Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I got a couple....last year was a wonderful thanksgiving with my mother who had become sober in may of that year for the first time in her life. Everything was looking up and we had a great time as a family with my in-laws for the first time! Then she choked to death a week or two later. Christmas was bad!

Also I remember one time I got drunk on Christmas night and told my father in law that he hated women and was a chauvinist and a racist. Maybe true, but not fun to think about later!

Anyway I know the holidays are depressing for a lot of other people. Why is that so? What makes them depressing for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Last Easter I spent with the ex:
Everyone but us over the age of 14 being blind raging drunk.

Her cousin doing coke with his mother in the bathroom.

Her other cousins's boyfriend doing the nod on the couch while on an unknown cocktail of narcotics.

Her other other cousin screaming obscenities at her mother then driving off drunk.

The argument we had when I said that having our kids around them was a terrible idea.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Those dudes like to party

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I was eight years old, my affluent aunt got me a plain trucker’s cap, a deck of playing cards, and a cheap water bottle (that looked used) in a crumpled-up brown paper bag (that looked like someone had their lunch in it prior) with my name Sharpied on it (poorly) for Christmas at the family gathering.

That same aunt came over to my mom’s house on New Year’s Day this year to talk with my mom and asked her, “you know, I know your husband is dead and all, but don’t you think it’s time for your daughter to move on and get over it already?” since my sister had been posting memorials of him on Facebook. He died in November of last year, and it had only been two months at the time.

Yeah, my aunt is an insensitive rear end.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
My mom has these 5 Large Adult Brothers who were mostly in their teens/early 20s when I was the only kid in my family, and pretty much every year they'd destroy one of my toys while playing with it. They are all drunks now except the one who everybody thinks is a pedo and a few years back when Uncle A asked me why I never go to their cabin with them I told them it was because last Christmas Uncle B had cornered me and asked me what it was like to be a failure in life. They all kind of stay away from me now and it is pretty sweet.

Also, one Christmas when I was 5 or 6 Santa stopped by our house at like 10 PM the week before Christmas and our parents woke us up to hang out and take pictures with him eating cookies. I'm pretty sure he was just some random guy from our somewhat sketchy neighborhood who showed up without warning.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

When I was ~not sure but younger than 13, my mother woke me up at midnight on new years day and she and her methed out friends made me flee down the icy road in my underwear while they fired roman candles at me.

I've shared this memory before, because it's probably the most interesting. It was really horrific at the time but it doesn't really affect me in the long run. Like, I don't like Christmas, but it's not for reasons like that. And I like New Years.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

My aunt got super drunk and ended up getting attacked by our dog on Thanksgiving when I was 13. She was completely blasted and lied down next to our newly adopted skittish former racing greyhound and put her face right up against the dog's and stared directly into it's eyes while repeating "I am one with this dog." If you don't know staring a dog right in the eyes up close is about the most aggressive thing you can do so she bit the gently caress out of her face and I had to spend the night helping my mom deal with her sister in the hospital.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The last Thanksgiving I had with my maternal grandparents, half of us were convinced my grandfather poisoned at least one of the foods. We convened after to figure out what he'd eaten and I, at five years old, distinctly remember being terrified that I had eaten the mashed potatoes and he hadn't.

Ended up not being poisoned but there was later suspected poisoning in that side of the family, so the fear was real.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
People it the poo poo I make when noticeable sweat leaks into it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Around the christmas season when I was 14 or so these all happened
-Great (great?) grandma died, I dunno. Not a big deal she was really very old.
-My extended family all lived an 8 hour car ride away, when I was a kid I'd hangout at my aunts, and there was a kid my age there she all but adopted. We'd hangout the once a year I was in town. Dunno what the story is, but he murdered my aunt with a baseball bat.
-A local friend of the family went batshit and murdered her newborn son.

