Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

How bad of idea is life insurance? Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good life insurance plan?

Why would you think it's a bad thing? It really depends, if you have literally no family and literally no dependents and literally nobody in your life (who would experience financial loss in event of your death) who you would want to have financial compensation if you die, then yeah I guess it's a waste of money. If not, then it's a good idea. Isn't the question here really how much you'd be paying and how much the payout would be? IE if it was 2 cents a year and the payout was several million, you wouldn't consider it a bad idea.

I have Square One for condo insurance but they don't directly offer life insurance, instead they seem to be partnered with "Goose" for that and I have no idea if they're good or bad. I've been very happy with Square One for my other insurance needs for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Life insurance is best when it's cheap and you have dependents that would be broke if you died spontaneously because you have little savings of your own to pass down. So it's best when you're young, basically. It's worthless if you're older because nine times out of ten those two things don't apply.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I don’t think it’s weird. I bought life insurance while my partner was in school, because if I’d keeled over he would have been screwed on the mortgage/housing/career situation.

I actually haven’t cancelled it yet, partly because it’s dirt cheap and partly because a family member made ominous rumblings about people needing to pay taxes on things to inherit them? I don’t know what that’s about at all but I want to look into it a little before I cancel. I don’t think it’s true if things are going to a common law spouse (maybe they were just fishing for inheritance info lol).

Edit. Wait you asked for recommendations. I spoke to a broker and I recommend doing this. For life insurance you need to fill out some paperwork to get a legit quote and how much information you need to provide varies depending on your circumstances and what type of life insurance you want, but a broker will be able to give you a sense.

kaom fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 21, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canada doesn't have an inheritance tax per se, but if you die and you don't have a spouse or surviving partner, the CRA says that all of your capital assets are "sold" for fair market value at the time of your death and your estate has to pay capital gains tax on any capital gains.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

DariusLikewise posted:

How bad of idea is life insurance? Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good life insurance plan?

do you have a mortgage and a partner who would struggle to pay it on their own? are you worried your next of kin will be stuck with your burial costs and can't float them until your estate is settled? do you make like a poo poo ton of money and have a whole parasitic apparatus sucking you dry that would wither and perish if you died? it's probably a good idea in any of these cases. probably a bad idea in any other cases

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
If you're going to need insurance it's good to start carrying it before you get too old and decrepit as well. Trying to get insurance north of 40 years old is a lot harder.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
A "good life insurance plan" depends entirely on your needs.

For most of us, that means we have a spouse who we want to not have a mortgage in case we die, and the best plan is the cheapest term insurance product you can find, covering the remaining term of your mortgage.

If you get benefits through work, keep in mind that younger, healthier employees with fewer dependents typically subsidize the rest. If you are the former, avoid buying additional insurance through your benefits. If the latter, go nuts.

Additionally, consider if work provides some baseline and include that in your assessment of how much you need.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Is anyone else having an issue with Questrade's interface? I was going to reinvest some dividends, but I can't seem to get fund information after I click on the fund in the trading window.

Can't even search the funds in their search bar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

Is anyone else having an issue with Questrade's interface? I was going to reinvest some dividends, but I can't seem to get fund information after I click on the fund in the trading window.

Can't even search the funds in their search bar.

Sorry what are you using, their website or IQ edge? Phone app?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry what are you using, their website or IQ edge? Phone app?

Sorry, I'm using their website in Chrome at work. Should have probably checked last night when I got home at least in Firefox or something, but it's just something I noticed again today.

Edit: Never mind, seems to be working now.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 5, 2022

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

My partner and I want to open a no fee chequing account to use for shared expenses that we can both transfer money into from our personal accounts. Narrowed the choices down to Simplii and Tangerine and they seem pretty much identical which is making it hard to decide. Any goon reviews on their online banking website UI and mobile UI? Ease of connecting external bank accounts for transfers in?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I haven't used simlpii since they were PC Financial so I can't comment on them recently. I use Tangerine, and while I still use it, it has problems like

1) desktop site often times out or down for maintenance
2) scheduled payments will fail silently and disappear from history if they exceed the interac daily limit
3) desktop site optimized for tablets
4) inconsistent autodecimal behavior in different sections of the app

Once it is setup it basically works though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve never had issues with the simplii app or website, the app has an intuitive UI, and I’m able to do everything I want to do on the app, outside of maybe like ordering cheques or something.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I don't know where you live but we've never paid anything for our coast capital chequing account and they're a real bank with humans

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I can't turn on "receive one-time codes via push notification" for Simplii without also getting spam. 1Password doesn't auto-fill on the Simplii website.

