my people around.

And there were people starving, because they decided to fetch a fish on the other side of town. And then went past well-stocked bakeries, and finally succumbed to starvation.

Ah, the Pharoah approach to citizen seeking behavior.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's tough having a high metabolism.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Is infraspace any good? Its on my list of "looks interesting keep an eye on it" and its on sale so I was considering picking it up, but wanted opinions.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anfauglir posted:

Is infraspace any good? Its on my list of "looks interesting keep an eye on it" and its on sale so I was considering picking it up, but wanted opinions.

I really bounced off of it quickly. It doesn’t really do anything super unique, feels kind of flat and lifeless. I unfortunately didn’t play long enough to have a better or more informed opinion than “doesn’t work for me.”

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've watched some people play it and it's improved a lot mechanically...but I can't get over it being a white/grey future factory built on the brownest of lifeless brown worlds.

They really try with the building animations and bright colors, and there's some actually interesting traffic puzzles but...it still looks sterile to me and I can't get over that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really bounced off of it quickly. It doesn’t really do anything super unique, feels kind of flat and lifeless. I unfortunately didn’t play long enough to have a better or more informed opinion than “doesn’t work for me.”

^this

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Potionomics just dropped a new QoL patch that:

Looks like it may be a lot more user-friendly now, going to dive back in later today.

I just picked the game up and didn't know all these filters were new. I can't imagine playing it without it. What a chore searching through the hundreds of ingredients would be. Like the poster above I'd enjoy a "save recipe" function because I never remember how I built these.

Game is good fun. I've been wanting a new recettear for years.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been putting some time in with Voxel Tycoon and having a surprisingly great time with it, I think initially when I played it fresh into EA I was a bit put off with the whole 'businesses going bankrupt if you don't supply them in time' mechanic because it made me anxious about really focusing on what had to be supplied as opposed to what I wanted to or what would be simpler to set up, but it's not so bad and you can pay a nominal fee to stop them from going bankrupt for a while if you are planning on getting something set up but don't have the money. The UI is still top notch imo for stuff like planning routes or mass vehicle replacement which is a big deal since you'll be doing that stuff a lot. However it's still a bit funky placing lines, the update Llamadeus mentioned with the rail/road rework will probably help a bit with that but it's a struggle sometimes making nice looking lines because it won't curve the way you want it to and you kinda have to trial and error it. Even moreso if there's elevation changes since you can only make straight bridges.

Edit: I also kinda like the idea of researching to progress tech. It's easy enough to just plop down a laboratory near whatever resource you need to research so it's not like you have to ship goods from all over to a lab and it sorta prevents that problem with TTD/Transport Fever where you have to dial the passage of time back because the game's running away from you while trying to become profitable enough to take advantage of new tech.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 26, 2022

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Loving Against the Storm after finally getting around to trying it after picking up in a sale a few weeks back. Strong recommend to anyone who liked Frostpunk, especially the first 10 days of a run.

One question I have that I can't find the answer to: What determines the resolve target? Sometimes its real low, other times its 30 on year 1? There might be a # of pops component, but it either not linear or offset a lot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

papersack posted:

I just picked the game up and didn't know all these filters were new. I can't imagine playing it without it. What a chore searching through the hundreds of ingredients would be. Like the poster above I'd enjoy a "save recipe" function because I never remember how I built these.

Game is good fun. I've been wanting a new recettear for years.

It was annoying, maybe now that it's fixed I'll go finish the game. I only got past the first two bosses in my first run before I just didn't open it again because I didn't want to exert the mental effort of figuring out the next set of potions for competition.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Loving Against the Storm after finally getting around to trying it after picking up in a sale a few weeks back. Strong recommend to anyone who liked Frostpunk, especially the first 10 days of a run.

One question I have that I can't find the answer to: What determines the resolve target? Sometimes its real low, other times its 30 on year 1? There might be a # of pops component, but it either not linear or offset a lot.