Wasn't the best 2 months.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjo7KsIscXM

I cant spell his name but don't look into his doodle pad.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This one Thanksgiving, Zeluth got drunk and started posting videos in random threads again.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Freddy, you Dad voted for trump and you went to San Francisco. You took too many drugs to get away. Your Dad still exist but needs a platform. YOur sisters are here to help

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

one time my uncle died like 2 days before christmas

never met him. my parents left to drive 12 hours away to his funeral the day after xmas and i got to play a shitload of civ2 and watch matlock with my grandpa

i hated it then, but i gotta say gramps was right. matlock rules

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

The first time that I met my husband's family was fun.

I didn't get any sleep the night before, I was sick, and I got aggressively bad airplane ear during our flight's descent.

His dad was waiting for us when we got off the plane, and he tried making small talk with me, but I couldn't understand any of it. I kept struggling to explain to him that I couldn't hear him, but he and my guy kept right on talking. It was painfully awkward. Hours later, my ears hadn't popped yet. I'd had to cringe-grin and shrug my way through hour after hour of conversation, as my guts folded into origami. I felt like all of my insomnia-inducing fears about humiliating myself in front of the in-laws were coming to life, and I couldn't escape the situation.

To top it all off, my man, my sister-in-law, and the folks decided that after dinner was a great time to play a card game together. Again, I tried to explain that I couldn't hear worth a gentle caress, I was feeling sick, and was falling asleep on my feet. From what I could understand of what they were yelling at me, they all said that it would be fine, and that I should play.

I held it together for about ten or fifteen minutes. I was sweating, feeling like I was going to black out, I couldn't understand the game or anything they were saying, and my stomach was cramping. I excused myself, ran to the bathroom, and shat blood.

And, I cried.

My ears finally popped.

When my husband came downstairs to check on me, he said "Oh. We all thought you ran away because you were doing so bad at the game!" :imunfunny:

I collapsed, and fell asleep. Had to spend several more days with them after making this sparkling entrance.
Fortunately, they all turned out to be legit cool people. We got along after that, but the memory of that trip still haunts me.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

32-bit Siren posted:

I didn't get any sleep the night before, I was sick, and I got aggressively bad airplane ear during our flight's descent.

His dad was waiting for us when we got off the plane, and he tried making small talk with me, but I couldn't understand any of it. I kept struggling to explain to him that I couldn't hear him, but he and my guy kept right on talking. It was painfully awkward. Hours later, my ears hadn't popped yet. I'd had to cringe-grin and shrug my way through hour after hour of conversation, as my guts folded into origami. I felt like all of my insomnia-inducing fears about humiliating myself in front of the in-laws were coming to life, and I couldn't escape the situation.

To top it all off, my man, my sister-in-law, and the folks decided that after dinner was a great time to play a card game together. Again, I tried to explain that I couldn't hear worth a gentle caress, I was feeling sick, and was falling asleep on my feet. From what I could understand of what they were yelling at me, they all said that it would be fine, and that I should play.

I held it together for about ten or fifteen minutes. I was sweating, feeling like I was going to black out, I couldn't understand the game or anything they were saying, and my stomach was cramping. I excused myself, ran to the bathroom, and shat blood.

And, I cried.

My ears finally popped.

When my husband came downstairs to check on me, he said "Oh. We all thought you ran away because you were doing so bad at the game!" :imunfunny:

I collapsed, and fell asleep. Had to spend several more days with them after making this sparkling entrance.
Fortunately, they all turned out to be legit cool people. We got along after that, but the memory of that trip still haunts me.

i'm glad it worked out. my mother in law refuses to travel on planes because she gets bad airplane ear. apparently its a nightmare.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Malkof posted:

Last Easter I spent with the ex:
Everyone but us over the age of 14 being blind raging drunk.

Her cousin doing coke with his mother in the bathroom.

Her other cousins's boyfriend doing the nod on the couch while on an unknown cocktail of narcotics.

Her other other cousin screaming obscenities at her mother then driving off drunk.