And that's all I can think of to distinguish the two! I'm a current Simplii user and was a Tangerine user from the ING Direct days until ~a year ago.

If either of you already has an account at CIBC or Scotiabank, there may be some value in diversifying?

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I’m in Ontario so Coast Capital is not an option. I’m with a credit union (Meridian) with real humans for my main account but nearly every bank/CU has a minimum balance req to avoid fees except a few of these online only banks as far as I can tell.

The Tangerine desktop site being optimized for tablets is a pet peeve so I think I will avoid that. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit - my partner is already with Scotiabank so having access to CIBC machines via Simplii is another good point

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 17, 2022

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm a Simplii and Tangerine customer and definitely recommend the Simplii experience. Their mobile app is easy peasy. Been a customer since they were PC financial.

The only issue I had with Simplii recently was I couldn't get 2FA codes pushed to my phone through their app. This was because they issued me a new debit card and it took ages to come in the mail. Once I logged in with the new card, I had it set back up again in no time.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Shofixti posted:

My partner and I want to open a no fee chequing account to use for shared expenses that we can both transfer money into from our personal accounts. Narrowed the choices down to Simplii and Tangerine and they seem pretty much identical which is making it hard to decide. Any goon reviews on their online banking website UI and mobile UI? Ease of connecting external bank accounts for transfers in?

Tangerine is my primary bank and honestly my biggest problem is the app just doesn't provide all the banking data I want.

I know it's saved me a poo poo ton of money over the past year or so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A big benefit I like with Simplii is that CIBC machines are handy for me for paper deposits and cash withdrawals.

I still have issues with their website and 2 factor each time with Firefox though, but I either live with it or go to Edge for banking.

e: Any of you people get a payout from the CRTC class action? https://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca

I did and when I got to receive the e-trans I get an error message that there are unacceptable symbols/characters in the counter password.... and there is not, it's only 4 letters.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 13, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
My brother dumped simplii after they wouldn't let him use the ATMs/counters during the Rogers outage.

Not that you should really be planning for a bank run type situation because chances are everything is fine, but CIBC will prefer CIBC customers in a crisis. And that's something to consider with budget banks.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

drat, was very briefly hoping we’d be getting compensation for the CRTC allowing the telcos to rip us off based on that URL.

I got mine, but had auto deposit enabled so no password issues.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
My wife is nearing the end of her 18 month maternity leave, and instead of going back to her previous job she's decided to start her own photography business. Just starting small doing outdoor family shoots, while still staying home with our kids during the day. Is there any resourses out there that can help us learn about the tax side of things? I've been doing my own taxes my whole life, and want to try and continue doing that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crell posted:

My wife is nearing the end of her 18 month maternity leave, and instead of going back to her previous job she's decided to start her own photography business. Just starting small doing outdoor family shoots, while still staying home with our kids during the day. Is there any resourses out there that can help us learn about the tax side of things? I've been doing my own taxes my whole life, and want to try and continue doing that.

I found http://www.holypotato.net/?p=1433 very useful. It cites its sources well, so if nothing else it's a guide to the dozen or two relevant pages on the CRA site. Note the link at the top to get the series of posts as a single PDF, if you prefer.

There's some province-specific stuff that isn't fully detailed in those posts, mostly iirc around naming. You'll wanna look into that too. It's not directly tax related but when it comes to making a CRA business account you'll probably want to have naming sorted.

edit: no wonder I fondly remember that page, it's got mojibake! Any excuse to say mojibake is alright with me.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 19, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hey Canadians,

I'm not Canadian. I don't read this thread. But the OP was last updated in 2013. Do you all need any mod action here? If so, please discuss amongst yourselves and let me know if there's agreement on anything that needs to done.

edit: I now see the OP posted in this thread less than 3 months ago, so hopefully (s)he will be able to act on anything needed in the OP itself!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

pmchem posted:

Hey Canadians,

I'm not Canadian. I don't read this thread. But the OP was last updated in 2013. Do you all need any mod action here? If so, please discuss amongst yourselves and let me know if there's agreement on anything that needs to done.

edit: I now see the OP posted in this thread less than 3 months ago, so hopefully (s)he will be able to act on anything needed in the OP itself!