Each race has a fixed number, however as you gain reputation from high resolve the target also increase. How much it increase depends on the race's decadence.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenoborg posted:

Each species has a base resolve (humans 15, harpies 5 iirc) and an initial threshold (humans 30, harpies 15 again iirc). If you exceed the threshold then you start gaining prestige at a rate based on pop size, and after a fixed* amount of prestige gain the threshold for that species goes up (so exceeding the threshold with 10 harpies for 3 minutes results in the same prestige gain and threshold increase as making 30 harpies happy for 1 minute)*

* this is based on observation and testing, I can't rule out it being something fiddlier but it seems to be this straightforward and I can't see a reason why it would be more complex.

There's arguments in the discord about putting the species' base morale in the moral tooltip and some people are weirdly aggro against it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
By coincidence this popped up:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thanks all for answering the resolve question.

Another one that just popped up: Is there a hard time limit? I was sandbaging a map to explore more glades and maybe get more resources. I had enough ready to submit orders to win and plenty of impatience room to spare. Without warning I got the you lose screen and I'm not sure why. It was right at the end of a storm, so maybe there is a time limit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenoborg posted:

Thanks all for answering the resolve question.

Another one that just popped up: Is there a hard time limit? I was sandbaging a map to explore more glades and maybe get more resources. I had enough ready to submit orders to win and plenty of impatience room to spare. Without warning I got the you lose screen and I'm not sure why. It was right at the end of a storm, so maybe there is a time limit?
There's the red "Impatience" bar at the bottom right, opposite your blue one. If that hits max the queen tells you to go home and try again. It's possible something triggered a bunch of people to die/leave causing an impatience spike? Alternatively there's also the overmap's blightstorm cycle, the overmap (not your upgrades) resets every few decades. There's a chunk of leeway time where you're not allowed start a new settlement but I've never seen what happens if you are running a settlement when it hits the "real" end of the cycle, so maybe it was that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Going to talk a bit more about Voxel Tycoon after spending another few long nights with it, game's good but definitely still a bit rough in a few key ways. The interaction between signals and rails doesn't always work the way you think it should, and in most cases the big issue seems to be that signals on other rails will trigger if too close to another signal, or something along those lines. So quite often you'll get a complete gridlock because two tracks pass too close to each other (but not, like, dangerously close at all) and the lights get thrown out of whack. Guides I've seen for the game seem to be making rails much further apart than I am trying so that's one way around it but either way I remember it doing this when I played it fresh into early access and it's still happening now which kinda sucks. I think I saw someone say the dev was talking about that being a feature because trains can't pass too close to one another but I'd think a full block between each rail should be more than enough to prevent that.

Frame rate issues definitely become a problem later on too, and from what I've read the moving conveyors might have something to do with that. I've got a fairly large rail system going on now and the framerate has definitely taken a hit and hitches when scrolling around which kinda sucks but I do also have large factories now that are producing lots of goods all over the map (because that's the game) which are probably at fault.

That said, it's a really satisfying loop for a TTD style game because the map expands indefinitely around you as you buy up land and that opens up new cities with requests for things you may already be making elsewhere, so I've been trying to make a nice main railway with branches going off to the different cities and using my existing factories to feed the cities with whatever they want. It's just fun shipping mats around to make stuff at factories and keeping things stocked while grabbing new land and trying to progress through the research tree. The UI is still phenomenal and lets you do things you'll be doing a lot of like change a stop in a line or copy vehicles really easily and pretty intuitively. Since you'll be spending a lot of time in the menus it's nice to have things like shift clicking just work the way you'd expect it to or take a temporary line you set a vehicle on and save it after the fact and assign to more vehicles to it.