The argument we had when I said that having our kids around them was a terrible idea.

drat! what do you do on new year?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One year a bunch of Russians had convinced their own military that I did a blue dab about 19 years ago and was part of a vampire cult that was going to make a coup on the US, in order to not be killed for non-contract fulfillment. They had co-opted a bunch of monsters and scenesters and convinced them that they had to orchestrate an emergency surgery to remedy the situation. Of course it was a no budget thing and it was only the materials at hand plus a goring tool. Which of course wasn’t a goring tool at all but a surgical tool that had to be balanced with extremely basic components. All they needed was a link and door access. So amongst other things, they began recommending my parents, who I hadn’t seen in about 20 years, leave the house and let them tap in to some lovely hologram that doesn’t even look like them while the operate. :airquote:. Among the things they convinced people they needed to do was lace the house with bug spray, spray my father down with bug spray, spray me and all my poo poo down with bug spray, so no bugs were crawling around during the surgery :airquote:. Of course the goring is extremely acidic, so a futile effort to pH balance this poo poo by any means (which obviously wouldn’t work at all because the tool is configured as an acid burning goring tool), so people were convinced to run a pipe into my dads ebook reader and run lethal amounts of base into my house. Other things included lining washed cups with soap, hoping I would drink it by accident (of I course I would! I love soap) and prepping the area by keeping and actively promoting the stupidest and most manipulable people on set and shoving my own biological family out the door. Well woops they didn’t succeed, but only thanks to me and only me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

32-bit Siren posted:

And, I cried.

My ears finally popped.

Your husband sounds like an oblivious jerk, hope he’s learned to take you seriously.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of course the thing that caused the panic and the necessity in the first place was that people couldn’t gently caress me in the same room that my family was in, so of course this meant all sorts of other things, one being that I need to let expatriated Russians do amateur surgery on me and gore me out to make things ok to the point where we can just gently caress each other in front of our parents like the good old days (there weren’t ever any good old days).

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

:eyepop:

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 25, 2022

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But then the annual holidays just kind of blur together for me. The next year became a continuous and vulgar presentation of software, to me, for inclusion in my core, that included military libraries that were built on electronic bonds that were made from child molestation. There was a new argument every two weeks, a new or renewed warrant on me every 2 weeks, and sometimes the mess would be cleaned up before then, sometimes not. I would get over 3 hours of sleep a night maybe 2, 3 days out of a two week period. The argument was always, “this is my weapon, it has always worked, it doesn’t work now, this is your fault, it is your responsibility to fix it”. In every instance it was just simply bad code that caused a ground state that killed one party and not the other, and the worst code and worst people were promoted to the top as if it was the most effective. It was just simply the code that causes the most violations that cause a ground state before they can become violations. So people have been actively promoting their worst and most incompetent. Anyways out of all of this a guy struck a pregnant woman to impress me to include his old poo poo, some people had some failed rape attempts, guy shot off a gun and nearly shot himself, rattled his nerves at least. And the whole thing has been to impress me on this corrupted poo poo. It never stops. The argument is never over. “It’s not our fault, it never was, we will keep using this poo poo until it kills us or you, it is more important than life”. This argument that incest and child rape is OK so long as it produces an effective weapon for YOU has persisted through almost two holiday seasons now. And so far the only people they seem to want to kill with this poo poo are me and my biological family and anyone they can’t look up on a government database.

It’s so stupid too, everything any of that bullshit code has ever accomplished could be done with a length of lead sauter that touches the target and the ground.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 25, 2022

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm Dutch se we didn't have Thanksgiving. Still, December has two present giving holidays, Christmas and Sinterklaas (Dutch christmas) on the 5th. In my experience, most families choose to do presents on one of the two, usually Sinterklaas when the kids are young enough to stull believe, leaving Christmas as the more extendes family oriented (and religious) event. My mum's birthday is the 5th so when we got old enough to stop doing presents we started focusing on that instead of combining it with the holiday.

No real bad memories, though. My immediate family is pretty cool and my extended family isn't close because gently caress em.