If the housing bubble here ever pops well let you know, lol.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Only complete catastrophe will necessitate a change

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

slidebite posted:

A big benefit I like with Simplii is that CIBC machines are handy for me for paper deposits and cash withdrawals.

I still have issues with their website and 2 factor each time with Firefox though, but I either live with it or go to Edge for banking.

e: Any of you people get a payout from the CRTC class action? https://www.crtclassactioncanada.ca

I did and when I got to receive the e-trans I get an error message that there are unacceptable symbols/characters in the counter password.... and there is not, it's only 4 letters.

Yeah I got my crt settlement. The E-transfer went through for me. And a friend of mine got theirs too with no issues

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a question regarding documents for renting. I'm filling out an application and the landlords are asking for me to include a credit report. I went online to Transunion, made an account and downloaded a consumer disclosure pdf with my info on file. Is this what they need or is it something else? The document says it should only be for personal use so I don't know if it's actually what is needed for the rental application or if the rental application is using muddied wordings and I actually need a different piece of documentation for my credit info.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, in Ontario the Human Rights Code does not apply if you share a bathroom with your landlord or landlord’s family.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I have a question regarding documents for renting. I'm filling out an application and the landlords are asking for me to include a credit report. I went online to Transunion, made an account and downloaded a consumer disclosure pdf with my info on file. Is this what they need or is it something else? The document says it should only be for personal use so I don't know if it's actually what is needed for the rental application or if the rental application is using muddied wordings and I actually need a different piece of documentation for my credit info.

I haven't rented in a few years , but at that time i consented to let them do a credit check, but never had to give them one myself.

I happen to have the one free per year copy you can get, but if I didn't and were in your shoes, that online report is what id likely give them (assuming just asking them isn't feasible, I know how some rental markets are right now).

And yeah, your tenant rights are zilcho if your landlord lives there. 😭. Don't rent with a landlord, or a building newer than 2018, if you can avoid it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it's the same in BC, if you share space with the landlord the RTB stuff doesn't apply.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

*looks at stock market* :dogstare:

Hey uh did you maybe lose money on an investment this year? This article might be worth a read.

I was well aware that one could apply losses to future gains, but I wasn't aware at all that you could apply it to preceding years.

quote:

Tax-loss selling can turn 2022 losses into 2023 gains

2022 is a year most stock market investors will want to put behind them. But there could be a silver lining in this year’s carnage for investors who dump their dogs before the year ends.

It’s called tax-loss selling and it brings an opportunity to use those equity market losses to recoup tax paid on capital gains in the past, or eliminate tax on capital gains in the future.

HOW TAX-LOSS SELLING WORKS

Tax-loss selling permits capital losses from equity investments to be applied against taxes paid on capital gains as far back as three years, or into the future indefinitely. Because half of capital gains in a non-registered trading account are taxed, half of capital losses can eliminate the taxes on capital gains dollar-for-dollar.

If you accumulated $10,000 in capital gains during last year’s market rally and claimed the required $5,000 as income, as an example, $10,000 in capital losses will get you a full refund.

If you haven’t paid tax on capital gains this year or the previous two years, those capital losses can be used to lower or eliminate tax on capital gains at any point in the future.

SEPARATING THE DOGS FROM THE SLEEPING GIANTS

Any qualified tax expert will tell you to never make investment decisions based solely on tax implications, and deciding what to sell for tax-loss selling is no different.

Even good stocks fall in a broad market dip and the last thing you want to do is dump a stock that is poised to take off. That’s why it’s important to formulate a strategy well before the end of the year. A qualified advisor can help separate the sleeping giants from the dogs.