I hope this next update buttons up the rails/signals primarily because that stuff is a bummer and is getting quickly out of hand as I dump more and more trains into my system but the performance issues are a bit concerning too. I'm probably going to keep plugging away because I'm working towards upgrading train types and haven't seen electric stuff yet which I would like to but the performance is getting real bad so I might just have to start over from scratch at some point.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Splicer posted:

There's the red "Impatience" bar at the bottom right, opposite your blue one. If that hits max the queen tells you to go home and try again. It's possible something triggered a bunch of people to die/leave causing an impatience spike? Alternatively there's also the overmap's blightstorm cycle, the overmap (not your upgrades) resets every few decades. There's a chunk of leeway time where you're not allowed start a new settlement but I've never seen what happens if you are running a settlement when it hits the "real" end of the cycle, so maybe it was that.

To add to this, every time you get a full point on your blue Prestige bar it knocks a chunk off of your red Impatience bar. I often get Impatience near or sometimes past halfway before I really start popping off and getting my Orders, sending back supplies, etc. but it rarely matters since that starts knocking down the Queen's impatience.

And I think the game will let you finish a village/map to victory/failure no matter what.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm playing Against the Storm right now and it made me think.

It's seems that every city builder feels like it's mandatory to include mechanics for class/racial segregation?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It's not like they're being RACIALLY segregated. If you have humans, and they're different colors, they're still built the same way with the same skin and bones and whatnot. In Against the Storm, they're totally different species with different physical needs, so a house and furniture built for a Human ideal will necessarily be different than one built for Harpies or Lizards. They don't specify what those differences ARE, which is a bit of a missed opportunity, but I imagine it's things like Lizard houses being very heat-retaining, Harpy houses being soft and with perches or something, that sort of thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Lee posted:

It's not like they're being RACIALLY segregated. If you have humans, and they're different colors, they're still built the same way with the same skin and bones and whatnot. In Against the Storm, they're totally different species with different physical needs, so a house and furniture built for a Human ideal will necessarily be different than one built for Harpies or Lizards. They don't specify what those differences ARE, which is a bit of a missed opportunity, but I imagine it's things like Lizard houses being very heat-retaining, Harpy houses being soft and with perches or something, that sort of thing.
It's kind of implied from the construction materials and models. The lizard houses are full brick + cloth, which sounds pretty well insulated, and have the same visual design as all the hot buildings. The human fluff says humans are particularly sensitive to the constant rain (hence those little shell things they wear), so their brick and plank houses presumably have the same waterproofing focus I'm also particularly fond of. The harpy houses are just fancy tents (all cloth with big awnings) and the beavers' all-plank houses are presumably basically well-constructed beaver dams.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

LordSloth posted:

Another warning about the Floodland story mode.

It's possible to sequence break the campaign objectives. In my particular case, I built a medical tent too soon, and despite curing all my people, the objective didn't mark complete and advance to the next one until after I flipped my building to an isolation ward and back.

I kind of like the game, but I've got real reservations.

Yeah there's a few bugs like this where if you build something before being assigned it as a story objective then it doesn't detect it. I had to demolish my medical tent and rebuild it in order to trigger completion.

Oddly this doesn't seem to be consistent across all objectives. For instance I built a storage site at the plant before receiving it as an objective and it detected it just fine and completed it for me.

I also wish you could manually put people in each house. No idea what triggers people to actually "move" houses and I'm constantly getting that warning about long travel times even though there's an empty tent right next to the worksite.

Also annoying that you can't manually choose which clan worker is added to a jobsite. Given how much of a negative effect that intermingling clan workers has on unrest, I try and keep clans either in their own district or on opposite sides in different buildings in the same district.

So in order to only add one clan type I'm adding then removing then re-adding workers until it somehow cycles through the options. Really annoying. If you're going to penalize me for workers intermingling then let me choose which clan worker goes where. It's kind of funny for a game with such an otherwise progressive message inadvertently rewards you for avoiding race mixing or whatever. Devs are Polish right? I know Poland has some weird cultural poo poo going on but still

Otherwise really like the game. Love the renewable resource mechanic and the soundtrack is incredible (cant find a soundtrack listing anywhere so if you know what that really soulful song you get when the soundtrack changes for the first time I'd be grateful).