I do remember one Sinterklaas though when we were younger, me age 12 and my sister 10, and for once we visited my aunts, uncles and grandma to celebrate. There were gifts, tons for cousins but only one each for me and my sister because we were going to celebrate our own Sinterklaas at home later with our own presents but my grandma didn't want us to feel left out or something. First and only time I remember her actually being somewhat caring.

My sister got this really beautiful and expensive golden necklace and I got this nasty old rubber Donald Duck mask. You see, my grandma hated my father for pulling my mom out of her control and by extension hated me, but still had a soft spot for my sister.

gently caress that part of the family and how they treated my mom and us. I'm glad we cut them off even though it means they cut us off too and it means we're not rich like my aunts and uncles are.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

The favorite terrible would be when my mom's alcoholism was at its worst and around mothers day I'd get invited to my then-girlfriend, now wife's house for dinner. It was fun and the people were nice.

I was a non-employed student at the time and after that it was time to go to visit my mom and I didn't have the confidence to tell my gf that it might not work out (or that my mom was a mess), so for years I put up a show buying flowers and stuff and a bus ticket, both of which I couldn't really afford, and at the last minute i told my gf something had come up and I'd better just go have coffee and meet my mom with my siblings.

In reality I took the bus to town, gave the flowers to some stranger and sat on a park bench for 2 hours before taking the bus home. No use event going to my moms house home as she'd be too drunk to realize I was there just sleeping. Where I live it's usually below freezing temperatures at the time so it was pretty bad.

She got sober almost 10 years ago, which makes this a favorite as it reminds me things can truly change for the better.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I spent Christmas Eve with a high school girlfriend's family. We watched "Master of Disguise" before dinner, and then at dinner my girlfriend's mom asked me if I thought my girlfriend and I were soulmates. When I said I was too young to decide something like that, she looked really sad.

Then she goes "Yeah, I don't think my husband and I are soulmates either". I just kind of focused on eating ham at that point. When I got home I told my parents about that weird conversation and my dad went "Yeah that's pretty hosed up".

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

I spent Christmas Eve with a high school girlfriend's family. We watched "Master of Disguise" before dinner, and then at dinner my girlfriend's mom asked me if I thought my girlfriend and I were soulmates. When I said I was too young to decide something like that, she looked really sad.

Then she goes "Yeah, I don't think my husband and I are soulmates either". I just kind of focused on eating ham at that point. When I got home I told my parents about that weird conversation and my dad went "Yeah that's pretty hosed up".

Did you wander into a Tennessee Williams play?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Being forced to go to church.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

i must compose posted:

I got a couple....last year was a wonderful thanksgiving with my mother who had become sober in may of that year for the first time in her life. Everything was looking up and we had a great time as a family with my in-laws for the first time! Then she choked to death a week or two later. Christmas was bad!

Jesus Christ.

Sorry man! :(

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
One year my aunt over did it on whatever she was into at the time and passed out face first into her plate of turkey. I was like six, so I thought it was pretty hilarious.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Me and my lil bro ate like five pounds of dove chocolate caramel candies one Christmas and were like exorcist vomiting all night in bed

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

20 Blunts posted:

Me and my lil bro ate like five pounds of dove chocolate caramel candies one Christmas and were like exorcist vomiting all night in bed

Hah there was one Easter when I was probably four or five and I obviously immediately consumed every single piece of candy I got in my basket that morning before we went out for brunch later in the day. During the meal, my mom suddenly looks over at me and says to my dad "haljordan doesn't look too good..." at which point I proceeded to vomit up everything I had eaten. Apparently it was a very neat vomit from what my mom tells me and it mainly all landed directly on my plate.

There was another Easter when I was like, 21 or 22 and I took some acid the night before and was up all night tripping. I literally hid in my bed until 3pm or so when I had to go down to eat with my parents and my grandma. I was still seeing tracers and poo poo so I just stuffed a bunch of food into my facehole and fled back upstairs.