One thing to keep in mind: U.S. equities have taken a far bigger hit than Canadian equities so far this year, but the U.S. dollar has strengthen considerably against the Canadian dollar. Losses can be tempered by selling U.S. dollar denominated equities and converting the cash to Canadian dollars.

BEWARE OF THE SUPERFICIAL LOSS RULE

As with any tax strategy, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has strict rules when it comes to tax-loss selling.

The most important is called the superficial loss rule, which prohibits the repurchase of the same stock within 30 days of the tax-loss sale. The superficial loss rule applies to repurchases in any registered or non-registered account in the name of the account holder, and even the account holder’s spouse. If you want to repurchase the same stock you must wait at least 31 days from the sale.

USING A TFSA AND RRSP FOR MORE TAX SAVINGS

It’s important to note that tax-loss selling, or tax on capital gains does not apply to investments in registered accounts, including a registered retirement saving plan (RRSP) or a tax free savings account (TFSA).

The tax savings from tax-loss selling, however, can generate further tax savings by shifting the proceeds from a non-registered account to registered accounts.

While half of capital gains are taxed in a non-registered account, the tax on capital gains in a TFSA is zero. Capital gains in a RRSP are fully taxed when withdrawn in retirement, along with income and original contributions, but investors are permitted to deduct their contributions from their taxable income.

RRSP contributions made before March 1 can be deducted from 2022 income or carried forward to future years when your tax burden is heavier. With both the RRSP and TFSA, capital losses don’t apply from a tax perspective because capital gains are never directly taxed in the first place.

There are other specific rules set out by the CRA for tax loss selling and contributing to registered accounts, which must be followed, so consider speaking with a tax professional.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

A qualified advisor can help separate the sleeping giants from the dogs.

That’s why qualified advisors always beat the market!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Femtosecond posted:

*looks at stock market* :dogstare:

Hey uh did you maybe lose money on an investment this year? This article might be worth a read.

I was well aware that one could apply losses to future gains, but I wasn't aware at all that you could apply it to preceding years.

Qualified advisor would probably have you in ETFs so you can harvest without worrying about changing strategy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I also just discovered that you can deduct qualified US-recipient donations against US-sourced income, up to 75% of said US-sourced income. Wish I'd known that for the last several years, though most of my giving is in Canada. (I was just never submitting US donation receipts to my accountant, and they never asked about them. I bet they knew all along!)

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Applying losses against previous years is wild, guess that’s to help you out if you’re in a bad spot now with no sign of market recovery?

Too bad for me that my losses were in my TFSA but paying down my mortgage was worth it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kaom posted:

Applying losses against previous years is wild, guess that’s to help you out if you’re in a bad spot now with no sign of market recovery?

Too bad for me that my losses were in my TFSA but paying down my mortgage was worth it.

Isn't it impossible to know if paying down your mortgage is worth it unless you have a very good idea of the expected returns of that money in the market or other investment? I ask as a mortgage haver. I always thought the rule was that if your expected returns were greater than the mortgage rate you were better off investing it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kaom posted:

I'm not sure what the rationale is, but I somehow got the idea that intentionally taking losses (e.g. tax loss harvesting) is not terribly useful unless you have an eligible previous year gain (as opposed to "banking" the loss to use against some future gain). If you have a gain you can apply a loss to, though, it's also very easy to do so no reason not to.

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it impossible to know if paying down your mortgage is worth it unless you have a very good idea of the expected returns of that money in the market or other investment? I ask as a mortgage haver. I always thought the rule was that if your expected returns were greater than the mortgage rate you were better off investing it.

That's the beep boop financial robot rule of thumb, yep. Some people figure the psychological benefit from paying off debt more than makes up the difference compared to potential invested gains. As a non-mortgage haver I've not tested it for myself.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For the record, any kind of tax loss "harvesting" is more marketing speak than actually useful for long-term returns. At its core it's nothing more than a tax deferral, you will have to pay it one day, it does however act like a small interest free loan from the CRA during that period. You also can't just sell and reacquire the same securities, it needs to be different companies or at least track a different enough index, or you need to take yourself out of the market for 30 days. Probably not worth the hassle for an average investor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sure, carrying a loss back 3 years is fine, but what's really wild is that you can carry forward a loss to apply it against any profit that you might make over the next 10 years.