Mid to late game I would highly recommend dropping your graphics all the way down. It's really poorly optimized when you've got more happening and my frame rates just plummet all the time, especially when selecting something that projects a graphical radius or whatever.

Also tip that took me a bit to learn: the auto-generated text from clans showing their response to highlighted Law options is all messed up. Make sure to read the whole line to the end otherwise you'll easily mistake a negative response. You'll see confusing poo poo like:

"We just don't see eye to eye on this, do we?! Is this the future we want to build?What are we waiting for let's enact this right away!"

Like, man you're really sending mixed signals here. You want me to enact Mandatory Masking or not?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 30, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I'm playing Against the Storm right now and it made me think.

It's seems that every city builder feels like it's mandatory to include mechanics for class/racial segregation?

When they're literal different species with different cultures and biological requirements that makes more sense. Frostpunk I know has just the one scenario where the two classes of worker clash.

I dunno what other city builders have like that other than just suggesting you build homes in different neighborhoods to be close to different jobs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think broadly it's just more interesting in a city builder (from a mechanical perspective) to have separate categories of people with their own needs, than to not. Whether that's split by species or culture or class or whatever else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I dunno what other city builders have like that other than just suggesting you build homes in different neighborhoods to be close to different jobs.

Building ghettos, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Workers and resources has no mechanical reason why you shouldn't give everyone very good housing and services, other than actual scarcity making the creation of an elite class with high loyalty to indoctrinate everyone else by working in all the education and media services, a viable strategy.

But you can totally just make everyone actually happy, and while there are incentives to building the worker barracks next to the steel mill in terms of people just walking to work, it will also punish you by making them actually get sick and work poorly, so a good commuting infrastructure is preferable.

I suppose at the very top end it is desirable to give all your teachers and TV presenters expensive sports cars to really max out the amount of loyalty they generate but I would say it's far less important than just generally providing the best possible living arrangements to everybody (except cars, because you do not want to create car hell)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 30, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Workers and resources has no mechanical reason why you shouldn't give everyone very good housing and services, other than actual scarcity making the creation of an elite class with high loyalty to indoctrinate everyone else by working in all the education and media services, a viable strategy.

But you can totally just make everyone actually happy, and while there are incentives to building the worker barracks next to the steel mill in terms of people just walking to work, it will also punish you by making them actually get sick and work poorly, so a good commuting infrastructure is preferable.

I suppose at the very top end it is desirable to give all your teachers and TV presenters expensive sports cars to really max out the amount of loyalty they generate but I would say it's far less important than just generally providing the best possible living arrangements to everybody (except cars, because you do not want to create car hell)

Frustratingly, the shittier houses are also more expensive, so there's absolutely no reason why you wouldn't give your people the best buildings. I don't understand why the brick houses require more steel while also being worse, if you have coal you're making prefab panels along with bricks so why not just do prefab all day every day?

There are wooden housing mods which make this a more nuanced choice (build garbage when starting, not as good but eh you won't hang on to it anyway (this is never true))

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there aren't many reasons to build a lot of the house designs alas, other than like, if you have a tiny bit of space and one of them fits in just barely.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah there aren't many reasons to build a lot of the house designs alas, other than like, if you have a tiny bit of space and one of them fits in just barely.

The only one that's even valid for is the 43 person midrise that you can squeeze sideways as a rowhouse, most of the lovely apartments are fatter too!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SlothfulCobra posted:

When they're literal different species with different cultures and biological requirements that makes more sense. Frostpunk I know has just the one scenario where the two classes of worker clash.

AtS doesn’t have different cultures. Everyone is from the same city and serve the same faceless Empress.