Also this wasn't a terrible memory or anything, but one New Years' Eve myself along with my brother, his girlfriend and two of their friends all went down to NYC to go to a club. We walked by Times Square on our way there and to this day, I still cannot comprehend how many people were packed into the area. Every single square block for what seemed like miles was just a sea of humanity. It doesn't really do it justice when you watch it on TV or whatever. It was like the crowds from 15 different NFL games had suddenly emptied out into the streets of Manhattan all at once. Unreal.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 25, 2022

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Every year one of us would have some stomach/respiratory virus and spread it to the rest of us so we all spent every Christmas being sick. This went on until my parents retired from their public school jobs and all of us were out of college. I think the worst was when an infection spread to my ears and got so bad I had to go to the hospital. I think my mother secretly wanted us all to get sick because nursing us back to health made her feel like she was being a good mother.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

32-bit Siren posted:

And, I cried.

My ears finally popped.

I get it. I'm extremely hesitant to travel internationally because on multiple occasions my ears didn't pop for several days after long flights, even if when wearing earplugs.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Taeke posted:

I'm Dutch se we didn't have Thanksgiving. Still, December has two present giving holidays, Christmas and Sinterklaas (Dutch christmas) on the 5th. In my experience, most families choose to do presents on one of the two, usually Sinterklaas when the kids are young enough to stull believe, leaving Christmas as the more extendes family oriented (and religious) event. My mum's birthday is the 5th so when we got old enough to stop doing presents we started focusing on that instead of combining it with the holiday.

No real bad memories, though. My immediate family is pretty cool and my extended family isn't close because gently caress em.

I do remember one Sinterklaas though when we were younger, me age 12 and my sister 10, and for once we visited my aunts, uncles and grandma to celebrate. There were gifts, tons for cousins but only one each for me and my sister because we were going to celebrate our own Sinterklaas at home later with our own presents but my grandma didn't want us to feel left out or something. First and only time I remember her actually being somewhat caring.

My sister got this really beautiful and expensive golden necklace and I got this nasty old rubber Donald Duck mask. You see, my grandma hated my father for pulling my mom out of her control and by extension hated me, but still had a soft spot for my sister.

gently caress that part of the family and how they treated my mom and us. I'm glad we cut them off even though it means they cut us off too and it means we're not rich like my aunts and uncles are.

did you wear the donald duck mask while you were robbing their house when you got into your teens?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Das Boo posted:

The last Thanksgiving I had with my maternal grandparents, half of us were convinced my grandfather poisoned at least one of the foods. We convened after to figure out what he'd eaten and I, at five years old, distinctly remember being terrified that I had eaten the mashed potatoes and he hadn't.

Ended up not being poisoned but there was later suspected poisoning in that side of the family, so the fear was real.

Lol this story is loving insane, then the drop you were 5 is :staredog:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My mom took me to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade when I was 4, and it is one of the most miserable childhood memories I have. It wasn't fun, that was the year that there was supposed to be a Sonic the Hedgehog float but something happened to it so I was even LESS enthusiastic, I was bored and freezing, and the first time my mom asked me if I wanted to go home, I said yes. :smith:

We talked about it yesterday (31 years later) and my mom was like, "I didn't know you hated it, you were so quiet!" and I explained to her that I was more frozen & bummed out than tantrum-ly enraged. "It wasn't like [least favorite uncle's first wife's] wedding [at which I, age 6, literally hysterically cried during the entire ceremony] or anything," I elaborated, at which point she completely understood.

edit: Uh, well, I feel pretty innocent here. My family's various scandals aren't really things that CAN come up during holidays.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 25, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

may I have the story behind that wedding?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

SilvergunSuperman posted:

may I have the story behind that wedding?

She was a total bitch and I hated her. :shrug: When I was more grown up (when they were LONG divorced), I found out that basically everyone except my groom uncle was feeling exactly how I was feeling, and they were somewhat jealous that I could express it so openly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

lol that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
In hindsight it was great pretty much saying what everyone was thinking, but crying that long is tiring as hell