Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
cat food and dog food are the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Don't feed cats dogs food. It doesn't have enough taurine and they get eyesight and heart problems. I learned this when I was like 8 years old and read a book called "the cat who couldn't see in the dark." Hth op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They are not, op.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my cat says otherwise and she is a bad customer op

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Cats are obligate carnivores. Dogs are not.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
yes and no. it's like giving a boy the girl happy meal toy at mcdonald's. technically you could, but god doesn't like it

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Guys, the OP is a physician, who are we to question?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

mods plz probate the OP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

cats HATE vegetables. They're like spoiled children!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Let's go to the source and ask the cats and dogs in the room

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the tagline on my catfood is "tastes just as good as it looks" and jesus i hope not.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I feed my cats dry food and I always wonder what they get so excited about. it’s the same meal every day. all I can guess is that they’re putting some kind of drug in there to get the cats addicted to eating that stuff

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Actually cat food is made from cat and dog food is made from dog so they are different

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Capybaras and possums can't tell the difference.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dixville posted:

Don't feed cats dogs food. It doesn't have enough taurine and they get eyesight and heart problems. I learned this when I was like 8 years old and read a book called "the cat who couldn't see in the dark." Hth op

its true, cats need that taurine. Also feed your cats the more expensive cat food and they will have better fur.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what did catdog eat

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Nooner posted:

what did catdog eat

Each other's turds.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nooner posted:

what did catdog eat

rear end

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

they don't even taste the same WTF

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

As someone who has taste tested dry and wet cat and dog food, no they are not, OP.

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
My cat really likes lettuce but cats are obligate carnivores so who is to say what is correct?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I bet the nicer canned cat foods might taste ok, like a pate or something.

Dog food seems like it's probably all gross.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Cats can eat things other than meat, it just doesn't fulfill their nutritional needs.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I bet the nicer canned cat foods might taste ok, like a pate or something.

Dog food seems like it's probably all gross.

Wet dog food tastes like a bland beef stew. Dry dog food tastes like artificial beef and vegetables.

Wet cat food tastes like fish or chicken depending on the flavor mix. Dry cat food is pretty bitter and I can’t really place a flavor.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My dog and I eat the same thing most weekdays so I can buy in bulk and make large amounts.

Dog/human food recipe is ground turkey, brown rice, shredded carrots and peas. Leave it unseasoned for dog and I'll season my portion with hot sauce/whatever while warming it up. Quick good food.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

OP is not a qualified veterinarian.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Grape Nuts is cat food

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe stop buying the Dollar Tree cat food OP?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I'm actually a cat irl meow meow

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cats should only be fed deep saucers of heavy cream. For felines, diarrhea is a sign of good health.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The definitely taste different, and crunch a little differently too

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Cats need taurine, as well as other stuff, as they are obligate carnivores, while dogs are "mostly" carnivores but can get energy and nutrition from sugar sources (fruits, plants) if they can't get meat. Cats cannot. They actually have what's called a "faulty sweet receptor" gene, which means they are completely missing the gene for being able to taste sweetness. (This goes for all feline species alive today.) Sugar does nothing for them. They make a small amount of energy from sugar, but not nearly enough to survive on. Cats need herbivores to make the various amino acids and other nutrients they need, which they kill and eat. That's nature.

Like other posters mentioned, taurine is one of the most important proteins for cats, because a deficiency in it has the most immediate effect... cells in the eyes begin to die, which is permanent. This is why a lot of stray cats are blind.

Cats (like a lot of animals) are lactose intolerant. Kittens make lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose. That goes away as they age. (Same with many other kinds of mammals.)

The cat and dog food brand I recommend is Wellness.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

thats racist

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Even though I knew it wasn't good for him, I used to give my cat ice cream. He really liked it. :\

It sucked when he got chronic renal failure and I had to switch to a lovely "rx" pet food with by-products that had to have super low levels of phosphorous and other things like that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mr. Meagles posted:

My dog and I eat the same thing most weekdays so I can buy in bulk and make large amounts.

Dog/human food recipe is ground turkey, brown rice, shredded carrots and peas. Leave it unseasoned for dog and I'll season my portion with hot sauce/whatever while warming it up. Quick good food.

Hell yea. I steam sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach and banana and combine with some rice and ground meat of varying kinds just to be fun. I have a small dog so I put some in a ziploc and make a couple of creases in the bag and then put them in the freezer. When he eats I just warm up a puck of food, mix with a bit of water for hydration and he’s happy as can be. :3:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
loving idiots and OP are the same thing LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
My dog doesn't really like it's dog food, but man she loving loves the cat food - wet or dry. Is cat food so much yummier to dogs than its own food? Dog also eats her own poo poo so I dunno.