I think it’s a generally fair critique that might indicate some unexamined biases by developers who include racial segregation in their games. On the other hand, games which acknowledge diverse interests and needs are both more engaging and more visually diverse than those without. As long as the game allows you to meet all needs equally if you want, I don’t think the inclusion of different races/species is inherently bad, but it does need to be handled respectfully.

Amazing Cultivation Sim has literal animal people and I don’t remember them needing special housing (beyond what every cultivator needs to suit their cultivation law/style).

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

A lot of city builders simply make "value" a function of the area around the house, which inherently creates areas which are of low value because they're near undesirable things - and adding in to that the idea that work should be close to home, and that dirty buildings are often low-class jobs anyways (mines, farms, factories, etc.) you end up naturally building lower class slums because that's what the game algorithms do and pushing back on that involves active effort by the player. Farthest Frontier and most of the Banished-likes do that, all the Sim Cities did that, Urbek does that at a very detailed level; it's the exceptions that are more notable.

Frostpunk simply ignores that - all houses are inherently valuable because they have heat, and people are randomly assigned so all your 'upper class' engineers may end up in tents while your 'lower class' workers end up in nice houses just because that's how the randomness shakes out. All of the class elements are completely abstracted, which is weird when it occasionally tries to align class to worker types (like the aforementioned engineers being assumed to be upper class and envious capitalist types).

Tropico interestingly forces you to make real decisions about levels of housing and what you're willing to deal with. Because 'housing costs' are both a government outlay and also a government income, and because environmental factors don't change the relative quality of housing, you essentially get to choose your own priorities - equitable housing at a cost to either happiness or treasury income, or stratified housing which adds to your treasury at a cost to happiness and your own time to figure out what housing is needed and where. It's that latter part that often pushes me into full communism for housing: it's easier for me to just give everyone apartments and tenements in the 4x4 chunks my road grid is set up for than it is to figure out how many houses/farmhouses/mansions/etc. they need and how to fit that into my city.

Distant Kingdoms was an Early Access fantasy world city builder where there were different races with different needs driven by their cultures - elves needed more magic shops, dwarves needed more beer, etc. - and like the "value" mechanic, segregation of races was more a function of "well I already have this area saturated with breweries and taverns for the dwarves there, I might as well keep adding more dwarves and dwarf-related stuff into that space to better satisfy the ones already living there". There were a fair number of buildings that were multi-purpose to a couple of different races, and so there were interesting ideas coming together around setting up cities with more flow and overlap, but then they ran out of money and cancelled development.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Songs of Syx does a thing where the different types of fantasy dudes want different types of housing, but its generally stuff like elves want to live outside, are good at farming, and like wooden, rounded structures, dwarves like living underground in square structures and are good at mining and industry, and humans are your brainy boys and like to work in the library and I think their gimmick is they like fancy stuff? Can't remember offhand. There's also the giants who like the swankiest stuff possible but have minimal use other than fighting (which they are very good at) and the insect dudes who don't get along with anyone else and want lots of slaves and murder all the time.

Aside from elves and dwarves liking basically dimetric opposites and the insect guys being basically incompatible with everyone else, there's not so much segregation as much as you want to build your city in a variety of different styles, they can often share services and the natural terrain of the map will mean you end up building some stuff underground, some outside, some things of different resources etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 30, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Aside from elves and dwarves liking basically dimetric opposites and the insect guys being basically incompatible with everyone else, there's not so much segregation as much as you want to build your city in a variety of different styles, they can often share services
It's the similar in Against the Storm really (except the insects thing). You don't need to make "Beaver Town" you just want B/2 beaver houses within range of your hearths if you want to maximise beaver comfort.

Also I really like how AtS isn't dwarves and elves and such. Dismissive LeVar Burton: Dwarves like ale and metalworking. Approving LeVar Burton: Beavers like wine and cutting down trees.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically syx calls them some other stuff but they're basically dwarves and elves. They're like, dondorians for dwarves, cretonians I think are the giant dudes, and I can't remember what the elves are called, other than smelly cannibals who don't bathe enough.